Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Embarrassed of WoW?

Are you embarrassed to tell people you play an online role playing game? Is it worse that the game you play is WoW?

If so, let me ask you this...

If you were a multi-millionaire, would you still be embarrassed?

If not, is it WoW you're really embarrassed about?

These are pretty revealing questions, so I'll answer them for myself.
    No, I talk about it freely with people. Yes WoW is worse than other games. And yes, having money (though not millions) DOES make it easier for me. I might not be so confident if I were broke.

I used to be a bit embarrassed, but then I started actually going out and playing sports, started seeing a girl, and now I don't really have any time to play anymore.

Still troll the forums though...

Quote Originally Posted by Rasseim View Post
    I used to be a bit embarrassed, but then I started actually going out and playing sports, started seeing a girl, and now I don't really have any time to play anymore.

grats?

OP: No, not in the slightest. It can actually usually spark some nice discussion, as there's quite a lot of other people who play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Many many people who play wow are afraid to let the public know they play video games, especially WoW.

I am sure that was one of the big reasons why the public didn't like how the old realid system showed IRL full names instead of character names.

I'm not embarrassed though, although I also don't have a life or a job.

not embarrassed at all. it is a game, a form of entertainment and if anyones going to hate on me for something as small as how i choose to entertain myself at home then i don't think they are worth my time at all.
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

its usually not my opening line, but i'm not embarrased to talk about it....all about situation and conversation.
    This pretty much sums up how i feel about this thread

There's a lot of people who play, yes, but i don't publicly profess it nor bring it up at all. It's a hobby, and quite honestly it's not as cool a hobby as some of the other ones I have. I'd probably rank it around 5th or so on my list of things I like to do, but I would hardly classify myself as a gamer anyways, so there's that. Either way, I'm still pretty strict about not letting people know I play, even if it is brought up. No facebook updates, no pictures, no references to stuff, etc.

I do know for a fact that people associate WoW in particular with being a loser of some kind. Yeah, it's an unfair and illogical generalization, but humans are incredibly illogical and no amount of attempted reason is going to change the public outlook of the game. I say you're best off keeping it to friends, be it concerning work or otherwise.

i'm embarassed to tell other gamers i play WoW, since every gamer secretly hates WoW because there are so many better MMO's weve played that simply can't get out of WoW's shadow.

i typically don't hide the fact i play WoW, i do hide the fact i play "hello kitty island adventures" though.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Yeah... I used to let everyone know... and that pretty much killed my social life. High School is a bitch. Eventually I stopped talking about it, and quit the game to have a life. Now if people talk to me about it, I shrug it off and say that I used to play. But yeah, pretty much everyone looks down on it.

Deleted
    I dont really care, but i try to avoid talking about it because i want to avoid all the long and boring wow conversations that goes on and on all day long ><

Quote Originally Posted by Zero infiniti View Post
    its usually not my opening line, but i'm not embarrased to talk about it....all about situation and conversation.
    Pretty much this, I'm not going to introduce myself with the line "Hi my name is... and I play WoW." but if they ask what I do as a hobby or in my spare time I'll tell them. No reason to be embarrassed for playing a game MMO or otherwise. Being embarrassed of playing WoW would be like being embarrassed to play any game on a console, I just don't see a reason why I should be.

Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    I dont really care, but i try to avoid talking about it because i want to avoid all the long and boring wow conversations that goes on and on all day long ><
    OH GAWD I know what you mean. I made the horrible mistake of standing outside gamestop to buy Wrath on release and I got tangled into this conversation of all these people talking about how awesome their characters were, and the new abilities, etc and I just wanted to shoot myself. **God people, can we just get our dose of meth and get the fuck out of here?**

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    OH GAWD I know what you mean. I made the horrible mistake of standing outside gamestop to buy Wrath on release and I got tangled into this conversation of all these people talking about how awesome their characters were, and the new abilities, etc and I just wanted to shoot myself. **God people, can we just get our dose of meth and get the fuck out of here?**
    Same here with Cata, stood there for one hour. A little piece of me died that day x]

thats the great thing about all these online transactions, i get to be a basement dweller and not associate with those "humans." Except at school and everyone who plays WoW mocks me having a broken spec as my main.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    Same here with Cata, stood there for one hour. A little piece of me died that day x]
    yeesh. i actually had to force myself to sound interested in a "LAN party" some guy gave me and my brother a flyer for at the launch of SC2.
    obviously we knew there was no Lan but thats what he still decided to call it....

Not at all. I have been an officer in a raiding guild for many years now and currently the GM. As an officer I have had to take many hard decisions, I have been recruiting, leading people and firing people. Its a nice way of being a manager and you can take stuff out in real life to use. Your people skills should increase and sometimes your patience is really taxed so you need to control yourself ;p All stuff you can use in real life sometimes ;o)

I added the fact that I play wow and that I was an officer in my last resume/job application where I landed my current job. That I was used to leading people in wow showed a general lvl of maturity which was something they could use
    Your sig exceeds the maximum allowed size of 500px wide by 100px high by 50kb. Please see the guidelines for more information.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kinai576 View Post
    Yeah... I used to let everyone know... and that pretty much killed my social life. High School is a bitch. Eventually I stopped talking about it, and quit the game to have a life. Now if people talk to me about it, I shrug it off and say that I used to play. But yeah, pretty much everyone looks down on it.
    Stopped playsing but still on the forums?What a great step up for you!

Yeah I really do not talk about it unless people bring it up.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasseim View Post

Same for me. Except i don't play anymore because i don't like the game. But in 2005, when we first started, most of my group that i have back from highschool played. Some didn't even get past level 30, some played quite seriously, 4-5 of us. So i was a little embarrassed when we went out and talked about it. Not because i was embarrassed of playing, but because we couldn't talk about anything else.
    But i'm pretty proud and happy, as i have made some great friends in game, that i now either maintain a real life contact or if they are away we chat quite alot.

TBH when i tell people I play wow 70% of the time they don't even know what it is. They then ask and I explain, after which I usually do feel embarrassed because the way I describe it makes me seem like a total nerd...but then I remember I am in a social situation outside of WOW and that therefore means I am not a total NERD :P

Few of my RL friends play it and they are still friends with me and know I play it, sure they make fun from time to time, but usually that's my fault: "No Rob I don't want to come out tonight I have a raid on..."

Yes I am a nerd woah be to me

Deleted
    not embarrassed.. usually, the people i know that "frown upon" playing video games are the ones who watch a lot of tv... unfortunately, they dont watch the brainy stuff... those people have nothing to complain about - playing a video game online is even more socially active than doing some other things...

and who cares about being socially active - if someone were to paint (as a hobby, not for a living), no one would complain that they sit for hours alone in their own room doing their own stuff... sure, theyre being creative and whatnot, but still, theyre most likely mainly doing it for entertainment.

imho there is no reason anyone should frown upon someone playing a game, as long as its in moderation and you still have enough time to talk to them, shower, and change your undies :P