Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Addon or Unit Frame Advice?

Hello all,

I am currently healing as two classes, Holy Pally and Disc Priest. As a Holy Pally there aren't many things I need to manage with regards to buffs/debuffs other then what the blizzard unit frames provide. However, on my disc priest I would like to be able to see a timer for divine aegis and grace. As far as I am aware the blizzard raid frames don't show these during combat. Are there any unit frames that will provide this information. I do not like the healbot or grid/clique method as I am currently using mouseover macros which work amazingly. I would like something that actually displays the buff/debuff image similar to the way the current blizzard UI does. Thanks

X-pearl will show all of that stuff (and more if you want it too) and is really easy to set-up/modify.

I use Shadowed Unit Frames since my X-perl was making me laggy and gave me the occasional screen freeze. SuF does pretty much the same thing as Xperl but if you set it up in a minimalistic way it takes up less memory. Also really easy to set up!

Quote Originally Posted by noisemap View Post
    I do not like the healbot or grid/clique method as I am currently using mouseover macros which work amazingly. I would like something that actually displays the buff/debuff image similar to the way the current blizzard UI does. Thanks
    You do realize that both Vuhdo and Grid work just fine with mouseover macros, right? In Vuhdo, there's an option to turn off click binds and you can use normal mouseover macros. With Grid, just don't install Clique and you can use mouseover macros. In either case, even with mouseover macros, I'd highly recommend one of them precisely because they provide so much configurability with display of buffs and debuffs.

I'm also going to encourage you to look at grid and clique again. I use mouseover macros as well and don't have any issues like Zeuq. But with corner icons or side icons you can display the DA timers and Grace stacks easily.

One of the greatest advantages of using Grid, especially when playing disc, is a very nice plugin called GridStatusShield. I use that to display the amount of shield left on each target. I don't know of any other raid frame that has the ability to display the shield value remaining on raid members. When I played disc full time in Wrath, I found in invaluable. It displays the total of PW:S and Divine Aegis, and even displays Illuminated Healing shields. I can tell who has only those because they are relatively small compared to disc priests shields. If other raid frame mods have this ability now that is cool, I just haven't tried them out to see.

P.S. you will need the plugin GridIndicatorCornerText if you want the value displayed in a corner. Here is a old screen shot of my Grid. The value in the upper left corner is the amount of the shield(s) left on a person, and the blue box on the right side indicates Divine Aegis present.

Last edited by Ariahna; 2011-04-12 at 04:55 PM.

X-pearl does show the amount of shield left on the target in the form of a bar added to the person's frame. You can also have x-perl track the ws on targets by which it pops up the icon for ws on the person's frame itself and you can change how transparent the icon is. You can do similar things with Pitbull as well, but I find pitbull is a bit more annoying to set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    X-pearl does show the amount of shield left on the target in the form of a bar added to the person's frame. You can also have x-perl track the ws on targets by which it pops up the icon for ws on the person's frame itself and you can change how transparent the icon is. You can do similar things with Pitbull as well, but I find pitbull is a bit more annoying to set-up.
    I figured some of the other raid frames would have added that eventually so that's great. Does the bar show you a value?

It's been awhile since I have healed so they might have added that, but when I was healing it did not. It more gave you a relative approximation. Like full bar is a full shield, then it would drop to 3/4 of a bar, 1/2, and 1/4 roughly. Depending on how quickly the damage was coming in the bar might drop faster or slower (so if there was a lot of incoming damage from the target it might go from full to 1/4 for example).

I personally liked it better than grid at that time because I respond to visuals at a much quicker pace than I respond to numbers, if that makes sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariahna View Post
    One of the greatest advantages of using Grid, especially when playing disc, is a very nice plugin called GridStatusShield. I use that to display the amount of shield left on each target. I don't know of any other raid frame that has the ability to display the shield value remaining on raid members.
    Vuhdo can do the exactly same thing and without plugin...

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKiller View Post
    Vuhdo can do the exactly same thing and without plugin...
    Does Vuhdo display the value of the shields remaining? If so, that's great. I've been really wanting to try Vuhdo out some time, I am just not looking forward to spending the time setting it up. One of these days though.....

I believe that you can use an option in the default UI to show casted buffs, so you will be able to see divine aegis and the like on the people you have put it on.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used both Vuhdo and Grid and prefer Grid personally. I use the corner and side icons but after reading Ariahna's post I'm going to download and try GridStatusShield tonight.

I use both mouseover macros for any keyboard binds and clique for my mouse binds without issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq View Post
    You do realize that both Vuhdo and Grid work just fine with mouseover macros, right? In Vuhdo, there's an option to turn off click binds and you can use normal mouseover macros. With Grid, just don't install Clique and you can use mouseover macros. In either case, even with mouseover macros, I'd highly recommend one of them precisely because they provide so much configurability with display of buffs and debuffs.
    this. clique+vuhdo is a god-send. i have never had to mess with mouse-over macros - ever. i have healed with every class and have never had an issue. never have to target anyone, never have to worry about seeing health or buffs or debuffs. love it.
    "Yogg keeps sending me tells, and I can't figure out how to put him on ignore.. >=\ "
    "Don't bother, he'll just make another toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Mikayo View Post
    I've used both Vuhdo and Grid and prefer Grid personally. I use the corner and side icons but after reading Ariahna's post I'm going to download and try GridStatusShield tonight.
    As much as you play disc, you are going to love it. It updates real time as well. I know other frames can show PW:S and WS debuffs, and maybe the approximate amount left of your PW:S, I just have never seen anything else be able to give you real time info on remaining absorbs left on each raid member.

For those that don't know why that is useful, here's a common scenario. You have two tanks with aggro. Both have a PW:Shield on them but no WS. With this grid plugin, I could easily see which one has the less total absorbs remaining (DA, IH + PW:S) and know who to shield first, and who can possibly wait. Obviously if I can see that one tank has 1k absorbs left versus the other one having 30k I know who to shield immediately and who can wait so I don't waste mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariahna View Post
    Does Vuhdo display the value of the shields remaining? If so, that's great. I've been really wanting to try Vuhdo out some time, I am just not looking forward to spending the time setting it up. One of these days though.....
    Yes, Vuhdo has this functionality. Admittedly, I haven't played with it in a while since I loathe Disc and as Holy I only really care for emergencies or B&S. However, I know there's a default bouquet for it, and I'd be surprised if it couldn't be modified to show a number rather than a the indicator. If I remember, I'll poke around with it in the raid tonight.

I would greatly appreciate an update on that Zeuq. I try to follow this sort of stuff, but I don't play disc enough these days to make it a high priority. I know the author of Vuhdo is a member at Plusheal.com and someone asked him about adding functionality like GridStatusShields in January of this year but I didn't see anything after him saying he would look into it.

http://www.plusheal.com/viewtopic.ph...f19&start=2160

Something I felt like mentioning about Vuhdo (don't know if the other addons do this as well). Vuhdo allows me to catagorize everyone by spec. So instead of having it showing as Group1, Group2, ..., Group8, or just one big blob of bars, I have them grouping in panels with headers such as Melee-Tank, Melee-DPS, Ranged-DPS, Ranged-Heal, and Pets. I have not healed as a disc priest (yet) so I cannot comment on whether it displays an amount left to absorb or not. I will ask our raid healer who prefers playing as disc and uses Vuhdo and ask about it and get back to you later about it.
    The Affliction warlock laughs while they are dead.
    The Destruction warlock laughs while they are on fire.
    The Demonology warlock laughs while they are stunned.

Honestly if you're serious about raiding I wouldn't touch anything outside of grid, the customizability of it is simply amazing, albeit it does take sometime to setup but it's worth it.
    Armory and ranks

Armory
    Ranks
    pov

Quote Originally Posted by LazyOne View Post
    Something I felt like mentioning about Vuhdo (don't know if the other addons do this as well). Vuhdo allows me to catagorize everyone by spec. So instead of having it showing as Group1, Group2, ..., Group8, or just one big blob of bars, I have them grouping in panels with headers such as Melee-Tank, Melee-DPS, Ranged-DPS, Ranged-Heal, and Pets. I have not healed as a disc priest (yet) so I cannot comment on whether it displays an amount left to absorb or not. I will ask our raid healer who prefers playing as disc and uses Vuhdo and ask about it and get back to you later about it.
    What if you're assigned to heal group 2 though?

Anyway, surely your raid leader organises the groups into Groups 1 & 2 Melee, Group 3 Healers, Groups 4 & 5 Ranged? Or something similar...

OT: Grid + Mouseover macros has always been my weapon of choice, very easy and effective.

Deleted
    I'm using round icon in Vuhdo...piece of round disappear each time if shield absorb something

screenshot:

other things like renew and PoM you can display timer/stacks on icon + you can make boquet for Tank CD's