Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I agree Dark Souls 2 is better than the first overall. I feel like DS1 had better level design with the way it was all layered where as in DS2 its all sort of spider webbed out from Majula. Combat in DS2 is actually better and less gimmicky because it focuses significantly less on how many invincibility frames you have while rolling imo. The bosses also reflect this and are a bit more fair to someone that doesn't just roll through pretty much everything and instead blocks. Sticking to the left leg got really old though they probably should have swapped which directions you could dodge the ability from the easiest around more than they did. The atmosphere/music is just as good and the story just as deep if you look for it. It's actually directly related to the first dark souls and there's A LOT of connection between the two which is probably why its Dark Souls 2 instead of X Souls.

Only boss I'd really say was reused was the old dragonslayer. Essentially just half of a darksouls boss but that was fine. I was personally happy to see the guy and it wasn't a very pivotal part of the story or anything. Just a cool throwback and interesting moment for anyone into the lore trying to piece together how he could possibly be in both games.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-04-25 at 05:04 AM.

I had a little bit of hype for Dark Souls 2, none for 1 (Didn't care for it at the time) and didn't really want to try Demon's Souls at the time either. Eventually I tried Dark Souls 1 first (Prepare to die edition), than Demon's Souls, and finally Dark Souls 2. To my liking of Demon's Souls, it actually had a resource for magic and the ability to cast as much as you want so long as you had enough regeneration items, or patience with that one ring. Now we are stuck with charges which is stupid, and I don't know why it was changed. Regardless, the game is just as tedious and hard if you make it out to be.

I have to say Dark Souls 2 made a lot more fights made arbitrarily hard if you didn't have enough stats + right weapon to stagger or pile drive them. Of course you could use the alternative to summoning an NPC to help you fight, as that always is some kind of help ('Less it's the jester, who can solo). With the help of one other person, if you so choose.

However it was mostly a chore to play through as melee, even when I replayed a bit of it on a new character. The game is just like the ones before it though, magic makes it stupidly easy if you know how to dodge. Granted I played through it as a non-shield wearer until the very tail-end of the game beforehand; it just seems stupid that I could progress with pitiful health and stamina stats because I killed everything before it got to me. In some kind of hindsight, it seems like a neat thing to do because a lot of people seem to mess with melee first before magic. And to play with magic after grueling melee fights with NPC / Players, and just trailblaze everything is a nice feeling at first.

EDIT: Played it on PS3, didn't care enough to wait a month just to get 60 FPS and 1080p with some minor filters. Biggest downside is loading times, but eventually you will get good enough where the only loading screens you hit are the teleporting / invasion ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
    Contemplating buying this when it comes out in 2 days. Anything I should check out to get hyped up for it? I haven't played DS1, but I saw a few things and want to give it a try.
    Durante, the guy that made dsfix, did a quick overview of it a week ago and pretty much proclaimed the PC port to be well done. Not perfect, but completely functional and shouldn't require any outside tinkering to be playable and look nice.

Considering he's the name behind dsfix, I'm inclined to mean that there's nothing to worry about at least as far as graphics and gameplay functionality go.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Can a 750ti 4670 max this game at 1080p 60fps? the graphics seem pretty awful but I just wanted to be sure.

well tbh i had some hype for DS 2 but to be honest it's just a damn farce what they put out there >.<

for A LOT of people the game won't even start up because of problems with DVI and dual monitor setups...
    also the menu's are clunky as all hell to navigate with keyboard and mouse since everything is still in stupid controller layouts...
    and let's not forget that if you try to mess with the resolution (with keyboard and mouse anyway) the game has a high chance to just crash.
    and lastly there weren't even ANY wide screen resolutions available only 4:3 ratio resolutions no 16:9 nor 16:10 which in this age is just retarded >.<

and there are more issue's but that's just what i've noticed (and i haven't even been able to start a game because those things.

anyway there will be no chance in hell i'll play this moronic excuse of a "port" until it gets patched or modded (though i've heard that that isn't even possible anymore)

(ok i just had to vent this for a bit )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    Can a 750ti 4670 max this game at 1080p 60fps? the graphics seem pretty awful but I just wanted to be sure.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Also definitely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You are making up points just to make up points.
    I didn't make up anything. The hitbox issue is well known. Ornstein and the Gargoyles were copy/pasted, all they did with the gargoyles was add more of them. It is a fact that upgrading options in early/mid game are limited in comparison to previous games. It is a fact that durability is significantly reduced from previous games. Now, you may be cool with those changes but I personally didn't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejam View Post
    I didn't make up anything. The hitbox issue is well known. Ornstein and the Gargoyles were copy/pasted, all they did with the gargoyles was add more of them. It is a fact that upgrading options in early/mid game are limited in comparison to previous games. It is a fact that durability is significantly reduced from previous games. Now, you may be cool with those changes but I personally didn't like them.
    Which upgrading options are more limited in DS2 for early/mid?

You can easily hit +7 by killing the Old Dragonrider then immediately heading for the Gutter. If the RNG is in your favor, you can farm large titanite/chunks and at the least reach +7 with any standard titanite weapon, and if your really RNG lucky get +10.
    If your talking about elemental weapon damage, just kill the Old Dragonrider, rush through the Bone Field and Medusa and get the Old Ember within your first 2-3 hours.

Deleted
    Cant wait to buy Dark Souls II, only reason i haven't got the game yet is because i am about to get married next weekend.

The game just rocks.

The ambushes are better, weapons break faster and teleport between bonfires.

There is no problem with hit boxes, only people with shitty input lag on TVs claim so.

Gargoyles is a vastly different fight, in Dark Souls 1 you had 2 gargs, one who would spawn when the other was 50% life, in Dark Souls 2 you have 6 and they spawn on a fixed timer which is a pseudo enrage mechanic that is nothing like the DS1 fight. They also only share the fire breath abilities, their attack patterns are completely different then DS1. Same thing with Ornstein, he is an early optional boss that has a move set more like Artorias-light then original Ornstein. The fight is also nothing like the O+S fight so once again you are flat wrong claiming they are copy and pasted.

The upgrading options aren't limited at all. I had a +10 weapon before I even got to Dranglic which is about the midway point of the game, if anything that is faster then DS1. Once again just for the record, titanite chunks become infinite halfway through the game in both games.

Also you are full of crap on the durability issue, and not only that but I finished the game with 12 repair powder just chilling in the inventory so if your game was just magically broken that your sword broke before you got to every boss fight as you claim use one of the free repair powders the game gives you. Once again in my full playthrough I had my weapon break twice, once to the acid. I had my rings and armor break once, which was to the acid. Yea bro, totally less durable compared to dark souls 1 where I needed to repair every time I was at a bonfire. Maybe you where just bad at letting the mummies explode on you which break your gear?(signs point to yes)
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-04-25 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Downscaled from 3840x2160, added some better AO and AF and it looks amazing. I haven't tried SweetFX yet but that is next on my list. No noticeable performance hit yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... is it actually playable with KB/M combo this time around?

Deleted
    There is no problem with hit boxes, only people with shitty input lag on TVs claim so.
    It's nothing to do with poor input lag. When other games are fine, and DkS2 isn't, it's a problem with DkS2.

Gargoyles is a vastly different fight
    Same boss.

Same thing with Ornstein, he is an early optional boss that has a move set more like Artorias-light then original Ornstein
    Same boss, slightly different moveset.

The upgrading options aren't limited at all. I had a +10 weapon before I even got to Dranglic which is about the midway point of the game
    Drangleic Castle is three-quarters of the way through the game. I specifically said upgrade options are limited in early/mid game.

Also you are full of crap on the durability issue
    Durability on weapons is reduced, no doubt about it.

You're going to have to tone down that defensiveness of yours, it's just a game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    So... is it actually playable with KB/M combo this time around?
    Yes, with some changes to the default keybindings at least. They made some really weird choices...like, Enter is the activation key. ....Yeah, so if you wanted to open a door you would have to go over and press enter. Likewise the cancel key is Escape. :/ The mouse controls are WAY better though, and completely smooth. No more of that jitter.

It's nothing to do with poor input lag. When other games are fine, and DkS2 isn't, it's a problem with DkS2.

Same boss.

Same boss, slightly different moveset.

Drangleic Castle is three-quarters of the way through the game. I specifically said upgrade options are limited in early/mid game.

Durability on weapons is reduced, no doubt about it.

You're going to have to tone down that defensiveness of yours, it's just a game
    So your argument is "lul I'm right". I point our actual facts about the game and you respond with "nope, you're wrong" without even trying to state how I am wrong? Good job we're done here.

FWIW Drangleic Castle is only 75% through the game if you are using a guide and rushing through the final story bosses. If you are actually exploring and do all 3 of the optional super bosses it is barely halfway through IF that. More like 40% probably in all reality.

FWIW Drangleic Castle is only 75% through the game if you are using a guide and rushing through the final story bosses. If you are actually exploring and do all 3 of the optional super bosses it is barely halfway through IF that. More like 40% probably in all reality.
    Wut? No matter how you clear the game, when you get to Drangleic Castle you are definitely past the 50% mark. I would say about 75% in most cases aswell.

Chelly
    Also you are full of crap on the durability issue
    Uh no he's not. You can see a red bar under the weapon icon - that's the durability of the item. Bonfires repair all your items automatically this time. And no, weapons are not as durable as they were in Dark Souls 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    Uh no he's not. You can see a red bar under the weapon icon - that's the durability of the item. Bonfires repair all your items automatically this time. And no, weapons are not as durable as they were in Dark Souls 1.
    To touch on this a little bit weapon going red isn't an impossible scenario to everyone that's acting like it is. There are multiple items and a readily available pyromancy to repair your weapons when they get low all of which can be obtained fairly early. Usually, outside of a few key locations, its a non issue unless you're trying to do 100% of a zone without skipping anything and not using any available bonfires along the way or anything at any point. Its really more of an actual combat mechanic later on when there are acid traps to break your gear/armor if you fail them.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-04-26 at 06:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno why Dark Souls 2 is getting such rave reviews. In most every way so far, it's a step back from the first game. Framerate is ridiculously smooth, but I frankly think the game looks way worse, with a lot of really cheesy special effects that just make the game look bad.

Gameplay is a huge step back. Controls are far worse than in the first game; I'm literally unable to jump attack or kick using the exact same gamepad I played the first one with because of some kind of cockamamie change to the control scheme. I have no idea what clown decided L3 to jump was a good thing, though it's nice they let you change it back.

The Agility stat never should've been put into the game. In addition to combat feeling much looser and sloppier than it does in the original, it's basically impossible to be precise with your timing due to the over-reliance on the Agility stat to make your animations not fucking awful. I do not fucking understand why anyone felt the need to fuck around with the gameplay so much when the gameplay was nearly perfect in the original. Honestly the only thing the original needed was a better camera and lock-on system, and maybe a couple of balance passes to remedy some issues with items and stats being sub-optimal or over-performing.

I dunno. I played two hours yesterday and just walked away in disgust. I guess I'll try a little more today, but I really don't think I'm gonna get very far. It's not even a question of difficulty, it's a problem of the game just feeling very loose and very sloppy compared to the original, and I have no fucking idea why anyone would rate it highly unless they'd never played the first Dark Souls.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow