Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WoW is and will forever be one of the finest games I ever played

I left WoW in Cata, tried MoP etc...but that is all besides the point. One thing I realised yesterday is how much of an amazing part of my life WoW has been. Something tragic happened in my life yesterday that I do not wish to talk about but once it was all said and done I got home agitated, stressed and lost. I jumped on a certain wow server and flew around some of my favourite zones and for a few moments it made me forget about how much my life is sucking, just for a short time.

I myself have given blizz a lot of flack about the state of game and blah blah blah but the fact remains...there will never be a game which will give me as much happiness as I got out of WoW when I was an avid player. Thank you WoW, I am amazed that a game can bring so much calm and distract me from life's bigger issues at least for a short time.

Many people like me are guilty of shaming WoW and saying terrible things about how the game is now and maybe that is because everytime we talk about the times we loved, people claim we are just being nostalgic. But what is life, if not a series of nostalgic experiences? It's nostalgia that makes me hold onto my old teddy bear from when I was a lad, it's nostalgia that makes me love my old school so much, it's nostalgia that I can feel about a game which is'nt evn real, like I feel for WoW.

Those were good days. All the hate aside, WoW is and will forever be one of the finest games I ever played.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, in my 25 years of gaming, its certainly up there, probably not my best but there's so much to choose from. Only when WoW truly does die can we truly appreciate the impact it'll leave on the gaming industry. Unfortunately and fortunately that day hasn't come yet.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Yeah I agree too.

I remember hearing about it when I was still playing WCIII frantically. It was the first pc-game I ever bought (I bought my first pc when I was 23 when I left my parental house and played console games before).

Then a few years later I heard about playing something similar as "the hero" from WCIII in an mmo-setting. I did not even know what an mmo was, but I surely would try out this game as I loved the heroes in WCIII. When I first entered the game I was overwhelmed on how brilliant it was. Sure looking back vanilla had major flaws, but it did not bother me. I just saw the "challenge" in it.

It also came at a time when I broke up with my longtime girlfriend. And as such was an escape for me (she continued to live with me for 4 months since she had no place to stay and I could not kick her out). So WoW came and gave me a place without worries.

I was very very naïve at first.
    It was already so awesome when I joined a guild. I thought joining a guild would be a major process with some form of council or something and that you should be deemed worthy to wear the name of the guild. Especially in the beginning on my server we only had roleplay guildnames such as Lionheart. But it turned out to be very easy (bit anti climactic) still I was honored to join someones guild. Leveled with the guildies and ultimately left because I heard about raids and the guild I was in did not want to raid. So I joined one of the first alliance raiding guilds on my server, ultimately rising to be an officer/classleader. Altho I hated the job, it did gave me insight on how NOT to run a guild - or at the very least gave me insight on how I would run my guild. And around TBC when the guildmaster decided to do Karazhan and split the guilds raiders into 2 groups: his favourites and the bads (according to him), I took the "bads" and while he was still bashing his head against Moroes, we had killed The Curator. And because he would not congratulate us on our success (it was still his guild, so he should have been proud imo), many were offended and as such asked me to split from the guild and forge our own. And so we did. Never looked back basically. Though it was pretty fun to learn that while my guild already downed Gruul and was progressing on Magtheridon or SSC, they were still wiping on the first trash in Gruul's Lair (I heard they spend a few evenings wiping there, can you believe it?). I did not have bad feelings towards the old guild though, but yeah to know this happened made me feel like I made the right call.

The game had dominated my life for about 8 years I guess. The last 2 were so casual I hardly recognise myself. But it was time to let Real Life catch up to me and pay attention to the people that are closest to me. I would never be able to raid as I did again, unless I wanted to neglect things I worked for so hard the past 2 years.

But WoW is pretty much the best game I have ever played and very much doubt that something could ever take it's place. Just think of all those hours you pumped in. Could you imagine pumping that many hours into another game?

If I had to make a list in terms of what games I liked the most (and have spend the most hours at):

1. WoW
    2. Mario Kart SNES (yeah the 16 bit one, that is actually difficult compared to those broad roads in the newer versions)
    3. Final Fantasy 7
    4. Warcraft III (and TFT)
    5. Zelda OoT

Still I do not like what WoW has become. But I like it enough to keep playing (altho I am currently unsubbed) and it also have to do with nostalgia I guess or misguided loyalty to the game.

I still compare everything to Ultima Online.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    "It doesn't matter how WoW ends, but it will require more then a god to kill it"

WoW best game i ever played. WC3 was amazing too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Aye. No matter how much I like the theme or direction the game is headed, WoW will always remain one of the most polished games of all time.

I can agree that it is very polished. That's why I can't wait for Blizz's next MMO, or any other game they make tbh.

The atmosphere in other MMO's is not the same. Characters feel like they are sliding instead of actually walking. Etc, etc.

Wow is the reason i that cannot like any other mmo. I always miss the feel, the lore, the art and blizzards way to deal with problems. I agree that the game is not the same anymore, and right now i'm not playing. However, i do not feel like blizzard messed up the game. The whole gaming industry (at least the big game titles) are adapting to the new market. And for old school players it's obviously easy. We've been there, done that. Repeat.

I still like WoW a lot, but i'm lacking in motivation to do something in game. I'm really stocked for Blizz-con. Let's hope for some of the best innovation that we've come to expect from Blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said to many other people: no MMO that comes out will be able to compare to WoW. WoW was released for over 9 years and developed even longer than that. MMO's that get released nowadays have been developed for 2-5 years and still don't have half the 'quality of life' that WoW has. You see a new MMO come out, you do some research and you can compare it to previous WoW expansions. Even if there is a game announced that everyone gets excited about, Blizzard is not sitting on their asses, there is higher chance you will get the 'new awesome' feature in WoW faster than the new game will come out.
    I agree on so many parts with design choices for WoW (talent tree revamp, for example) as I had similar experience doing it on my own (designing a game).
    Reasons why I find WoW one of the finest games currently:
    1) Art style. I can't stand 'realistic' graphics, I notice too many issues with anatomy and plastic textures. I find it much more relaxing to look at 'cartoony' graphics like WoW. Plus I'm a huge anime lover so that has an effect too
    2) Quality of life. There are so many little 'quality of life' that WoW did first, it feels like any new MMO that comes out MUST have all of those or you notice it immediately and get put off. "Ugh, wheres the looking for group tool? There isn't one??"
    3) Support. If anyone can name another MMO with better support, I'll shake your hand.
    4) Community. Bash it all you want, but I have found a lot of awesome people through WoW.
    PM me weird stuff :3

For me, I believe that there's one main reason why nothing compared to WoW and maybe never will (if so, I'd be sad even if it's "my fault so to speak).

I encountered Warcraft 1 at the age of 11-12. The whole series, the world, setting, orcs, knights, magic, portrayed in such a appeasing manner (to say the least) simply made me fall in love with it, so to speak. Hell, ever since Warcraft 1, any game that has orcs, I have to be them lol

Today, whenever I see new MMO's, I secretly wish that one is "the one", but it'll never have Warcraft setting. No more beloved orcs, no more Horde, etc. etc.

For me personally, this is and will be the reason why I, probably, wont like a different MMO for a long time. (although, I do hope I'm wrong)

i agree the only reason i don't play anymore is nostalgia

i don't want to ruin my memories of wow with lame pandas and LFR /LFG

i rather not play to keep my nostalgia with the real world of warcraft and not mix it with kong fu panda

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by m777 View Post
    i agree the only reason i don't play anymore is nostalgia

i don't want to ruin my memories of wow with lame pandas and LFR /LFG

i rather not play to keep my nostalgia with the real world of warcraft and not mix it with kong fu panda
    I do believe W3 came out BEFORE kung-fu Panda.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    I do believe W3 came out BEFORE kung-fu Panda.
    your point ??? i taught we are talking about world of warcraft not warcraft 3

and beside warcraft 3 has only 1 or 2 pandas and they do not look as ridiculous as they are in wow....

pandas in world of warcraft are inspired by kong fu panda more then anything

Amen brother!

I couldn't agree more.

Deleted
    It's why I'm still playing, despite hating the current xpac theme, the game I love is still under there.

Quote Originally Posted by m777 View Post
    your point ??? i taught we are talking about world of warcraft not warcraft 3

and beside warcraft 3 has only 1 or 2 pandas and they do not look as ridiculous as they are in wow....

pandas in world of warcraft are inspired by kong fu panda more then anything
    #
    Pretty sure Pandaren were in development way before kung fu panda came out.

OT: I agree very much

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I can agree that it is very polished. That's why I can't wait for Blizz's next MMO, or any other game they make tbh.

The atmosphere in other MMO's is not the same. Characters feel like they are sliding instead of actually walking. Etc, etc.
    Agreed.

And good for you OP. It's good to have something to hold on to in dark times, even if it's a game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i would agree that its a great game and while it provided me with more than i can count priceless memories its probably not my favorite or best in my opinion.

i too left mid way thru Cata and while my interest is piqued from time to time, when i get a free promotional week i generally log on the first day and then thats it.

anyways, good game, remembered fondly and is definitely i'd say top 5 game ive played thus far in my gaming life.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    #
    Pretty sure Pandaren were in development way before kung fu panda came out.

OT: I agree very much
    source ?

pandas in warcraft 3 were not goofy looking and did not punch and use fists with weird clumsy animations

now the Monk panda in wow is much more like Kong fu panda clumsy panda fighting in martial arts and ninja style like nartuo or some anime style