Raid healing Questions.

Hi,

I am currently in a very good guild who does 25 man raids and I am currently trialling for them. I have played Tanks, dps and now I am on a healer, but with tanking or dps I was a very above average player. Now as for healing, althought wotlk was just spam fest, I was good at what I did, however on 25 man raids, I find myself lacking on the meters compared to other healers. Admittly healers to me dont matter but of course a lot of people decide they do and run with them.

An example is Maloriak 25 (N). I was assigned to the range, and so that is what I focused on. I healed the range everytime they needed heals and noone in the ranged died in that encounter. I was behind the other holy priest in the guild who was in the melee and the other healers who were on everyone. In saying that however, I was the lowest on the overhealing meter.

**The following is in general, not based on my guild**

The thought that goes through my mind is;
    a) too many healers for the fight and therefore heals start to become redundant.
    b) The other healers were healing everyone, while i was focusing on range, meaning they have access to more people losing hp?
    c) the other holy priest was on melee, so when he aoe healed group 1, he was also rolling constant renews on the tanks increasing his healing

With tanking, you do it right and people are happy, with Dps pull the most dps you can without dying or standing in fire and people are happy, with healing you have to heal and no stand in stuff but I feel like the person who has the lowest ms, best haste or who has an assignment of people who are taking more damage / everyone in the raid are always higher on the meters. Also I notice that people tend to just do meter pleasing things, i.e The tank healers are plentiful on the tanks, so if you are rolling renews on tanks, you are just using mana that will look good on a meter, rather then focusing on your actual healing job/assignment.

It can be a curse of mine sometimes because I think way too logically. So maybe i need to break this thought pattern but if your given an assignment i.e heal the range, if you focus on the range and heal them so they are full before the next damage mechanic and keep mana effective, does the person who spams there heals on everyone regardless of their assignment and their mana pool is always very low really make them a better healer? My thoughts seem to think if you are more effectively healing your assignment before the next damaging mechanic, staying good on mana, it will allow you to cover things that may go wrong, i.e if a healer dies and you have to take over some more healing, because you have not been healing everyone regardless of your assignment and your low on mana you will be able to do this easily. Whereas if you were healing everyone just to please meters you wouldnt be able too and if something goes wrong, no use cause your low on mana and the like.

Please I would love constructive comments, I might just be too logically minded for healing and have to go back to dps/tank im not sure, but please tell me what you think about what I have said.

Kind regards,

=]

It's hard to say what you're doing wrong, because I wasn't there and I have no logs. I'm not holy atm, but disc; I can give you some advice however.

I'm mostly on tank healing duty. With druids rolling their hots on the tank as well I find myself having a lot of time to heal the raid as well. Maybe you're follow orders a bit too strict? In my opinion, you should always be casting, unless you want to regen mana or noone is taking any damage.

Also: know ing fight mechanics is really nice, precasting PoH helps me getting my numbers up by a lot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Surea View Post
    It's hard to say what you're doing wrong, because I wasn't there and I have no logs. I'm not holy atm, but disc; I can give you some advice however.

I'm mostly on tank healing duty. With druids rolling their hots on the tank as well I find myself having a lot of time to heal the raid as well. Maybe you're follow orders a bit too strict? In my opinion, you should always be casting, unless you want to regen mana or noone is taking any damage.

Also: know ing fight mechanics is really nice, precasting PoH helps me getting my numbers up by a lot as well.
    yer I might have to start doing the precasting PoH thing I can see that would help heaps. Yes maybe I am, this could be an issue also. We just did Chimaeron then and i noticed that heals were going out putting people way over 10k whent hey were just not needed, i was using this time to just regen from the mana consumption that occurs in feud? Is this wrong of me? =/

Thanks for your anticipated help

As I see it, if no-one dies it doesn't matter.

The problem with your thinking is that the "assignments" are equal. If ranged take much less damage than the tank and melee, and you're standing still on 100% mana when the tank dies through lack of healing throughput, then it's clearly your fault (not saying that this happens, just giving an example).

Your way of thinking is pessimistic. You're planning for the worst (Healer dies so you have to do more). Be more optimistic and if you can help outside of your assignment without jeopardising your assigned group, do so. It's a healing team and the other healers will appreciate the odd bit of help if they're struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Niscroc View Post
    yer I might have to start doing the precasting PoH thing I can see that would help heaps. Yes maybe I am, this could be an issue also. We just did Chimaeron then and i noticed that heals were going out putting people way over 10k whent hey were just not needed, i was using this time to just regen from the mana consumption that occurs in feud? Is this wrong of me? =/

Thanks for your anticipated help
    To be honest, I wouldn't look too much at healing numbers on Chimaeron. It's quite easy to win on numbers if you overheal everyone, allthough you have to get everyone up to only 10k during the online phase (except for the soaking tank off course). So Healers can easely "cheat" here if they want to see their numbers up higher.
    So yeah it wasn't wrong of you imo. Healing people up during feud is much more important

Heal meters are pointless for ranking "who's" best by looking strictly at healing done or HPS on a given fight. The point, as someone mentioned earlier, is that no one from your assignment died. If that was accomplished, you win. If your new guild has an issue with your numbers, I'd tell em to go take a hike, as finding people who can dodge fire, keep bars green, and be efficient is hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Heal meters are pointless for ranking "who's" best by looking strictly at healing done or HPS on a given fight. The point, as someone mentioned earlier, is that no one from your assignment died. If that was accomplished, you win. If your new guild has an issue with your numbers, I'd tell em to go take a hike, as finding people who can dodge fire, keep bars green, and be efficient is hard to come by.
    This and...

Without seeing what spells you are using and your raid positioning it's hard to judge. Hopefully your raid leader is smart enough to put range in range groups and melee in melee groups to make things more effective.

And yes having too many healers can be an issue, we typically run with 6 (even on neff) unless is a big AE fight then we will run with 7-8

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    And yes having too many healers can be an issue, we typically run with 6 (even on neff) unless is a big AE fight then we will run with 7-8
    Yeah, the first week or two my guild was running official 25s, we only had 5 healers. On every encounter I posted a top50 WoL, with several top20s, and two top10s.

This week we are trialing a holy priest as a 6th healer. I didn't place at all, but our kills were much, much smoother. Those inflated numbers weren't a direct reflection of my skill [though one could argue an indirect correlation], but a reflection on our sub-optimal healer set up [meaning 5 healers].