Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Optional car features you can't live without

Hey guys,

I had to get a rental car since mine was hit and I really miss some of my other cars features. I can't live without a backup cam with those little guidelines. They help me so much getting into tight spaces. Also front parking senors. Everything else I can live without but not those. They have to be in every car I drive.

Well here's some good news backup cameras will be legally required in all new vehicles in 2018 in the USA/Canada

I just need Air Conditioning.

My last car only had a radio. No travelmeter. And the !@#$ing odometer didn't work.

There's pretty much no optional feature I "can't live without".

Oh, and it didn't have AC either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Backup camera, bluetooth compatible stereo, heated car seats, good air conditioning. Luckily all of these are things I can just install myself if they are missing. In fact, that's my current project with my 2014 Hyundai Accent HB. I just installed the speakers last month and ordered the backup camera yesterday. The seat can wait since it's so damn hot right now. AC is fine.

I'd never really done any work on a car before but it was a lot of fun. Not looking forward to the backup cam though...it's going to be a pain in the ass to feed the wires. I had my dad help me with the stereos and for the first time in my life I was glad to be so small. It was really easy to get behind the dashboard and feed the wire for the bluetooth camera just where I wanted it, whereas my dad was struggling and cussing a lot. I let him do all that soldering shit though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I live? AC is mandatory. I don't commute anymore, but the ability to play mp3 on a thumbdrive is still extremely nice to have for long drives.

I like power seats/windows/etc but I could live without them.

My current car has a HUD for speed/tach. It's not a necessity but I love having it.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Sirius XM. Radio here fucking sucks

I'm spoiled I want AC.
    *picked up a K5 Blazer to mess around with as a hobby and I have to admit out of the 10 car's I've owned in the past this is the first one without a Tachometer and it feels kinda weird not being there.

ABS. I'd argue A/C because summer is hot as hell here. That's prob it. My first car didn't even have power steering, I learned to drive without needing anything fancy, I can do it again.

edit: Just realised ABS is standard for cars these days.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2016-03-05 at 02:44 AM.

power windows and doors

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much anything besides AC/Heater.

My father had to rent a Jeep for a few days a long time ago while his truck was getting fixed or something. The inside had like the bare minimum of stuff... No ergonomic plastic, no side panels and all that jazz... It was just like a metal box with comfy seats.

I actually liked that.

carbon fibre tires and tiptronic transmission

I could live without every piece of electronics on a new car. i do want a engine management system but lose the power locks, power windows, electric brakes, cpu controlled suspension, electric steering, navigation, cameras, just remove all the tech toys and give me a bare car. If ford would make a 2016 mustang gt without all the electronics and price it accordingly, I might actually be willing to part with my money

10+ Year Old Account
    My Sonata is advanced enough to have a CD-player but not enough to plug a phone or MP3 player into. I'm forced to use an FM transmitter to play music from my phone to my car's speakers. And it's annoying if I drive into an area that uses the station I'm using, I have to change stations.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Power Steering. Although I would seriously consider trading it for non-power windows. Actually rolling them down is so much better, and they break a lot less easy.

Bluetooth stereo, Air Conditioning and seat warming. That's all I give a shit about really.

I don't drive but am a frequent passenger. I need to rock and be comfy.

A toggle switch for the traction control.

Spinning tires provide more acceleration than tires that aren't moving. (Who could have guessed?)

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread got me brainstorming...not sure if this is considered a "feature" or not but I'm not sure if I can go back to driving a gas guzzler. My last car was a 2004 Jaguar XJR and it went through gas like I go through green tea (hint: a lot). My Accent, especially in Active Eco mode, has saved me a LOT of money with its gas mileage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    As for loss of traction vs. not, you're 100% incorrect. Traction control systems do limit the throttle though which is how they control the traction...
    That doesn't apply when you're desperately trying to maintain forward momentum when plowing through a snowdrift. You want to grab any scrap of motion you can, not have the computer slow down your wheels because it thinks it has a better idea.

As for me, cruise control. They apparently still make cars without it as standard. I got one of them when my car was in the body shop.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    None.

AC is standard, not an option.
    not everywhere