Need help to figure out which case.

Hi. Long time reader first time poster here.

So I'm building a new computer and I pretty much got it all down but I can't decide on which case. It will be housing: standard ATX motherboard, 4790k, 980TI, a 280mm radiator and a standard atx power supply. I will be looking to making a custom loop in the future so something with room for an additional radiator, pump etc. Id prefer if the case isn't too big and obviously also would like something with a nice side window .
    I dont really have a budget but the cheaper the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI -- "Able to house a 280mm radiator with room for an additional radiator, pump, etc" and "not too big" don't go well together. To do what you're wanting to do comfortably, at the very least you're going to be looking at a larger mid-tower if not a full tower, and cases with room for multiple large radiators are usually part of enthusiast lines, which don't come cheap.

I'd look at something in the Corsair Obsidian line, or one of the Phanteks Enthoo cases... but again, $$$$$. Those will all set you back $150-200.

Yeah, I know. But there can still be some variation. I do know I will be getting a somewhat big case. But I dont want it to ber too much bigger than necesarry . Cheers though, somehow I didn't see any of the Phanteks Enthoo cases while looking.. I might be looking at getting one of those. Any experience with them? Good room for cable management etc?

Deleted
    thermaltake has a lot you should check those , and the fractal define s IS the case atm for watercooling

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any first-hand experience with the Phanteks cases, but I've had friends who sing their praises and I've seen a lot of people posting screenies of watercooled builds with them over at overclock.net.

Honestly, the best advice re: cases is to just find something you like and then check for radiator compatibility. Aesthetic tastes vary from one person to the next, so all things being equal, a case that I call amazing you may not be able to stand.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of the Fractal Define series for their combination of sleek minimalist design, noise-dampening, and expansion room. Personally, for water cooling with a window, I'd look at the Fractal Define S or the ARC Midi XL.

How thick is the rad? If it ain't too thick, Fractal Design Define S might work for you. It didn't for me sadly due to too thick rads. Think 55 mm is the limit so 30 mm rad + 25 mm fan is the limit. It will be quite compact though, but due to the way it's designed it should work pretty well. Only drawback being the rad thickness limitation. If I remember right it even has reservoir and pump mounting locations ready.

And now, if your rad is thicker than 30mm, you are forced to pick between Corsair air 540(would have to mount my pump+reservoir at the back though), Obsidian 750D/900D, Graphite 760T/780T, Phantek Enthoo Luxe and if going balls out crazy some Case Labs cases.

What comes to Phantek, it's somewhat at the level of Corsair in Cases, maybe even a tad bit classier, though build quality is about the same. Personally if I had to go it would probably be 750D Air Edition when it's out or either of the Graphite series, though those are expensive where I live.

---
    After some research, seems like I was dead wrong, the limitation on the tickness of the rad is only for 140mm wide rads, so Define S works for me. Silly me
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2015-07-24 at 04:03 PM.