Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ideas for underwater raid / boss fight?

Since cataclysm has a whole zone underwater i would expect a raid or at least one boss fight involving underwater combat.

What are your ideas?

How would you design a fight involving underwater combat?

It would be cool and also really hard to do in a way that wouldn't be super annoying... I mean people already hate on Vash for being underwater and they did a lot to make being underwater not such a pita.

i love being underwater in Vash. What you talkin about Wilis

Yeah alot of players do think it is annoying but i personally enjoyed vash and the way it was designed.

Being underwater opens up new dimensions to the fight. Instead of running around on an x,y plane, you get to use x,y, and z.

Movement in 3 dimensions can make room for creative new boss mechanics and new exciting scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidd06 View Post
    i love being underwater in Vash. What you talkin about Wilis
    I liked to too... but there were a whole lot of people who posted about it being awful in the general forums

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate swimming but if its a small part like for example The Lurker in SSC that would be nice ^w^ Not something that we HAVE to swim in =P

PS, I hated Vashj'iir so much xD
    ''Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack'' -Sun Tzu

Vas'jir was interesting at first, but I don't care to go back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrate View Post

Vas'jir was interesting at first, but I don't care to go back.
    OMG, cannot stop laughing, great pic expressing how some feel about Vashj'ir.

on topic: would be interesting, but it would be really annoying to do a fight in 3D. I know I could not do it.
    ~ My mounts collection ~

~ Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ~
    Thanks Elyaan for the signature!

People like fighting kael'thas right?

maybe during the first phase of the fight the room would be dry.

then in phase 2 the room fills with water allowing access to platforms above so when the room drains again
    you could use these platforms for casters or to avoid some kind of boss mechanics

Go do Throne of Tides again. Watch what happens when you "kill" Ozruk.

He runs away.

You know there's gonna be a Vash'jir raid featuring Ozruk and probably another old god.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyankha View Post
    OMG, cannot stop laughing, great pic expressing how some feel about Vashj'ir.

on topic: would be interesting, but it would be really annoying to do a fight in 3D. I know I could not do it.
    Al'akir is a fight in 3D. It's a rough fight, but I guess Blizz could add something like that except in water, not air.

The most important thing for an underwater fight would be zero access to water bubbles, underwater breathing buffs, etc. It would be a dps race to win before you drown.

Undead ftw.

TWO WORDS: Bubble mechanics

Deleted
    As for me i hated Vashj'ir,(I know most of the ppl loved it.) gave me a headache to just get the right directions. Spending 3-5 hours a night in a place like that would be a nightmare for me, and im sure im not the only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Vashjir as a zone was pretty and unique. I enjoyed the "swimming" phases on Kael'thas in both TK and MrT. And I am interested in raid encounters that introduce truly new and unique mechanics and environments

However.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate water combat. Sea Legs doesn't go far enough. In fact, to go far enough, you need to drain that MFing water and make it LAND.

Water movement is disorienting, depth perception is all screwy, fine positioning is difficult, and it gives a lot of players simulator sickness.

I can't think of anything that would be more torturous and painful in-game than having to spend hours and hours in that environment while my raid learns such an encounter.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banos View Post
    Al'akir is a fight in 3D. It's a rough fight, but I guess Blizz could add something like that except in water, not air.
    Yeah, sadly we got him just to 2nd phase and that's it, never visited him again for a while.
    ~ My mounts collection ~

~ Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ~
    Thanks Elyaan for the signature!

I've always wanted a time based raid. So - start in a raid in a temple under the sea. Looks like a normal Raid, however it slowly starts to flood with water. Wipe on trash - water still rises. Kill boss and next lvl is dry and slowly starts to flood again. Wipe on a boss, water still rises. You would have to have bubbles for air etc. Also make all water breathing spells, flasks etc NOT work in the instance. You could have some interesting changes in fight designs from dry on the ground fights to fully flooded '3d' type of fights with stuff coming from all directions.

Maybe heroic mode could be fully flooded from start to finish.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

Cerebrate's picture said it best. DO NOT WANT! I hate Vashjir with a passion and I only go there to get the Earthen Ring tabard and rep rewards and the mount on my 85's. Otherwise I avoid that place like the plague. I would never participate in an underwater raid even if it dropped all BiS for all my characters and Blizz paid me to.

I had to read this twice. I saw Underwear fight, and wondered where this thread went as far as the realm of drawer raiding went.

Edit - I have nothing constructive to add here
    Last edited by Expectations; 2011-04-08 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Addition

[18:23:11] [Nifredil] confesses: I once punched a gnome. No reason. I was just having a bad day.