Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Or ban guns? Seriously how many school shootings do you hear about in Europe
    Sure, we'll go right ahead and ban hundreds of millions of guns and the problem will go away, I don't see how that possibly couldn't work. And I'm sure even the gangs, mafia, drug cartels and criminals of all sorts that people could just buy firearms from will go 'Okay, here, have our illegal guns too!' Also, Europe has it's fair share of shootings.

As sad as it is, it's probably gotten to the point where this may not be a bad idea. I'm 100% for much stricter gun-control laws but the solution for this...problem... isn't simple, though the problem is: crappy parents that shouldn't have children in the first place are raising crappy children.

The report, written by the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training (ALERRT) Center at Texas State University, will be published next week in the “FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin,” a training publication for criminal justice professionals.

http://news.yahoo.com/spike-in-mass-...132625638.html
    This dynamic course of instruction is designed to prepare the first responder to isolate, distract, and neutralize an "active shooter."

http://alerrt.org/

Sounds like a case where the study confirms what people who pay for it want to hear.

However, it's hard to compromise with people that think private firearm sales without background checks is a good thing.
    Any private citizen who wishes to conduct a background check on a person who is buying a firearm from them can already do one.

Making it mandatory does not make it enforceable. Acting like it's not possible to do a background check on a private sale does not reinforce the necessity to make them mandatory by law.

If I've lived next to my good buddy John for 10 years and I want to sell him my pistol, I would think that living next to him for 10 years would give me a better insight to his character and ability to responsibly own a firearm than a background check. Likewise, I'm pretty sure if I had a firearm to sell, I wouldn't be looking for shady criminals to sell it to.

There are a lot of things in life that only require common sense. Paperwork isn't necessary for everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    The same thing that stops cops going on shooting sprees.
    Nothing? Law enforcement officers killed 300 people last year and almost 600 the year before that. A random American citizen is considerably more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist attack. Leaving aside the question of what percentage of killings by police are justified or unjustified (which people are likely to differ on greatly), the key point I made earlier remains: mass shootings (or any form of mass murder) is a far, far less dangerous threat than preventable health problems, pollution and contamination, and auto accidents. Anyone advocating massive changes in spending and policy in response to school shootings and similar incidents is pushing an agenda, and obviously does not have the best interests of the public in mind. (At best, they're engaging in security theater.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

it was written by Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training, they have an interest in getting more armed people in schools..they train them, so any findings will be heavily biased. always look at who did the study.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Also, Europe has it's fair share of shootings.
    It doesn't though, that's the scary thing. We have barely any as an entire continent of twice the population, when compared to the USA.

One thing pro gun people seem to think (or fence sitters but ex pro-guns at least) is that anti-gun people imagine that at the flip of a switch with "banning" them like in Europe, the problem will be fixed. I can guarantee you, people don't think like that. It will take decades until a good chunk of the guns are out of public hands, and that'd be achieved by police raids or amnesties in the general population or simply some falling into disrepair. The first step in reducing the amount of guns is to simply stop selling them. And from there, you can go on to very slowly fix the issue.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Europe has it's fair share of shootings.
    We established it doesn't on page 1

of course they are..people come into contact with police all the time. it massively skews data. like most accidents happen in the home; because you spend most of the time there. you're much, much, more likely to have a good interaction with police than terrorists.

it was written by Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training, they have an interest in getting more armed people in schools..they train them, so any findings will be heavily biased. always look at who did the study.
    How so?

The study itself is fact based. They looked at actual data from live shooting events. They didn't call 3,000 select people and ask them leading questions to get the data they were looking for.

The controls they used were: active shootings in public settings where the primary motive appeared to be mass murder and at least one of the victims was unrelated to the suspect. Shootings during crimes such as bank robberies, drug deals, and gang violence were excluded.

If your agenda is to make schools safer, then I guess that's a bias of sorts. Otherwise, I just don't see the bias.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Making it mandatory does not make it enforceable.
    Right, I agree. But making it mandatory, and giving law enforcement proper resources would make it enforceable.

But that's really beside the point. Every single purchase/transfer of firearms should be subject to a background check. I don't care if it's little Johnny getting his fathers rifle. That transfer needs a background check. Firearms are special items, and should be treated as such.

If I've lived next to my good buddy John for 10 years and I want to sell him my pistol, I would think that living next to him for 10 years would give me a better insight to his character and ability to responsibly own a firearm than a background check.
    That's great. So judge his character, and get a background check. Maybe John forgot to tell you that he committed a firearm offense 11 years ago. It's not something people brag about. Plus, not all private sales and transfers are between good friends. A lot occur between strangers.

It's a background check. What's the big deal? They're practically instant.
    Eat yo vegetables

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Now compare populations.
    800 million people in Europe compared to 330 million people in the US? And yet the US has far more school shootings? What's your point again?

I find that pretty sad to think we need security in schools why can't we all just have a group hug?

It's a pretty terrible idea, considering. Sure, school shootings are terrible, but don't the media just love 'em? Crying kids to film, weeping parents... Really pull in the viewing figures. They're on the same level as a terrorist attack, plucking the heartstrings of the nation. But if you're a parent there are far bigger things to worry about than a lunatic who hasn't taken his meds and stolen his mummy's gun collection.

School Shootings: Killed 94 people in the United States, between June 07 and Now.

Refusal of vaccinations: Killed 1299 people in the United States, between June 07 and Now.

Traffic accidents: 1600 per year = ~10,400 since June 07.

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.co...ount/Home.html

http://www.asirt.org/initiatives/inf...tatistics.aspx

More guns in schools won't fix it. If anything you'll get more deaths as twitchy guards start shooting people who look suspicious. Before you know it some distraught parent, rushing into school to collect their child after an upsetting event is gunned down in the hallway. The media will love that too. Best case scenario, is a gunman gets taken down after killing 10 kids rather than 30. Nothing can prevent it. These people are aiming for suicide by cop, a news spectacular. Look at the Middle East. Armed guards everywhere. Suicide bombings every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Now compare populations.
    The population of all of Europe is over 2x that of America, which means the percentage of school shootings compared to America is exceedingly low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You don't need to make all guns disappear just become stricter and change the ridiculous outdated notion that you need guns. Could take 20 years but isn't that better than brushing it under the carpet
    Hate to break this to you, but a decent number of people in rural American do need guns. Hiking in grizzly country without being "loaded for bear" is neither safe nor responsible. Guns are also decent protection against mountain lions, rattlesnakes, and in recent years, wolves. I'm glad to see wolves making a comeback, but do not want to argue with a pack over who gets to eat the elk I just shot. And yes, guns are used for hunting - not just for sport but for the table. I won't say I've ever known anyone who would have literally starved without hunting, but a deer and an elk in the freezer can definitely free up some cash for Christmas. They're also extremely useful for dealing with varmits.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

and it doesnt even take a study to know that you shouldnt let any person be able to just buy a gun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Hate to break this to you, but a decent number of people in rural American do need guns. Hiking in grizzly country without being "loaded for bear" is neither safe nor responsible. Guns are also decent protection against mountain lions, rattlesnakes, and in recent years, wolves. I'm glad to see wolves making a comeback, but do not want to argue with a pack over who gets to eat the elk I just shot. And yes, guns are used for hunting - not just for sport but for the table. I won't say I've ever known anyone who would have literally starved without hunting, but a deer and an elk in the freezer can definitely free up some cash for Christmas. They're also extremely useful for dealing with varmits.
    And? They would still have guns. However America isn't a wilderness now, you're talking about less than 10%

15 school shootings in Europe from 1990 - present With over 2x the population of the states and much better gun regulation.

137 school shootings in America from 1990 - present

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morgromir View Post
    and it doesnt even take a study to know that you shouldnt let any person be able to just buy a gun
    "but it's my right!" is what they say...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Ok I'll give you the wild animals but rattlesnakes wtf that seems like an overreaction.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    More guns in schools won't fix it. If anything you'll get more deaths as twitchy guards start shooting people who look suspicious. Before you know it some distraught parent, rushing into school to collect their child after an upsetting event is gunned down in the hallway. The media will love that too. Best case scenario, is a gunman gets taken down after killing 10 kids rather than 30. Nothing can prevent it. These people are aiming for suicide by cop, a news spectacular. Look at the Middle East. Armed guards everywhere. Suicide bombings every day.
    There are already thousands of schools with police officers stationed at them, has been for many years.

Where are all these cases of police officers shooting kids at school?