Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    This isn't the most interesting story but it's exploding on my facebook right now.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...-utah-24041933

The cop later resigned because of 'untenable work conditions'.

Ugh, well, so first let's not pretend that we don't know why a Utah cop refused to attend a gay pride parade. It does open up an 'interesting' question though. He refused an assignment, period, but should officers be allowed to refuse assignments in places that interfere with their religious or personal beliefs? Discuss...or don't. Not the most interesting subject like I said, but I'm bored so humor me!

P.S What the fuck is sensitivity training...? Listen, I don't really like flaunting it but I'm bisexual and think that is retarded. The spokeswoman sounds ridiculous. I've never attended a gay pride parade and probably won't as I think it sends the wrong kind of message entirely on what it means to love the same gender.
    I'm afraid they're right. As a police officer, you aren't allowd to nitpick in your assignments based on political views. You're a police officer, you should be above such things. Serve and protect and all that.

I know SOME Christians think that homosexuality is a big sin and shouldn't be tolerated etc, but what does it matter if non-christians are homosexual? I don't get it. Those rules and edicts (or whatever you call them) are for Christians, not for everyone else. So I don't understand why it matters what other people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Yeah, well it is obvious that if an employer wants to accommodate someone's beliefs it's fine.

Uh, I am asking you do you believe that no employee has the right at any time to place restrictions on what they can and can't do based on religious beliefs?
    No one is placing any restrictions on this officer. He's free to do his job or not have his job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    How do secular courts go about deciding what is a real part of a religion?

I mean I agree there's no theological basis in written scripture for this man's position, but that's not how a court can operate.
    Well I mean you can't fire a person for say, wearing a cross and whatever else he feels like identifying as a Christian. I think the courts recognize mainstream practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Pride parades can draw attention to issues affecting the gay community but it's not required. It's just a celebration, where most people, gay or straight, are welcome.
    It really isn't drawing attention though... All the people who attend are already heavy supporters of the movement. IMO it only causes traffic and accomplishes nothing but preaching to the choir. I can understand having the parade in states that haven't legalized gay marriage, but hosting one in a city that is heavily liberal screams "waste of time". If they changed it so that more people could participate for various things they're proud of, don't you think that would bring more attention? If it's a parade specifically about the LGBT movement, don't you think people who don't care about that movement or hate it would just flat out avoid the parade? If you made it so that people could chant what they're proud of, don't you think a larger audience would attend? Possibly people who wouldn't attend a pride parade would now attend and see the LGBT floats, thus bring attention to those that were opposed to it previously.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    It really isn't drawing attention though... All the people who attend are already heavy supporters of the movement. IMO it only causes traffic and accomplishes nothing but preaching to the choir. I can understand having the parade in states that haven't legalized gay marriage, but hosting one in a city that is heavily liberal screams "waste of time". If they changed it so that more people could participate for various things they're proud of, don't you think that would bring more attention? If it's a parade specifically about the LGBT movement, don't you think people who don't care about that movement or hate it would just flat out avoid the parade? If you made it so that people could chant what they're proud of, don't you think a larger audience would attend? Possibly people who wouldn't attend a pride parade would now attend and see the LGBT floats, thus bring attention to those that were opposed to it previously.
    You're basically just describing parades in general.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    A true Christian would act from the good of his heart, forgiving the one that strays and not judge others for their failings, since only the Lord himself has the right and the powers for such task. We, his servants suppose to follow his example and do good without prejudice..

But then, that's what true Christians do, and not the pick and choose kinda convenience religious hypocrites.
    This and a thousand times this.
    It's not your place to judge, that's up to God.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Because even in states that have legalized gay marriage, homophobia is alive and well in large percentages of the population.
    How would a parade fix hate/dislike against homosexuals? Please don't call it a phobia, people could get the impression they're afraid of them rather than dislike/hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well I mean you can't for a person for say, wearing a cross and whatever else he feels like identifying as a Christian. I think the courts recognize mainstream practices.
    Actually courts stay the hell away from what religious doctrine actually says. For instance take Hobby Lobby's case before the SC. No one is going to spend time talking about how Hobby Lobby has no theological basis for their position because doing so requires secular courts to rule on the merits of theological arguments. This cop could argue that his religion forbids the wearing of any shoe but bunny slippers and the court would have to treat it with as much seriousness as any other religious claim.

To rephrase, courts can either avoid theology entirely, or rule on the merits of theological positions. I think the preferable stance is clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well I mean you can't for a person for say, wearing a cross and whatever else he feels like identifying as a Christian. I think the courts recognize mainstream practices.
    Like I pointed out now.... from religious stance as true Christian he would not refuse the assignment.

I am really not religious.. But at least I remember the teachings...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Azhil View Post
    How would a parade fix hate/dislike against homosexuals? Please don't call it a phobia, people could get the impression they're afraid of them rather than dislike/hate them.
    Exposure fosters understanding. When you actually are aware of gay people and interact with them you're a lot less likely to want to be a piece of shit to them.

No one is placing any restrictions on this officer. He's free to do his job or not have his job.
    Why aren't you answering the question?

Why did this even leave the department? This should have never made the news. Terrible paf-o is terrible.

I don't see why they wouldn't have honored his religious beliefs. Was there anyone else they could have assigned to this "parade"?
    Religion dose not belong in School/Goverment/Work Place.

When you are doing ether of those 3 things in my opinion leave your beliefs at the door. He is a cop and must do his job. He refused to do his job and was put on leave and then he quit.

Sorry but no love for him.

The only time I say its ok to bring religion into ether of those 3 if its something major. This isn't major its a personal choice of his.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

People have the RIGHT to assembly and when groups practice this in a formal way as this group was, as was done during the civil rights movement, when they are getting death threats from right wingers, the police are obligated to protect their right. remember when lyndon johnson sent federal soldiers to protect assemblers in alabama because the police were refusing their obligation in compliance with federal law

Because its stupid and irrelevant. Might as well demand I explain why your cat isn't a tuba.

No one is making this cop do anything.

Deleted
    Exposure fosters understanding. When you actually are aware of gay people and interact with them you're a lot less likely to want to be a piece of shit to them.
    Honestly? I'm tired of the pride parades. I don't care about whether someone is homosexual or not but those parades gets on my nerves badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I know SOME Christians think that homosexuality is a big sin and shouldn't be tolerated etc, but what does it matter if non-christians are homosexual? I don't get it. Those rules and edicts (or whatever you call them) are for Christians, not for everyone else. So I don't understand why it matters what other people do.
    I don't know, I don't get it. I am unfortunate enough to know people happy to converse with a heavy drinker (drinking is a big sin for Mormons) but refuse to converse with a homosexual person. So they're picking which sins are important enough to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    You're basically just describing parades in general.
    I know I am, what exactly is bad about that? Why does a parade have to specifically celebrate one group and not many? A city isn't 100% the same, it's diverse and full of many different people. By allowing all people from various diversities come together, would that not bring more attention? I've been to one pride parade back in 2011 and from what I witnessed, there wasn't a single homophobic person. The closest thing was some preacher trying to hand out miniature bibles.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is free to decide what he doesn't want to do, and the employer is free to fire him for it because it clashes with policy. Otherise not a whole lot would get done because using the religious excuse is a very broad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhil View Post
    Honestly? I'm tired of the pride parades. I don't care about whether someone is homosexual or not but those parades gets on my nerves badly.
    Why those parades?