Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    If you know where to hit people, size matters little. Stun guns and pepper spray doesn't care either. And as a fellow dane, if you live in a dangerous area, screw the rules, carry spray. (I don't, luckily).

Anyone can scratch at people's eyes, scrape some shins, or for women wearing heels, jam it into a foot.
    Knife is good if they don't know you have one. I was attacked some years ago and I used a knife to defend myself, he looked very surprised when he thought it was going to be easy and then he get slashed over the abdomen and then stabbed before he can retaliate and then I run. If you will hesitate if you pull the knife out then you shouldn't have one because that will get you killed or hurt, you can't wait and threaten them with it and let them know you have it before you use it on them.

I’d recommend living in 2017 in a developed nation.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    No, you kill someone. Doesn't always make you a murderer to kill someone.
    It does when you respond with lethal force to non lethal force.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    says the mysoganist. do you want to keep playing this game? i can make things personal if you want to.
    I definitely am not a mysoganist or a mysoginist. If anything I'm one of the most equality inclined people I know.

You americans are just brainwashed into thinking men are guiltier than women by default.

Not that my alleged sexism would change the fact that you're a 40 kilo plank who can't even lift a grocery bag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Nope, that is for the police to decide, in a court of law with your attorney present explaining that defense of your life when the person trying to rob you had a gun represented a clear threat to your life, and you had no choice but to defend yourself, and seeing as how he has a gun and probably a history of doing such shit, it won't be hard to prove.
    Ah right so we assume the guy has the gun in your face? Well good luck pulling your own to shoot him, but it sounds like you're digging your own grave here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Pepper spray is illegal here though pretty much every girlfriend i know carry them still, dont think the cops give a fuck if they use it to protect themselves, and if they do big deal they rather take a fine then getting raped or robbed.
    My issue with pepper spray or any weapon is how easy it would be to mace/taze/shoot someone and then weave a story on how they came at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Knife is good if they don't know you have one. I was attacked some years ago and I used a knife to defend myself, he looked very surprised when he thought it was going to be easy and then he get slashed over the abdomen and then stabbed before he can retaliate and then I run. If you will hesitate if you pull the knife out then you shouldn't have one because that will get you killed or hurt, you can't wait and threaten them with it and let them know you have it before you use it on them.
    A lot of people don't have the stomach to use a knife for defense. Blood is unsettling. You can use it, sure, but I didn't suggest it because I don't think it's 'the best'.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Self defense course. It gives you non-lethal options, and also teaches you how to respond to a variety of situations the right way.
    I'm completely anti gun but fuck me if I lived in the states I'd be carrying. And this is coming from someone with 22 years of martial arts training and I specilise in teaching practical self defense.

Outside of the states I'd say pepper spray, you don't just join a self defense course and within a few class become an expert. The way I do it, is teaching the very basic, easy hit targets, proper way of hitting etc.

A few years ago every Saturday I taught a self defense seminar, men, women, teen and towards the 2 month mark most of them thought they were invincible and started 'teaching' their own stuff during breaks from watch youtube. So I bought in a friend and set up the scenario in class, this guy approaches you to attack. Defend. To be successful you had to do enough to be able to leg it to the door and out the building. Out of 15 regulars TWO of them did it. They kept it simple one a kick to the bollocks and the other took the knee down. Everyone else tried to do something fancy one guy even attempted a jumping kick (course the one who was preaching youtube)

Anyways, its just reinforcing my point, self defense classes are great but takes time, depending on your location you should have an alternative. Except a knife. Never a knife.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I don't know anyone who wears anything for self defense.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I’d recommend living in 2017 in a developed nation.
    Well given that every nation in the world, practically every town in every nation has had, will have or does have some form of crime, you best take your idiotic statement and walk out of the door

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 special. revolver. Taurus makes a very similar one. The Ultralite. A revolver is very simple to load and has a extremely low chance to malfunction. Those two are also easy to carry and conceal, only weighing 15 - 17 oz. A firearm is superior than any other type self defense weapon against humans or dogs.

A knife can be up close and personal, but requires more strength/training and assuming the attacker is not so strong as to overpower you. Any knife which would be effective, in some states, such as Ohio, you cannot carry concealed. So check your local laws if you want to carry one of those.

Deleted
    I will repeat what some people said. If you can, just run.

Also, be fucking smart in the street. I read some police stats somewhere that in 90% of cases, the encounter could have been avoided. It's not about being paranoid our cowardly, it's just being aware of your surroundings and not loosing your life over a fucking wallet.

Most self-defense courses are pretty inefficient since anything that happens to you in the street you will be unprepared for and your brain will switch into its "primal/reptilian" mode, and when that's the case you will never be able to remember or apply that "one super technique of neutralization" you learned in class. If you didn't run away, you will most likely freeze or make some very poor attempt to protect yourself with slow arm movements.

Class "training" and self-defense courses are still in a "friendly" environnent, it wil not help you face a sudden spike of violence when you are walking home with your groceries or out at night going back to your car after a fun evening.

Arts like Krav maga or Silat try to put you in those situations so it's bit of a plus but is still nowhere comparable. Special mention to Systema (russian martial art) that focuses more on unwanted physical contact which a lot of people are not used to anymore nowadays.

Regarding peper spray or tasers or even a gun. There is a higher chance for you to not use it properly or even forget using it in such a stressfull situation. Some people even spray themselves because the wind blows in the wrong direction or the can was facing them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmyan View Post
    I will repeat what some people said. If you can, just run.

Also, be fucking smart in the street. I read some police stats somewhere that in 90% of cases, the encounter could have been avoided. It's not about being paranoid our cowardly, it's just being aware of your surroundings and not loosing your life over a fucking wallet.

Most self-defense courses are pretty inefficient since anything that happens to you in the street you will be unprepared for and your brain will switch into its "primal/reptilian" mode, and when that's the case you will never be able to remember or apply that "one super technique of neutralization" you learned in class. If you didn't run away, you will most likely freeze or make some very poor attempt to protect yourself with slow arm movements.

Class "training" and self-defense courses are still in a "friendly" environnent, it wil not help you face a sudden spike of violence when you are walking home with your groceries or out at night going back to your car after a fun evening.

Arts like Krav maga or Silat try to put you in those situations so it's bit of a plus but is still nowhere comparable. Special mention to Systema (russian martial art) that focuses more on unwanted physical contact which a lot of people are not used to anymore nowadays.

Regarding peper spray or tasers or even a gun. There is a higher chance for you to not use it properly or even forget using it in such a stressfull situation. Some people even spray themselves because the wind blows in the wrong direction or the can was facing them...
    Anyone who carry's a firearm should first off, get some professional training and then learn to be aware of your surroundings. It does require a different mind set. Contrary to what the anti-gun crowd likes to preach, the simple act of showing you have one, can be a deterrent. It is important how you do that however and know your state's laws on banishing a firearm. Telling some you are armed with one and placing your hand on your firearm is not banishing.

Ohio does not even have a law against banishing a firearm. They do have laws which point out it is unlawful to point a firearm at anyone, unless you feel your life is in danger. In those cases, you would have to be able to show proof it was. Odds are the attacker, will stop and run away when they see you are not a defenseless victim.

But you make some good points for sure. In Ohio, we have the duty to retreat if there is a reasonable or way to do so. But I would not run if they are chasing me. I would let them know I am armed and back away. We do not have the duty to run away is my point.

i'd say the strongest taser you can legally get your hands on.

something that will put the guy down the moment it touches his skin, unless he's on like pcp or something.

a gun won't do anything for you if you don't have distance on the guy, you're liable to just get yourself shot that way. cause if a man's got control of your arms, you're not going to be able to do anything about that.

home defense = gun

self defense = taser

Deleted
    Carry a tactical thermonuclear weapon.

Maybe move to civilized country so you dont need to be afraid of your life all the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Termak View Post
    Maybe move to civilized country so you dont need to be afraid of your life all the time.
    Which country is this where no one has ever been attacked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'd say the strongest taser you can legally get your hands on.

something that will put the guy down the moment it touches his skin, unless he's on like pcp or something.

a gun won't do anything for you if you don't have distance on the guy, you're liable to just get yourself shot that way. cause if a man's got control of your arms, you're not going to be able to do anything about that.

home defense = gun

self defense = taser
    It worked out ok for Zimmerman. But you still have a good point. The 21 foot rule is a good one to understand and be aware of. It certainly is a hell of lot better to shoot the attacker before they get to you. But even if they do, I rather still have one than not.

For home defense, a 12 ga. shotgun, loaded with 00 buckshot is the best firearm in my opinion.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Name 1 country with 0 robberies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It worked out ok for Zimmerman. But you still have a good point. The 21 foot rule is a good one to understand and be aware of. It certainly is a hell of lot better to shoot the attacker before they get to you. But even if they do, I rather still have one than not.

For home defense, a 12 ga. shotgun, loaded with 00 buckshot is the best firearm in my opinion.
    I hope you have a maid for the cleanup afterwards.

What country would that be which has 0 crime?

Deleted
    owning and resorting to guns is talked about as if you are talking about whats for dinner tonight. The sheer fact that a gun is an option for common people and promoted in such a fashion is the reason why your society is crumbling. While it is not illegal i would prefer you keep your gun promoting American "values" to yourself. This is still just a game forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

we got our shotgun from my grandpa, and it's soooo old. it's a 20ga. single shot lol.

the most modern gun we have a .22 that jams horrifically(i actually almost got attacked by a dog because of it).