Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A Swiss hotel asks Jewish guests to shower before entering the pool

(CNN)A Swiss hotel has been accused of anti-Semitism after a manager reportedly posted signs instructing Jewish guests to shower before using its pool.

"To our Jewish guests, women, men and children, please take a shower before you go swimming," one sign said. "If you break the rules I'm forced to cloes (sic) the swimming pool for you."
    Another sign in the kitchen addressed to "our Jewish guests" said the hotel's freezer would only be available from 10 to 11 a.m. and from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. "I hope you understand that our team does not like being disturbed all the time," it read.
    Guests spotted the placards at the Paradies hotel in the Swiss resort village of Arosa. The news of the signs spread quickly after an outraged guest posted a picture to Facebook.
    Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely called the incident "an anti-Semitic act of the worst and ugliest kind" and demanded the person who posted the signs "be brought to justice."
    Former Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni strongly condemned the placards -- while also alluding to last weekend's white supremacist rally in Virginia. "There is no place in the free world for Nazi flags, Ku Klux Klan masks, or disgusting notices in hotels that are aimed at Jews alone."
    An Israeli guest told CNN affiliate Channel 2 that the hotel manager was nice to his family upon their arrival, and so they were shocked to find the posted signs. "No one addressed her because we didn't want to start a confrontation," he said, noting the hotel had many Jewish guests, mostly from the United States, the UK and Belgium.
    "It was very strange and the sort of anti-Semitic incident we have not been exposed to before," he said.
    Can you believe this?

Swiss hotel left this message to Jewish guests: "Please take a shower before you go swimming"https://t.co/9fgbgoCR9t pic.twitter.com/qERuKjB9My

— Jewish News (@JewishNewsUK) August 14, 2017
    Paradies hotel manager Ruth Thomann did not respond to CNN's calls for comment. However, Thomann defended herself to Swiss media, saying she is not anti-Semitic.
    Thomann told the Swiss newspaper Blick she was trying to address the issue of guests not showering before they used the pool during a period where many Jewish guests were staying at the hotel.
    "I made the sign without sensitivity and now I am paying for it dearly," she told Blick.
    She also said the sign limiting the use of the freezer was misunderstood, and that she was only trying to help hotel staff. "As a service we offer to our Jewish guests, they can store their kosher food in our (staff) freezer," she said.
    Thomann said she posted the sign to limit guests' use of the freezer and to allow staff more privacy, according to Blick.
    The signs have since been removed, a representative with the Israeli Embassy in Switzerland said in a statement.

It's spreading, like a disease. You're just enabling them now.

Quote Originally Posted by caralhoPT View Post
    It's spreading, like a disease. You're just enabling them now.
    As it gets slammed by everyone and the sign gets removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    As it gets slammed by everyone and the sign gets removed.
    Doesn't take precedence over the fact...

Deleted
    The only problem I see here is Jewish people taking the signs out of context and then crying about it.

Deleted
    Sounds like some Rothschild conspiracy - force them to shower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, when you put up signs telling a single racial or religious group to do or not do something, it very easily comes off as "racism" or "prejudice."

Who knew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    The only problem I see here is Jewish people taking the signs out of context and then crying about it.
    ...the signs aimed specifically at Jewish people telling them that they had to or could not do something?

That they felt were unjust because the signs told them specifically that they had to or could not do something?

The signs themselves had no context implicit, so it's pretty damn hard to "take it out of context" when the signs were the only context provided, until the hotel owner explained how badly they cocked up afterwards.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

ok, i can buy the freezer explanation.

but i don't buy the shower one. it was addressed specifically to jews, if it was intended for guests in general, it wouldn't have been written in such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by caralhoPT View Post
    Doesn't take precedence over the fact...
    It's not really a fact if it's getting shut down everywhere it tries to surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    ...the signs aimed specifically at Jewish people telling them that they had to or could not do something?

That they felt were unjust because the signs told them specifically that they had to or could not do something?

The signs themselves had no context implicit, so it's pretty damn hard to "take it out of context" when the signs were the only context provided, until the hotel owner explained how badly they cocked up afterwards.
    Guess what? Being Jewish doesn't exempt you from being told to not do things. I would have taken no issue if I went to a Hotel, with a high influx of English guests with signs saying "To our English guests, please avoid putting your fish and chips in the freezer at specific times and shower before using the pool"

But I guess I'm not thin skinned like Israelis seem to be.

The sign doesn't even spell "close" right, cloes.

Would it be more acceptable if they said "To our foreign guests" verses Jewish? If they are accustomed to only one type of visitor there, does it matter that they address them by their race/religion?
    Last edited by Typhoria; 2017-08-17 at 04:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see why they couldn't have just addressed it to "all guests" I mean...I'd like everyone to shower before entering the pool. It's not a bathroom.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely called the incident "an anti-Semitic act of the worst and ugliest kind" and …
    Seriously? I can think of at least one kind that's way worse. It too involved showers, albeit of a slightly different sort, and happened quite a few decades ago now.

This is blowing a small issue way out of proportion.
    Well excuuuse me, Princess.

You are now breathing manually.

Disgusting.

Seeing your username also reminded me that we have a hotel in our own country, Portugal, with odd discriminatory practices. Like barring the following people:
    -soccer fans
    -music festival goers
    -homosexuals
    -drug addicts
    Don't know how they have a business, since they're ruling out most of our population lmao. I've felt tempted to leave a flaming turd at their door step, since they are kinda near where I live. É do caralho ahaha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess what? Being Jewish doesn't exempt you from being told to not do things.
    Yeah, but they weren't telling EVERYONE to do or not do them, they were specifically telling Jewish people to do and not do them.

The sign could have read "to our guests, please shower before entering the pool" or "to our guests, please do not use the staff freezer from X to Y time"

But it didn't say that. Hence the outrage.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol. At my old restaurant, gypsies would wash our silverware in our fountain. People.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess what? Being Jewish doesn't exempt you from being told to not do things. I would have taken no issue if I went to a Hotel, with a high influx of English guests with signs saying "To our English guests, please avoid putting your fish and chips in the freezer at specific times and shower before using the pool"

But I guess I'm not thin skinned like Israelis seem to be.
    You wouldn't feel prejudiced because "English" isn't an ethnic identity, not to mention the scores of other things you ignore to try and make your rhetoric work.

But then again, you seem to be being intentionally obtuse so this way probably wasted time on my part.

Well the sign should have just said guests, instead of Jewish guests. Doesn't matter if it was intentional or not, I wouldn't blame anyone for getting upset over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    You wouldn't feel prejudiced because "English" isn't an ethnic identity, not to mention the scores of other things you ignore to try and make your rhetoric work.

But then again, you seem to be being intentionally obtuse so this way probably wasted time on my part.
    Yes it is. And no, I didn't ignore anything. This is a case of Israeli people pulling out the "Anti-Semitic" card just because someone used the word "Jewish" and then told Jewish people they can't do whatever they want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yeah, but they weren't telling EVERYONE to do or not do them, they were specifically telling Jewish people to do and not do them.

The sign could have read "to our guests, please shower before entering the pool" or "to our guests, please do not use the staff freezer from X to Y time"

But it didn't say that. Hence the outrage.
    Because it was refering to the influx of new Jewish guests, who happened to have particular habits the Hotel wanted to refer them on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Important context is missing.

I would guess that main perpetrators of this rule were Jewish guests, manager didn't wanted to spell names of those who don't shower before going to a swimming pool (like, really? You don't? Are you living in a fucking cave or something, you nasty piece of shit), but did wanted to specify that he is already pissed off by this attitude of some guests.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Well the sign should have just said guests, instead of Jewish guests. Doesn't matter if it was intentional or not, I wouldn't blame anyone for getting upset over it.
    Why blame everyone for doings of few ones? It's obviously a hasty made up sign (A4 format printed piece of paper with a typo, probably), so this occurrence is either extremely rare, or someone deliberately breaks the rules just to get outrage
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You're also not part of a group with a history of persecution. So your argument is pretty fucking weak here.
    So that justifies Jewish people from crying Antisemitism at everything?