Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What did silithus look like before patch 1.8?

Apparently this zone was revamped, and turned kj to a level 60 solo quest zone and group quest zone.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.8.0

Any screenshot or video of silithus before patch 1.8 or did it simply not exist the way hyjal and Silvermoon didn't?

Deleted
    Wasn't it like just the upper part back then? with some Tauren npc saying "coming soon" or so?

I think the same except there was like no quests, and the map showed the bottom part as a huge zone, which was later scrapped/condensed into what it has been since 1.8

Edit: there's a map of pre-1.8 at the bottom of this page https://wow.gamepedia.com/Silithus.

Edit2: seems like they added Cenarion Hold then too. I never went there before 1.8 on retail so I never saw it; on PServers it was there but only had the quests that were probably at Valor's Rest before (snakes, spider venom and elite scorpion.) I think the twilight guys were there already and the area for Thunderean but I might be wrong. I do remember people wall jumping to the other side of the gate , sometimes falling thru the world and sometimes walking to that large area. If you've ever made your own private server just to put on god mode and see everything back in the day you could go to that area, was basically like I said above, the AQ complex but spread out over a huge mostly empty zone.
    Last edited by JCD000; 2017-11-16 at 02:22 AM.

Deleted
    Scarab Wall was closed with a branchy lock:
    https://imgur.com/a/0VhLJ

Besides the land itself there was not realy anthing. You may had the nightelf base, but thats it. No quests, nothing. It just wasnt finished. But hey, who wanted to be in Silithus? Its a boring zone, even with quests.

It did have a smattering of quests, and was great for grinding up mining. There was another grind to kill twilights for their texts which could be turned in for rep. The killer wasp/ bees/ whatever were tough opponents, however. I remember getting my first ever world drop purple there, which was a big deal back in those days, before purples dropped out the sky and got under your feet. Sold it to a guildie as I couldn't use it.

Edit: Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Twilight's Hammer creatures in Silithus can now be pickpocketed.

So I reckon I do remember the twilight grind, even if a bit jumbled memories.
    Last edited by zinfandel; 2017-11-16 at 04:11 AM.

Interesting that they had the entire AQ area planned to be an outside area. I mean, it was actually there for a while I believe as well. They "finalized" (made it possible to fly over to it) in Cataclysm, but I wonder what the area was originally going to entail. Rather interesting.

Do you think there was the intent to make it like other raids with a dungeon that led to a raid instance? Maybe even a playable outside (non-instanced) area like Blackrock Mountain had leading into the dungeons? All the dungeons released at the beginning of Vanilla that had raids tied to them had the raids in the instance. Even Stratholme was like this originally, but the idea was scrapped for the cooler floating Necropolis idea instead of having it float above the back gate of Stratholme. If you glitch out of bounds and fly over there on retail, you'll even see the untextured Necropolis floating up there and you can use that gate that's normally blocked off with the raid portal.

Personally, I really enjoyed the raids being inside of dungeons. Made the whole area a loot spookier imo. I guess they didn't want to put in the effort when they were familiar with players just getting attuned to the instance and teleporting straight into it. But all of this really gets me wondering about their initial plans for AQ... And a lot of stuff that was scrapped in Vanilla like Northrend and Outland and all of that. It was all planned originally with the level cap going to be at 100 instead of 60. You can read about it somewhere I'm sure. They talked about it for a documentary I believe.

I remember I entered there once while I was fooling around in Tanaris in my 40's. Ran mindlessly through un'goro and into silithus. There was basically nothing, except for some generic scenery. Like if you manage to leave a dungeon without exiting through the portal, and just enter the empty shell of the zone outside
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    We were created by the biblical God.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    There's as much evidence for Santa as for darwinian evolution.
    The irony

the zone had mobs but only a quest or two. Also, the weird world pvp objectives were not present at first (as world pvp was not added until after launch)

No, a lot of you are misremembering, or did not see the zone before they finished it. Prior to the update, there was no cenarion hold, there were no quests, the twilight locations were not in, there were no mobs, and the gate was shut and the gong was absent(or at least, I don't remember seeing it, but it's hard to remember something that wasn't there).

I dinged 60 in Silithus, there were definitely quests there. It was some kind of ruins I dinged in don't really remember would have been 23-Nov-2004 + 19 days played, so before 1.8 by a lot.

There were the scarabs and worms and quests to kill them. I don't think I went to far into the zone before hitting 60 and then prob ported straight to Orgrimmar to new spells!

I think the Twilight Cult dudes were added later. Pretty sure the quest hub wasn't very elaborate like it is now with the swarms of bugs.

This is one of the more interesting subjects about the game. All the unfinished zones and their original plans. If anyone can find the documentary about it I'd appreciate a link.

With the death of tier set bonuses in Bfa, i really hope they end up making new content way down the line and finish up all these old ends they never got around to. And no catch up gear lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    There were a couple of mobs - a few Air Elementals that gave Hydraxian Waterlord rep, and some of the older model of Silithids in the various places (the blue-colored grubs present in the Silithid-related quest in the Barrens) if I recall correctly. None of these mobs were itemized, though; they left unlootable corpses and were exceedingly few and far between. None of the strange worms, spiders, scorpions, or other fauna there now. There were two NPC's at Valor's Rest where Silithus connected to Un'Goro - a Tauren and a Night Elf, but they offered no services and had no interactions I can recall. Cenarion Hold was missing entirely, none of the Twilight encampments were present, no Wind Stones, and no structures to speak of. The gates of Ahn'Qiraj were present but sealed by a golden glow and what looked like some roots - I also remember that the terrain around Ahn'Qiraj was very flat, I don't think you could see anything of note beyond the wall itself (and there may indeed have been nothing at all there much like the Greymane Wall pre-Cata).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Were the Twilight mobs and all those robes and shrine summons and all that there or was that added in 1.8?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Twilight's Hammer creatures in Silithus can now be pickpocketed.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    No, a lot of you are misremembering, or did not see the zone before they finished it. Prior to the update, there was no cenarion hold, there were no quests, the twilight locations were not in, there were no mobs, and the gate was shut and the gong was absent(or at least, I don't remember seeing it, but it's hard to remembe
    r something that wasn't there).
    There were definitely mobs there. Worms, spiders and dust devils. They were fairly tough and if I remember correctly they didn’t drop any loot. So the majority of people never went there before 1.8 except for Hunters trying to do their epic bow quest

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    There were definitely mobs there. Worms, spiders and dust devils. They were fairly tough and if I remember correctly they didn’t drop any loot. So the majority of people never went there before 1.8 except for Hunters trying to do their epic bow quest
    Now I'm the one misremembering :P But I guess it's ok since it was literally 12 1/2 years ago-ish. You're right, there were mobs, and they didn't drop loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Not only them: before 1.8 (i was quite some times there before 1.8 hit) they were already twilight hammer there in their camps (althrough it might be that one camp didn't existed yet). But you couldn't summon anything there because these stones didn't existed yet.

If i remember correctly, one of the demons for the epic hunter quest was located in silithus.

Some quests were there, given by the 2 NElf druids as you entered the area.

1.8 just added the Cenarion Hold Rep farming and ironed out a few things, like moving the quests to Cenarion Hold and adding a few more, mostly about Cenarion Hold Rep.

Overall the mobs that existed kept existing, they just had a reason now, to grind for AQ opening, and the Abyssal Lords were added.