Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

(spoiler) Telltale Games, why my actions really do not matter ?

So i am wondering, why Telltale games like walking dead or game of thrones have to be so grim ?
    Why i cannot save everyone, why i cannot do the good thing ? Why there is no good option ?
    For example is walking dead carley gets killed no matter what i do.
    They say i got control but most of time i really do not have control if someone dies or lives.
    Why do they give us options and then take control and prevent me from doing something.
    I had simillar thing in dragon age inquisition, i had choose between loghain and hawke. I didn't finish the game because i have to choose between those two characters. I love both of them.
    I see this as a cheap, they say we have tough choices, fine, but most of the time we do not have tough choices, they are artificial. What is the difference if i save someone in one session, if that person is killed in another but this time i have no option to prevent it. I do not see what is tough about it. If i could sacrifice 3 people to save only one, that is tough, but choices presented to us by Telltale aren't choices at all.
    It is like going to bookstore and you are forced to buy a book, the thing you can decide is the color of the book, and yet the tell me i have a choice. The choice would be going out of the bookstore and not buying a book, or buying a different one.
    So i really do not get why they so popular. This type of game is what gaming should be against, gaming is about making choices, even dead island have more choice, i could choose if i wanted to kill this zombie or that one, walking dead doesn't give me that option.
    Cheers,

10+ Year Old Account
    It's called staying true to the source material, everyone dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

choices only matter if youre omnipotent and can do whatever you want?

i dont think you know what makes choices meaningful

Deleted
    Because while your choices do matter, it's only a few of them that actually change the game, and even then, only slightly.

Telltale games have a story to tell, and they allow you to influence that story, but ultimately the story will play out the way it's supposed to.

As to why everyone has to die? Personally, it's a cross between 2 things. Firstly the fact that the game that catapulted Telltale back into the spotlight, Walking Dead Season 1, is grim as hell. And at the time, it was pretty new and refreshing, it was written well, and according to a lot of people, myself included, made you care for the characters. Telltale haven't realised that it was the good writing in Walking Dead Season 1 that actually made the game great, not the grimness of the setting. Secondly, Twitch/Youtuber bait.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2015-11-23 at 05:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    choices only matter if youre omnipotent and can do whatever you want?

i dont think you know what makes choices meaningful
    If i play video i want to be the guy who saves the day, if i want to save everyone, i want to save them.
    If i want let everyone die, that is my choice.
    If i want to let some people died that is my choice.

Fallout 2 gave me this ability.
    From First citizen in the vault city, you are given a task to deal with gecko, ghoul community.
    You can kill them or repair the powerplant. When it comes to repairing the power plant, you can do it in few way, do it yourself, use the computer to turn reactor off, use robot to prevent meltdown, or convince repair man to fix the reactor. The choices are the same, but the game is giving you the choices how you want to go about it.

When it comes to character creation you can create of charasmatic guy who have followers or create this badass who travels alone.

Those are choice, that game can present to you, and "choices" presented to you by Telltale are not choices at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    If i play video i want to be the guy who saves the day, if i want to save everyone, i want to save them.
    If i want let everyone die, that is my choice.
    If i want to let some people died that is my choice.

Fallout 2 gave me this ability.
    From First citizen in the vault city, you are given a task to deal with gecko, ghoul community.
    You can kill them or repair the powerplant. When it comes to repairing the power plant, you can do it in few way, do it yourself, use the computer to turn reactor off, use robot to prevent meltdown, or convince repair man to fix the reactor. The choices are the same, but the game is giving you the choices how you want to go about it.

When it comes to character creation you can create of charasmatic guy who have followers or create this badass who travels alone.

Those are choice, that game can present to you, and "choices" presented to you by Telltale are not choices at all.
    youre trying to argue that a two sided coin is bad because you only like one of the sides

just dont play games you dont like

15+ Year Old Account
    Dont play tell tales games then you will never be able to save everyone end of story.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    youre trying to argue that a two sided coin is bad because you only like one of the sides

just dont play games you dont like
    I stoped playing them. I started playing them because they had very good reviews and people said they are good so i decided to give them a go.

It is more that game is not offering tough choices, they are grim but the choices really do not matter. Game world won't change much.

Life is strange allows me to change more things, despite it having simillar formula to Telltale, on top of that i can really feel the character because they do not die five minutes after making they appearance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Dont play tell tales games then you will never be able to save everyone end of story.
    I stoped playing them. I simply do not understand, why they say they giving tough choices, if there aren't really tough choices.

because fate will ultimately be the same.
    if something is supposed to happen, it will happen.

If we could go back in time and kill hitler, great! just, someone ells just as bad, or maybe even worse, would just have taken his place. might have been a few more years, but ultimatly, the outcome would be the same. Alas, this is just theories ofcourse. But more believeable than the butterfly effect.

It's the difference between a cinematic game and a role-playing game. Role-playing games have a story framework within which you have choices, actions and consequences, and the good ones have a variety of endings based on them. A cinematic game might have a couple of minor choices that influence gameplay, but will not significantly affect the story outcome. You get to THE end. Not A end, as with a good role-playing game.

Their first Walking Dead game had it a lot better than the second, in this department. And you could beat Wolf Aming Us without killing anyone, even though they make you hate the characters and then give you a very tempting "kill" button.

Telltale's games are more of a tv show/movie than a videogame. In a recent interview they pretty much said how they wanted to try to make their games as similiar to the shows, and its not plausible to make too many different routes as it requires a shitload of extra time and resources. Though I think they're doing the choices better in Game of Thrones where you can choose different endings with how season 2 will progress, while the ending of TWD season 1 and Wolf Among Us are all the exact same.

They can only make so much diversity to it, since each split path is that much more development time. The point is that they create the illusion of choice, and allow you to roleplay yourself as you like, so you can insert yourself into the story to an extent. For example I can work as hard as I can to hold the group together in vain, or I can actively hate the entire group and they only keep me around because I haven't killed any of them yet.

(Though I still would've totally ditched Kenny if they let me back when Arvo was leaving with the car)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Did you forget what Bioshock Infinite taught you about constants and variables?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Did you forget what Bioshock Infinite taught you about constants and variables?
    I was done with this game after 15 minutes, the shooting sucked and the there was too much mobs between quest progress to get me interested in a story. On top of that never was a big fan of bioshock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    They can only make so much diversity to it, since each split path is that much more development time. The point is that they create the illusion of choice, and allow you to roleplay yourself as you like, so you can insert yourself into the story to an extent. For example I can work as hard as I can to hold the group together in vain, or I can actively hate the entire group and they only keep me around because I haven't killed any of them yet.

(Though I still would've totally ditched Kenny if they let me back when Arvo was leaving with the car)
    I am not talking about big changes in story, but something simillar to until dawn for example. You could save all or let them all die depending whatever you liked them or not.
    And since they are earning tons of cash from these games, they could add few lines here and there. They are still doing this shit because it is viable from financial standpoint.
    DX HR, have better conversation, i could feel an impact of my choices. in thieir games i cannot.

So i am wondering, why Telltale games like walking dead or game of thrones have to be so grim ?
    Why i cannot save everyone, why i cannot do the good thing ? Why there is no good option ?
    For example is walking dead carley gets killed no matter what i do.
    They say i got control but most of time i really do not have control if someone dies or lives.
    Why do they give us options and then take control and prevent me from doing something.
    I had simillar thing in dragon age inquisition, i had choose between loghain and hawke. I didn't finish the game because i have to choose between those two characters. I love both of them.
    I see this as a cheap, they say we have tough choices, fine, but most of the time we do not have tough choices, they are artificial. What is the difference if i save someone in one session, if that person is killed in another but this time i have no option to prevent it. I do not see what is tough about it. If i could sacrifice 3 people to save only one, that is tough, but choices presented to us by Telltale aren't choices at all.
    It is like going to bookstore and you are forced to buy a book, the thing you can decide is the color of the book, and yet the tell me i have a choice. The choice would be going out of the bookstore and not buying a book, or buying a different one.
    So i really do not get why they so popular. This type of game is what gaming should be against, gaming is about making choices, even dead island have more choice, i could choose if i wanted to kill this zombie or that one, walking dead doesn't give me that option.
    Cheers,
    Becuase the world is not fair, its not made to be unoffensive. People die, shit gets blown up, limbs get chopped off, shit sucks. A fairy tale land where everyone gets saved and no one loses is far more unrealistic and unsatisfying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    It's the difference between a cinematic game and a role-playing game. Role-playing games have a story framework within which you have choices, actions and consequences, and the good ones have a variety of endings based on them. A cinematic game might have a couple of minor choices that influence gameplay, but will not significantly affect the story outcome. You get to THE end. Not A end, as with a good role-playing game.
    So basically you are saying this is an interactive movie or comic ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Becuase the world is not fair, its not made to be unoffensive. People die, shit gets blown up, limbs get chopped off, shit sucks. A fairy tale land where everyone gets saved and no one loses is far more unrealistic and unsatisfying.
    Of course it isn't. But that is why i play video games, to get away from real world misery and bs, i have to deal with on daily basis.
    This is why people, read rommanced novels, watched detective series, because they want some positive thing in their life.
    They want to know that some guy will solve a murder mystery and put bad guy in jail.
    They want to belive that real love exist, because maybe one day they will meet a man/women they will fall in love with.

Let me quote oblivion: "You probably seen worst what mage guild have to offer, but it can also be a source of great things, i hope you will see it here". Maybe the quote isn't 100% accurate but the meaning stays the same.
    This game shows only the worst things humanity can offer, and not the great things. That is my gripe with it.

This game shows only the worst things humanity can offer, and not the great things. That is my gripe with it.
    Bullshit. It shows both sides of the coin. It's like you're surprised bad shit happens in a zombie apocalypse. Good shit also happens if you actually pay attention. Lee taking in a young girl and treating her like his own daughter being an obvious glaring example. I guess that is the worst thing humanity can offer Numerous GOOD things happen over both seasons, no shit that BAD things are also going to happen in a world like that.

It sounds more that you're mad there is an actual narrative in place instead of a joke of a plot in insert bethesda game. There is a reason nobody plays Bethesda games for the narrative(and I enjoy bethesda games) the fact you keep referencing them to down play a narrative driven game is laughable.

The TTG Game of Thrones game was dogshit.

Get Tales of the Borderlands, it's probably the best TTG to date, and while your choices rarely effects an outcome, it feels a lot more genuine the first playthrough.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

And that's alright. But that's YOUR taste. Just becasue a game doesn't conform to your taste it doesn't mean it's bad or it should have been different. A lot of the appeal games like that is exactly that they're brutal: Sometimes no matter what you do you can't save everyone. It still provides an interesting story and strong experience even without going for the "hero fantasy".

There's plenty room in the game industry for all types of games, from silly Mario Kart racers to dark & grim TellTale adventures. You play what you like to play.