Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They raise, train and breed futures.

- - - Updated - - -

Honda's Asimo robot... 10 years ago:

In general I'd say the concept could still use some work...

“Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Kaku is a sell out. Brilliant physicist who wastes time writing about fucking telepathy and telekinesis to rake cash off the gullible.
    He's a futurist. That's what futurists do.
    Telepathy and telekinesis are possible with enhancements we won't see for hundreds of years.

They move into the future at a rate of 1 second per second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

In a general sense, they are scientists and social scientists who attempt to systematically explore predictions and possibilities about the future.

Or how they can emerge from the present, whether that of human society in particular or of life on Earth, in general, is trending that way.

In practice, it is people looking at technology trends and trying to predict if a particular technology is going to dominate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    If that were true the seconds would cancel, leaving futurists moving into the future at the rate of 1.

To me it sounds like a new term for "snake oil salesman".

Kaku is a sell out. Brilliant physicist who wastes time writing about fucking telepathy and telekinesis to rake cash off the gullible.
    While he has never been an Einstein level physicist, I do agree that his work on SFT was somewhat fascinating. However I think calling him a physicist these days is a stretch. Conman, pseudoscientist, former physicist, these would be more appropriate titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    ....she keeps cheering on the robot.....

i mean......its a robot....

i dont get it......
    Best to get on their good side before they take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Wow this guy:
    Michio Kaku (/ˈmiːtʃioʊ ˈkɑːkuː/; born January 24, 1947) is a Japanese American theoretical physicist, futurist, and popularizer of science. He is professor of theoretical physics at the City College of New York and CUNY Graduate Center. Kaku has written several books about physics and related topics, has made frequent appearances on radio, television, and film, and writes online blogs and articles. He has written three New York Times best sellers: Physics of the Impossible (2008), Physics of the Future (2011), and The Future of the Mind (2014). Kaku has hosted several TV specials for the BBC, the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, and the Science Channel.

http://bigthink.com/experts/michiokaku

The New Einstein

So Futurists use what Science is available now.. To predict what Science will be doing in the future.

A Bit like those people saying that AI Artificial Intelligence , will take over everyone's jobs
    Not the new Einstein lol

They make a living off their wild ideas.

Never trust a futurist with anything serious. Most dabble with pseudo-science, are not engineer and certainly not scientists.
    A lot are also con artists looking for funding by gullible investors. Like cold fusion, strange drugs, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    No. No they are not. They're bullshit marketed to morons.
    Can you also tell me which cryptocurrency will go x100 in the next 6 months so I know what to buy right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Can someone please tell me how one becomes a "Futurist"
    You do something so that you have money.

Then you lie in bed, thinking.

Edit: at various points of unemployment in my life, I called myself a "Writer." Sounds better than Jobless. Same deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I prefer a rate of 1.1 seconds per second, but it involves moving fast. Not recommended for most people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    If that were true the seconds would cancel, leaving futurists moving into the future at the rate of 1.
    It's a constant in their movement, or maybe I'm talking about My_seconds/Your_seconds. See above.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-11-15 at 09:24 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Donald is one too.

He saw that in 2016 the Democrats would finally put up a truly beatable candidate by anyone with an (R) next to their name.

History shows human behavior to fairly predictable, more than enough to warrant such a job. The title and proposed reverence is pretty cult like though lol

a futurist? someone who runs around on hoverboards and robots? the jetsons fanatics?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sug everyone on this forum knows bait when they see it. Yours isn't even amusing enough to bother taking. Sorry but you're no Jaylock. What you are, however, is ignored <3
    Run from an argument. Run.

They hate the future.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, what makes a Historian? Someone who studies history. And can intelligently discuss historical trends and facts.

A futurist is someone who studies trends and consequences of those trends. Then looks at current trends and can intelligently guess the direction they are going.

Both of these are very similar people. We study history to not repeat it. We estimate the future to figure out what is best to work on.

So, If I were to say! In 20 years, most pure gas car engines would be gone. This is me simply studying the current trends and stating that things that seem obvious to most people.