Quote Originally Posted by Hardbunny View Post
    Why do people need to justify a game they haven't even through roughly tested yet only because they know they will buy it. It's not the worst thing in the world if you spend money and find out your assumptions of the game was wrong.
    Out on a limb with this, but I assume you're saying that; sometimes you need to gamble and take the risk of losing? I do agree with the concept, but not when it involves a party I do not know (aka not Blizzard, not Valve,...) or that I absolutely do know (EA). In this case I don't know them. All I see is a game that basically took wow and replaced its roof, but left the foundtion alone (so you might be looking at a new bedroom on the attic, with a nice view on your neighboars wall), which virtually means that everything that's currently in needs to be able to compete with WoW and win.

It's definitely going to be tough for them. Based on that prospect, I'll await "popular" opinion after a months time or so. Even I don't just keep spending my money on games.

Now Wildstar have my attention...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardbunny View Post
    Why do people need to justify a game they haven't even through roughly tested yet only because they know they will buy it. It's not the worst thing in the world if you spend money and find out your assumptions of the game was wrong.
    True, suddenly Wildstar will turn out bad because of the current state of beta doesn't warrant a monthly subs for it.
    Lots of changes of heart already after the business model was announced.I will wait to see how the development going to be before passing any judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Seeing the forum backlash on several sites including this one makes me think that Wildstar just made the one mistake that will drive this game to F2P. I still feel like they are pulling a bait and switch like most sub MMOs that have launched in the last few years. The amount of people who have declared they won't even buy touch the game now is staggering.
    I think it is also partly due to having referred to it as a hybrid model previously. I get why they might consider this a hybrid model; but I don't think this is what most people thought when they heard hybrid.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I think it is also partly due to having referred to it as a hybrid model previously. I get why they might consider this a hybrid model; but I don't think this is what most people thought when they heard hybrid.
    Not to mention that the Gaffer blew smoke up everyone's behind by talking about it like they understand people who dont' like subscriptions. It was clearly just lip service. Also, I posted an updated comment regarding a cash shop from him a little bit up. He's already posturing more towards a cash shop/microtransactions than the statement we saw earlier.
    BAD WOLF

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, when I heard "hybrid" I immediately thought of this:

So now I AM DISAPPOINT!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by athlonmax View Post
    True, suddenly Wildstar will turn out bad because of the current state of beta doesn't warrant a monthly subs for it.
    Lots of changes of heart already after the business model was announced.I will wait to see how the development going to be before passing any judgement.
    Eh... It's not a change of heart on my part so much as I don't feel like they deserve to be coddled anymore. I was doing my best to highlight the better aspects while hoping for changes (in part, due to the fact that some of my friends read my posts and I don't like to openly bash the things they like) and because I love rooting for the underdog.

But this announcement changes all that. They want to play with the big boys? Okay. Time to hold them up to big boy standards.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention that the Gaffer blew smoke up everyone's behind by talking about it like they understand people who dont' like subscriptions. It was clearly just lip service. Also, I posted an updated comment regarding a cash shop from him a little bit up. He's already posturing more towards a cash shop/microtransactions than the statement we saw earlier.
    Ahahah. I had forgotten about that.

This is almost as bad as the SSSP.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Eh... It's not a change of heart on my part so much as I don't feel like they deserve to be coddled anymore. I was doing my best to highlight the better aspects while hoping for changes (in part, due to the fact that some of my friends read my posts and I don't like to openly bash the things they like) and because I love rooting for the underdog.

But this announcement changes all that. They want to play with the big boys? Okay. Time to hold them up to big boy standards.
    So all this fighting I had with you was to keep your friends happy O_O.

Oh this just gets more hilarious. Here's an updated quote from Gaffney about potential cash shop from a Gamebreaker interview:

link

Bend over folks...the money train is coming for you.
    Yea... we were talking about that a bit ago. That part bothers me a bunch. I still think if you are subbing you should get everything with the sub.. but that appears to be an old school opinion

Yea... we were talking about that a bit ago. That part bothers me a bunch. I still think if you are subbing you should get everything with the sub.. but that appears to be an old school opinion
    While I agree with this thought, it changed a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    So all this fighting I had with you was to keep your friends happy O_O.
    I am a complicated man, I know.

(Also, because I really want new MMOs to do well. I really want them to succeed! But I am not going to drink the koolaid this time)

wait. when and what were we fighting about?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

yea... I know Doozerjun... I'm kinda like a kitty trying to not fall off the couch. Clinging for dear life.

/old woman voice

"back in my day...."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, the reaction is quite something.

Massive miscalculation in the long run I think.
    Because 30-40 people across several forums, boards etc are downvoting it and writing 10-20 posts? That surely speaks for the entire upcoming game population.

People tend to forget that earlier MMOs that failed against Wow did not "fail" because of their sub model, it failed because they werent good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel0ns View Post
    Because 30-40 people across several forums, boards etc are downvoting it and writing 10-20 posts? That surely speaks for the entire upcoming game population.
    Check the official forums as well as comments sections in fan forums and in article.

It's causing quite the stir.

It is funny about the huge outcry this has caused, I've never seen it so bad for an MMO. Hopefully this will help reverse the silly hype thats been getting out of control.

Thousands of MMO hobbyists will cry out for the next few days about the model and then it will be a sidebar.
    Anyone who thought this would start out F2P was delirious, the best you could of hoped for was B2P.
    Releasing as F2P has a stigma to it regardless of what all of you will say. People say that its pay to win, or full of freeloader idiots, kids, ect.

This personally make me more interested in the game because it means they are going after WoW subscribers which is a ballsy move and I like it. Basically saying this is not the game you play alongside your sub games (GW2) this is the game you play instead of those sub games.

I'll buy the game and subscribe for me and my wife, as well as keep my subscriptions to other games. Who knows maybe they surprise people and create an addictive atmosphere with some interesting systems.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Ahahah. I had forgotten about that.

This is almost as bad as the SSSP.
    I, too would love to see a new MMO to succeed, but isn't all the bashing a little bit extreme?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention that a lot of people liked the promise of what they saw and analyzed it with B2P glasses. Combat not perfect? That's ok, I can focus on building my house and I'm not paying a sub. Paths not very different, that's ok because I like their combat and won't have to pay a sub. Whole leveling game not good? That's ok because their raiding seems awesome.

All of this with the idea that they didn't have to pay rent in order for their landlord to fix all the building's damages. But now that they have to pay for all of this stuff they are already unhappy with? Time to just be brutally honest instead of talking about the good things and the 'what may be's'.

Now you know that you will have to pay money every month for things you already aren't 100% ok with. Nope, not acceptable anymore.
    BAD WOLF

I find this forum to be indicative of the 'new breed' casual gamers that imo have largely ruined the MMO genre. I consider the negative response on this forum to be a sign of a solid stamp of approval for the hardcore crowd.

Other forums are responding quite favorably to this.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    IF they include a cash shop (and Ill be blown over if they dont) it will be one the most in your face blatant cash grab ever released from the get go. I have to think some management heavy stuff came down and cracked heads for them the change their tune so dramatically. When will companies realize you can't go this route and expect your game to succeed. Time and time again companies invest tons o cash' get nervous and then in a mad panic to get some of that investment back, they totally screw the product they hoped to succeed before it even gets off the ground.

I went from very excited ( im not in the camp of game play sucks, it needs worlds of improvement but the bones where very promising and fun) to wow look at the train wreck.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2013-08-19 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They want to play with the big boys? Okay. Time to hold them up to big boy standards.
    Indeed. If they come out and say Wildstar is worth a sub, then i'd have to politely disagree. Personal experience. I was mildly hyped for this game, might finally have found THAT MMO that i stick as long or longer than WoW did with me (6 years), but unless the game actually improves miles until Spring 2014, i'll have to give it a pass. Like i said before , i'm ok with the sub provided the game will offer me the BEST experience on the market, but they still have ways to go before i'm convinced.