Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need to find the smallest case possible to accomodate my hardware

Hello I'm looking for the smallest case possible that will accomodate my existing hardware. I will have to take the case as carry-on luggage when I travel.

Hardware:

EVGA gtx 970 video card
    Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard (atx)
    standard atx power supply

Though I doubt any micro tower case would fit the 970 plus an atx board I would be open to that possibility as well.

The power supply should be replaceable as I need a decent one to power my 970 gtx.

The airlines size restrictions are: 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in

I would really appreciate any help you could offer. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Teca View Post
    Hello I'm looking for the smallest case possible that will accomodate my existing hardware. I will have to take the case as carry-on luggage when I travel.

Hardware:

EVGA gtx 970 video card
    Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard (atx)
    standard atx power supply

Though I doubt any micro tower case would fit the 970 plus an atx board I would be open to that possibility as well.

The power supply should be replaceable as I need a decent one to power my 970 gtx.

The airlines size restrictions are: 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in

I would really appreciate any help you could offer. Thank you.
    Zalman ZM-T1 and Cooler Master used to make one. I don't think either is being produced anymore. You probably won't find many others because typically the only reason people buy full-sized ATX today is for multiple GPU's which doesn't play nice with cramped cases. Most ATX cases will exceed at least one of those dimensions, even my mid tower does so.

Realistically if you're going to be hauling it around a lot, you'll be better off dumping that ATX board and the associated 20 lbs of gear and building a mini ITX system.
    Last edited by Cows For Life; 2016-03-31 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Nevermind, was mistaken

Not gonna happen, height requirements are too low. (atx mobos are like 12in alone)

Best you are gonna do for a reasonable amount of money is sell your mobo on craigslist and buy an h-61 itx board and a case with sfx psu and a low profile cpu cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131878R

Case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163287

PSU:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silvers...supply-st45sfg

CPU cooler: (this should fit, im about 99% sure)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...5213-_-Product

So about 180 bucks to get this done, but i bet you could sell your leftover parts for a decent amount. Obviously no more overclocking (i assume you are overclocking now since you have a z68 motherboard) but you really wouldnt in a small case this this anyways. Silverstone does offer a non modular PSU of the same specs for 30 dollars cheaper, but i wouldnt want to do that in a case this small lol.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-31 at 03:41 AM.

It looks like the Silverstone's GD09 will fit your dimensions but it's HTPC style and it's still being made.

Hmm most people use it as HxWxD so we need to be clear that is what they mean, if so the one you mentioned would be too wide.

There are a few around like the Fractal Design Node 605, but considering it's price.. it would probably be better to get a mini ITX board and case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just so there's no confusion, when you say carry on, you do mean literally with you on the plane, right? Not in the cargo. Cause I'd be more scared of what happens to overall integrity of the entire build quite honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Just so there's no confusion, when you say carry on, you do mean literally with you on the plane, right? Not in the cargo. Cause I'd be more scared of what happens to overall integrity of the entire build quite honestly.
    It will travel in the overhead bin above my seat or under the seat infront of me.

I second the idea of just buying an ITX Motherboard and case if that's what you want to do. I just can not imagine that being good pr a PC to be in an overhead compartment of an airplane with turbulence. Hit a rough patch and your graphics card could just snap if it is bumped the wrong way. This happened to a friend of mine moving his PC in a car.

I would be open to the idea of a micro-atx board and using a mini-tower as long as it can fit my atx power supply and 970 gtx video card. So far I have been unable to find a case that can do this.

Are there cheap micro atx or ITX boards for LGA 1155 that would support a dual slot video card (970 gtx)? I don't need anything fancy as I don't overclock.

Also, wouldn't this case work for my current hardware? http://www.casecom.com.tw/midigaming/RS27-spec.html

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not the definition of small.
    The big issue is airplane. You have to take out the video card. Outside of extremely expensive boards with metal reinforcements, that flimsy plastic PCI-E port is going to snap. If you're using a non stock cooler, it can't be big / heavy otherwise that may cause issues with the motherboard.
    The other issue on plane, is static. Airplanes are dry, you can easily build up a static discharge on accident on the plane, I've done it many many times.

You really want to go with an mitx board, case (they usually support two slot) and an SFX PSU. Even then it's not safe for your equipment.
    You're looking at something like this with the suggested. Going by dimension you can fit it underneath the seat infront, however do not put it in the overhead.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus P8H61-I R2.0 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $242.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 17:15 EDT-0400

If I may ask, why exactly are you going through this route as opposed to... anything else quite honestly, like a laptop.

On an ITX motherboard like: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi...oard-h61mp31w8

Will a dual slot video card like the 970 gtx fit? I don't mean I will be looking to run two cards I mean that the card alone takes up the space of two pci slots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That's not the definition of small.
    The big issue is airplane. You have to take out the video card. Outside of extremely expensive boards with metal reinforcements, that flimsy plastic PCI-E port is going to snap. If you're using a non stock cooler, it can't be big / heavy otherwise that may cause issues with the motherboard.
    The other issue on plane, is static. Airplanes are dry, you can easily build up a static discharge on accident on the plane, I've done it many many times.

You really want to go with an mitx board, case (they usually support two slot) and an SFX PSU. Even then it's not safe for your equipment.
    You're looking at something like this with the suggested. Going by dimension you can fit it underneath the seat infront, however do not put it in the overhead.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus P8H61-I R2.0 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $242.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 17:15 EDT-0400

If I may ask, why exactly are you going through this route as opposed to... anything else quite honestly, like a laptop.
    Because I am going back home to my country and I would like to take my gaming rig with me. My laptop just doesnt cut it. I'll be home for 4 months so it's quite a while.

I understand what you said about taking the video card and the HSF out and was already planning to do this.

I am willing to get a micro atx or ITX board if its cheaper than 75 dollars and can accomodate the dual slot video card. I do not however want to spend money on a power supply.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I'm still curious as to why: http://www.casecom.com.tw/midigaming/RS27-spec.html wouldn't accomodate my needs with the hardware I have currently.
    Last edited by Teca; 2016-03-31 at 09:55 PM.

Most of the larger ITX cases will accommodate dual slot cards of varying lengths. Some will even accept ATX power supplies. Shoe box style cases like the Thermaltake Core V1, Silverstone SG13, Cooler Master Elite 110 all take ATX but possibly with restrictions on CPU coolers. The Elite 110 is the smallest of the 3 I listed but the short dimension is just over 8" so it might be too large and I believe it isn't long enough for your GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Most of the larger ITX cases will accommodate dual slot cards of varying lengths. Some will even accept ATX power supplies. Shoe box style cases like the Thermaltake Core V1, Silverstone SG13, Cooler Master Elite 110 all take ATX but possibly with restrictions on CPU coolers. The Elite 110 is the smallest of the 3 I listed but the short dimension is just over 8" so it might be too large and I believe it isn't long enough for your GPU.
    Thanks I'll take a look

Deleted
    can't you simply pay for more carry on luggage space?

taking pc as hand luggage is a lot of effort. anti-static bagging everything to keep it safe on the plane alone is annoying, but then having to unpack and repack everything when you go through security..

if you ask me, take your components, put them in their original boxes, pack them securely among your clothes in your checked baggage and buy a very cheap pc case (or just assemble everything inside a pizza box or whatever if you wanna be super cheap) at your destination.

if you don't have your original boxes.. dang, do people really not keep those? how do you expect to sell stuff in the future! always keep boxes for stuff you can sell in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    can't you simply pay for more carry on luggage space?
    i think you can pay to bring on another bag, but not a ~larger~ bag. it is to do with how big the storage inside the plane is. although maybe some airlines have different rules.
    Last edited by the boar; 2016-04-01 at 08:01 PM.

TBH i dont know anyone who saves boxes like that lol. Most people only keep motherboard box and toss all the extra parts in there you didnt use in your build.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    TBH i dont know anyone who saves boxes like that lol. Most people only keep motherboard box and toss all the extra parts in there you didnt use in your build.
    I always save all my component boxes, and not just so I can sell the parts later, but if they fail, you need something to send it back to the mfg in. Original packaging is the best, this way they can not blame any damage on your packaging as it's the same thing they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I always save all my component boxes, and not just so I can sell the parts later, but if they fail, you need something to send it back to the mfg in. Original packaging is the best, this way they can not blame any damage on your packaging as it's the same thing they use.
    Same here, takes some space but worth it when you need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I have a place here full of hardware boxes as well =p

And he might not want to put it at cargo because it's generally handled throwing the bags around and without any care at all. Chances are that the computer is going to get damaged if it's assembled. Separate parts inside proper boxes inside a bag filled with bubble plastic would be his best option.