10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Happy Hobbit Day!!! A history.

Today, September the 21st, marks the anniversary that "The Hobbit" was published on 21 September 1937.

74 Years of the most epic fantasy tales ever told. 74 Years ago, J.R.R Tolkien laid down the very foundation that the fantasy genre was built upon. We can thank him for the great reads, games like D&D, and of course, WoW.

An excerpt from Wikipedia (yes, I know, its a wiki article...full of holes and lies. deal with it)

"Set in a time "Between the Dawn of Færie and the Dominion of Men", The Hobbit follows the quest of home-loving hobbit Bilbo Baggins to win a share of the treasure guarded by the dragon, Smaug. Bilbo's journey takes him from light-hearted, rural surroundings into darker, deeper territory. The story is told in the form of an episodic quest, and most chapters introduce a specific creature, or type of creature, of Tolkien's Wilderland. By accepting the disreputable, romantic, fey and adventurous side of his nature (the "Tookish" side) and applying his wits and common sense, Bilbo develops a new level of maturity, competence and wisdom. The story reaches its climax in the Battle of Five Armies, where many of the characters and creatures from earlier chapters re-emerge to engage in conflict.
    Themes of personal growth and forms of heroism figure in the story. Along with conflict, these themes lead critics to cite Tolkien's own experiences, and those of other writers who fought in World War I, as instrumental in shaping the story. The author's scholarly knowledge of Anglo-Saxon literature and interest in fairy tales are also often noted as influences.
    Due to the book's critical and financial success, Tolkien's publishers requested a sequel. As work on The Lord of the Rings progressed, Tolkien made retrospective accommodations for it in one chapter of The Hobbit. These few but significant changes were integrated into the second edition. Further editions followed with minor emendations, including those reflecting Tolkien's changing concept of the world into which Bilbo stumbled.
    The work has never been out of print. Its ongoing legacy encompasses many adaptations for stage, screen, radio, board games and video games. Some of these adaptations have received critical recognition of their own, including a video game that won the Golden Joystick Award, a scenario of a war game that won an Origins Award, and an animated picture nominated for a Hugo Award."

Interestingly enough, were it not for his fans, Tolkien would have most likely left it at "The Hobbit", and never wrote "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Power to the fans! *cough* narrows eyes at Blizzard *cough*

In the spirit of Hobbit Day, here is a link to a Hobbit Name generator! Post up your Hobbit names! (and mods, I think you'll approve of this name game, considering any actual names are not being posted MMO-Champ) Website has been around for years (since 2000. I've used it numerous times, its safe)

ENJOY! and Happy Hobbit Day everyone!

http://chriswetherell.com/hobbit/

---------- Post added 2011-09-21 at 04:27 PM ----------

Moro Foxburr of Loamsdown

EDIT: also, there is a link on the site to elvish names as well.

Orodreth Helyanwë ( first person to notice gets a cookie)
    Last edited by Orodoth; 2011-09-21 at 09:10 PM.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Hobbit name: Tigerlily Underhill of Frogmorton
    Elven Name: Tamuríl Telemmaitë

Also... I wonder how many first editions of the Hobbit are still around...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Hobbit name: Tigerlily Underhill of Frogmorton
    Elven Name: Tamuríl Telemmaitë

Also... I wonder how many first editions of the Hobbit are still around...
    I dunno, but in good condition, and to the right buyer, I bet they'd fetch a pretty penny or two.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

I am sure they would be quite valuable... especially considering the later editions had (more than normal) changes and stuff.