Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Breast Augmentation Ends in Tragedy

A year after Linda Pérez fell into a coma following breast augmentation surgery, she is living at home with her parents and is under 24-hour nursing care. She can’t walk and can speak only a few words.

Her mother, Mariela Diaz, says her daughter no longer needs a feeding tube, is slowly making progress and has experienced small victories, such as moving her feet.

However, she says doctors don’t know if her daughter will ever fully recover. Pérez suffered brain damage in the hour after her surgery.

Pérez’s problems began shortly after the end of her breast augmentation operation in August at the Coral Gables Cosmetic Center.

A report from her doctor, Jacob Freiman, sent to the Florida Department of Health, explained that the anesthetist, Mario Alberto Diaz, told him Pérez 's heart rate was “very low” and he had to give her atropine and chest compressions to keep her alive.

Just over an hour after the operation finished, Pérez was rushed to the emergency room at Mercy Hospital.

Freiman is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He has no history of malpractice complaints.

However, the anesthesiologist Mario Alberto Diaz was sentenced to 30 months in prison and two years’ probation in Iowa for providing drugs illegally. The Florida Board of Medicine suspended him for six months and found that for a year he should be supervised in the performance of his work.
    But there's a twist...

Kubs Lalchandani, who is representing the medical center, said he could not comment on the case because of privacy laws, but said he has requested Pérez’s medical records from Mercy Hospital to carry out his own investigation into what happened.

In his report, Freiman said Pérez was told by a doctor that her daughter had suffered a similar incident when she gave birth to her son.

“They put a spinal anesthetic, and she needed to be intubated,” Freiman wrote in his report — information he says was kept from him to get him to perform the cosmetic surgery.
    source

Obviously surgery should never be taken lightly. Do you believe procedures such as this one are worth the risks? What causes a young and beautiful person to want to mutilate... I meant augment, their body?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We have a bunch of redneck yahoos that like to set them off in the cul de sac where I live, and 60% of their shit ends up in our yard or on our house. Not infracted
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    We have a bunch of obnoxious wetbacks that like to play their mariachi music where I live and nearly all their family ends up parking in our yard. Infracted

Uh... what part of her current condition has to do with the breast implants, exactly?

Deleted
    That's incredibly sad, but all procedures carry risks, she unfortunately made the decision to go for a cosmetic surgery.

I won't post my views of augmentation, as it largely doesn't bother me; However a persons mind can be a curious thing, it often is a crucial part of how they perceive themselves and may help restore confidence if the woman was a few sizes larger.

Of course, that statement holds true for a minority of those seeking it.

But nonetheless, i don't think we can judge the "Worth" of a procedure like this without being in the woman's shoes.

as someone who would much rather see tiny chests over huge breasts, I say this can only be configured as a double tragedy:

1 - the woman was left in that state;

2 - small breasts are perceived as something that needs to be "fixed" with surgery.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanity has consequences. Perhaps she shouldnt have been so vain

Deleted
    Surprising how diffrent she looks, sad to hear though. If it's worth it? I guess it is for some people who are unhappy with their body.
    Also these situations aren't really something to be scared of or so i think, it's like getting a heart attack or die from taking 1 paracetamohl, very unlikely but possible yet no one seems to care.

I see the before and after pictures and think "surgery was worth it." Chest looks better.

So long as all risks are known ahead of time and the person is of sound mind, I don't have any problem with the procedure.

It's always unfortunate when something goes wrong, and if the doctors were hiding anything then they need to be held responsible and accountable for that, but in general I don't see anything wrong with a person wanting to modify how they look.

I also don't see any philosophical difference between procedures like this, wearing stylish/fashionable clothing for the sake of looking good or impressing others, wearing makeup, wearing jewelry for the sake of appearance, or exercising/dieting because you want to look good. Each of those has far lesser risk in general, and may be done for other reasons (for example, you could be exercising or dieting for the sake of being healthier instead of for the sake of looking good), but the fact that cosmetic surgery has a higher risk factor than makeup doesn't change the fact that they're both done for changing the way you look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I see the before and after pictures and think "surgery was worth it." Chest looks better.
    Damn, that was dark! xD

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tragic, but I've seen more than one case of this.

I agree with banana to be honest. When I first saw her, I saw the tattoos and piercings. Of course it's incredibly sad to see a change like that but worse things happen to better people.

As for the surgery concept, it's always risky and I wouldn't go under unless it was a necessary procedure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Honestly? Shes 18 with a kid, best answer is idiocy. Sure you can try blaming it on worldwide body image stereotypes and all that other shite but when it comes down to it, you are the one going to the scalpal, if you arent smart enough to realise that big tits arent going to solve your problems then you wont ever be.

Sounds like she had a shit upbringing, some sympathy is due, but this tragedy could have been so easily avoided by some common sense.

The Doctors also deserve some punishment for being absolutely terrible at their jobs.
    The article stated the doctors were denied a key piece of information that they probably would have denied surgery based on. So id place more the onus on the girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Vanity has consequences. Perhaps she shouldnt have been so vain

Wow, that's cold. Just.. shame on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally worth it.

Stupid girl / parents not giving enough info to doctors.
    More news at 11.

Deleted
    Every Surgery no matter how "minor" has risks, what disgusts me is some of the replies here though.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Uh... what part of her current condition has to do with the breast implants, exactly?
    Read the story.
    She had surgery but the medication/drugs she got weren't correct or something, which made her vitals drop and I assume her brain got oxygen starved which caused brain damage which left her in this state. Hasn't got anything to do with breast implants but risks of surgery (and bad medical team), every surgery comes with risks but cosmetic surgeries are often not needed to be healthy. One can argue that a person can be clinically ill from low self esteem but honestly I think that's a BS excuse.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    So she wanted water bags in her tits and this happens. Its a retarded concept to begin with and in this case it went from being a stupid idea to a tragic mistake. Look at it, remember it, learn from it. Life is tough and natural selection is cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Every Surgery no matter how "minor" has risks, what disgusts me is some of the replies here though.

I concur. The blatant apathy here is reaching critical mass.

As a woman with a... heavy chest, all the girls whining that they want their bigger are nuts. Breasts are HEAVY. They strain your shoulders and back, especially back. Bras only help so much. That's the only reason I frown on augmentation, the surgery itself is bad enough but now you're gonna strain your back too, all because society pressures you to feel you are nothing without them.