Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Personally that's an even worse solution, they really need to learn how to fucking design bosses instead of using retarded things like defiance.
    I think all bosses / champs should be immune to all CC in general. Works in other MMOs, don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Interrupting is kinda meh in GW2 since we don't have enemy cast bars or even proper wind-up animations, would take a lot of development to solve this.

The risen giants in Orr are quite well done I think; they are big enough so you can see their animations, and their attacks all have proper wind-ups that you can react to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    it builds up from 0, so every cc ability used will build up defiance up to a certain amount (scales, depends on how many people are around) and then the cc skills remove a stack of defiance each use until 0, then it builds up again

at least that is how I understand it. It's a shitty system and one that is a short cut by the devs due to not enough development time or they couldn't think of anything else or whatever. It is one the of main reasons why berserker builds are the most effective in pve
    Hmmm, I could be totally be mistaken but this is how I understand it to work.

Let's Bunny FooFoo is a boss who can have a max of 10 stacks of defiance. Bunny FooFoo starts with 10 stacks and each cc he is hit with removes one stack (hence it takes 10 CCs to remove all stacks). The 11th CC he is hit with will affect Bunny FooFoo, and then the stacks immediately start over at 10. So the 12th CC would reduce it to 9 stacks of defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I think all bosses / champs should be immune to all CC in general. Works in other MMOs, don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Interrupting is kinda meh in GW2 since we don't have enemy cast bars or even proper wind-up animations, would take a lot of development to solve this.

The risen giants in Orr are quite well done I think; they are big enough so you can see their animations, and their attacks all have proper wind-ups that you can react to.
    Don't forget Treants (oakhearts, etc), their attacks are properly telegraphed and easy to see. They make great Daily Interrupter targets

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post

Let's Bunny FooFoo is a boss who can have a max of 10 stacks of defiance. Bunny FooFoo starts with 10 stacks and each cc he is hit with removes one stack (hence it takes 10 CCs to remove all stacks). The 11th CC he is hit with will affect Bunny FooFoo, and then the stacks immediately start over at 10. So the 12th CC would reduce it to 9 stacks of defiance.
    could be, the whole system is fubar as far as I'm concerned

- - - Updated - - -

really rather disappointed in this upcoming feature pack, it's like they are just taking everything from the chinese client and putting it into this version, in addition they are making it mostly for new players and dumbing it down in the process. Do people really need a "quest" pointer for this game? for crying out loud

will there be anything here for the veteran players? you know, the people who have been supporting the game all of this time

The CC system in PVE is contradictory of game design.

When game players misuse "clunky" they should be leveraging the term on aspects of gameplay such GW2's CC system in PVE. Which would be more accurate to the gameplay and demonstrative of the only non-programming errors possible in the design of video games; contradictory or disharmonious rules of operation.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-08-28 at 05:17 PM.

Starts at 0, always does. Then the first hit brings it up to level (in dungeons it's 5), meaning the level +1th CC will actually hit.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Tomorrow's Ready Up will cover the upcoming World vs World Fall Tournament, updates to recent competitive events and upcoming changes to the guardian and necromancer professions.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/ready-up-episode-21/
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    really rather disappointed in this upcoming feature pack, it's like they are just taking everything from the chinese client and putting it into this version, in addition they are making it mostly for new players and dumbing it down in the process. Do people really need a "quest" pointer for this game? for crying out loud

will there be anything here for the veteran players? you know, the people who have been supporting the game all of this time
    Me too.
    It's pretty clear they really want to attract brand new players (aka new to mmo players). I know a few that belong in this category and it is true they really need those guides. They don't 'get it' themselves. However, those people are rarely permanent players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbleed View Post
    Me too.
    It's pretty clear they really want to attract brand new players (aka new to mmo players). I know a few that belong in this category and it is true they really need those guides. They don't 'get it' themselves. However, those people are rarely permanent players.

::thinks back to the days when I was a brand new MMO player and didn't know my way out of a paper bag, much less what a skill rotation was::

And here I am, how many happy years later

We all were new to MMO players at least once, Silverbleed.
    Valar morghulis

Do people really need a "quest" pointer for this game? for crying out loud
    There probably are a lot of people who do need a quest pointer. It is a common method of game direction across many genres.

GW2 also aims at a mass market. So it's unreasonable to be miffed GW2 is being "dumbed down" when it is the goal of the game to be as broadly appealing as possible within the it's framework.

I think it is more interesting that Anet would capitulate to this type of design for an MMO. I know recently Path of Exile added concessions to what was pitched as a "hardcore players only" design mentality. So it is likely an inevitability of the market at some point from a finance POV.

Just look at the amount and frequency of misunderstanding re:GW2 we still see on these forums alone almost 2 years after release. People still asking about trial version, pay to win, endgame, where to level, the distinction between hearts and DEs, Living Story, "what to do at max level", etc.

People still do not understand these things or lack knowledge regarding modes and systems of play within GW2.

why do we need a quest pointer, Fencers? you basically have said that people are stupid, can't we just let Darwin sort it out? even in a video game?

Deleted

(I actually think it's just a hidden move against the keyfarmers)

@Karizee: Yeah I know, but we belong in the group that 'get it'.

I had to explain how a profession works to a friend of mine, last week.
    How it works.
    What traits are.
    What a build is.
    She didn't know she could use different weapons on different professions.

She's level 80.

At least she tries, but it's like mathematics to her.

@Karizee: Yeah I know, but we belong in the group that 'get it'.

I had to explain how a profession works to a friend of mine, last week.
    How it works.
    What traits are.
    What a build is.
    She didn't know she could use different weapons on different professions.

She's level 80.

there needs to be a hard mode GW2 like there was in GW1. I mean if someone can reach level 80 without knowing any of those things then the game is far too easy

It's pretty clear they really want to attract brand new players (aka new to mmo players).
    This quote from the new update:
    "As we continue to grow Guild Wars 2 and plan our next steps for the future of the game, it’s important we have a solid foundation for all the new players we plan to welcome in the future as well as players who return after long breaks from our game."

It left me wondering if they're planning something BIG (expac or such) that would bring in an influx of folks. But, I mean, it's Anet, so it could just be delusional wishful thinking...

"We made guilds cross-server now, that should give us tons of new players!"

- - - Updated - - -

there needs to be a hard mode GW2 like there was in GW1. I mean if someone can reach level 80 without knowing any of those things then the game is far too easy
    I don't remember the actual quote, I'm sure someone will correct me, but it was something like "in GW1, 40% of players never knew they could assign traits and just had the powers as the autofilled into their UI".

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

I don't remember the actual quote, I'm sure someone will correct me, but it was something like "in GW1, 40% of players never knew they could assign traits and just had the powers as the autofilled into their UI".
    wouldn't surprise me. I mean you could just use the standard PvX team builds for your heroes and then basically let the game play for you except for a few encounters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    This quote from the new update:
    "As we continue to grow Guild Wars 2 and plan our next steps for the future of the game, it’s important we have a solid foundation for all the new players we plan to welcome in the future as well as players who return after long breaks from our game."

It left me wondering if they're planning something BIG (expac or such) that would bring in an influx of folks. But, I mean, it's Anet, so it could just be delusional wishful thinking...

"We made guilds cross-server now, that should give us tons of new players!"

No doubt in my mind that a Free Trial system is incoming, it was datamined not too long ago. And of course there will be something big, they keep telling us about the big projects they are working on.

This explains all the doomsayers that have come out of the woodwork, people we haven't seen since launch ;-)
    Valar morghulis

That was the first thing I thought of, but I'm not sure it will adversely affect keyfarming at all.

That was the first thing I thought of, but I'm not sure it will adversely affect keyfarming at all.
    Well, it depends on exactly how the changes apply. When will the Chapter 1 (~level 2-10) PS unlock? PS rewards are being reworked; is that going to impact the level 10 PS key reward? Either or both of those changes could affect keyfarming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

why do we need a quest pointer, Fencers? you basically have said that people are stupid, can't we just let Darwin sort it out? even in a video game?
    I did not say people are stupid at all.

It is very possible for one to simply not know some aspects of a video game through no fault of their own. Ignorance is not an insult. Sometimes we don't know how something works.

Perhaps through poor game communication, unfocused design, ease of play, emphasis, disengagement, casual play, intensely focused play or lack of initiative outside the game play parameters one can come to not understand fully all aspects of a given video game.

This is not people being stupid. It is the game being unclear. Games are fundamentally about the structure of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Well, it depends on exactly how the changes apply. When will the Chapter 1 (~level 2-10) PS unlock? PS rewards are being reworked; is that going to impact the level 10 PS key reward? Either or both of those changes could affect keyfarming.
    They had better not mess with my keyfarming. I refuse to be over level 4 when I get my key!
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.