10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If we're banning cultural practices due to incredibly rare chances of a fatality then I guess we need to get pretty busy.
    We've been banning outdated and unnecessary cultural practices for years, it's not like we'd suddenly be starting now.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    except it was a studio with several famous women sitting around a table and a large audience of women that ALL laughed when they told the story of a man getting his dick cut off by his ex-wife he just divorced, Sharon Osbourne was the one making the joke. Even the forced apology afterwards in the next episode was more or less a joke to everyone there again with another full female audience thinking it was funny.

So don't say it was a few sadistic assholes since i am pretty sure a lot women watching the show was getting a good laugh out of it.
    I'm a guy and I laughed. I'm not a sensitive suzy and didn't take the story personally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I admit I don't have the studies or documentaries on the subject on hand. It's been some time since I watched and read that stuff. That was one element I remembered about it from what I read and watched. I can't really give you any more than that since I can't remember the names of the articles or videos.
    It's alright, im not attacking you as a person. And im sure there are sick minded men out there who most likely practice this for the sexual deviances. But it sickens me when people try to compare it to all circumcisions i view them all as equally sickening and wish it was stopped being practiced on men AND women alike.
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2012-11-24 at 04:08 AM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    My disgust is more at the reaction of it. I guarantee you if the genders were reversed in that story, the audience wouldn't have been cheering.
    People collectively, are stupid. Audiences are idiots, one person laughs, another laughs, they do it because it's uncomfortable. Laughter is not simply a sign of enjoyment, it's also a way that people attempt to deal with situations that make them uncomfortable. In addition, the audience is encouraged to laugh with the cast, lest the cast actually look bad for their opinions.

And of course you are right, but on the same token, on a very "many" male show if there was an article about a man cutting off a woman's breasts, the male audience might have been laughing just as much.

Individually people can be very rational and intelligent. But in large groups and under the influence of peer pressure to conform, they become idiots.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Just pointing this out, not that I agree with it. Female circumcision is a rite of passage in many African cultures. I remember seeing a case a few years back in America about a 16 year old girl who wanted the procedure in America. It's not something that's always done to unwilling women.

And saying male circumcision should continue to be legal because it's a "benign" practice is nothing more than an appeal to tradition.
    Again, I ask you: when shall we ban alcohol and tobacco?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    How popular was Saw, exactly?
    Are you one of those weirdos who can't separate fantasy from reality?

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 04:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Again, I ask you: when shall we ban alcohol and tobacco?
    Apples and oranges.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet in statistical facts they are exactly as I said.
    Now you're moving goal posts to defend your interpretation of majority. In terms of congressional representation, for example, women are a minority. Same with representation in other areas such as corporate boards. Military. From a historical perspective, basic rights.

And yet in statistical facts they are exactly as I said.
    If we're talking about government women are still a minority. That they turned out in force to elect their choice of preselected men doesn't change that.

And saying male circumcision should continue to be legal because it's a "benign" practice is nothing more than an appeal to tradition.
    That or I don't want the government banning a cultural practice with no serious consequences in the vast majority of instances. But then again you're for small government that stays out of your business.

Yes, we clearly have to pretend, because more women didn't vote than men in the 2012 elections.
    rukentuts, i know you are more intelligent than that.

but since we keep going in circles here, why dont you tell us how the need for male rights came about?

Apples and oranges.
    yeah, a lot more people are hurt by alcohol and tobacco. And apples and oranges now that I think about it. WHERE IS MY BAN ON APPLES?

Laughter is not simply a sign of enjoyment, it's also a way that people attempt to deal with situations that make them uncomfortable.
    From the prevalence I see jokes like that in the video, I find it hard to believe they are "uncomfortable".

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually looked it up. Complication rate for circumcision is 1.5%. And that's all complications. Most of it is bleeding and infection, things that can be avoided.

But hey lets keep comparing it to female genital mutilation then wonder why people don't take the MRM seriously.
    Because you can only ban one or the other right? Here's a weird and unusual concept.

Outlaw both, because I certainly don't see anyone here arguing against circumcision having the mindset that FGM is fine and dandy.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you one of those weirdos who can't separate fantasy from reality?
    Now now Laize, no need to lean on ad hominems to carry your views.

I don't see how you can cry all over the place about a small group of women laughing at mutilation, and casually dismiss public reaction to a movie expressly about torture and mutilation as in no way significant.

Deleted
    And of course you are right, but on the same token, on a very "many" male show if there was an article about a man cutting off a woman's breasts, the male audience might have been laughing just as much.
    I hope you are kidding

If we're talking about government women are still a minority. That they turned out in force to elect their choice of preselected men doesn't change that
    Yes, because women's views aren't catered to in the least right? Considering they pretty much singlehandedly cost the GOP the 2012 election?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, because women's views aren't catered to in the least right? Considering they pretty much singlehandedly cost the GOP the 2012 election?
    Oh no! The GOP lost because of democracy! What a tragic day for America.

You had a party that alienated women's rights in a number of issues. What do you think would happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Because you can only ban one or the other right? Here's a weird and unusual concept.

Outlaw both, because I certainly don't see anyone here arguing against circumcision having the mindset that FGM is fine and dandy.
    Why should we outlaw common cultural practices that have extremely low rates of complications? Shouldn't people be free to raise their children and live their lives in the way they see fit so long as they're not causing undue harm to their children or others?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    You had a party that alienated women's rights in a number of issues. What do you think would happen?
    Exactly my point.

No. It's really really not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    It's alright, im not attacking you as a person. And im sure there are sick minded men out there who most likely practice this for the sexual deviances. But it sickens me when people try to compare it to all circumcisions i view them all as equally sickening and wish it was stopped being practiced on men AND women alike.
    I agree, I just wish that people would stop trying to call FGM and modern, western, male-circumcision "objectively" the same because they're both forms of mutilation. Yes, they are, but are they comparable? Sure, if you can compare a toy car and a ocean-liner because they both have engines.

Just pointing this out, not that I agree with it. Female circumcision is a rite of passage in many African cultures. I remember seeing a case a few years back in America about a 16 year old girl who wanted the procedure in America. It's not something that's always done to unwilling women.

I never said it was benign nor that it should continue. Only that on the scale of "mutilation", modern male circumcision is a 1 or a 2, and FGM ranks somewhere on a 9 to 11(on a scale of 10). Male circumcision is an OPTIONAL procedure which some parents choose to have their children undergo.

As for cultural traditions, people are idiots when under pressure to conform. I said that.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.