Thread: Ubisoft DRM

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ubisoft DRM

I wanted to buy Anno 2070, and Heroes of Might and Magic 6 Complete Edition, both from Ubisoft on Steam. i thought i read Ubisoft abandoned DRM on their products but it is still listed with 3rd party DRM from Steam. Can anyone confirm either way, before i make the purchase? These are the type of games i would play on a rainy day if i lost the internet, which is why DRM defeats the purpose. If i had the internet, i'd play an mmo.
    Can anyone confirm what you can do offline and what you need the internet for, for both games? Thanks in advance.

That just means you need to register the games through Steam, as Steam is itself a form of DRM.

I don't think there are any issues as long as you can get Steam running in offline mode (not sure if uPlay will have issues or not with those games, or if they even use uPlay).

To my understanding by 3rd party DRM steam means uplay.

And I'm pretty sure you can play Uplay games in offline mode once it is registered to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Is uplay Ubisoft?
    Yes.

When a game on steam is listed having 3rd party DRM it means the game has to be registered some other place even after you buy it on steam. In this clase, Ubisoft's platform which is Uplay.

Uplay is horrible, Ubisoft didn't think Steam DRM was enough and added their own login system DRM similar to how Games for Windows Live was.. It's essentially just something to get their customers to instead pirate for a better overall experience.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Uplay is sort of a double edged sword - While it's a pain in the ass occasionally because Ubisoft games will boot through Steam but still load Uplay. You can buy games/keys straight through UPlay or G2A/Kinguin which are much cheaper than their Steam Counterparts.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Yeah once installed on steam you will need to launch the game through steam which then launches uplay.
    I had quite a few issues at times with Anno 2070 such as uplay refusing to update or just flat out telling me I don't own the game but that hasn't happened for a while now

For Anno 2070 if you are not online you wont be able to use your Ark which stores beneficial boosters and upgrades that you keep and use throughout the entire campaign. Everything else works fine and you can quite easily finish the campaign without them but it's nicer to be able to use them No idea about Heroes 6

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Yeah once installed on steam you will need to launch the game through steam which then launches uplay.
    I had quite a few issues at times with Anno 2070 such as uplay refusing to update or just flat out telling me I don't own the game but that hasn't happened for a while now

For Anno 2070 if you are not online you wont be able to use your Ark which stores beneficial boosters and upgrades that you keep and use throughout the entire campaign. Everything else works fine and you can quite easily finish the campaign without them but it's nicer to be able to use them No idea about Heroes 6
    You can't launch without steam/uplay? I'm new to steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is correct. You are required to launch it through Steam, which then launches uPlay, which then launches the game. It's a major pain in the ass but some games are worth it IMO,

Edit: Actually, I'm sure you could just run uPlay independent of Steam and run the game there but yeah. No way around using one of the clients.

Your edit is correct (unless one resorts to the unspeakable arts which considering one actually owns the game should be allowed...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, for some reason for ubisoft there's a double DRM, even microsoft moved away from it.

It's not that bad, but i remember also when buying anno 2070 at the start their uplay servers were done so much, you were better off pirating the game if you wanted to play it.

Remember, that each time you buy something with DRM, you are thus telling that you don't mind to have DRM in the games. You agree on having your PC being infested by malware and agree on "renting" games rather than having them.

It is easier to get rid of trojans which you might occasionally get in specific places than to get rid of DRM and its damage. Think about it.

And it isn't first time for Ubisoft to lie on the DRM about games. I will only believe them when I will see their games on GOG.

Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post
    That is correct. You are required to launch it through Steam, which then launches uPlay, which then launches the game. It's a major pain in the ass but some games are worth it IMO,

Edit: Actually, I'm sure you could just run uPlay independent of Steam and run the game there but yeah. No way around using one of the clients.
    So you can't launch in offline mode when the net's down?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Remember, that each time you buy something with DRM, you are thus telling that you don't mind to have DRM in the games. You agree on having your PC being infested by malware and agree on "renting" games rather than having them.

It is easier to get rid of trojans which you might occasionally get in specific places than to get rid of DRM and its damage. Think about it.

And it isn't first time for Ubisoft to lie on the DRM about games. I will only believe them when I will see their games on GOG.
    All software you buy is "rented". Pointless to go on a crusade against this. DRM is not bad if done by none intrusive methods, it's also not malware, at most it's spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    All software you buy is "rented". Pointless to go on a crusade against this. DRM is not bad if done by none intrusive methods, it's also not malware, at most it's spyware.
    It isn't really "pointless". It is simply people acting like there can be no "alternative", even if that "alternative" means out-waiting when company bites dust as noone buys DRM-d software.

Malware is malware, everything else is game of words. And spyware is among the worse types of malware.

OP has a choice: give Steam and Ubi a sign that he doesn't mind DRM in his "rented" game (and thus support dark future of gaming) or seek "alternatives". Personally, I'd only agree to install uPlay game on my PC if I was paid at least 2k $ for it to make up for defections on my PC; this kind of malware I don't need even for free.

Only if you bend over and take it in as it is. As long as I buy something, I consider it owned and in general here at least laws tend to dictate ownership in that manner and I've succesfully exercised my lawful rights of ownership. Just because you buy a license instead of physical product doesn't make it more rent and less owned.

And on topic, Ubisoft for the longest of time has tried to kill themselves with multitude of different foot-shooting systems. I never buy myself their games unless it's in steep sale (Less than 5e).
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    It isn't really "pointless". It is simply people acting like there can be no "alternative", even if that "alternative" means out-waiting when company bites dust as noone buys DRM-d software.

Malware is malware, everything else is game of words. And spyware is among the worse types of malware.

OP has a choice: give Steam and Ubi a sign that he doesn't mind DRM in his "rented" game (and thus support dark future of gaming) or seek "alternatives". Personally, I'd only agree to install uPlay game on my PC if I was paid at least 2k $ for it to make up for defections on my PC; this kind of malware I don't need even for free.
    Steam has never hindered me in anyway and no it isn't malware since it doesn't harm your computer in any shape or form and has no negative effects on its working.
    You're free to try to proof this i'll grab the popcorn.

All software is rented this has always been the case, you don't own it. You aren't free to change it how you see fit this is the price you accept if you want to have an online gaming scene. And with all software i mean all software, including OS'es windows especially with the CAL's you need to buy to set it up in a business environment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Only if you bend over and take it in as it is. As long as I buy something, I consider it owned and in general here at least laws tend to dictate ownership in that manner and I've succesfully exercised my lawful rights of ownership. Just because you buy a license instead of physical product doesn't make it more rent and less owned.

And on topic, Ubisoft for the longest of time has tried to kill themselves with multitude of different foot-shooting systems. I never buy myself their games unless it's in steep sale (Less than 5e).
    Clearly it's about getting fucked in the ass, what a childish notion is that.
    I would like to see that law that states that SOFTWARE PURCHASED GIVES THE BUYER FULL RIGHTS TO SAID SOFTWARE. Go on, i'll wait you won't find it.
    Since that would imply that the code you find on it can be used for your own projects. This even extends to hardware, especially consoles. And none of the reasons behind it are about fucking consumers in the ass how childishly you put it.

DRM will always be around as long piracy continues to be a problem, Also due to how consumers reacted to it DRM's have become less intrusive and much more user friendly since that's what consumers what. Platforms like Uplay never kicked off for that reason and platforms like steam did.

Clearly it's about getting fucked in the ass, what a childish notion is that.
    And clearly in for good purpose if it caused your socks to twirl up like that.

I would like to see that law that states that SOFTWARE PURCHASED GIVES THE BUYER FULL RIGHTS TO SAID SOFTWARE. Go on, i'll wait you won't find it. Since that would imply that the code you find on it can be used for your own projects. This even extends to hardware, especially consoles. And none of the reasons behind it are about fucking consumers in the ass how childishly you put it.
    There's no legal saying that for softwares, but there isn't law that says that for any other property either really. Yet if it's stolen from you it's considered your property in eyes of the law. And considering that in Finland it's legal to handle things you bought in any manner you seem fit as long as you don't break copyright laws (aka copy and sell, you can copy indefinitively for your own use even when TOS disagrees, because in civilized countries TOS is toilet material)

Also I am glad to see your continued butthurt.

DRM will always be around as long piracy continues to be a problem
    Obviously it is, stating that serves no purpose. Well other than the misguided "piracy is problem" because it really is only perceived problem.

Also due to how consumers reacted to it DRM's have become less intrusive and much more user friendly since that's what consumers what. Platforms like Uplay never kicked off for that reason and platforms like steam did.
    I don't see the point of this post either, just stating the obvious again.

Steam has never hindered me in anyway
    Good for you. You are not representative of everyone.

and no it isn't malware since it doesn't harm your computer in any shape or form and has no negative effects on its working.
    You're free to try to proof this i'll grab the popcorn.
    Is taking pace in HDD and RAM y/n?

All software is rented this has always been the case, you don't own it. You aren't free to change it how you see fit this is the price you accept if you want to have an online gaming scene. And with all software i mean all software, including OS'es windows especially with the CAL's you need to buy to set it up in a business environment.
    Yet software is at least in Finland under applications of ownership laws that trump Steam ones. Steam says you can't get refunds? Well too bad, you can if you live in Finland.

And it's not too long ago when EU court dictated that software licences should be re-sellable. Only reason you've not seen this applied to Steam or Origin is because no one has made the lawsuit where that case could be used as reference
    Last edited by Wilian; 2015-05-19 at 02:48 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    See continued childish remarks, i'm merely pointing out why it's not a big deal and why crusades are pointless if anything it's the "anti-drm" folks like you that's getting worked up over this, your efforts are futile and have no effect on me, i'll continue to support good game developers and enrich my collection of steam games nearing the 300. Saying that clients such as uplay and steam are however malware is simply being false or uninformed about what malware really is since neither has any negative effect on your computer, at most they collect information anonymously, which is why it can be seen at most as spyware.

If you loan something and you sign for it and someone steals it from you yes it's theft, it does not however make you the owner of said property. You own the box, the disc and so on, you don't own the software.

Piracy is an issue regardless if you like it or not. The whole notion of "making good products and they'll buy it and not pirate it" is a simply a fairy tale that people that frequent pirate tell themselves to justify their actions to one self. I don't find it normal and found it has hurt the music industry the most, especially good artists of smaller labels that don't seek to whore themselves out seeing that doing performances is the only way to make money.

The final comment simply points out how more futile this whole "let's resist!" campaign is since people unhappy won't be buying it, market research will be done about it and adjustments will be made.

Anyhow i'm now off to play some witcher 3, you're as always free to continue your crusade against DRM's. I have more enjoyable ways to spend my time then being a cowardly internet activist