Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    I consider house-moths as pest, same with fruit-flies. Everything that can breed easily in your home. Moths especially since they can ruin even foot. A friend of mine had huge problems with them for years, no matter what he did or how often he cleaned they would find their way back. Their females can squeeze themselves in the tightest boxes and breed their eggs inside.
    I've had problems with pantry moths. Those are the worst. Then a handful of spiders moved into my kitchen and wiped them all out in month. Nature solved the problem for me!
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    I've had problems with pantry moths. Those are the worst. Then a handful of spiders moved into my kitchen and wiped them all out in month. Nature solved the problem for me!
    I was telling a friend of mine the other day, as much as I am creeped out by spiders, if we didn't have them, we'd be absolutely overrun with bugs.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

What a lovable bunch of future serial killers. Anyone who uses glue traps are assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad when I kill a fly. This makes me sad. I want to torture the guy a little just to give him a taste. Does that make me sick? If you must kill any animal do it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Cruelty is still cruelty. A rodent doesn't suffer any less than a puppy or kitten, and besides, feral dogs and cats can be pests in some places. Ultimately, the distinction is irrelevant when we're doing about a sick fuck torturing a helpless animal. You can label an animal whatever you want, but it's still a living creature that feels pain. That in itself should be enough not to torture one.

What does this even mean? That you're trying to defend the video in the OP is more messed up than a law saying it's illegal to torture a vertebrate animal.
    The black death was carried by rats. It wiped out most of England at the time.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    no it doesnt make it okay to torture them, they need to die because of the diseases they carry but they dont deserve to be tortured.

10+ Year Old Account
    Catching mice isn't easy. If it works then be glad cause a mouse or rat isn't something you want around you. They carry many diseases and will make nests and destroy things. It's cruel but you use what works. Some traps are just more effective against certain mice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly anyone who supports this sort of thing needs to be put on a government watch list as a possible serial killer or mass killer. If you are willing to torment animals like this is it isn't a stretch to find it possible you'll extend it to people.

7+ Year Old Account
    If I had mice (I don't), I would try to trap them and release them outside. Assuming my cats didn't get to them first of course - but that's just nature. I don't tend to kill anything unless it's parasitic (mosquitos, fleas, etc), or dangerous/stinging (poisonous spiders, scorpions, hornets/wasps, etc) and even then I just kill them, I don't torture them. If it's not something that's parasitic, I try to catch it and release it outside. Especially spiders. As much as I don't like spiders, they have an important function in the ecosystem.

Amusingly enough, in my old apartment the most common bugs for me to find inside were ladybugs and fireflies...neither of which bother me. I mean, I don't really want them inside, and I will catch them and take them outside, but other than that they don't bother me.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-11-26 at 06:48 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Poison has the risk of being eaten by a pet but that's it. He says it's messy because he's being a contrarian to me, so he simply has to tell me what I'm saying is wrong and bad.
    So now that you know that I know what I'm talking about, will you listen?

Poison is messy, because it's not instant and the pest will die at home. In your walls. They will rot there and if you don't like the smell of that - well guess what will you have to do to get rid of it? WAIT and SMELL IT ALL AWAY. Or rebuild your walls.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I was telling a friend of mine the other day, as much as I am creeped out by spiders, if we didn't have them, we'd be absolutely overrun with bugs.
    If your resident house spiders are finding enough bugs to stay healthy, your problem isn't the spiders. I keep an eye out for the poisonous ones, but most other spiders I let them do their thing. There's a couple of impressive creepy crawlies in the garage that do a great job of making sure nothing sneaks under the door.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Hence why there's nothing wrong with killing rodents and other pests.

But making them suffer unnecessarily is sick.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    The fleas carried the plague, actually. And new research suggests that gerbils were responsible for spreading them. Not that it matters anyway, the plague is irrelevant here... we're not living in the Middle Ages any more. We don't shit in our streets, we don't blame cats for being the devil, we don't use leeches to cure bacterial infections (there's a wonderful thing called antibiotics), etc. The common house mouse isn't typically a carrier anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    im not "objectively" wrong about this.
    and you cant force your lily shit morals on me or anyone else
    You are wrong. You said people don't buy glue traps to torture animals, yet this video shows an instance of someone doing that. I'm not forcing anything on you, not my problem you're too stupid to understand the definition of torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Electric traps are less effective. Mice just avoids dead mice. With glue traps mice gather up to help other mice and get trapped as well. Efficiency trumps snowflakery.
    That is simply not true.

An electric trap kills the animal instantly, and is more cost-effective because they can be reused. Unlike a glue trap, there is no chance for the animal to escape and it is less messy. Additionally, this pest control study shows that non-glue trap traps are more effective:
    Results of comparison trials between glue traps and non-glue mouse traps also indicate strong differences in interaction and capture rates favoring non-glue traps.
    The CDC also do not recommend traps that keep the animal alive on them because of their tendency to expel their waste products out of fear. Also, I posted a video earlier from an expert in mouse traps who demonstrated that glue traps aren't that effective. You boast about how effective they are, yet any trap that gives a window of opportunity for an animal to escape is a shit one. This is not mentioning the ethical aspect of it, but I guess that's too high-brow a topic for you.

Poison is messy, because it's not instant and the pest will die at home.
    And a glue trap is messier and not instant either, yet for some reason you are not applying this rationale to them?

You're only here to wind people up it seems, because you don't provide citations to your arguments and don't seem to have much of a knowledge regarding pest control.
    Last edited by Fargus; 2017-11-26 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, I like a a lot of other animals provided they don't invade my property.
    So if it's on your property it's alright to torture?
    It's sick like I understand just killing them why is it ok to torture them?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is simply not true.

An electric trap kills the animal instantly, and is more cost-effective because they can be reused. Unlike a glue trap, there is no chance for the animal to escape and it is less messy. Additionally, this pest control study shows that non-glue trap traps are more effective:
    The CDC also do not recommend traps that keep the animal alive on them because of their tendency to expel their waste products out of fear. Also, I posted a video earlier from an expert in mouse traps who demonstrated that glue traps aren't that effective. You boast about how effective they are, yet any trap that gives a window of opportunity for an animal to escape is a shit one. This is not mentioning the ethical aspect of it, but I guess that's too high-brow a topic for you.
    Lol, I now know you haven't read that report. Go read the part in the end called "Maximizing Capture Success", also the test themselves have no scientific value as they were run "for one night only" (c) report. And glue traps were stacked against snap traps at 1:2 ratio in numbers. They also used the cheapest glue traps, basically a thin cardboard with some glue. And they placed them wrong AND together at the same time. Lol. And it was in 1991-1993. Traps have progressed since then.

Electric traps are fancy and expensive but not as effective because dead mice repels live mice.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Kerplank View Post
    ... does it make it okay to torture them?

If this loser did it to a dog or cat, they'd get strung up by their balls. But doing this to a rodent, or lizard, or any animal people might find icky, it's suddenly all okay? I take a glance at the comments and see all sort of sadistic shit:

Unfortunately, Youtube gives a platform for these kinds of mentally deranged scumbags (and does little to stop them). However, it gives a good insight into how people can do something demonstratively vile because they know that they can get away with it. I cannot know for sure if it's just edgy kids trying to appear "cool", or genuine people with deep-rooted mental issues to do something like that to a defenceless animal. Also, YouTube's algorithms are messed up. I'm morbidly curious, but looking up how to catch and release a squirrel should not "recommend" videos like that.

Oh, and whoever uses glue traps can fark off. They seem to attract the worst kind of people.
    No, this is disgusting and inhumane. It says a lot about a person how they treat weaker things.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Rats and mice are dangerous. They carry diseases, which can make you very ill.
    So do all wild animals. They're not any more or less disease prone than any other animal. It also depends on their environment. For instance, a field mouse isn't going to carry much compared to a mouse that lives in a land tip.

They die in my house. I have no pity for such pests.
    What's the point of saying this when they're saying they won't torture the animal? It makes you come across as someone who wouldn't mind doing something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Pretty sure you can't
    See, we live in a free country.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Lol, I now know you haven't read that report. Go read the part in the end called "Maximizing Capture Success", also the test themselves have no scientific value as they were run "for one night only" (c) report. And glue traps were stacked against snap traps at 1:2 ratio in numbers. They also used the cheapest glue traps, basically a thin cardboard with some glue. And they placed them wrong AND together at the same time. Lol. And it was in 1991-1993. Traps have progressed since then.
    That section of the paper describes them as testimonials with no hard data behind it. Just as useful as an anecdote, really. And according to the paper, this test was done over a period of three years, so it's a bit rich for you to be claiming I didn't read it. All glue traps are cheap; that is not an argument. Considering this study was done by actual pest control professionals, from what authority do you claim that they placed it wrong? It doesn't matter if it was in 1991-1993, it's a fucking piece of plastic or cardboard with super glue on it. I can still get the same kind of traps now as I could in those years, with exception to modern traps like the Nooski and CO2 traps.

Electric traps are fancy and expensive but not as effective because dead mice repels live mice.
    Citation please. The whole point using them is that they don't leave a live animal for you to deal with, the animal won't escape (because it'll be dead), are much more hygienic and are more cost-efficient because they can be reused.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    See, we live in a free country.
    You don't. Laws exist for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't. Laws exist for a reason.

When everything is illegal. The law becomes a mockery. I'm pretty sure there are very few people buying these traps to torture animals for fun. It's about controlling rodent populations and keeping them out of our food.