Thread: new mmo to try

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually on the same boat as OP, I've spent the past couple of weeks trying to find something I like. After trying most of the recent new MMO's the only two that interest me in the slightest are Rift: Storm Legion, and Path of Exile (buy in beta though). I think I'm getting bored of the MMORPG genre, after 7 years of WoW and paying/playing for the same thing over and over with other mmorpgs (such a SWTOR, RIFT, warhammer online, etc) it's becoming obvious that the genre will not change while WoW is still on top because it works. Don't get me wrong wow is a good game, but I believe its for new people coming into this genre. I'm hoping ESO is fresh... It's my last hope until I quit gaming for good I think.
    Last edited by skybar; 2012-12-09 at 02:10 AM.

What defines an MMO as an MMO is the number of player characters that can be in the same place at a time. If a game has a limitation on the number of players that can play together at any time designed into it, it's not an MMO. An MMO only has technical limitations that dictate how many people can be in the same place at the same time.

Don't confuse online multi-player with massively multi-player.

DCUO is kinda fun and free2play, also a Transformers MMO should be starting beta soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    So Counter Strike and Call of Duty are also MMOs?
    He's talking about MOBA games... Dota, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Smite, etc.

Counter-Strike and especially COD aren't that.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 06:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    What defines an MMO as an MMO is the number of player characters that can be in the same place at a time. If a game has a limitation on the number of players that can play together at any time designed into it, it's not an MMO. An MMO only has technical limitations that dictate how many people can be in the same place at the same time.

Don't confuse online multi-player with massively multi-player.
    Where do you draw that line, though? WoW can technically support hundreds in a given area but it's pretty rare to see that outside of small areas like cities and major quest hubs. Hell, you could call Planetside an MMO since it has hundreds of players in a (relatively) small area, but most people would define it as a shooter. Diablo 3 doesn't support hundreds of players in a small area, but it does have virtually all of the other hallmarks of post-WoW MMOs - a matchmaking system for creating groups, an auction house, etc.

MMO is such a vague term.
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2012-12-09 at 12:17 PM.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    He's talking about MOBA games... Dota, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Smite, etc.

Counter-Strike and especially COD aren't that.
    How are those any different than a FPS game like CS/CoD? Both include small teams fighting against each other (in at least one gameplay mode) on a map.

Isn't Dota2 coming out soon? I heard it was in Beta. I have a friend that is trying to talk me into playing it.