Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Assistance with New Build

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for some advice on places that I can cut some costs without sacrificing too much performance. Basically, the items that I want are: I5 7600k; GTX 1070.

Everything else is open for suggestions. Im looking to have a tax included price of $1500 CAD. I don't really know enough about the mobo, ram ,psu, and SSD to make educated cost cuts on those items. I've price a build at the moment but it's around 500 bucks over what im looking to spend.

Is $1500 wishful thinking ?
    Last edited by Babcole; 2017-05-02 at 11:33 PM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($278.25 @ shopRBC)
    Motherboard: MSI B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($127.99 @ PC Canada)
    Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Seagate FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($96.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($525.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
    Total: $1359.18
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-02 19:59 EDT-0400

(Can't quote previous post because of links)

Thanks for the reply! Without starting a Ryzen vs Intel firestorm, could you provide a similar list with an Intel i5 7600k option ? It's fine if you're slightly above 1500 it was just a basis

Quote Originally Posted by Babcole View Post
    (Can't quote previous post because of links)

Thanks for the reply! Without starting a Ryzen vs Intel firestorm, could you provide a similar list with an Intel i5 7600k option ? It's fine if you're slightly above 1500 it was just a basis
    No, i cannot. I have stopped suggesting i5's with the introduction of Ryzen 5 CPU's.

Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just take the same stuff from his and change the mobo and cpu. You can do it ! Enjoy the 7600k!

Although it might be just as easy for you to do your own with stuff you like since the guy above clearly didnt care to listen to you at all.
    Last edited by Maruka; 2017-05-03 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah he wasn't exactly helpful. I would have preferred if he elaborated on why he feels so strongly about the Ryzen (outside of the obvious price). Everything I read says Ryzen is great for multithread tasks, but the Intel still pulls ahead for gaming. Maybe it's only very marginal and not cost effective? Guess we'll never.
    Ps. Reppin' Berta hard ... go oilers

Not helphul, heh.

Like i said, good luck.

I would have preferred if he elaborated on why he feels so strongly about the Ryzen (outside of the obvious price)
    This goes a bit off topic, but you asked.. These are recommendations, it's hard to recommend something if you currently don't believe in it's promise. Next generation of Intel will likely fix this, but the current Intel i5 is near pointless now, except for a very few edge cases where i7 sees no benefit. i5 is no longer the "budget" option, Ryzen 5 is. Now do people take it a bit too far, yeah maybe, but it doesn't really change anything.

Also winning in gaming doesn't mean much, when both hold minimums over your refresh rate(at least sub 75Hz) in everything out on the market(well except for WoW, but nothing will hold 60 on that). This was the reason people went for x600K before, just now it is replaced by the Ryzen 1600 and 1600x and leaves the 7700K still on the very top.

So yeah pretty much the only reason why someone would recommend an i5 is if you are doing 120Hz+, but even then you would likely want a 7700K for it's superior binning and hyperthreading.

Anywho, sorry for the off topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a 7600k build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.75 @ Vuugo)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ DirectCanada)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Sandisk Z400s 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.00 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.83 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($519.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.50 @ Vuugo)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1530.03
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-02 23:28 EDT-0400

Part reasoning:

CPU: What you wanted.
    CPU Cooler: 240mm AIO liquid cooler will allow you to push a good OC on your CPU.
    Mobo: A good no frills mobo from a reputable brand. (What you need and nothing you don't.) Plain black - plus in my book.
    RAM: Put 8gb in there in a 4gb x 2 config for dual channel. Upgrade to 16gb with another 4gb x 2 when you need it. (Won't be for awhile.)
    SSD: A cheap reliable SSD. Big enough for your OS and some other things.
    HDD: A WD Blue. 1TB for game storage. Yup... uh-huh...
    GPU: 1070 as requested. EVGA is a good brand with a great warranty. Black to match rest of build.
    Case: Highly subjective. You could look at NZXT, Fractal Design, Cooler Master or Phanteks for other good options. Pick what you like the looks of.
    PSU: This is a good high quality PSU. EVGA's G2 / G3 series are great. Never cheap out on your PSU.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

mrgreenthump - thank you for the detailed reasoning as to why people are currently recommending Ryzen. No need to apologize for off topic - I'm here to learn.

ovm33 - thank you for the build. It's essentially exactly what I was asking for.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah he wasn't exactly helpful. I would have preferred if he elaborated on why he feels so strongly about the Ryzen (outside of the obvious price). Everything I read says Ryzen is great for multithread tasks, but the Intel still pulls ahead for gaming. Maybe it's only very marginal and not cost effective? Guess we'll never.
    Yes, intel still pulls ahead for gaming, very very slightly and it's a difference your eyes will likely never even notice, if your monitor is even capable of displaying the difference.. In double blind tests, experts could not tell the difference. In fact, in the double blind video I watched, in one particular game at one particular point all the people mentioned some stuttering on one of the systems. At the end thay found out it was one of the intel systems. Outside of that, they could not even see a difference. So yeah, sure, there's 2-5% more FPS there on paper, but you'll never notice that unless the only game you play is "FPS Counter E-Peen Contest," in which case you'd be going to the i7-7600k anyway,

Also, I don't blame Fascinate for not explaining. He's been explaining it all over these forums for weeks now and gets a lot of flak for it. When you OP said you wanted intel, most will basically assume you will argue against Ryzen and we are probably wasting our breath explaining it to you anyway. We see it all the time here where people come and ask for advice, advice is given and then they want to sit there and argue and say that the advice is bad. It gets real old real fast and the way your OP was saying you want intel and then the response to a Ryzen build was, make it intel, it seemed you might be one of those people at first. Some people don't actually want real advice, they just want what they have already determined on their own to be validated.

I wasn't going to argue the fact. I simply wanted an Intel build as an alternate proposal in the case that I disagreed with his, or others reasoning behind the Ryzen build.

Through no help of Fascinate, I'm leaning towards a Ryzen build now after speaking with multiple people across different forums. He did assist me with a detailed parts list though, and I thank you for that. Getting flak in other threads is no excuse to carry it into my thread.

Well at least you see the light now

Intel is still fastest for gaming, if you want a gaming machine now - get Intel, period (a ~6700K if you can afford it, it isnt too much above the 7600K)

ideally if theres no big hurry - wait till August/Fall 2017 - Intel will have Coffee Lake out, which will have a 6C/6T i5, which is going to be absolutely perfect for gaming, it will have +2 cores over current Intels and IPC/clocks over Ryzens

as cheap as Ryzen can be - theres no way Im going to recommend a gaming CPU in 2017 that maxes out its OC @ a measly 4.0 GHz
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-03 at 10:43 PM.

You don't buy i5's with the release of R5's for any type of machine.

i7 is a different story, but that is a whole other price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Intel is still fastest for gaming, if you want a gaming machine now - get Intel, period (a ~6700K if you can afford it, it isnt too much above the 7600K)

ideally if theres no big hurry - wait till August/Fall 2017 - Intel will have Coffee Lake out, which will have a 6C/6T i5, which is going to be absolutely perfect for gaming, it will have +2 cores over current Intels and IPC/clocks over Ryzens

as cheap as Ryzen can be - theres no way Im going to recommend a gaming CPU in 2017 that maxes out its OC @ a measly 4.0 GHz
    While intel may be fastest at gaming, you need to actually be able to see those frames you theoretically can calculate, if you are on a 1080p 60hz screen ryzen is the better choice since it's irrelevant that your intel CPU "can" got to 175 fps vs 145 fps on ryzen and on higher resolutions, the gap gets smaller and you are more likely to get GPU bound b4 CPU.

1080p 60hz
    huge difference between 45-50 fps and 55-60 fps

which is entirely possible with latest games @ Ultra @ 1080p

plus who said OP is @ 1080p/60hz .. or that he wont want to upgrade his monitor later on

or that he wont upgrade his GPU later, while keeping the same CPU, thus removing the GPU bottleneck
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-04 at 01:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    While intel may be fastest at gaming, you need to actually be able to see those frames you theoretically can calculate, if you are on a 1080p 60hz screen ryzen is the better choice since it's irrelevant that your intel CPU "can" got to 175 fps vs 145 fps on ryzen and on higher resolutions, the gap gets smaller and you are more likely to get GPU bound b4 CPU.
    IF the games you play are already in that range. Admittedly it's the majority of the games but there are still some out there that heavily depend on single thread performance and are stuck below 60 or even below 30. In that case you might want to get every bit of performance you can get.

Unfortunately the OP didn't mention any games or workload for the new machine so we can't really make a proper recommendation other than "most likely ryzen, but maybe intel".

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel pulls ahead cause most games aren't optimized for RyZen. Also the difference in gaming performance is minor in like 99% of games. Many people report that gaming on RyZen is smoother, despite lower frame rates. I would rethink your decision to stick with 7600K.

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2017-05-04 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks everyone for the detailed responses and helpful information. At the end of the day I went with a Ryzen 1600 and a EVGA gtx 1070 SC.
    I've noticed the conversation has drifted into the realm of resolution and monitors. Which brings me to my next question-could I get some recommendations on monitors ?
    I'm interested in 1440p but again I have very little knowledge on monitors. Do you recommend an ultra wide ? IPS or TN?
    What questions do I need to answer to help you with your recommendations? I generally play a lot of action/rpg games , but I do sometimes play oberwatch. Would I be limiting my game library by a large margin by purchasing a non 144hz?