Thoughts on this laptop for WoW/WoD?

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1219163973191

Seems decent, I guess asus is good/better than most "gaming" laptops.

My concerns: 860m gfx card and the 5400 rpm hard drive.

It does have another slot for another hd. I could pick up a 128gb or 256gb ssd. Would that be easy to install and move the OS over and make the 5400rpm drive hold my music? I don't think it comes with a win 8 disc.

I play almost primarily wow(80-90% of the time), maybe some d3, simcity, hearthstone. I would like high-ultraish settings and a reasonable framerate.

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't have high/ultraish settings on a Laptop really, but that's not the worst thing in the world. I didn't check any other pricing options, I imagine someone else with more time on their hands could.

You could easily install an SSD, and move your OS over. It will come with a bunch of discs with various drivers and system recovery files on it. One of them will be a Windows 8 or 7 disc with a code stuck to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M0cha View Post
    You won't have high/ultraish settings on a Laptop
    I run full ultra on my laptop, and it's a Mac. Apparently I've been told a lot that it is impossible and that it can't handle it.
    Spoiler alert: It does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I run full ultra on my laptop, and it's a Mac. Apparently I've been told a lot that it is impossible and that it can't handle it.
    Go away.
    /10

The 860m is not bad, not fantastic, but should get you decent frames...as is the 4710HQ CPU that thing has. My laptop has an 870m and same processor and I play 25m heroics on full ultra with 8x AA with few hiccups. IMO you'll be able to play medium to high with that setup depending on your activities and screen resolution. D3 will play just fine.

Yes, you should be able to easily add an SSD, but transferring the OS over isn't trivial. I'm sure anyone would recommend a reinstall on the SSD if you want that as your main drive

The graphics card isn't a problem, the 5400 RPM HDD is. Get a 7200/10k RPM or an SSD. The GTX 860m is nearly the equivalent of the GTX 770m, which is what my old Asus laptop has and it'll run everything on max with very little noticeable drops in 25m raids.

Overall, that laptop will be more than enough for WoW as long as you replace the HDD.

If you are going ASUS - try ASUS RoG laptops....

Quote Originally Posted by M0cha View Post
    You won't have high/ultraish settings on a Laptop really, but that's not the worst thing in the world. I didn't check any other pricing options, I imagine someone else with more time on their hands could.

You could easily install an SSD, and move your OS over. It will come with a bunch of discs with various drivers and system recovery files on it. One of them will be a Windows 8 or 7 disc with a code stuck to it.
    My understanding is it doesn't come with a disc but can be put on a 32gb+ USB stick.

Is reformat/install easier than moving all the OS around between drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I did sort of look at the MPB but I'm not really in the mood to spend $2500 on the configuration I want.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    It is RoG

It will be fine , pick up the SSD and transfer the OS.
    Windows Easy Transfer is a thing nowadays.
    Or you could do it oldschool and just move the whole OS to a usb, then to the SSD.

I have Asus N53SV and this laptop is fairly aged, but it still annihilates WoW - though i mainly play on a desktop.
    Your laptop does run at a higher resolution, but it also has more GPU power.

the 5400 drive isn't that big a of a problem if its just a storage drive or low priority drive
    WoW and your OS would be on your SSD i'm guessing - so lots of room for steam games!

RoG laptops actually have decent cooling in them so that's also a bonus.
    Last edited by Replica; 2014-08-21 at 02:36 PM.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    The laptop he linked is an RoG G750 Series

its from bestbuy.....don't buy from bestbuy. they install to much bloatware......

2cents....

Well, I got it, and a samsung evo 250gb ssd. Now to sort out the ssd business and I'll report back with how it performs.

well if you find you get to much bloatware i find Revo uninstaller is a nice program to unistall and clean up all the left behind stuff in files and registry.

Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    well if you find you get to much bloatware i find Revo uninstaller is a nice program to unistall and clean up all the left behind stuff in files and registry.
    Or just wipe everything out and reinstall assuming you have a Windows key. My MSI laptop was littered with crap. There was so much that the best thing I could've done was format

I got rid of most of the bloat, now I'm just waiting for my internet to finish being installed at my new place, and I'll get malware bytes and an antivirus and should be good to go.

Seems pretty decent so far but I can't do much without interwebs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I got rid of most of the bloat, now I'm just waiting for my internet to finish being installed at my new place, and I'll get malware bytes and an antivirus and should be good to go.

Seems pretty decent so far but I can't do much without interwebs.
    Grats. \o/ We don't get a lot of laptops in the Post your gaming setup! thread so post there. :3

Update, it's rather amazing. Full ultra w shadows on ultra. 60fps+ everywhere(vsync on), lfr I saw a couple drops to 45ish but is was for a brief second then rebounded to 60. Turned everything to high and view distance and particle effects to ultra, now it's solid 60 all the time even in lfr. The fans almost never come on. Jury is still out on the ssd though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the build/upgrade subforum
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab