Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should WoW be subscription-less during expansion gaps?

I think it could be a good opportunity to deter players from freezing accounts on top of attracting newcomers. It would be a nice, temporary trial for those who haven't experienced level 20+ content.

It just isn't financially justifiable for me to continue playing WoW throughout content droughts. IMO, dropping the sub fee for expansion gaps would be worth the revenue loss in the long run.

EDIT: Valid points. My opinion has shifted but I the initial expansion cost on top of the sub-fee is ridiculous. Why can't expansion release months be sub-less?
    Last edited by TheLegalDanish; 2014-08-15 at 12:41 PM.

Stuff and people needs to get paid. They wouldn't be able to do it with 5 mounts in shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe some free weekends but not all the time as there would be so many more bots.

Would the loss of sub fees for 3 months really be that detrimental to the company?

Think of the resources poured into the cinematic, what purpose does it serve, albeit awesomely, outside promoting the game? Yet millions were spent on it. Now consider Blizzard removing the subscription for 3 months as part of a promotion...

I think it could easily prove a profitable move.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegalDanish View Post
    II think it could be a good opportunity to deter players from freezing accounts on top of attracting newcomers. It would be a nice, temporary trial for those who haven't experienced level 20+ content.

It just isn't financially justifiable for me to continue playing WoW throughout content droughts. IMO, dropping the sub fee for expansion gaps would be worth the revenue loss in the long run.
    So essentially you just don't want to pay but are trying to disguise that as "it's good for the game"?

I think it could be a good opportunity to deter players from freezing accounts
    What is the difference between freezing accounts and not having to pay? Ah yes, NOTHING. So this has no benefit for the company.

on top of attracting newcomers. It would be a nice, temporary trial for those who haven't experienced level 20+ content.
    Coming into this game when everyone is either doing endgame or nothing, is not a good time to start. No guild will take you through all the content now, so new players are stranded.

It just isn't financially justifiable for me to continue playing WoW throughout content droughts.
    That's your problem, not Blizzard's. If there's nothing left you want to do, quit playing. Simple.

IMO, dropping the sub fee for expansion gaps would be worth the revenue loss in the long run.
    I see no reason why it would be worth it and you haven't given any either. Going free will do the same as having people leave, so there's no use.

If we're looking at 6 million accounts at 15 bucks a month that's 270million for the 3 months. Obviously with non-standard options we could take it down to half, that's still 135million dollars you're asking them to "give up".

People still return regardless of playing for 3 months or taking a break for that long.

What exactly is the point of this? It may be true that many people unsub during the tier/expansion gaps, but many more don't (how many players has WoW lost during SoO tier? 500k? 6 million more are still playing and paying...). Removing sub for the duration of said gaps would make Blizzard lose tons of money for pretty much nothing in return. Do you really think people that unsub would still play the game if they didn't have to pay? I think they unsub because they just don't have anything left to do. And what exactly would Blizzard gain if they removed the sub?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

i think that i would rather have blizzard use that money and make good stuff ... and thats the main problem. People are not confident in Blizz and this company uses only a small portion of the money to make the game better .....

10+ Year Old Account
    How dare you suggest that Blizzard make less money for a while. The Blizzard Defense Force will show you the error of your ways.

At the very least buying the expansion should grant you a free month... People are expected to pay up front for a content package, and then a sub-fee for a half-year drought... classic Activision influence.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it shouldn't.

I can go with some bonus weekends or such but else, no.

Reason is, players see gaps differently.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yeah I'm sure some players love gaps but that doesn't excuse a complete lack of content...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    How dare you suggest that Blizzard make less money for a while. The Blizzard Defense Force will show you the error of your ways.
    because it's too much to expect people to use common sense and take personal responsibility about what they spend their money on?

Yeah I'm sure some players love gaps but that doesn't excuse a complete lack of content...
    Nothing excuses the size of this gap in content, but you have no control over that and to be honest it's nothing new (although this one is longer) but you know what you do control?

How you spend your money.

At the very least buying the expansion should grant you a free month... People are expected to pay up front for a content package, and then a sub-fee for a half-year drought... classic Activision influence.
    How is this Activision influence if Activision bought Blizzard in 2008, same year that WotLK was released, which means Blizzard released 2 expansions that didn't provide another free month on it's own? But you're right, it's true that new xpacs SHOULD grant that free month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    but you know what you do control?

How you spend your money.
    Believe it or not I'm aware of that and my account is currently frozen. I think people are largely underestimating the interest a subscription-less period could garner. Again, at the very least new expansion purchases should include a free month...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    How is this Activision influence if Activision bought Blizzard in 2008, same year that WotLK was released, which means Blizzard released 2 expansions that didn't provide another free month on it's own? But you're right, it's true that new xpacs SHOULD grant that free month.
    Good call, I still think the merge represented a major shift in terms of WoW's development and direction.

While they eliminate subscriptions they should also cease maintaining the game and servers. I mean, if you don't think they should get any revenue during that time I don't see how it's fair that they should spend capital to maintain servers that aren't generating any income. A few months with no maintenance will be just fine, right?

From Blizzard's point of view this makes no sense whatsoever if you cancel your sub they receive nothing from you under this proposal they would still receive nothing from you but would also receive nothing from those who had no intention of cancelling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    While they eliminate subscriptions they should also cease maintaining the game and servers. I mean, if you don't think they should get any revenue during that time I don't see how it's fair that they should spend capital to maintain servers that aren't generating any income. A few months with no maintenance will be just fine, right?
    They could just use some of the massive profits they make? Oh and Blizzard do not maintain the servers just to be nice to us

Actually I just thought that could be on to something imagine the server transfer income when people find that their server is just broken.
    Last edited by Pann; 2014-08-15 at 01:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just unsubscribe. What would keep everyone from joining up during the free months and not playing during the months you would have to play? You've just made the game free.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    It just isn't financially justifiable for me to continue playing WoW throughout content droughts.
    And you don't have to.