Thread: Choosing SSD

Choosing SSD

Greetings.

I am in the market for a budget SSD and so far my search has come to a halt.

Limited by money I got to 2 possible choices:

Kingston SSDNow V300 SV300S37A 2.5" 240GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820721108

OR

ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 2.5" 256GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211597

I know both brands.. well, suck. But they are kind of my only options as of now.
    And the issue at hand:
    Both seem to die fairly easy (judging by comments).
    Adata seems to last longer but has worse support. The opposite goes for Kingston.

Any advice on which I should pick? Or am I better off waiting 'till December and getting a much more expensive/better SSD?
    Will any of those actually make the difference that an SSD usually has? I plan on putting my OS and my most played games on it, yet the dying issue scares the bejeezus out of me.. Halp
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Comments are shit and you can never rely on them. I have a 120GB Kingston at work and I was so impressed that I bought one for home too. But you can probably buy any of them and forget about the comments. The probability to die on you is probably the same as to be hit by a car. You don't want to keep sensitive data on a single drive anyway and it has a three-year warranty so really there's no "risk", you'll just get another, and the probability to have two consecutive SSD drives failing for you is just ridiculous...

Buying more expensive drives for home use is pretty stupid, unless you're a millionaire and don't give a fuck about money.

Buy American and get a Crucial BX100 250 GB SSD for 79$ after 10$ rebate on newegg.

These are made in America by Micron Technology out of Boise Idaho USA. They have excellent customer service and support that is here in the USA. I have not had to deal with their support for any SSD's but I have for Crucial BalisticX ram in the past and they always replaced the ram and covered shipping w/ no issues. I'm pretty sure the ram was good leaving crucial and something happened to it during the time it was with newegg.

I don't work for Crucial or Micron Technology. I do live near Boise Idaho so I like to do what I can to buy American and help the local economy when I can. I have upgrade both my Wife and Daughter's computers with Crucial SSDs this year and they work great. They may not be the fastest on the market but they are plenty fast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwar View Post
    snip
    rofl i don't even want to comment on your post, seriously... From the other hand i doupt he is in America if those are his only options...common sense...

Yeah... not American.

EU
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

He said he was limited by money not location. Newegg sells more than 2 brands. I was trying to help and list a cheaper and better alternative. I know I know don't feed the trolls.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Yeah... not American.

EU
    What site do you usually buy things from? Maybe we can point you to some better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious View Post
    What site do you usually buy things from? Maybe we can point you to some better options.
    It's from a local firm. My country is small enough to only have 2-3 sites, but I get discounts from this particular one so yeah.

Other than that it's not even in English so linking it won't help much.
    I chose these two because they fit in my price range at the moment.

Deleted
    It's from a local firm. My country is small enough to only have 2-3 sites, but I get discounts from this particular one so yeah.

Other than that it's not even in English so linking it won't help much.
    I chose these two because they fit in my price range at the moment.
    Have you heard of Google Translate?

As for the ones you linked I'd steer clear of Kingston's SSDNow V300 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Have you heard of Google Translate?

As for the ones you linked I'd steer clear of Kingston's SSDNow V300 series.
    Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the ADATA one as a friend turned out to have had experience with the Kingston (hint: not a good one).

Thanks guys!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    rofl i don't even want to comment on your post, seriously... From the other hand i doupt he is in America if those are his only options...common sense...
    Your post could have been a little more constructive.

Want to bring up common sense though? You lack the common sense to even bother typing with any care for looking like someone we should take seriously.

I'm not trying to defend Zwar, nor am I one who cares too much about buying American or not, however if the OP really has no other options than these two, then well, that sucks, but at least Zwar, unlike you, TRIED to suggest another alternative.

But yeah, @OP... if I HAD to choose one of the two, I'd go ADATA, so good choice!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Your post could have been a little more constructive.

Want to bring up common sense though? You lack the common sense to even bother typing with any care for looking like someone we should take seriously.

I'm not trying to defend Zwar, nor am I one who cares too much about buying American or not, however if the OP really has no other options than these two, then well, that sucks, but at least Zwar, unlike you, TRIED to suggest another alternative.

But yeah, @OP... if I HAD to choose one of the two, I'd go ADATA, so good choice!

You are right that i didn't propose something to be more constructive. I was expecting OP to mention where he is located and maybe a few shops in his country, his budget and see if indeed he has no other options and then help him get the best he can get.

From the other hand are we really there now? Promoting our countries or shops we work at? Because thats what annoyed me, promoting a company just because where Zwar is located and not because its the best deal. And thats against the forums rules anyway.

id say dont wait. SSDs are going to be bigger and better in 3 years and by that time even if ur SSD is broken who cares. as a similar consumer i bought a SSD recently and mines the samsung evo 250GB. i also bought the 6 gig transfer cord Monoprice 18-inch SATA III 6.0 Gbps Cable w/Locking Latch - Blue and Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives (Black) and Vktech 2.5 inch SSD HDD To 3.5 inch Metal Mounting Adapter Bracket Dock for PC SSD

basically theres the case for the SSD, the SSD, the blue transfer cable, and the USB adapter thingy which u dont really need only the power cord that comes with it unless you intend to copy your old drive onto it. but anyway since u have 250GB u should be fine. if you dont know how to hookup the SSD theres easy instructions on the net too. basically open up your comp by unscrewing both covers, locate your power cables, figure out which one works with the SSD, locate the sata3 slots, make sure your SSD is screwed into the hard drive bracket and slide it in, connect the sata cable and the power cable and your basically done. also make sure you goto manage on your computer and reformat the drive if it doesnt show up automatically.
    instructions are on youtube, search for "How to Install a SSD and Load Windows" the first video i found works fine for me.

Even the poorest SSD will blow the shit out of any HDD. It's all about those access times.

You pay more for a slight increase in speed (noticeable difference between a 300MB/s drive and a 550MB/s drive is minimal, in all honestly) and reliability (all are limited to a number of writes per cell, better tech and wear leveling can extend a drive's lifespan way beyond that of it's technological usefulness).

If you're running critical databases and so on, you want enterprise stuff. If you're just arsing about on the internet and playing WoW, anything will do. You'll boot quicker and WoW will load quicker.

Thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it <3

Deleted
    Have you considered some Samsung SSD's?

Well, a Samsung one that is kinda close to my price range is

Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB.

Though, I'm not sure paying more just for the brand is something I should find how to afford at the moment

Well, a Samsung one that is kinda close to my price range is

Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB.

Though, I'm not sure paying more just for the brand is something I should find how to afford at the moment
    From what I've read 850 EVO is one of the best value buys there is at 250 GB price range.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    850 Evo or BX 100.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water