Poll: Your instrument is:

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Music] Instrument

I was wondering how many of you are playing an instrument and how did you learn it? Is it hard or fairly easy to get the basics of it? Is it an expensive hobby of yours?

Disclaimer: Guitar Hero or anything of that kind is not an instrument!
    Last edited by mmoc07b172f625; 2011-05-18 at 06:47 PM.

Deleted
    I can play flute, piano, guitar(and bass but anyone can do that) and drums.

Drums is the only one I found difficult to start with, my body just didnt go together.

I have played the flute since 4th grade... started in a school band program then got private lessons. There are cheap flutes which will work for most things though. Lessons are not cheap. It came fairly easily to me, but as with anything you get out of it what you put into it, and even if you don't have natural talent you can still get really good; you just have to work harder at it.

I also play Piano, Tuba, and Alto Sax. Costs depend a lot on what you want to play.

I "play" a mandolin
    twenty-four hour skeleton power

Started Viola, moved to guitar and played Trumpet/French Horn in high school (honor band yay).

Deleted
    Piano, baby!
    Very easy to get the basics, gets alot harder after that

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played guitar and drums for over 10 years.

Guitar is a lot of coordination between your hands which may limit some people and make them say it's hard to play.

Drums, well i've always had natural rhythym so they kinda are like second nature to me. Again, coordination comes into play...especially with a double bass setup like i've got.

Technically nothing is "hard" just gotta do it enough to become good.
    "Ok, fuck it, I lied. It's drum and bass."

Deleted
    I play drums, violin and trying to learn Hurdy Gurdy.

Ehhhh, I still think there are varying degrees of difficulty. I'm currently trying to learn this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfZVflJdp0

And having not been accustomed to using all five fingers with my right hand it's proven to be, bar none, the hardest song I've ever attempted. I was able to play more technical stuff on the Trumpet than I can on the acoustic guitar, because it was easier. I don't mean to knock on trumpet players or anything, because there's some jazz trumpet player out there who could make a complete foll out of me, but I've found guitar to be much more difficult with the technical stuff.

Pretty much puts any electric guitar shredding to shame, too.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-05-18 at 08:20 PM.

Ive been playing bass and guitar for around 13 years now
    Obviously Blizzard needs to hire more Pirates to counter the growing Ninja threat.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    (and bass but anyone can do that)
    HERETIC!!11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioVmqlt2Fk

Try it then come back with such a BS
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm learning to play the guitar. Is it expensive? Not for me... it might be if my dad didn't have 3 guitars I can use and can teach me how to play. I can play one part of one song on the piano... so that doesn't count but I would like to learn how to really play. It also wouldn't cost much, my mom has a piano. drums are something else that I would like to learn how to play. And they would cost some money, due to the fact that I don't (nor anyone in my family) own a set i could use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Try it then come back with such a BS
    I would but you know...It still wouldnt be that hard and I have no intention of playing instruments today. In your average 4-piece band, its the easiest to play, so easy that people do it in my school just for an easy pass.

I would but you know...It still wouldnt be that hard and I have no intention of playing instruments today. In your average 4-piece band, its the easiest to play, so easy that people do it in my school just for an easy pass.
    That doesn't mean anything. I can be in a "band" and play nothing but three chords Green Day style, but that doesn't mean guitar is suddenly easy.

I think you need a tab to differentiate between Percussion, and Drum Set, I know many people that can play drum set, but not maybe people that know what a Shirley Murphey is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1519 View Post
    I think you need a tab to differentiate between Percussion, and Drum Set, I know many people that can play drum set, but not maybe people that know what a Shirley Murphey is.
    This post made me remember I also have played Timpani Which is harder than you might think. Counting the right number of rests while tuning the timpani to a different note in the middle of a piece... well it is easy to get lost lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play euphonium, tuba, and trombone. I'm also a school band director.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    That doesn't mean anything. I can be in a "band" and play nothing but three chords Green Day style, but that doesn't mean guitar is suddenly easy.
    but bass guitar has always been easy, no suddenly about it ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the accordion when I was in 5th and 6th grade, mostly because my uncle was paying for the lessons.

I played a baritone/euphonium (it's at the same level as the trombone on brass) in middle school, but didn't want to join marching band in high school. I loathe marching band music.

Then I didn't play anything up until the end of junior year, where I picked up guitar. Have been playing that since then, aside from my 2 1/2 year break due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Also picked up bass not too long after. A friend's band needed a bassist, so they wanted me to play for them.

In college, I decided to take music theory along with a piano class. I was the best one of my class, but my carpal tunnel got so bad that I was forced to quit. Such a shame too, I always wanted to learn to play the piano at an advanced level, but it's never going to happen unless I get surgery. :<

Maybe if all you play is modern rock/pop-punk or just play boring bass lines. Bass can be technical as fuck. >.>
    Last edited by MintJam; 2011-05-18 at 08:52 PM.

No, it hasn't. It's been easy if you play easy things on it, just like every single instrument out there. How do you not understand this?