Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    They designed Argus without flying in mind because it was a simple way to give the illusion of a massive world we're visiting instead of a tiny island on a planet.

Visually, Argus is amazing in terms of looking like another planet. Flying would ruin that. To the point we don't have flight paths; we have instant teleports. They didn't specifically decide "okay, let's make a patch zone without flying", it was just a concession they made to make Argus as impressive as they felt they could.

They've already indicated not all patch content is going to have no flying; it will depend on the zone. And they said Pathfinder is a blueprint going forward, not that it will 100% always be in place for every bit of content, just that where flying will be enabled, that's the system they want to use.

7+ Year Old Account
    argus is the timeless isles of this xpac. all there is to it. .
    every xpac had a no fly zone.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad they didn't allow flying on Argus. We're on a foreign planet that is the home of the Burning Legion, they've got turrets that take down massive ships made of crystal, they have hoards of fel bats, they have space ships scattered all over the sky, and you want to fly around on a tiny bird?

I get that people are annoyed about having to work for flying, and then getting zones without flying intensions. But it's not worth complaining about.

Blizzard had to choose what kind of experience they wanted Argus to be. They went with 3 pieces of a large broken world, relying on a lot of visual trickery to create that sensation. Stuff that isn't compatible with flight. I don't fault them for that decision. And there is a lot of precedent for their decision.

For what they've said themselves on the subject, check here:
    https://blizzardwatch.com/2017/10/05...ng-now-future/
    Has a link to the Q&A question where Ion elaborates too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly didn't even read the post. Something about argus and flying.

But to answer the question, no. A 'promise' wasn't broken because they didn't promise anything. They never do. And even if they did, it's a game company, not some relationship. Stop reading into "We'd like to do this" or "This is our idea" or "Hey we make-a da game" as some kind of marital bond.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Yes, we already had this thread. Trust me, I was there. Did Blizzard lie? Not directly. But they sure as hell mislead the living crap out of players.

What it boils down to is if you're a hardcore Blizzard fan you'll make excuses to justify that misleading.
    And if you're a hardcore Blizzard whinger you'll twist things through wilful ignorance to paint Blizz as master manipulators milking malleable morons (see the rest of your post for details.)

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I think we had this thread already. Yeah broken promise. No doubt.
    It's a word for word copy paste.

Here's the original: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...roken-promise?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Sue them.

10c.
    Could you actually sue them for false advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Enjoy the content how it's supposed to be played before it gets ruined with flying? Opinions are fun, and usually pointless.
    Well it is my opinion flying doesn't ruin any content. It enhances it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did we really need a 100% copy pasta OP?

And no; No promise was broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    If you had a kink for throwing money away, sure.

No court would rule in your favour, because Blizzard never advertised unlocking Pathfinder would work in all Legion content, and precedent shows there was always a good chance any patch "island" wouldn't be flight capable.

I don't even think what Blizzard did counts as "advertising", either. They just answered player questions with what their current thinking at the time was. No one bought Legion because an ad said "unlocking flying for Legion!".

Quote Originally Posted by Konteil View Post
    argus is the timeless isles of this xpac. all there is to it. .
    every xpac had a no fly zone.
    Every xpack except Cata had flying available in the launch patch too. Except WoD and Legion, which magically locked it for no good reason for most of a year. Context is everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You could try. But they'd just hide behind the "changing conditions in development" line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    I don't even think what Blizzard did counts as "advertising", either. They just answered player questions with what their current thinking at the time was. No one bought Legion because an ad said "unlocking flying for Legion!".
    This is questionable. The definition of "advertising" is changing pretty rapidly with things like social media. It definitely isn't an ad in the classical sense, but it is generating hype and interest in their game when they talk about the plans for it.

Granted, I don't think there's an actual legal case to be made here outside of the court of public opinion. People just don't like the idea that Blizzard could be dishonest or misleading with them, and so they'll continue to get away with stuff like this, though.

Yes, we already had this thread. Trust me, I was there. Did Blizzard lie? Not directly. But they sure as hell mislead the living crap out of players.

What it boils down to is if you're a hardcore Blizzard fan you'll make excuses to justify that misleading.

But if you research the issue, and dig for the actual details, you'll see that Blizzard pushed the "Do the work first, get to fly later" thing as their entire selling point for Pathfinder. Never once was it hinted, suggested, or implied that there would be open-world areas in this expansion without an unlock for flight. In fact, in several blue posts and interviews, Blizzard representatives(Includion Ion himself) use the phrase "Broken Isles Pathfinder" and "Legion Pathfinder" interchangeably, STRONGLY suggesting that this would be the format for all zones in the expansion.

So there was never a direct promise. But they sold players on the concept of earning flying after doing the content, then switched in a 100% no flying zone design after Pathfinder had gotten players to spend 8 months chasing it. Whatever you think of the situation, the only thing that's perfectly clear is that we can expect BfA to have a similar plan: Get players to waste their time chasing a bunch of objectives for flying, only to have it disabled in later content releases.
    So basically "SCREW YOU BLIZZARD! It's your fault for making me think you would give us flying in Argus! ... ... even though you never said you would but.. STILL! I was stupid enough into misleading myself and it's your fault that I made this mistake myself! Isle of Quel'danas has flyin... oh wait it doesn't. BUT HEY you promised we would get flying through pathfinder achieve and... oh wait argus is not part of Broken Isles"

Silly kids

15+ Year Old Account
    But if you research the issue, and dig for the actual details, you'll see that Blizzard pushed the "Do the work first, get to fly later" thing as their entire selling point for Pathfinder. Never once was it hinted, suggested, or implied that there would be open-world areas in this expansion without an unlock for flight.\
    Never once was it hinted, suggested, or implied that you would be able to fly in all content once unlocking pathfinder. Get off your hate wagon.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    I'm glad they didn't allow flying on Argus. We're on a foreign planet that is the home of the Burning Legion, they've got turrets that take down massive ships made of crystal, they have hoards of fel bats, they have space ships scattered all over the sky, and you want to fly around on a tiny bird?
    This. Does anyone remember the Ogri'la dailies where you literally could not stop moving in certain areas or you got blown out of the sky by cannons? I would not like an entire planet of that.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The state of casuals and their damn flying.

Deary, deary, me.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Never once was it hinted, suggested, or implied that you would be able to fly in all content once unlocking pathfinder. Get off your hate wagon.
    I remember there was a dev or CM or somebody way back before Cata. Said he was always amazed how players could take their simple statements and somehow twist them into promises and guarantees about things that weren't even being discussed.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not this rubbish again?!

No! It's not a broken promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Musik-Diversity86 View Post
    So basically "SCREW YOU BLIZZARD! It's your fault for making me think you would give us flying in Argus! ... ... even though you never said you would but.. STILL! I was stupid enough into misleading myself and it's your fault that I made this mistake myself! Isle of Quel'danas has flyin... oh wait it doesn't. BUT HEY you promised we would get flying through pathfinder achieve and... oh wait argus is not part of Broken Isles"

Silly kids
    There is a difference between making up crazy headcanon based on nothing, and a concerted effort by a major corporation to lead you to believe something.

When the lead developer himself(Ion) uses the words Legion Pathfinder, and says things like "Legion flying", and talks about the overall philosophy is "Do the content then fly over it later", added to all the other dev interviews and official posts saying the same thing, it tends to send a message.

15+ Year Old Account
    When the lead developer himself(Ion) uses the words Legion Pathfinder, and says things like "Legion flying", and talks about the overall philosophy is "Do the content then fly over it later", added to all the other dev interviews and official posts saying the same thing, it tends to send a message.
    And again no where did they say you would be able to fly in all content introduced in Legion. They can't send a message that isn't actually there. The hate you have towards them is blinding you. You are only seeing what you need to see in order to fuel the hate.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."