Help me beat a rogue!

I have been raiding consistently for awhile and i dont feel my dps is doing all too well... Im usually the lowest or second lowest dps in our 10 mans. Im trying to beat my friend who is a rogue. hes pretty much the average dps in our raid pulling 3rd top. Any advice on gear, enchants, gems, reforging? us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wildhammer/Azaes/advanced just copy paste the link please im new so it wont let me link

I'm no expert on priests, but you reforged into spirit along with having a half spirit gem which isn't helpful at all for dps, you also have 7 unenchanted items and a missing belt buckle, and therefore gem, which will be a HUGE dps boost. Other then that you look ok. So don't get spirit if you can avoid it (reforge out of it, not in) and check out http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t112651-...est_cataclysm/ for stat priorities and all that good stuff. Good luck beating your friend

Go to elitist jerks and read up on your class, also talking to the top shadow priest on the server. They normally arent too proud not to help someone!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethias View Post
    I'm no expert on priests, but you reforged into spirit along with having a half spirit gem which isn't helpful at all for dps, you also have 7 unenchanted items and a missing belt buckle, and therefore gem, which will be a HUGE dps boost. Other then that you look ok. So don't get spirit if you can avoid it (reforge out of it, not in) and check out http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t112651-...est_cataclysm/ for stat priorities and all that good stuff. Good luck beating your friend
    Ignore this kid. Spirit for shadow priests converts to hit rating. Right now you're about 1% short. Last time I checked for shadow being within .5-1% of the 17% cap was doable but 17% without going far over is the goal. Some problems I see. One you're meta is the healing meta. You should be using the 54 intellect +3% spell critical damage. You should be putting +40 intellect gems in every socket unless 1.) You need more hit. In which case put 20 int/20 spirit gems into blue sockets. or 2.) The socket bonus gives 20 or more intellect. If neither of these conditions are met just stick a red 40 intellect and ignore the bonus. Other problems: You're missing a belt buckle. Nothing is enchanted. You're missing a load of stats just from enchanting all your pieces. You don't have to have the best of everything but with crystal prices in the toilet theres really no reason not to. Especially your weapon. Hurricane at least but ideally Power Torrent. Those enchants will be a big difference in your dps.

Without seeing your rotation thats the best I can do.
    Last edited by Superpyro; 2011-07-05 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superpyro View Post
    Ignore this kid. Spirit for shadow priests converts to hit rating. Right now you're about 1% short. Last time I checked for shadow being within .5-1% of the 17% cap was doable but 17% without going far over is the goal. Some problems I see. One you're meta is the healing meta. You should be using the 54 intellect +3% spell critical damage. You should be putting +40 intellect gems in every socket unless 1.) You need more hit. In which case put 20 int/20 spirit gems into blue sockets. or 2.) The socket bonus gives 20 or more intellect. If either of these conditions are met just stick a red 40 intellect and ignore the bonus. Other problems: You're missing a belt buckle. Nothing is enchanted. You're missing a load of stats just from enchanting all your pieces. You don't have to have the best of everything but with crystal prices in the toilet theres really no reason not to. Especially your weapon. Hurricane at least but ideally Power Torrent. Those enchants will be a big difference in your dps.

Without seeing your rotation thats the best I can do.
    As i said, i don't really know anything about priests. So in the case that spirit does give hit, then i take back what i said and that should be a very good stat

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    topping meters as a Spriest has always been tough. researching your class here:

elitistjerks.com/f77/t112651-shadow_priest_cataclysm

will help out a lot. correct gemming and rotation are key.

but good luck beating a rogue. they've consistantly be topping charts as long as i remember.

but happy hunting and good luck!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    As i said, i don't really know anything about priests. So in the case that spirit does give hit, then i take back what i said and that should be a very good stat
    Then don't give advice on what you don't know? You essentially told him not to hit cap which is dps 101. If you don't know what you're talking about or don't want to take the time to double check yourself then just don't talk.

Um get enchanted... in general we only use the orange gems in sockets where you need a yellow gem and the socket bonus is +20 int... otherwise just use +40 int gems. Basically in the slots you aren't doing this you are depriving yourself of int... and since it is a primary stat you really shouldn't do that. Get a belt buckle and toss a +40 int gem in there. Change your meta gem to Burning Shadowspirit Diamond. For more info read Kilee Shadow Priest Guide.

Being under hit cap is fine as long as you can deal with it, try Priest Hit Cap FAQ to help with that.

Also, smart MF clipping can really help as well. This thread might be able to help you with that some.
    The last thing is if no one in your raids is uploading to World of Logs start doing this yourself. "Most" of the time low performance by shadow priests is due to having DoT uptimes of less than 80% and World of Logs is the easiest way to find that out.

Coincidentally, when I first saw this topic, I thought "Must be someone complaining about a rogue in PvP, putting my money on a priest!", so I guess I was half right!

Joking aside, it's the small things that add up. Those missing enchants and missing belt buckle are free(in a sense) dps. Before you start comparing yourself with others dps wise, remember it's your job as a raider to be up to date with the best enchants and the like to maximize your performance.

What kind of rogue is it? If he's assassination, i recommend Leap of Faith after he uses Vanish. Also what everyone above me said

Spirit = Hit. Int/Spirit gems are usually 50% of the cost of Int/Hit gems, or less.

Then don't give advice on what you don't know? You essentially told him not to hit cap which is dps 101. If you don't know what you're talking about or don't want to take the time to double check yourself then just don't talk.
    I was just going off what i know about locks and mages who don't use spirit. And i said that couldn't be sure about my advice before even giving it. So just chill a bit

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    What kind of rogue is it? If he's assassination, i recommend Leap of Faith after he uses Vanish.
    Er...what would pulling someone else to you do when a Rogue vanishes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by TehN00b View Post
    topping meters as a Spriest has always been tough. researching your class here:

elitistjerks.com/f77/t112651-shadow_priest_cataclysm

will help out a lot. correct gemming and rotation are key.

but good luck beating a rogue. they've consistantly be topping charts as long as i remember.

but happy hunting and good luck!
    Topping the charts as an spriest has been tough in Cata? Clearly, someone from EJ likes to advertise with BS...

Everyone since this idiot has given plenty of good advice. Redo your gems, get some enchants (pug a bunch of dungeons for the greens and get someone to DE them if you need mats and can't afford them). Get Hurricane on your weapon if you can't afford PT.

Arlee (Post #8) gave some excellent links to threads on this forum that can help you go over your gear and priorities to see what you've been doing right/wrong. Another way for us to help you would be if you have a link to your guild's WoL. That gives us a lot more info, particularly about uptime on DoTs and procs, to advise you on how to improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Er...what would pulling someone else to you do when a Rogue vanishes?
    He's saying to pull the rogue to you, out of melee range. The rogue is vanishing to get an energy regen buff, so if you pull him off the boss at that point, he'll be losing a lot of dps.

Also, get one of the pallys to use hand of protection on the rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshiva
    The fact remains that you FUCKING FAIL.

Deleted
    and if u dont have anything usefull to say, as the person u replied to clarified himself, dont post!

What kind of rogue is it? If he's assassination, i recommend Leap of Faith after he uses Vanish. Also what everyone above me said
    Don't ever do this. It'll ruin his DPS sure, but it'll also hurt the raid, especially on progression boss fights.

lol messed up. Use your Leap of Faith on the rogue every CD... even if you have no reason to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gobtol View Post
    He's saying to pull the rogue to you, out of melee range. The rogue is vanishing to get an energy regen buff, so if you pull him off the boss at that point, he'll be losing a lot of dps.

Also, get one of the pallys to use hand of protection on the rogue.

Yeah great idea. Instead of improving your gear and gameplay (benefitting the entire raid), you should hinder the rogue (hurting the entire raid), so that your dps doesn't look as bad.

Little things matter, gems/enchants, always, always, always, always cap your hit. Always.

Stop clicking and keyboard turning if you do that. Getting in the habit of using as many keybinds as possible to be efficient is best. Get your timing down, know when you can get optimal damage in, and when you can't.

Besides doing the best dps doesn't matter, your class has some utility, which can be clutch, giving your class more depth + disirability.

Thanks all! its really nice to find a place you can post without getting the regular "L2PNUB" response. Im working on getting my enchants and ive already seen my dps jump. And from what ive read once im hit capped i should reforge everything into haste? Anyways thanks a ton.