Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    couldnt agree more...everytime i go back on wow...nup chuck testa....guild wars 2 will be my MMO of choice for a while I feel...while it still has its grinds and its dull patches...for a month old game...im excited for its potential!

Quote Originally Posted by Gritalian View Post
    I take it that, also based on the comment of getting to 80, you didn't play in Vanilla or TBC? There isn't a grind in WoW: a grind implies struggling with friction... there is no struggle in leveling in WoW. Monotonous? Sure... but it's hardly a grind. 40 hours to go from 56-60 is a grind.... 1-85- in 30hrs is not.
    I was playing during the end TBC, I remember that I was 70 for a while when sunwell was released. Dont remember exactly, I was still a major noob back then.

Ok sorry, I misused the word grind. What I meant by "grind to 90" is that its monotonous, boring, utterly uninteresting and in no way fun (for me). I think a lot of people can agree with me here.

I didn't buy Guild Wars 2, but I do think it's kind of fun. I don't pay for retail WoW anymore either, but if I had to choose between only playing WoW, or only playing GW2, I'd definitely choose WoW. GW2 is just not that great, and once the new game feeling wears off, it's going to be in the same condition as every other MMO that's not WoW. I hope the game does well enough for itself, and I'm glad that people are having a good time with it, but it can't replace WoW
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermor View Post
    Unfortunately, I bought Guild Wars 2 and can now never imagine myself enjoying WoW again. Anyone else feeling this way?

For me, Guild Wars takes a huge step forward with its gameplay and quest design. Its just far more enjoyable than WoW is atm. Its a similar feeling as when I first bought WoW. Its been 6 years of the same thing over and over again, its nice to have a big change. I highly recommend Guild Wars to anyone who is burned out on WoW in general. In fact, I recommend this game to just about anyone. €50 and no subscription fee is great value.
    I feel GW2 made me appritiate WoW more. No offense, GW2 is fine but perspective is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrashnar View Post

However, the thing I do not like about GW2 and do like about WoW is the sheer amount of rotational buttons I have in WoW. In GW2, perhaps its because I am playing a Mesmer, but I feel like the optimal way to kill a mob is: To auto attack as much as possible, summon some copies who I explode to daze asap and try to avoid being hit because I am squishy as fuck.
    It took me a while to get used to this, but I actually enjoy it. It depends on the class you pick though. I was playing thief for a while and rerolled guardian which is 100 times better. Elementalists are far more enjoyable than thieves aswell.

However, the thing I do not like about GW2 and do like about WoW is the sheer amount of rotational buttons I have in WoW. In GW2, perhaps its because I am playing a Mesmer, but I feel like the optimal way to kill a mob is: To auto attack as much as possible, summon some copies who I explode to daze asap and try to avoid being hit because I am squishy as fuck.
    This is kind of a problem for me, too. I don't need to have a whole load of keys to press (and I did play WoW pre-BC, when rotations were way more simple than they are now), but Guild Wars 2 just feels too easy, too simple, and worst of all, too automated. When I maximize my DPS by hitting E once, and hitting Q every few seconds, there's a problem. I don't know why they even have auto attack in a game with so few abilities
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Since GW2 I enjoy the "you don't have to turn in your quests" bit. I wish WoW had the option to not have to run back to town, though that would create a problem with picking up more. Which isn't easily fixed, and it would require an entire rehash of everything they have created thus far. I'm only 54 in Gw2 atm, and I'm loving the supply runs with pvp, and the questing as well. There is nothing like running by a camp of centaurs and you get to walk in and slap their boss for loads of xp and a few pieces of loot.

On a side note, I wish as long as you hit a mob in wow you got loot or xp from it like in Gw2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    Since GW2 I enjoy the "you don't have to turn in your quests" bit. I wish WoW had the option to not have to run back to town, though that would create a problem with picking up more. Which isn't easily fixed, and it would require an entire rehash of everything they have created thus far. I'm only 54 in Gw2 atm, and I'm loving the supply runs with pvp, and the questing as well. There is nothing like running by a camp of centaurs and you get to walk in and slap their boss for loads of xp and a few pieces of loot.

On a side note, I wish as long as you hit a mob in wow you got loot or xp from it like in Gw2 as well.
    All of these things are just changes that make the game easier

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    All of these things are just changes that make the game easier
    Maybe so, but it immerses you more into the game than have to go back and forth to a town. I enjoy running randomly around zones and just doing whatever I can find to help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermor View Post
    I was playing during the end TBC, I remember that I was 70 for a while when sunwell was released. Dont remember exactly, I was still a major noob back then.

Ok sorry, I misused the word grind. What I meant by "grind to 90" is that its monotonous, boring, utterly uninteresting and in no way fun (for me). I think a lot of people can agree with me here.
    Hell, I agree with you. But there are thousands of guilds who by the time they go to bed on the 25th, they will be 90... I'm on a relatively small server and even on my server there will be 10+ guilds with multiple dungeon groups farming heroics 20 hours after release. So I just don't think it's fair to compare the two leveling experiences as one is a 7 year old game that is built around giving you a (laughable) hurdle as you reach the next level cap and then partake in more of the focused content. Where as the other gives you that content as you go at the expense of being thin on focused content once that level is reached.

I personally enjoy the WoW experience more as I feel my character got stronger every bit I go (granted I leveled most of the levels before they made leveling as laughable as it is now). In Guild Wars I don't feel that at all. I don't like that I can queue for pvp and instantly have pvp gear. That hitting level 16 doesn't change much from being level 12. I feel like I'm going through the motions in GW2... that's just me personally, though. I am not here to bash on anyone who prefers it. I wish I enjoyed it, more, I just don't. Even with the easy leveling, when I leveled my Druid and DK a few months ago, two classes I vowed to never level, I did it with a end goal in mind: to have and be good with all 4 tanks. That was my goal. When I play Guild Wars 2, my goal is basically to play and figure out why it's not fun to me, while Reddit and this message board is filled with overwhelming positive support of the game, cause at this point I just haven't gotten to a point where anything I have done feels better than WoW. Even the "questing" seems like a different name for the same journey. I might not have a quest hub, but I'm running to stars and doing chores... and that's basically what the game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    Maybe so, but it immerses you more into the game than have to go back and forth to a town. I enjoy running randomly around zones and just doing whatever I can find to help.
    How does it immerse you in the game more? It doesn't make any sense from an immersion perspective, because you're not being told to do XYZ, or asked to do XYZ, then going back to tell them that you did said task

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought Guild Wars 2, played it for about a week. Then i went back to WoW. BUT i still find WoW boring at the moment. But I still want to play it. And not GW2. So confusing >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Yes and no.
    I'm having a blast in GW2, thoroughly enjoying the world and the levelling process - I feel I've more than had my money's worth already. I've enjoyed the dungeons that I've run - found them fun and challenging and very different to WoW (which is good - otherwise what's the point of playing a different game). They have this feeling of organised chaos in GW2.
    I do love healing though - and I quite enjoy raiding so WoW will continue to be there for that.
    GW2 has definitely spoiled me for leveling though. The DEs, the smooth flow, the way they've set up mob tagging (you hit it, you can loot it!) the fact that I didn't need to fight off half the server to mine a frigging node. I'm dreading MoP launch and diving into the game of 'tag the mob' or 'grab that ore node' or 'retrieve X from those piles of excrement' with the rest of the server all in the same couple of zones.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    How does it immerse you in the game more? It doesn't make any sense from an immersion perspective, because you're not being told to do XYZ, or asked to do XYZ, then going back to tell them that you did said task
    If you've played Gw2, then you will notice you do turn certain items in. Aside from the turn-ins you have to be within a certain distance of the npc in order to complete the quest. Which means you are within eyesight, hence not having to turn it in. From an immersion perspective it does make sense, and lots of it. I just think you're trying to pick an argument for no reason.

This is kind of a problem for me, too. I don't need to have a whole load of keys to press (and I did play WoW pre-BC, when rotations were way more simple than they are now), but Guild Wars 2 just feels too easy, too simple, and worst of all, too automated. When I maximize my DPS by hitting E once, and hitting Q every few seconds, there's a problem. I don't know why they even have auto attack in a game with so few abilities
    Ive found that it really does depend on what class/profession you play and what weapons you use. Im playing guardian with 2h sword now and its bloody awesome. It has the perfect number of offensive and defensive abilities for me. I hated playing thief because it felt exactly as you described. Elementalist looks very engaging awell.

Deleted
    I would like to see this too. Would make questing a lot easier, the "tagging" system is pretty out dated. Although I do believe things should still be "faction tagged". Thinking world bosses etc.
    Actually, I think it would be kind of neat to have both Alliance and Horde join together to take down some sort of open-world boss. And then turning on each other for the spoils. :P

But that's beside the thread, I s'pose.

That is funny becouse when I do explorable dungeons in GW2 I feel much more pressured than while raiding in WoW. Maybe its becouse I play an engineer and need to juggle my kits constantly but then again other proffessions can swap weapons in combat so that is rather similar. Dodging all the *** that mobs throw at me non-stop while trying to maintain some form of DPS takes from me much more attention and finger twisting than keeping up rotation in WoW raids. Also I believe there is no such thing as "maximize my DPS" in GW2. At least not in a sense known from WoW. It is more about "maximize my survival". As long as you survive, the DPS does not matter at all. In vast majority of cases from what I seen.
    Last edited by Awe; 2012-09-20 at 08:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Good for you, now leave us alone :P
    Psst... pssst.... hey! It seems you have gotten lost and blundered into the Guild Wars 2 section of the forum.
    Now leave us alone :P
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    GW2 didin't change a thing, I never enjoyed WoW, in most areas it is either mediocre or bad, about the best thing I can think of for WoW is it is very responsvie compared to most MMOs, but really if it came out today, it would struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Good for you, now leave us alone :P

Really..why do you feel the need to try and convince people to play the game? surely if it's so good like you say it is then the game should speak for itself?

PS. I am Murloc! :P
    I just made this thread in the Guild Wars 2 forum so I can have a discussion on the subject, isnt that the whole point of a forum?