10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    k. I'll keep an eye on this thread then thanks for quick answers.
    Lots of stuff here and here.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Right there, you're passively implying I'm stupid, because I've over generalized something and then forgot about it. I'm really tired, and I'm always losing my train of thought.
    I'm not sure how calling you out on taking what I said out of context and then using it to try and assert that I support ninja looters and bad behavior, then generally telling me exactly what I think or feel about a game is in any way passively implying that you are stupid. Fruedian slip maybe?

It's indirectly telling you to not put words in my mouth nor to assume my own opinions for myself. I would suggest not being so defensive at getting called out for jumping to conclusions and the fact that wanting to be Player Police isn't productive for a video game at all.

Moving on to not derail the thread any further.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'm not sure how calling you out on taking what I said out of context and then using it to try and assert that I support ninja looters and bad behavior, then generally telling me exactly what I think or feel about a game is in any way passively implying that you are stupid. Fruedian slip maybe?

It's indirectly telling you to not put words in my mouth nor to assume my own opinions for myself. Moving on to not derail the thread any further. I would suggest not being so defensive at getting called out for jumping to conclusions and the fact that wanting to be Player Police isn't productive for a video game at all.
    Dude, you're not smart. You're covering your entire biased context with a blanket of semi-intellectual, semi-eloquent punches below the belt whenever you get the chance. People see through you. If anyone is constantly trying to bite others throats out for not agreeing with you, it's you. You might not write the insult, you insinuate the insults, constantly. To be honest, I'm really in favour of you stopping what SJ told us all to stop with a few pages back. Ok ? So stop focussing on the man, focus on the argument at hand.

Moving on to not derail the thread any further than I already have
    Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-05-28 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

It's indirectly telling you to not put words in my mouth nor to assume my own opinions for myself. I would suggest not being so defensive at getting called out for jumping to conclusions and the fact that wanting to be Player Police isn't productive for a video game at all.

Moving on to not derail the thread any further.
    But it had nothing to do with the other parts of the argument, I've just said "I've never said that" , that shouldn't change how the the argument would've continued, you've just jumped on me because I was wrong on that small point.

Guys, please refrain from calling each other names. If you think someone is insulting you report the post and move on instead of derailing the thread with your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    I highly doubt that there will ever be any kind of movie, much less one that appears in theaters, based off of this game.
    Fans might make one if they do something like steam did with TF2s thing
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Hrm. It sure doesn't sound like you've read a lot about the game. Maybe watch the 100 videos about the game and really think about what you're seeing.

Very tired of hearing the term 'WoW clone' attached to games that have hotkey combat and elements of pretty much the RPG and Fantasy game genre. (quests, mounts, raiding, dungeons, etc were not invented by Blizzard and are present back to TTGs and MUDS...not to mention literature and works of art predating those concepts.

It's like saying that cars are total bicycle clones because they both have seats and wheels and you can ride them places. It's ridiculous.
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I was at work.

I'm not using the term WoW clone because the game has dungeons or hotkeys, which is pretty much a given in the genre (it would be pretty much like calling any RTS that is played with a mouse and involves building a base a Dune clone). The first aspect of Wildstar that from moment one that screams WoW is the visual presentation. There is so much about that is similar to WoW: character models, zones ( for example Deradune = grassy plains with baobabs and big crystals = Nagrand), architecture, even how the oversized swords are designed are really reminiscent of WoW.

Many races are based on the same stereotypes as WoW races. For examples Granok are the new Orcs (badass, proud warriors with oversized arms who lost their homeworld). Cassians are the carbon copy of Blood elves, minus the pointy ears. The gremlin-like race are the new gnomes/goblins. Undeads are well, undeads... Maybe this things are just coincidences, but it's like everything in the presentation and "feel" of Wildstar is made on purpose to associate it with WoW.

Also when you look at Wildstar from a gameplay point of view, it has all the noteworthy, generally positively regarded features WoW has introduced up to WotLK (except maybe for flying mounts, but they have their opposition too). There are also many features WoW doesn't have like warplots, paths, action combat, player housing etc, but except for paths all those features we have already seen in other mmos. It's again the same thing WoW did, take the best of your predecessors, while trying to avoid things that might turn off some people from the game and then polish it as much as you can. There is nothing wrong with that, actually if they manage to pull it off Wildstar will be the new best mmo out there and I will gladly spend my money on it and pester my friends to do the same, but I will still see it as a WoW clone, or as a spiritual successor if you will, that switched out the things that feel old and stale in WoW with more modern concepts from other mmos and that many decisions seems to be done on purpose to attract the WoW crowd, especially the nostalgic so called "old school", "hardcore" part of the WoW crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by senkyen View Post

I'm not using the term WoW clone because the game has dungeons or hotkeys, which is pretty much a given in the genre (it would be pretty much like calling any RTS that is played with a mouse and involves building a base a Dune clone). The first aspect of Wildstar that from moment one that screams WoW is the visual presentation. There is so much about that is similar to WoW: character models, zones ( for example Deradune = grassy plains with baobabs and big crystals = Nagrand), architecture, even how the oversized swords are designed are really reminiscent of WoW.

Many races are based on the same stereotypes as WoW races. For examples Granok are the new Orcs (badass, proud warriors with oversized arms who lost their homeworld). Cassians are the carbon copy of Blood elves, minus the pointy ears. The gremlin-like race are the new gnomes/goblins. Undeads are well, undeads... Maybe this things are just coincidences, but it's like everything in the presentation and "feel" of Wildstar is made on purpose to associate it with WoW.

Also when you look at Wildstar from a gameplay point of view, it has all the noteworthy, generally positively regarded features WoW has introduced up to WotLK (except maybe for flying mounts, but they have their opposition too). There are also many features WoW doesn't have like warplots, paths, action combat, player housing etc, but except for paths all those features we have already seen in other mmos. It's again the same thing WoW did, take the best of your predecessors, while trying to avoid things that might turn off some people from the game and then polish it as much as you can. There is nothing wrong with that, actually if they manage to pull it off Wildstar will be the new best mmo out there and I will gladly spend my money on it and pester my friends to do the same, but I will still see it as a WoW clone, or as a spiritual successor if you will, that switched out the things that feel old and stale in WoW with more modern concepts from other mmos and that many decisions seems to be done on purpose to attract the WoW crowd, especially the nostalgic so called "old school", "hardcore" part of the WoW crowd.
    Those are tropes. Not WoW things.
    And the graphics are stylized, and cartoony. That's not really a "wow thing" so much as it's a good call graphics card demand wise. By going stylized, they can hit a larger market with lower system reqs.

10+ Year Old Account

WoW did not invent any of those ideas, you're basically saying a game can't extend it's visual approach because another game already did it.

Cassians are practically humans who wear a lot of make up, Granok don't even look like Orcs, you seriously can't tell me they look like Orcs because they have a muscular body.

You're seriously over generalizing something there to prove a point.

---------- Post added 2013-05-28 at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    And the graphics are stylized, and cartoony. That's not really a "wow thing" so much as it's a good call graphics card demand wise.
    I seriously disagree with anyone who thinks WoW is cartoony, it always kept this serious look and tone to it until just recently with MoP, where they even changed the way a human looked like in their cinematic.

I seriously disagree with anyone who thinks WoW is cartoony, it always kept this serious look and tone to it until just recently with MoP, where they even changed the way a human looked like in their cinematic.
    Those aren't mutually exclusive.
    It was cartoony and serious. But that's been warcrafts style for a while now. If you look at WC2, it was much less cartoony than WC3, and WoW was more cartoony than WC3.

Editing to add supporting evidence:
    Look at the way orcs have been drawn throughout Warcrafts history.

http://www.gamerdna.com/uimage/F4N1B...ing-screen.png

Cartoony works. Cartoon is not "bad". And it works very well for Wildstar.

Please don't embed large pictures. --Sj
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-05-29 at 02:09 AM.

WoW cinematics didn't look cartoony, but the game did.
    Your you're own enemy.

Deleted
    WoW did not invent any of those ideas, you're basically saying a game can't extend it's visual approach because another game already did it.

Cassians are practically humans who wear a lot of make up, Granok don't even look like Orcs, you seriously can't tell me they look like Orcs because they have a muscular body.

You're seriously over generalizing something there to prove a point.
    I'm not saying they can't use a visual approach similar to WoW, actually I'm not against Carbine using anything from WoW, I'm just saying that they are, without implying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying that the visuals of the game, especially the little details like the shape and color of the blade of some sword, or the shape of the trees in Deradune are like higher poligon copies of things I have seen in WoW. This little things make me immediately associate Wildstar with WoW in my head.

Also when I said the races are similar I didn't mean by how they look, but how their background and personality feels so similar to WoW races. I mean Cassians are fancy, cocky, self absorbed, egocentric, superficial sissies just like how Blood elfs are in WoW (by that I mean the blood elf jokes and phrases told by npcs, not how blood elfs are in the lore). Same goes for the Granok, like orcs they are a proud race of warriors who lost their homeworld. The oversized arms thing was mostly a joke, but nevertheless Wildstar seems to have the tendency to go for 'big shoulders', again just like WoW.

Again I'm not saying Wildstar should or shouldn't do something because WoW did it (and frankly as long as the game is good it doesn't even matter), I'm just saying that in many big and small things it seems to inherit much more from WoW then any other mmo I have seen or played and that's why I said in the first place that in many aspects (not all aspects) it's a WoW clone.
    Last edited by mmoc3e45b10508; 2013-05-28 at 10:27 PM.

I'm not saying they can't use a visual approach similar to WoW, actually I'm not against Carbine using anything from WoW, I'm just saying that they are, without implying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying that the visuals of the game, especially the little details like the shape and color of the blade of some sword, or the shape of the trees in Deradune are like higher poligon copies of things I have seen in WoW. This little things make me immediately associate Wildstar with WoW in my head.

Also when I said the races are similar I didn't mean by how they look, but how their background and personality feels so similar to WoW races. I mean Cassians are fancy, cocky, self absorbed, egocentric, superficial sissies just like how Blood elfs are in WoW (by that I mean the blood elf jokes and phrases told by npcs, not how blood elfs are in the lore). Same goes for the Granok, like orcs they are a proud race of warriors who lost their homeworld. The oversized arms thing was mostly a joke, but nevertheless Wildstar seems to have the tendency to go for 'big shoulders', again just like WoW.

Again I'm not saying Wildstar should or shouldn't do something because WoW did it (and frankly as long as the game is good it doesn't even matter), I'm just saying that in many big and small things it seems to inherit much more from WoW then any other mmo I have seen or played and that's why I said in the first place that in many aspects (not all aspects) it's a WoW clone.
    Again, those are tropes.
    The noble savage, the Victorian, ect.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Again, those are tropes.
    The noble savage, the Victorian, ect.
    It's really alarming how permeating the idea of that game created everything in the fantasy genre is. I guess it's a compliment to its success at what they were going for. Hopefully Wildstar can pull off a similar feat where all sorts of Sci Fi western fantasy themes are said to be Wildstar clones.

Though to be honest, I hate that it happens at all. I can envision a world in 8 years where having a scruffy, fighting, rebellious cadre of rascals who do various things in space while fighting the imperialistic society of villains is credited to only Wildstar and things like Firefly and Star Wars are long forgotten.

Humanity is depressing some times.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Woah, so gotta say I checked Wildstar just briefly few months ago, saw the graphics on like 2 screenshots and closed them down and never looked into the game. But as it happens, I checked Pax East video, because I was bored :P and gotta say I've never been hyped like this for a game in a long time.

Also housing blew my mind, housing alone in this game is like Sims on steroids! I have a feeling this game might really make a mark, might not sink WoW, but if they deliver just what they say is almost finished, this game is going to be a real hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Torn between Esper and the Medic (if it plays as suggested in current the information) at the moment, hope they release info on the Medic at E3.

One thing I was wondering was if Settlers path gets any advantages when it comes to your housing plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Woah, so gotta say I checked Wildstar just briefly few months ago, saw the graphics on like 2 screenshots and closed them down and never looked into the game. But as it happens, I checked Pax East video, because I was bored :P and gotta say I've never been hyped like this for a game in a long time.

Also housing blew my mind, housing alone in this game is like Sims on steroids! I have a feeling this game might really make a mark, might not sink WoW, but if they deliver just what they say is almost finished, this game is going to be a real hit.
    You should check out the dev speak videos on the first post in this thread. They are quite funny.

I like it when he yelled "yea come get sum!"

---------- Post added 2013-05-28 at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Torn between Esper and the Medic (if it plays as suggested in current the information) at the moment, hope they release info on the Medic at E3.

One thing I was wondering was if Settlers path gets any advantages when it comes to your housing plot.
    http://youtu.be/YlP8ShpFZII?t=1m51s

That is either a medic gun or an engineer gun when he is mining. If you pay attention you see the node turning into a monster and he's trying to kill it.

I'm leaning towards medic gun seeing it's all "shocky" and shit.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-05-28 at 11:54 PM.

I loved the cinematic trailers from WoW. They were very well done, and the visuals were stunning.

That being said, I really do love the animation work done by Carbine. The cinematic trailers are of high quality, and that is all that matters.

There is a great amount of detail that go into them, and I respect that.

They may not be as "real" looking as WoW cinematics or ESO cinematics, but the style fits Carbines budget and approach. The Pixar-like graphics allow for a much more comedic, Carbine-like, approach.

It's really alarming how permeating the idea of that game created everything in the fantasy genre is. I guess it's a compliment to its success at what they were going for. Hopefully Wildstar can pull off a similar feat where all sorts of Sci Fi western fantasy themes are said to be Wildstar clones.

Though to be honest, I hate that it happens at all. I can envision a world in 8 years where having a scruffy, fighting, rebellious cadre of rascals who do various things in space while fighting the imperialistic society of villains is credited to only Wildstar and things like Firefly and Star Wars are long forgotten.

Humanity is depressing some times.
    It's incredibly hard to make something "new" that's liked though.

I remember watching in a dev interview with Bioware when Dragon Age was coming out how they wanted to do something "new" with Dwarves. From talking internally and with testers, they wanted to get away from the trope that they're all friendly and mine and drink beer. Trying to vastly move away from this was meant with resistance as then the idea of a dwarf was lost because it was so far removed. I can't remember what they wanted to do with them, but I know it was nothing like the trope they're normally associated with.

So, instead of moving too far away they kept the mining, drinking and fighting but added in another element. The caste system. Normally people see dwarves as jolly or friendly, but the ones in Dragon Age are dicks! If you're a duster or one of the lower classes you're seen as scum in their eyes. They said that taking a well known idea, but then adding a more "human" or real-life element to them made them feel more "real". I think it worked really well, that instead of just yet another eye-rolling "Oh look, it's a dwarf race, short fat and mining loving!" adding the Indian caste system to them made their race feel unique.

Now, how this relates to Wildstar. I'm a little disapointed there arn't more races. That or more unique ones. I'm not too keen on their being basically two human races but they seem unique enough and hopefully their building and ship styles will reflect this. Races like the rockmen are great. It's a shame they're not more orc-ish, but I can still live out my big burly brawler fantasy through them. The more agile and feral like race allow people to have that rogue feel while still staying unique. Even that rumoured mouse-like race gives the people that cute and furry race to play with.

I do feel though that their races are unique enough that they don't step on the toes of other MMOs. I'd love to see more alien races to play as though and i'd adore a Space Ork race! That might not happen till an exspansion, or maybe they're enemy NPCs, but I think anyone expecting there to be say a 3 legged 8 armed, no eyed 3 headed race that weilds fridges as weapons so that wildstar dosn't "clone" WoW is a fool. That's not aimed at you Kitty, just at people who keep saying "Wildstar copies WoW 100% so I hate it!" >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post

According to Gaffney settler will have some extra stuff they can make for your housing.Making FABkit or something? Can't remember on which videos.