Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I was against private servers, and still am, since they are stealing and damaging Blizzard's IP.
    Technically yes. But I have a hard time caring. Blizzard are a billion dollar corporation, they can look after themselves. They aren't really damaged by services which bear no relation to the modern retail game.

It didn't go from anything to anything. I've always from day one said that a lot of the people who think they want it (who don't already play it on a private server) will log in, play for a week and realize how hard, inconsistent and grindy it is, and log out. Vanilla obviously was the foundation WoW today was built upon but it wasn't all butterflies and roses like people seem to reminisce about. Most of the nostalgia people have for it is because the entire game, and its premise, were entirely new to them back then. They won't be able to get that feeling back. In any mmorpg they play, really. Other than Everquest, WoW was the only mmorpg that really became popular and introduced people to the genre as a whole. It was fresh and new and exciting and you truly felt like a tiny explorer in a vast world. That feeling is never coming back because by now everyone's used to what an mmorpg IS.

I understand there's a decent chunk of people who legitimately want this, but I am positive most of the people who still play WoW currently on live will abhor it when they actually try it. It'll take them a month or more to hit max level and once they get there they will spends months more just farming enough resistance gear to even think about taking down a boss. Then once they have that gear they will realize the only difficulty of said boss comes from the need for the gear and not the fight itself, which will have a total of maybe 3 mechanics.

I would never shut someone down for their opinion, and people can love and play Classic if they want. But I hope people are approaching it from a realistic point of view instead of thinking it's going to be something it never really was.
    Last edited by Servasus; 2017-11-09 at 09:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    So it goes from "No one wants this" to "Blizz would never do this" to "People wont like it"

Every time they are proven wrong they just change their argument. Why do these people dislike vanilla so much?
    They don't dislike Vanilla, they dislike people that do. Most of them are blinded by nostalgia and keep barking how much Vanilla was better/harder (it wasn't) to players who don't wanna hear about it. It's a different game than it is now, get over yourself. I actually can't wait for most of them to be sorely disappointed with the classic servers & quitting after a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Technically yes. But I have a hard time caring. Blizzard are a billion dollar corporation, they can look after themselves. They aren't really damaged by services which bear no relation to the modern retail game.
    I don't really care either, it's just I'm generally against the idea of them. It's like pirating. I don't really care that people do it, but if you ask do I support it, I say no.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

People who dislike vanilla at least are honest, what about these "I want vanilla servers but only if I can unlock old school mounts and transmogs from there to my current retail account and if vanilla has 50 different QOL improvements that removes all the hassles vanilla was about", I'm really disappointed people first wanted vanilla in its purest form, and when Blizzard finally promises it, they start going on about "but what's the incentive to play it".

I do hope for the vanilla fan community sake this whole process works, and the true incentive to play vanilla was to play vanilla, not to skip sub fee on private servers and whatnot. Blizzard dedicates resources to it, maybe taking talented devs away from other projects. The vanilla community pleaded, and got their wish finally granted. Why aren't they extatic and we get all these "I want to play vanilla but... if..." instead?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    They won't be able to get that feeling back.
    Well I played on a private server and I did very much get the feeling back. It is extremely immersive. I liked that.

So it goes from "No one wants this" to "Blizz would never do this" to "People wont like it"

Every time they are proven wrong they just change their argument. Why do these people dislike vanilla so much?
    You think you do but you don't is still just as true.
    Blizzard just wants the PR.

I dont really like to keep living in the past. Thats my whole motto I learn to accept change and not complain about it (some of the time lol).

I just wanna see the vanilla crowd put their money where their mouth is.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

The toxicity from the Classic crowd made people harbor negative feelings towards the whole concept. You brand people "Anti-Vanilla" on arbitrary grounds and then screech all over forums over and over to keep fueling your anger.

You made your bed, lay down in it.

There's people who played vanilla recently and know they want it.
    There's people who played vanilla recently and realize how wrong they were about how bad vanilla really was so they want changes in Classic.
    There's people who haven't played vanilla in 10 years and think they want it but really don't know what they are getting into cuz they forgot all the bad parts.
    There's people who quit before the game went to shit with cata and they know they will like vanilla if Classic releases correctly and unchanged.
    There's people who play retail and would like to play old content without being overpowered by current design but want to keep the QoL changes.
    There's people who don't care about vanilla and they are not saying anything because they will just play retail as if nothing happened.

Those are just players opinions and perception.

Now here's the facts:
    People asked for vanilla, not modified vanilla.
    Blizzard should release vanilla, not modified vanilla.
    Everyone else should be completely ignored because they aren't even part of this shit, they can join in Classic or stay on retails, those are their options, asking for changes to destroy what people asked for during all this time should not be an acceptable option and be entirely disregarded immediately.

What Blizzard should do to make money?
    Ignore what was first asked and listen to the loudest voices to please as many people as possible even if it's not the right thing to do*.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't have a problem with vanilla WoW, I have a problem with people who think that they have the right to play the game illegally.

As far as 'Blizz would never do this' goes, I was one of the people who said that. I personally asked a dev (who is no longer there) if it was going to happen and his response was "No. Never. Makes zero sense for us because its almost like we're admitting the current game is inferior."

So naturally I figured that was a response that could be taken to the bank. Regardless it isn't the first time they caved to demand and it won't be the last. To people who genuinely want an authentic vanilla experience, I suggest you make more noise than the 'we want these improvements and changes' crowd, lest Blizzard think you are all the same group.

Personally I have zero interest in classic servers. You can't discover things for the first time again no matter how magical it was (or seemed to be). Its like watching an amazing movie for the 2nd/5th/10th time. Yes it is still a quality piece of filmmaking, but now you know every beat, every moment of drama, every death, every catchy line of dialogue.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2017-11-09 at 09:16 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I didn't get into vanilla content at first, then I played on Nostalrius servers and it was actually pretty good. Didn't get far, but I logged a few hours here and there. But honestly I'm so used to all the QoL changes that modern WoW has that I can't see myself playing thru vanilla for a long period of time.

Reading here still seems to get no further then 'I don't like it so no-one should'

I'm sure most people dislike the obnoxious Vanilla preachers.

I don't care about WoW Classic. But I noticed that everyone who keeps going on about it is an absolute dork.

people dont dislike vanilla

people point out valid concerns

whether you agree with them is on you but ignoring them while claiming how vanilla was only sunshines and rainbows without any downsides or plainly wrong designs is beyond retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I personally asked a dev (who is no longer there) if it was going to happen and his response was "No. Never. Makes zero sense for us because its almost like we're admitting the current game is inferior."
    I don't get this 'highlander' mentality. They're just two different games, appealing to different crowds. I personally like both (well ok, let's all agree to pretend WoD never happened), but have no problem with people just liking one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by onesBronson View Post
    I didn't get into vanilla content at first, then I played on Nostalrius servers and it was actually pretty good. Didn't get far, but I logged a few hours here and there. But honestly I'm so used to all the QoL changes that modern WoW has that I can't see myself playing thru vanilla for a long period of time.
    You get use to it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    I'm for Vanilla, but not for the numerous amounts of changes people seem to want now that it was announced. They want a lot of modern day things in Vanilla, thus making it not Vanilla.
    I never got the chance to play Vanilla though I know people that did and I really want to experience it. The only thing I think would need to be changed is any game breaking bugs that had to be patched out (things like the Hakkar Blood Plague), purely because there's no point leaving them in when the devs are aware of them and know how to fix them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

I want to also add part of my frustration toward the "CLASSIC IS SUPERIOR!!!!1!" crowd is that they are most definitely the same people that will grow into adults who refuse to take the time to learn new technology and constantly bitch about how life was "better back then."

Like shut the hell up and adapt and realize that the reason you hate life is because you permanently implanted yourself in the past and live there instead of looking toward the future and building your way toward a better one in the present.

Nostalgia is, and always will be, one of the most unattractive qualities a person can show about themselves. It's fine to look back on memories and smile and acknowledge the good times but if it's literally all you talk/think about and it hinders you from growing as a person and appreciating life in the present, the problem is you and not the rest of the world.