Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    The other Clara-as-irritating thing in Listen (which is not Jenna's fault, but Moffat's writing of the character) was the stupid "Is that what I look like from behind?" comment, as if it was some gag for Moffat to say "hey, I know you don't think the Doctor is sexy but Clara is, so look at her!".

It was beyond pointless.
    I thought it was a Prisoner of Askaban reference :3

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    They would have needed something far less subtle to accomplish that...like throwing a rock at the Doctor's head or something.
    BAD WOLF

The other Clara-as-irritating thing in Listen (which is not Jenna's fault, but Moffat's writing of the character) was the stupid "Is that what I look like from behind?" comment, as if it was some gag for Moffat to say "hey, I know you don't think the Doctor is sexy but Clara is, so look at her!".

It was beyond pointless.
    That's one way to look at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do love that the doctor keeps insulting her and her man-ish hips, wide face, control freak nature and others :S

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I do love that the doctor keeps insulting her and her man-ish hips, wide face, control freak nature and others :S
    To which she barely registers a reaction, short of giving her next line in the script.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Haha I pretty much just figured it's a fairly normal thing for a person to say because we don't often see ourselves from behind without the use of mirrors. And when you do use mirrors it's not really the same view someone would see if they were just standing behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Haha I pretty much just figured it's a fairly normal thing for a person to say because we don't often see ourselves from behind without the use of mirrors. And when you do use mirrors it's not really the same view someone would see if they were just standing behind you.
    How normal is time travel?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Most MMOs are living in the past, so it's more common than you would think. *zing* too soon...wrong thread?
    BAD WOLF

For Clara at this point it's pretty normal

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Most MMOs are living in the past, so it's more common than you would think. *zing* too soon...wrong thread?
    oh You

I wish the Doctor would travel alone more in the series. We know that he spends weeks, even years away from his regular companion but the show only gives us episodes with the current companion. Like the show is technically about the companions, and the Doctor is a side character. I don't like that. I want the Doctor to do his own thing; Water of Mars was brilliant when David Tennant finally stepped out on his own. Hell, he can even take other people with him like the Paternoster Gang, or other pseudo-companions, or even team up with someone like the Mother Superior in an episode. It annoys me that we're stuck following this single companion throughout the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I wish the Doctor would travel alone more in the series. We know that he spends weeks, even years away from his regular companion but the show only gives us episodes with the current companion. Like the show is technically about the companions, and the Doctor is a side character. I don't like that. I want the Doctor to do his own thing; Water of Mars was brilliant when David Tennant finally stepped out on his own. Hell, he can even take other people with him like the Paternoster Gang, or other pseudo-companions, or even team up with someone like the Mother Superior in an episode. It annoys me that we're stuck following this single companion throughout the series.
    That's what was so nice about those specials with the tenth Doctor, where he was off on solo adventures (of which Waters of Mars was a part). Tom Baker very much wanted the Doctor to go solo, didn't want a companion, after Romana.

The show technically being about the companions with the Doctor being a side character is in keeping with the origins of the show, where the stories really focused on Barbara and Ian, who happened to get stuck with the Doctor and his grand-daughter. Of course that rapidly changed as the character of the Doctor became extremely popular and that format was abandoned until more or less recently (recently being the "relaunched" Doctor Who).
    The problem with that format, which no doubt was the problem back in the first season, is that people want to watch the extraordinary character, not the ordinary ones. Sherlock Holmes wasn't written with Watson as the main character, because he's us, he's boring, he's limited, we see him every damned day in our real lives.

Doctor Who having such a focus on the companion(s) is that in the attempt to keep them interesting, the Doctor is diminished as the companions need to be capable of the extraordinary and remarkable, as though being chosen to travel with the Doctor isn't extraordinary enough.

Listen proved from the opening that Capaldi could carry an episode as the Doctor, alone, without a companion. Once he was shoehorned into needing her, he became less, she became more, ultimately becoming far, far, more than was good or proper storytelling for the show.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

Well, it could be interesting to have a season where the Doctor went on solo adventures, but it's been established that the Doctor loses it without a companion, so it probably wouldn't last that long.

I think Tenth and Eleventh were more "main" character than Twelfth is currently, but I find it a nice change of pace to make the Doctor more mysterious rather than the companions being the mysterious ones. I think it's somewhat an side-effect of having the Doctor change but the companion stay the same (Rose carrying over counts less since Ninth had only been around one season anyway, and there was a love-interest element immediately in play because of age).
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2014-09-17 at 09:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, it could be interesting to have a season where the Doctor went on solo adventures, but it's been established that the Doctor loses it without a companion, so it probably wouldn't last that long.

I think Tenth and Eleventh were more "main" character than Twelfth is currently, but I find it a nice change of pace to make the Doctor more mysterious rather than the companions being the mysterious ones. I think it's somewhat an side-effect of having the Doctor change but the companion stay the same (Rose carrying over counts less since Ninth had only been around one season anyway, and there was a love-interest element immediately in play because of age).
    I mean he could go on solo adventures yet have a companion, like the 10th doctor on that sand special.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I mean he could go on solo adventures yet have a companion, like the 10th doctor on that sand special.
    Sand special?

Deleted
    Planet of the Dead

I know the Doctor isn't supposed to travel alone because he gets out of touch with reality, but he IS traveling alone. A lot. There was a 3 week time period between the end of the first episode and the beginning of the second. What did he do for 3 weeks except travel alone? And with Matt Smith's era he ages like 200 some years during the like 10 companion-years of Amy; he was almost always drastically older when he came to pick her up each time. It would be nice to see what he's up to on those solo adventures is all. I know the companion is intended to represent the audience - and is really there just for asking questions and giving exposition - but it's gotten real old real quick with Clara.

I cannot disagree.
    It's like she's in the blissful state of being impervious or ignorant of the events going on around her. I'm sure Jenna is very nice and fun to work with and all of that, but her acting in the show is mediocre. She was good in Deep Breath and Into the Dalek, so I'm wondering if it takes a certain director or director's style to get her to actually act (both were the same director). If she's really wooden in Time Heist, that will indicate a trend (same director as Listen).

Completely agreed with Clara being forced into the Doctor's childhood being borderline blasphemy. Her "impossible girl" arc with being the Doctor's guardian angel was bad enough, but to suggest she's responsible, even a little bit, for the formation of the Doctor's philosophy is just too much to accept and I resent Moffat for taking such a heavy hand in redesigning the Doctor's past.

Danny on the other hand, I really like. The actor has great range of character, depth of person, and is just interesting. Keep him, ditch Clara.
    i kind of disagree. i like to think a good chunk of the reason the doctor is who he is is BECAUSE of his companions atleast in my opinion.

sure the doctor is still the doctor but the new series has really played up that the doctor without a companion is just a really bad thing that wouldnt really resemble what he tries to stand for.

time and time again in the new series since its started they keep repeating the "dont be alone" or whenever he acts undoctorish the companions usually ask "how long have you been on your own"

i dont think its a clara specific thing but a companion specific thing.

"fear makes companions of us all" that fear of being alone drives the doctor to find companions who make the doctor better. in the new series the doctor is as much a companion as the companions are alot of the time.

i know some people like the doctor to be very independent and stand on his own but i personally like that the doctor kind of needs other people to help him continue being the person he is
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I know the Doctor isn't supposed to travel alone because he gets out of touch with reality, but he IS traveling alone. A lot. I know the companion is intended to represent the audience - and is really there just for asking questions and giving exposition - but it's gotten real old real quick with Clara.
    They've very firmly cemented that the Doctor is off on his own a lot, such as with Listen, where the episode starts with the Doctor alone and he has to go find Clara. Companions are fleeting for him in the overall span of time.

I don't find Clara a good audience interface at all.

"Okey dokey!"

Writer Peter Harness has teased his upcoming Series 8 episode Kill the Moon in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (#478).

The mag hints at a life-changing dilemma for Clara and says that by the end of the episode things will never be the same again due to the Doctor’s actions.

Harness says: “I still don’t know how people will take it. I’m in this kind of limbo now waiting for people to see it, and I’ve no idea, really I do not know how it is going to go down.

“I’ve never seen the Doctor do something like this before…”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/dwm-thi...moon-66800.htm

Time Heist

Synopsis:

» This is a recorded message. Interaction is not possible. The last clear memory of anyone in this room is of receiving a contact from an unknown agency. I am that agency. The details of what has happened since have been erased from your minds for your own protection. Pay close attention to the following briefing.

» This is the Bank of Karabraxos. The most dangerous bank in the galaxy. A fortress for the super-rich. If you can afford your own star system, this is where you keep it. No-one sets foot on the planet without protocols. All movement is monitored. All air-consumption regulated on pain of death. DNA is authenticated at every stage. Even your unauthorised presence on this planet will have been detected. Your lives are in danger. The Bank of Karabraxos is protected by the deadliest security system ever devised. » Today you are going to rob the bank of Karabraxos. » Welcome to the heist.«

Episode Quote:

THE DOCTOR: “Almost no-one has that number.”
    CLARA: “I’ve got it.”
    THE DOCTOR: “From some woman in a shop. And we still don’t know who that was.”
    CLARA: (Of the ringing phone) “Is that her now?”
    THE DOCTOR:” I don’t know. But there are very few people it could be.

The Caretaker

Synopsis:

Coal Hill School has a new caretaker. He hides a strange blue box in his cupboard and carries a sonic screwdriver instead of a broom. Clara is suitably mortified, but the Doctor has got bigger things to worry about – especially when Danny Pink starts to work out just what has been going on…

Episode Quote:

CLARA: “This school is in danger.”
    THE DOCTOR: “Lucky I’m here then.”
    CLARA: “From you… You wouldn’t be here if there wasn’t an alien threat nearby. Your strategy for dealing with it involves endangering this school.”
    THE DOCTOR: “You don’t know that.”
    CLARA: “I don’t know anything – because you haven’t told me anything. Which means I wouldn’t approve. Which means you’re endangering this school.”

Other bits:

Similarities to The Lodger with the Doctor trying to blend in, but he is far ruder and has no patience.
    Writers Gareth Roberts and Moffat also mimicked The Lodger in terms of threat level, feeling Closing Time had too much of it.
    First major appearance of recurring character Coal Hill pupil Courtney. The Doctor sees a kindred spirit in her in that she has no social niceties
    The Doctor is very rude to Danny, especially when he learns of his past as a soldier. Roberts wondered if they were going too far with it, but they kept it in anyway.

Kill the Moon

Synopsis:

The Moon has changed – and now it’s threatening to wipe out all life on Earth. But when the Doctor uncovers its secrets, he realises the situation is graver than anyone thought. Can he stand by and let humanity destroy the Moon?

Episode Quote:

Clara: “We have a terrible decision to make. It’s an uncertain decision, and we don’t have a lot of time. The man who normally helps – he’s gone. Maybe he’s not coming back. In fact, I really don’t think he is. We’re on our own…”

Other bits:

An early script title was “Return to Sarn” but it was all a big Moffat trick. The final title isn’t a play on a Romeo & Juliet line, just something attention grabbing.
    Courtney comes on this adventure because she begs the Doctor for a trip in the TARDIS.
    Human astronauts led by Hermione Norris are trying to nuke the moon. The moon has become heavier and is washing away Earth under huge tidal waves.
    Moffat briefed writer Peter Harness to “Hinchcliffe the s*** out of it for the first half” in terms of scares.
    Originally written for Smith’s Doctor, but Capaldi works better because of his more alien Doctor.
    There’s a life changing dilemma that Clara has to face.

Mummy on the Orient Express

Synopsis:

The famous Orient Express, thundering along on its journey across space, came to a sudden stop. The hyperspace ribbons under its wheels faded and it began to float, engines dead. Everything was deathly quiet. “And the facade drops away,” murmured the Doctor, delighted. Upon which, he found himself very much wanted. For on the Orient Express murder had been committed. And the murderer was still on board! The Doctor investigates. He raises his mighty eyebrows and thinks – with his little grey cells…

Episode Quote:

“I have been alive a very long time, and I have yet to meet a ghost or a god that didn’t turn out to be… I don’t know, sentient gas? Or technology masquerading as magic? This is no demon. Or ghost. Or curse. And I will show you it.”

Other notes:

This Orient Express is a futuristic space train.
    Frank Skinner is playing Perkins, the train’s chief engineer.
    The title suggests a silly romp, but it is not that at all. It’s actually very dark with a lot of deaths
    It’s claustrophobic horror.
    The Mummy was deemed too scary by the BBC and will require a later time slot.
    The Mummy kills its victims by walking towards them and they only have 66 seconds to live.

Read the full previews and more in the new issue out Thursday 18 September.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/tantali...-5-8-66791.htm

- - - Updated - - -

i think mummy on the orient express is going to be a bit like god complex
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    “I have been alive a very long time, and I have yet to meet a ghost or a god that didn’t turn out to be… I don’t know, sentient gas? Or technology masquerading as magic? This is no demon. Or ghost. Or curse. And I will show you it.”
    We did see the devil now....
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose