Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    pretty sure people dont remember sarah jane because of how she met the doctor.... thats almost an insult to everything shes done on the show

---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 02:12 AM ----------

well we know theres going to be a special for every doctor so unless they plan on showing an audio drama or something the only 8th doctor content is the movie

---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 02:15 AM ----------

i think they are going to shock people and not have it be anything about his name and actually about him as a character, maybe about how he is "the other"

i mentioned "the other" a while ago, no one else picked up on it

in old dr who they started building up a story for it, but the show was cancelled before it played off, due to all the timelords being dead we may never know who the other was, i don't think it was the doctor though, hes much too young

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    -she's not a mystery woman, her existence is the mystery, as opposed to her identity
    -she can die and has died, so not like Rory
    -Donna wasn't cheeky, she was just a bitch!! (lol dont get me wrong, I loved the Donna character!!)
    Exactly, and River was so awful of a character, the worst thing to happen to Who in my honest opinion, I wish she had just remained a complete mystery. I am sad that she will be in the 50th anniversary.

I'm honestly enjoying Clara as a companion, great chemistry with Smith and has an interesting story line that doesn't involve her being doctor godmode.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-04-02 at 12:53 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My hatred for matt smith just seems to grow with every episode i see lol >.<
    Don't watch it then... Like it boggles my mind how people express so much disdain for Smith, for Moffat's writing, but then swear they love the show. I guess this is on MMO-C, where people have perfected that behavior in regards to WoW for years.

It's just a little tiring. If you don't like the Doctor or don't like the writing, guess what, you don't actually like the show. Find something else to watch FFS.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    A strange theory i heard today, that Clara is the child from the other dimension thingy between the doctor and Rose and that would tie in with the 50th anniversary episode etc.

While highly unlikely i thought it sounded pretty cool, would explain a few things too, then again would bring a crap load more questions too.
    That would be pretty cool and it does seem like something Moffat would do... So I wouldn't discount it just yet.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Don't watch it then... Like it boggles my mind how people express so much disdain for Smith, for Moffat's writing, but then swear they love the show. I guess this is on MMO-C, where people have perfected that behavior in regards to WoW for years.

It's just a little tiring. If you don't like the Doctor or don't like the writing, guess what, you don't actually like the show. Find something else to watch FFS.
    That is a silly thing to say. People can love doctor who but hate the latest writer or doctor, you don't have to love every story or every character to be a fan of something.

Lots of people hate river song, should they all stop watching it? Same with the current doctor, i dislike him but i still want to find out what happens. I watched every episode prior to season 5 at least 7times each, yet apparently because i don't like matt smith as the doctor i should stop watching it. That would be stupid.

If you can't understand why people get so attached to certain characters and story's in doctor who then why are you even watching it?

I'm seriously sick of people saying unless you are 100% in approval of everything that happens in a show,game,book,film etc while offering no criticism then you shouldn't watch/read it. I said i didn't like Garrus in the mass effect thread, people bit my head off,i said i hate Appa in avatar and people said it was nonsense, i said i couldn't remember any of the new pokemon names because there are so many and people went on a witch hunt calling me hipster 0o

People really need to calm down and understand that everyone has different opinions to them. -.-
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-04-02 at 01:59 PM.

Technically existence isn't tied to a body, so no she didn't die. She just had her consciousness transferred into a different 'body'. She would've have been dead if her consciousness was consumed by the Great Intelligence, so he prevented her death this time.

Spoilers...she is actually River Song. THIS WHOLE TIME.
    EH depends... they never did reveal if he actually felt a pulse every time he touched her neck. Also with her consciousness transferred out does that mean there was any brain activity. I would think not which would mean she was at least clinically dead. And what about some of the other people? Like the people who's bodies had been buried. From what they said in the show I don't think they would have been able to return to their bodies, not to mention if there was any sign of life they would have been in a coma not dead and the whole premise was people were mysteriously dying. If you are clinically dead there is a very narrow window in which you can be brought back and be fine, and a slightly larger one but with brain damage. So I still think she was technically dead

And I would be pissed if she was River, as much as I love River

I complete agree with your opinion in this regard. Oddly enough the bit about Martha hits home because I could not stand her when I first watched the series. I was so cemented on Rose, that Martha's sudden and obvious advances were almost sacrilegious to m. I completely hated her until right before she was gone.

Going back and watching those episodes again though, I actually like her personality and interactions with the Doctor. Though I'm not sure that complexity isn't a good thing. Who knows right? Maybe it made it more interesting for me, I honestly don't know. In regards to Donna, I was more shocked that Catherine Tate turned out to be a serious companion at first, but she had some solid writing for those stories leading us up to Matt Smith. That transition period was probably one of the stronger times.
    Same for me with Martha. Though her puppy doggieness still annoys the crap out of me. Her best moments were when she wasn't with The Doctor. I also still love that she ends up with Micky.

---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 10:12 AM ----------

I'm seriously sick of people saying unless you are 100% in approval of everything that happens in a show,game,book,film etc while offering no criticism then you shouldn't watch/read it. I said i didn't like Garrus in the mass effect thread, people bit my head off,i said i hate Appa in avatar and people said it was nonsense, i said i couldn't remember any of the new pokemon names because there are so many and people went on a witch hunt calling me hipster 0o

People really need to calm down and understand that everyone has different opinions to them. -.-
    I think his point was more that there are some people who seem to like nothing at all since Matt took over which is fine and they seem to only watch to then complain about how awful it is. It does seem to be a bit silly to keep watching something you think is all around horrible with no redeeming value at all. It's equally annoying to me personally as people who think there are zero flaws. All things have good things and bad things about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you need to calm down if you think that required such a long response and bringing up other issues and threads. The only constant in all of your scenarios is you. That's probably telling...

The point was that if you feel the need to constantly say everything you hate about something, you should probably reevaluate what it means to like something. And if you think you can like a current form of a show, but say you hate all of the writing or the central character, then you have issues that don't speak to liking the show.

I then pointed at the same garbage we see all over these forums about WoW with people constantly saying how much they hate every change they make, every storyline, everything Blizzard does yet they continue paying for it all. I've been guilty of it plenty in regards to SWTOR, so it's a minor case of pots and kettles, but I can admit it instead of flying off the handle on a rant that people are on a witchhunt after you.

In direct response to Doctor Who, yes saying you hate the current Doctor means you should probably just not watch. If you want to know the story, feel free to catch up with the wiki page and insert David Tennant's face in your mind, so you don't have to be so laboriously tortured by Matt Smith and your opinions.

---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I think his point was more that there are some people who seem to like nothing at all since Matt took over which is fine and they seem to only watch to then complain about how awful it is. It does seem to be a bit silly to keep watching something you think is all around horrible with no redeeming value at all. It's equally annoying to me personally as people who think there are zero flaws. All things have good things and bad things about them.
    Yes..much better and less insulting than I said it. It just seems to be suffering from the same things WoW does. It has grown tremendously in popularity to where there is now a subsect of fans who need to be 'cooler', whether by intention or not, by saying everything is trash. Like I said I am plenty guilty of it, but when the majority of people are talking about how they like things it's pretty rude to keep going on about how much you hate it.

I've heard more 'I hate Moffat, I hate Matt Smith, I hate Amy and Rory, I hate...blah blah in the last 6 months it's like some vague attempt at being a neohipster by proclaiming youre a Who fan, but you hate everything. It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-04-02 at 02:16 PM.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard more 'I hate Moffat, I hate Matt Smith, I hate Amy and Rory, I hate...blah blah in the last 6 months it's like some vague attempt at being a neohipster by proclaiming youre a Who fan, but you hate everything. It makes no sense.
    welcome to the world. Where you're only cool if you hate everything, but still stick around, just to be gather more fuel for your hate.

personally while he's not my favourite, I still think Matt Smith is doing a fine job. Moffat is an AWESOME writer, but as I was saying the other day, while he is brilliant at writing the long arcs, planning out insane complex storylines that only he will ever REALLY understand, he's not as good at writing the oneshot episodes (Blink being the exception ).

If I was in charge, I'd have him planning the arcs, but not actually writing the episodes, I'd outsource that to people like Niel Gaiman
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    welcome to the world. Where you're only cool if you hate everything, but still stick around, just to be gather more fuel for your hate.

personally while he's not my favourite, I still think Matt Smith is doing a fine job. Moffat is an AWESOME writer, but as I was saying the other day, while he is brilliant at writing the long arcs, planning out insane complex storylines that only he will ever REALLY understand, he's not as good at writing the oneshot episodes (Blink being the exception ).

If I was in charge, I'd have him planning the arcs, but not actually writing the episodes, I'd outsource that to people like Niel Gaiman
    That's interesting to think about...Gaiman...hmm. Have you watched Sherlock? Given the episiodes are twice as long, I think he does a great job writing those as standalones, though Gatiss does cowrite with him.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you need to calm down if you think that required such a long response and bringing up other issues and threads. The only constant in all of your scenarios is you. That's probably telling...
    Or the people on mmochampion that seem to have an observe disorder relating to anything they enjoy and the need to defend it against any criticism what so ever.0o The reason I brought up other threads is because you mentioned wow and mmochampion.

The point was that if you feel the need to constantly say everything you hate about something, you should probably reevaluate what it means to like something. And if you think you can like a current form of a show, but say you hate all of the writing or the central character, then you have issues that don't speak to liking the show.
    When did I say I hate all the central characters? I hate matt smith, I still love the doctor and every companion that has passed through the Tardis doors. I was practically crying when amy and rory jumped.

I then pointed at the same garbage we see all over these forums about WoW with people constantly saying how much they hate every change they make, every storyline, everything Blizzard does yet they continue paying for it all. I've been guilty of it plenty in regards to SWTOR, so it's a minor case of pots and kettles, but I can admit it instead of flying off the handle on a rant that people are on a witchhunt after you.
    Just the pokemon fans, they are ravenous. Also what do you want me to admit? I love wow, i barely complain about it and that’s usually due to the 6-12month before expansions. Everything i play/read or watch i love it, otherwise i wouldn't do so, just because i am pointing out things i dislike about it doesn't mean there are 1000 more things that i enjoy about it.

In direct response to Doctor Who, yes saying you hate the current Doctor means you should probably just not watch
    That makes no sense at all, there are more things going on than just Matt Smiths acting in doctor who to make people keep watching, yet according to you that’s the only reason why people should watch?
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-04-02 at 02:50 PM.

i admit i didnt read all 60+ pages of this discussion and so if this has been said i apologize. I love dr who, been watching it since the first "new" season came out in 2005, and i aucutally really loved that doctor actor who started out in 2005, i admit i am not good at remembering names (besides tenant and smith now) but he was in the horror movie 28 days later as the leader of the military unit towards the end, that's the connection i immediately made when i seen that first season i was like oh look its that dude from 28 days later lol

anyways, sitting here remembering all the episodes over the years i thought of something just now, and call it cliche or unoriginal but what if at some point they went back and re-did the series from the start? obviously they cant be the originals they are timeless classics, and i know everyone has their favorite doctors and has loved the show since it came out, but with hollywood always re-making classic movies for a new generation, what if they were to go back and do the original series but now with updated stuff, maybe clean up the story some, connect it better re-invent it a bit for a new generation?

normally i would say i wouldnt ever want it to happen, but thinking of the possibilities of having a fresh new version of all those black and white episodes or even the "lost" episodes brought into current times, would be an awesome thing. Hell even if they just were to trial it and make certain episodes to try it out or just a few episodes total, i think it would be pretty cool.

I'll get flamed for this i am sure, but i still think it would be cool to see many of the classic episodes brought to our time, i think with the right actors and writers, this can be done and they could really make something awesome

i am all for new episodes, and new series and adventures, matt smith is great, i just think some of the old stuff should be re-imagined , there is limitless amount of episodes from those years, i think its time to start bringing them back to audience of this era

am i to out of line?

/endrant

10+ Year Old Account
    Or the people on mmochampion that seem to have an observe disorder relating to anything they enjoy and the need to defend it against any criticism what so ever.0o The reason I brought up other threads is because you mentioned wow and mmochampion.
    Right...you have exhibited this behavior before. You are the common factor in all of the occurences. Surely it's everyone else who is wrong and not you. That's the logic that makes the world go round.

That makes no sense at all, there are more things going on than just Matt Smiths acting in doctor who to make people keep watching, yet according to you that’s the only reason why people should watch?
    Yes, that's clearly what I was insinuating.

People are free to like things for various reasons, but it's a little odd to have someone going on about how much they hate the central character of a show, or the writing of a show, but they just absolutely love the show! They just feel the need to remind you every post how much they dislike a,b,c.

It would be like me going to a restaurant that only serves specific courses. I dislike the main course, but I am forced to eat it anyways. I go because I just looove the appetizer, but I'm going to tell you how much I hate the main course and the chef who makes everything, but I swears guys, I love this place.

Just go get your appetizers somewhere else for a while until they have a main course you enjoy.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account
    The BBC confirm that the Zygons will be back for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special:

http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013...or-doctor.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...ersary-Special
    Last edited by Solidito; 2013-04-02 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urza29 View Post
    i admit i didnt read all 60+ pages of this discussion and so if this has been said i apologize. I love dr who, been watching it since the first "new" season came out in 2005, and i aucutally really loved that doctor actor who started out in 2005, i admit i am not good at remembering names (besides tenant and smith now) but he was in the horror movie 28 days later as the leader of the military unit towards the end, that's the connection i immediately made when i seen that first season i was like oh look its that dude from 28 days later lol
    He's been in lots of random stuff, but you'll see him most notably in the upcoming sequel to Thor as the main villain. Malekith.

can't wait for that, I love Eccleston.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Right...you have exhibited this behavior before. You are the common factor in all of the occurences. Surely it's everyone else who is wrong and not you. That's the logic that makes the world go round.
    So you are able to generalize the entire of mmochampion in relation to wow, yet I'm not able to do it when talking about pokemon fans?

Yes, that's clearly what I was insinuating.
    Please expand on it further then. You suggested that saying you hate a part of something means that you hate it entirely which is obviously not the case.

it's a little odd to have someone going on about how much they hate the central character of a show, or the writing of a show, but they just absolutely love the show! They just feel the need to remind you every post how much they dislike a,b,c.
    I hate the actor, not the doctor.

It would be like me going to a restaurant that only serves specific courses. I dislike the main course, but I am forced to eat it anyways. I go because I just looove the appetizer, but I'm going to tell you how much I hate the main course and the chef who makes everything, but I swears guys, I love this place.
    Actually it's more like ordering a starter/ main meal and then skipping desert because you are diabetic.

TBH i don't even know why we are arguing, we both obviously are passionate about doctor who >.<
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-04-02 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Urza29 View Post

anyways, sitting here remembering all the episodes over the years i thought of something just now, and call it cliche or unoriginal but what if at some point they went back and re-did the series from the start? obviously they cant be the originals they are timeless classics, and i know everyone has their favorite doctors and has loved the show since it came out, but with hollywood always re-making classic movies for a new generation, what if they were to go back and do the original series but now with updated stuff, maybe clean up the story some, connect it better re-invent it a bit for a new generation?

normally i would say i wouldnt ever want it to happen, but thinking of the possibilities of having a fresh new version of all those black and white episodes or even the "lost" episodes brought into current times, would be an awesome thing. Hell even if they just were to trial it and make certain episodes to try it out or just a few episodes total, i think it would be pretty cool.

I'll get flamed for this i am sure, but i still think it would be cool to see many of the classic episodes brought to our time, i think with the right actors and writers, this can be done and they could really make something awesome

i am all for new episodes, and new series and adventures, matt smith is great, i just think some of the old stuff should be re-imagined , there is limitless amount of episodes from those years, i think its time to start bringing them back to audience of this era

am i to out of line?

/endrant
    no, there is actually a rule about that. they cant reboot doctor who ever, any movies or comics or spin offs have to be connected to the show ect.

after 50 years and being a cultural icon its just not possible and im glad the bbc agrees

---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    The BBC confirm that the Zygons will be back for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special:

http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013...or-doctor.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...ersary-Special
    while i like other people have wanted to see the zygons back... im not quite sure the 50th anniversary is the place for them... although i guess i should wait and see how involved they are, they could just have a cameo or something
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

I think Moffat's actually very good at single episodes compared to a lot of the other writers. He's incredibly good at setup and payoff, which is what always makes the resolutions to his stories so satisfying. I think he's at his best when writing two-parters -- he has a tendency to cram in far too many radical scene changes and risks tripping over his own feet with the pacing in some single episodes -- but even his craziest 45-minute stories are still pretty solid and well constructed overall, which is even more impressive given how much he's trying to stuff into them.

And I like his tongue-in-cheek nods to the fans. The "Doctor Who?" bit in the new episode made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I think Moffat's actually very good at single episodes compared to a lot of the other writers. He's incredibly good at setup and payoff, which is what always makes the resolutions to his stories so satisfying. I think he's at his best when writing two-parters -- he has a tendency to cram in far too many radical scene changes and risks tripping over his own feet with the pacing in some single episodes -- but even his craziest 45-minute stories are still pretty solid and well constructed overall, which is even more impressive given how much he's trying to stuff into them.

And I like his tongue-in-cheek nods to the fans. The "Doctor Who?" bit in the new episode made me smile.
    "are you my mummy" is still one of my favorite who memories
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

He's been in lots of random stuff, but you'll see him most notably in the upcoming sequel to Thor as the main villain. Malekith.

can't wait for that, I love Eccleston.
    Oh? well that is good to hear. It is always a bit sad to me that outside Doctor Who the only other association my brain makes with him was as Destro in that GI Joe movie >< I don't know why it was seared there, wish I could forget it... but yea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Oh? well that is good to hear. It is always a bit sad to me that outside Doctor Who the only other association my brain makes with him was as Destro in that GI Joe movie >< I don't know why it was seared there, wish I could forget it... but yea.
    He was on Heroes, which was a good show for a time, and was a Duke in Elizabeth back in the 90s. Other than that most of his roles are relatively low key and unnoticed. I'm actually wondering if the role in Thor will help put him back in some more mainstream works...not that he needs or wants that, but I like seeing good actors get big parts.

Unfortunately in Thor I don't think you'll see his face as he is a dark elf and leaked pictures have his face basically covered by a mask the whole time. You should be able to hear his voice and imagine if that Doctor had gone off the deep end though. Exciting stuff.
    BAD WOLF