Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Relationships in MMOs

Hey there!
    This is my first post so I thought I'd try and start a discussion as I'm really interested in social issues within MMOs.
    Has anyone ever had a relationship in-game? Did you meet up with them? Did it work out?

Izz

10+ Year Old Account
    Tons of posts on this BTW.. but since youre new here.
    Yes I met my fiance in WoW and she moved across the country to be with me, were getting married when she finishes her BA degree. So yes it worked out so far,as we have known each other 3 years, 2 of which we have been together in person.

I've had two - one of them he moved in with me for a couple of months but things didn't work out between us and he moved out.
    The other one we were together for around a year and a half, him in Holland and me in England. The distance wasn't so much the problem, but things changed between us and personal things got in the way.
    I don't frown upon online relationships at all - and I think if you like that person and want to be with them, good luck to you.
    I just warn people to be careful if they're going to be meeting up with someone they've never met before - I always took a friend or my mum.

Deleted
    Nope, never, But I have noticed that raiding guilds in which spouses are guild Officers are usually pretty shit and full of drama. I quit my raid team recently because the GM gave away my spot as main tank to his undergeared wife (ilvl 495) and made me go DPS even though I despise the role and only had tank gear. She lasted 30 seconds into the pull before she died and everyone was blamed for it but her, I spoke to him about it after the guild and he told me that his wife would always come first.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Nope, never, But I have noticed that raiding guilds in which spouses are guild Officers are usually pretty shit and full of drama. I quit my raid team recently because the GM gave away my spot as main tank to his undergeared wife (ilvl 495) and made me go DPS even though I despise the role and only had tank gear. She lasted 30 seconds into the pull before she died and everyone was blamed for it but her, I spoke to him about it after the guild and he told me that his wife would always come first.
    Did he meet her online? Seems semi irrelevant.

Anywho, OT, yes. In fact, he's coming to visit me in a week. We've met several times, and our families have been involved from the start. My mom also met my stepdad in a MMO, and I have two little sisters now.
    "You are not a body; you do not have a soul. You have a body; you are a soul."
    ~C.S. Lewis

I was propositioned for some romancing by a hormone-crazed teenager when he learned I lived nearby. I had to unfortunately give him the bad news that I was male, and that my character's gender does not necessarily reflect my gender.

He proceeded to rage at me in whisper, but I think it was because he secretly still wanted it.
    Call me Cassandra

Deleted
    I ran into a very nice guy a couple months ago, we're meeting irl in a month from now! I'm super excited! I live in The Netherlands and he in the UK, but that's not a problem, plane tickets are cheap and it's fast

He applied to my guild a few months ago, the first thing I noticed was how we shared so many hobbies. We appeared to have much more in common and started chatting on facebook, later we shared phone numbers and now we're skyping every day and meeting up later too!

I do agree with rich here about officers having relationships. I'm a raid leader in my guild, but I won't put my bf above any raider during raids.

Deleted
    Cheers for the replies guys! I was thinking about writing an article about this matter because of how interesting and unorthodox finding love in games really is.
    I've never done it myself but I've heard of dozens of people who have met in-game.
    Why do you think this happens so much?
    I have my own theories such as having a huge hobby in common and people find that they can open up more because of the anonymity but I'd be really interested to know what you guys think

10+ Year Old Account
    Met my wife in-game 9 years ago, dated for 5 and a bit years before we married. We lived only a few hours away so that is why it worked. I wouldn't go with it happens a lot; however, you build relationships with these people online and I can see why anonymity may cause someone to open up more. I know that our fallback conversation in the beginning would be the game, so the hobby thing was definitely a catalyst and added strength. Once I learned more about her, the game became more background, but yea.

I dated someone whom I met via the internet (not over WoW specifically) who lived ~7 hours away.
    It worked for about 6 months (we had ~week long stays at each others residence 4 times in that period) and it worked well.
    The main reason for the relationship ending was our age (19 and 17) and other factors, but I do not believe it was the distance
    Smitus of <Solace>, previously of <SNF>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzwald View Post
    Has anyone ever had a relationship in-game? Did you meet up with them? Did it work out?
    Yes. Yes. Very no.

Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    I ran into a very nice guy a couple months ago, we're meeting irl in a month from now! I'm super excited! I live in The Netherlands and he in the UK, but that's not a problem, plane tickets are cheap and it's fast
    Snip
    Been there and done that, but the opposite way - he was in NL . It is very cheap, especially if you book more than a month advance (we didn't haha, still only £100 a return!), and it is fast. Although that depends where he/you live, as it took around 5 - 6 hours of travelling either way for us, but that was basically because of trains to airport and the waiting

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope and knowing my luck I probably never will, a successful one at least. I actually prefer meeting someone in real life rather than online but I'm open to try out an online relationship as long we get to actually meet each other at some point. Also it probably wouldn't work out if we didn't see any pictures of ourselves so I would need some pics or it won't happen.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    You know... Call me old fashioned but that seems like a horrible idea with some potentially unsavory consequences. I'm sure there are some success stories out there, but everything I've heard off has just been laughable and cringe worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzwald View Post
    Yes, no, NOPE. Twice. Never again.

Deleted
    Does roleplaying relationships count?

10+ Year Old Account
    I met my other half in WoW. Went to see her because her PC broke. We just had our four-year anniversary.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

I've never understood how desperate one has to be to take the chance at an online relationship.

Warning, please don't insult people. Some have found their luck through it, there's nothing about being desperate.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-03-22 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Does roleplaying relationships count?
    ic!=ooc

ten chars

Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    Tons of posts on this BTW.. but since youre new here.
    Yes I met my fiance in WoW and she moved across the country to be with me, were getting married when she finishes her BA degree. So yes it worked out so far,as we have known each other 3 years, 2 of which we have been together in person.
    This is what people should think of when the topic is brought up. This kind of thing is awesome and wonderful. Not some silly childish online-only "relationship". If you call them your SO but have never been with each other in person any significant amount of time nor plan to, then you're delusional at best...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.