Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    The TARDIS not liking Clara would explain why languages weren't being translated for her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    The TARDIS doesn't like Clara!
    Of course, the TARDIS doesn't like a temporal Abomination!

10+ Year Old Account
    So you basically want a corny villain?
    No i want a soul sucking evil god that devours planets and causes anyone that looks at it to burst into flames :P

Also the show has been critiqued for being too sexy..which i kind of agree with after having amy as the companion lol :S

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3031627.html

Of course, the TARDIS doesn't like a temporal Abomination!
    Yeh i think that's the reason , similar to how the tardis tried to shake captain jack off and flew to the end of the universe to try and get him off..it was already shown to be confused by her at the start by showing the doctor all incarnations of her.. I love how the tardis has a personality and opinions, she /it is my favorite character on doctor who <3
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-04-07 at 10:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    No i want a soul sucking evil god that devours planets and causes anyone that looks at it to burst into flames :P
    Well, he really is not a devourer, he is a parasitic god that feeds on memories(the soul). He really reminds me of the angels, they live on what would have been that person potential energy, he almost sounds like to opposite of them. I think not giving him a voice was not bad, you could tell in his facial expressions how it was feeling, you did not need him to have a voice. This is one of the instances of less is more.

I also want to point out it was mentioned( I do not know exactly where) that someone asked if just believing a god (or would-be god) existed could give it powers, and I am not really sure what the doctor answered but this would be on of those cases were it is true.

And I think the doctor wore amy's glasses in that episode?

How can something being too sexy be a bad thing...:P

I also want to point out the tardis does not translate all language, such as the one of the language of the beast, the doctor could not even read it if I rember right. Maybe because it was before time or w/e nonsense.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    And I think the doctor wore amy's glasses in that episode?
    Yes, he was wearing Amy's glasses. He seems to have replaced the Tenth Doctor's black rimmed glasses with Amy's circular brown rimmed ones. It's interesting that The Doctor was so willing to give up all his memories to the old god (because of all the pain he has known) but refuses to give up any meaningful trinket to the dog barking vendor.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    The TARDIS not liking Clara would explain why languages weren't being translated for her.
    She did not like Capt Jack either.
    You cared enough to post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Yes, he was wearing Amy's glasses. He seems to have replaced the Tenth Doctor's black rimmed glasses with Amy's circular brown rimmed ones. It's interesting that The Doctor was so willing to give up all his memories to the old god (because of all the pain he has known) but refuses to give up any meaningful trinket to the dog barking vendor.
    I think he shared his memories, not gave them up. I think the doctor thought he would overload the planet(?) and it would explode but he overestimated it and it did not work. I do not think if it did not work he would have not done it. If this guy ends up reeving somehow he will know w/e he knows and even the answer to the question. Could be interesting.

As for the trinket thing I do not know, maybe he just carries on him what he needs and keeps the things he truly treasures in the tardis. Or maybe he does not think the things he treasures is worth that much, that a human treasuring something is worth more then him treasuring something? Or he could just be simply not wanting to leave any mark that he was there as he tries to stay a mystery. Maybe is just trying to learn about Clara so he let her give a token to learn what she treasures.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    She did not like Capt Jack either.
    She has a personality, when everit/she was in a human body the doctor told her rto send a message to the "pretty one" and she sent it to Rory, while she could have sent it to Amy.

Is any of the Dr. Who books any good?
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-04-08 at 04:10 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Maybe is just trying to learn about Clara so he let her give a token to learn what she treasures.
    I was going to post the same thing. He was definitely trying to learn what she held dear. I suspect he knew that he'd be able to get it back somehow, even if that meant getting something from the TARDIS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I was going to post the same thing. He was definitely trying to learn what she held dear. I suspect he knew that he'd be able to get it back somehow, even if that meant getting something from the TARDIS.
    I wonder how much hovercrafts the tardis is worth?:P

What is the plural form of tardis? tardi?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how much hovercrafts the tardis is worth?:P

What is the plural form of tardis? tardi?
    It would have to be TARDIS's since TARDIS is an acronym.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or maybe he does not think the things he treasures is worth that much, that a human treasuring something is worth more then him treasuring something?
    Considering that the inhabitants can psychically tell how much something is 'worth' based on the feelings we put into it, it is safe to assume that the Doctor doesn't put any of the 'value' into the actual objects. Humans, on the other hand, place far too much value into objects as opposed to the actual memory being 'the thing'.

And honestly, I think it's something that everyone is missing in the nuanced writing. By specifically showing that and then the fact that he was willing to share his entire memories, we should be able to infer that the only things he holds dear are his memories(obviously the TARDIS is a no go, even though he loves her/it...same for the screwdriver). He basically broke down to 'let go' of a little of that, even though he wasn't losing them.

Part of the value of his memories are to keep them to himself, to deal with his own pain. Letting someone else share that at all is monumental.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if this has been posted before but... Looking at http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Old_One it does seems they're making a return, especially with 'the great intelligence' and the god inhabiting the star. Could be wishful thinking though.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

10+ Year Old Account
    TBH t was half expecting c'thun or yoggy to spawn in the episode lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Nope...just a fan of streaming/on demand video services and a huge not fan of cable/sat tv companies. I'm dreaming for a day when channels can be sold piecemeal at discounted rates to compete with streaming services instead of requiring large bundles and huge paywalls for TV. It just doesn't make sense anymore.

For $2 an episode, I 'own' a TV season as it comes out. For non current TV shows, I pay a low price of $9 a month to watch as many of them as I want. Subscription television just doesn't make any sense.
    Yea it's actually something we are discussing a lot right now. One of the sticking points is we always want the best internet wherever we live and often it works out to be cheaper just to get cable too ><

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    p.s. best sig ever Arlee
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Populaire View Post
    I liked the Clara's parents backstory part.

But the rest just seemed so off and disjointed, and it was so rushed it seemed fairly pointless.
    I pretty much agree. Though it didn't help that the first thing I thought when we saw the real baddie was oh gee he looks like a giant jack 'o' lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    i dont think you need to put spoilers for an episode that already aired
    Always a good idea to be safe for a week or two. Just a nicety for people who don't watch things live. Also the episode isn't aired at the same time around the world

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    That's actually what I was thinking on that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted before but... Looking at http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Old_One it does seems they're making a return, especially with 'the great intelligence' and the god inhabiting the star. Could be wishful thinking though.
    If that is the case I hope he won't be the point of EVERY episode >< That'll get boring quick. Also, he wasn't opening himself completly to him. He said there were some memories the thing couldn't have because they were things no one could ever know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yea it's actually something we are discussing a lot right now. One of the sticking points is we always want the best internet wherever we live and often it works out to be cheaper just to get cable too ><
    Have no idea what kind of crazy company you have where you live then, because we have the big ones in the south and they are all very overpriced. Just for internet we are being pillaged. To get a bundle (after the first year false price stops) I can't even imagine how much it goes up to.

Looking at it, it seems like a bundled package for Time Warner with fastest internet and TV with DVR capabilities and the actual channels we watch (like BBC and every other special 'nerd' channel) would cost $200/month. Even at the $100/month starter price I can have Netflix for an entire year or buy 50 episodes of TV shows. I wouldn't even be able to watch 50 hours of TV with cable, so I don't see any way that cable would ever be a better price.

I guess you have much better deals in your area.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Main perk of this is... They can do more Lovecraft-esque stories in ze future!

Moffat being pretty good at grim dark stories, I'd very much like to see him do a fancy new Lovecraft tribute
    In the classic ones I think there was old gody stuff, guess they are finally bringing it up in the new series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I guess you have much better deals in your area.
    Yea I have come to the conclusion that the North East is a very bizarre weird place.

I pay about $200 for UVerse and that's for 12mbps internet, DVR service, HD service 2 boxes and 450 channels including HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, ect. Decent deal IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I pay about $200 for UVerse and that's for 12mbps internet, DVR service, HD service 2 boxes and 450 channels including HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, ect. Decent deal IMO.
    I pay about $80/month for 30mbps, Netflix, free local HD channels, and new episodes of my favorite shows piecemeal(that I get to keep) which are all I would want to watch on TV anyways other than sports which are streamed 1 million different places for free.

I don't see how what you are describing would be a good deal at all(for me).

The only penalty I suffer is that I have to watch Doctor Who on Sunday mornings and Walking Dead on Monday nights. Doctor Who feels good as an adult version of my morning cartoons from a kid though, so that works out for me. But anyways, I think this season is going to be one of the better ones when it is all over. Not just because 50th anniversary, but I think it's going places that will be particularly interesting when we get there.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Main perk of this is... They can do more Lovecraft-esque stories in ze future!

Moffat being pretty good at grim dark stories, I'd very much like to see him do a fancy new Lovecraft tribute
    I like the episodes that center around famous people / events in history, like the van gogh and shakespeare episodes. I would love to see an episode centered around more famous authors like Lovecraft or Asimov.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.