Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I realized the other day that I haven't carried any sort of self-defense since I lived in Chicago, and that I really should start carrying something to protect myself and my very wimpy 70-lb Golden Retriever when we are on walks. Just in case.

What sort of self defense weapon do you recommend overall, and why?

https://www.range365.com/best-self-defense-handgun
    http://www.selfdefenseninja.com/
    https://www.asecurelife.com/self-defense-without-a-gun/

I'd like to take some classes on how to shoot one day (I grew up in AK and it's a bit shameful that I don't know how to shoot), but if I do it would likely be for rifle use for hunting game rather than self-defense.
    Regarding self defense in particular i recommend either the tool that has the least chance of backfiring critically without previous training or the tool that has the best chance of protecting you with the necessary training. From your list that would either be pepper spray or a self defense course and a gun.

I dont know how affected by your personal safety situation you are objectively and how negatively what you feel impacts your quality of life but since I generally feel self defense classes give a more positive outlook on life I recommed you take one all the same. Something reputable preferably, something with vetted professionals that have experience in fields, a "fixed establishment", a verifiable list of clients and at least several years of being in business.

The last thing you want people to scam an easy buck out of you is your personal safety. If there even exists the miniscule chance that you end up in a situation where you assess a threat wrong because some feel-good self empowerment outfit sold you the belief you can take that on and it turns out you can't there is no one you - or in the worst case your next of kin - can really hold accountable for it. The most important and life preserving parts of self defense is threat assessment and deescalation, followed by extracting yourself from that danger. Hardly ever is it about overpowering the opposition. No mere tool you buy will teach you how to do that. To know when it is more likely that a tool at your disposal will cause you harm than to give you an advantage.

Other than that, guns can be fun if handled responsibly. See if hunting is for you, get some practice at a range, there probably is no shortage of services offering that without you having to buy a gun of your own. Take that self defense class (preferably not NRA sponsored) mentioned earlier and then if you still consider a gun a good self defense choice for yourself make an informed decision.

Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2017-11-28 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Neither would knife or gun. Or do people really think that someone with gun pointed at your face, is just going to let you draw your weapon for fair duel?
    If they've got a gun in your face that pretty much throws civilized talks out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    don't live in the 3rd world.
    Can always count on bongs to be condescending pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Get good at running fast. No matter what people say, a self-defense class will do nothing for you if you're tiny and the other person is huge. Unless maybe you're a black belt in something.

Can't really comment on guns as they're not legal here in Denmark.
    If you know where to hit people, size matters little. Stun guns and pepper spray doesn't care either. And as a fellow dane, if you live in a dangerous area, screw the rules, carry spray. (I don't, luckily).

Anyone can scratch at people's eyes, scrape some shins, or for women wearing heels, jam it into a foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    If you know where to hit people, size matters little. Stun guns and pepper spray doesn't care either. And as a fellow dane, if you live in a dangerous area, screw the rules, carry spray. (I don't, luckily).

Anyone can scratch at people's eyes, scrape some shins, or for women wearing heels, jam it into a foot.
    And what if you attempt an attack but it fails? Now you've escalated the situation and the assailant might do something they would not have done otherwise. Creating distance between you and the threat is some of the best protection there is.

There was only 1 time in my life when I was in a situation when I had to defend myself from an attacker on a street. Random fights we all get into when we are children / too young and stupid do not count by the way. A group of gypsies were living in our neighborhood and one time, when me an my father were walking to a dog training session with our leashed Black Terrier, about 10 or so of them grabbed garden tools (spades etc...) and tried assaulting us on the premise that some dogs made piles of shit on the other side of the street and they find it offensive. They were looking to vent it on someone basically, and we were the first ones to happen their way. Past a minute or so of threats, one of them struck a shovel against tarmac, making a loud noise. That is when our dog went for the guy's throat. It would got to it too if the leash was not wrapped in a loop on my father's hand. I need to add that Black Terriers are not very vocal. They do not bark or growl aloud (it is quiet and is very easily missed. You can however feel it if you place your hand on the dog) before attacking. So this was a complete and utter surprise even for me and my father. Basically, teeth closed about 20cm from the guy's face and that seemed to calm them down very efficiently, seeing that one could probably get their head fit completely in the maw. My father strained his shoulder by the yank, but it was worth it in our opinion. The situation quickly deescalated and they backed off. The dog got a huge 1kg stake the next day.
    Also, guns in our country are very hard to come by. I do not know the US statistics, but here, a household with a dog is almost 5 times less likely to get robbed. If a dog is large, the number is even higher. So for personal defense in European countries, nothing beats a well trained dog guardian. Emphasis on well trained. It is also helpful if the dog has a strong pack instinct and will defend you without separate commands.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Take a self-defense course more than anything else. If you live in such a bad area that you need something more, add something on top of it.

The simple reality is that you are far more likely to get shot with your own gun, or have a loved one get shot by that gun, or even commit suicide than you will actually ever be in a position to use the gun for self-defense. Like I said, if you live in a really bad area, the risks of your neighborhood may outweigh the risks of having the gun, but for the vast overwhelming majority of people here, simply getting a gun is not a good answer.

Basic self-defense course will teach you simple but effective techniques typically involving no weapons to temporarily disable an attacker so you can get away (the true purpose of self-defense is to get out of there, not beat up or kill someone else). Even if you go with other weapons, this knowledge is always invaluable.

If you decide on a gun, find a good self-defense training course (although the NRA mostly represents gun manufacturers, they typically do a good job maintaining good courses of this nature).

Pepper spray or mace would be supplemental and are easy to utilize, especially in conjunction with good self-defense training.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post

I don't think many people can take a throat punch/steel toed kick in the genitals and still keep going.

I'd say a 9mm compact if you can get a carry permit. No matter what anyone says, 9mm will kill, .45 is too heavy. You aren't going to fight a charging 300 lb Maui Warrior on coke.

If its for home defense and you just want cash and carry, go with an AR-15 or a 12 gauge Shotgun, Maverick 88 is very cheap and is fine for home defense.

I personally have a CZ 805 Bren with a scope for fun at the range/world goes to hell, that is a piston driven (more reliable) 5.56 combat rifle. I have a Springfield XDM 9mm as well, which is usually in the car.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol @ gun

can a gun be good? absolutely.. But it requires a LOT of training and practicing. And I really mean it.
    If that isn't given, the gun causes the opposite.

Pepper Spray, Self defense course.. Both combined should not only get you set, they are legal everywhere. Whereas a gun is not.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I don't think many people can take a throat punch/steel toed kick in the genitals and still keep going.
    If a throat punch / kick in the genitals is so easy, what is stopping the attacker from doing it to you and grabbing all your stuff?

It isn't easy. Humans have reflexes. This isn't a Hollywood action movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    If a throat punch / kick in the genitals is so easy, what is stopping the attacker from doing it to you and grabbing all your stuff?

It isn't easy. Humans have reflexes. This isn't a Hollywood action movie.
    Why would they do that when they could simply shoot/stab me in the face?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I suggest you don't carry protection until you are EXTREMELY proficient with it. The stress of a situation where you'd need it will cause you to be less effective in the use of any such tool.
    Thank you for mentioning that. Though I think that training with some kind of gun on a shooting range could leave you unprepared in a real situation. You need some kind of special training to be able to handle a gun properly, but you also need to make the right decisions instinctively. Instinct only works with experience, though. This is why I think that guns don't belong into civilian's hands. These people usually don't have sufficient experience.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2017-11-28 at 12:34 PM.

If you just want an excuse to kill someone i'd say get a gun,

Otherwise pepperspray (you can actually make your own with spicy peppers if you wanna make it a little project) Spray em, Run away, then call the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Why would they do that when they could simply shoot/stab me in the face?
    Because if you happen to see someone breaking into your house or mugging you on the street, I highly doubt they want to murder you. They most likely just want your tv or your cash. If they are coming to murder you, chances are you won't see it before it's too late. But again, if you have so many enemies that they are coming to murder you left and right, chances are you're already packing heat.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    the gun is called 'the great equalizer' for a reason. a couple 3 thugs try to rob and rape you by pulling you down a dark ally. it doesn't matter what self defense courses you took, how many knives you got up your sleeves, or if you have chemicals or electricity at your finger tips. when you need to kill or be killed, the best tool humanity has right now is the gun.
    Just don't forget to whittle down the muzzle-sight.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Can't just carry a weapon and call it a day, need to learn how to use it for practical defence purposes. I used to carry a knife but it was useless in the one fight I had where the other person attacked me with one because I didn't have time to get it out. I ended up disarming them with my hands, but not before I got stabbed in the stomach. In my situation carrying the weapon was useless, learning how to disarm someone properly would've been significantly better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    lol @ gun

can a gun be good? absolutely.. But it requires a LOT of training and practicing. And I really mean it.
    If that isn't given, the gun causes the opposite.

Pepper Spray, Self defense course.. Both combined should not only get you set, they are legal everywhere. Whereas a gun is not.
    Here in Germany, I am not sure if pepper spray would be legal, but a self-defense course is definitively the best thing to do. You need to react appropriately to the situation.

Gun, what kind depends on what feels good for you to carry and is in your price range but you can't go wrong with a glock or a s&w M&P in your preferred caliber

Pepper spray is illegal here though pretty much every girlfriend i know carry them still, dont think the cops give a fuck if they use it to protect themselves, and if they do big deal they rather take a fine then getting raped or robbed.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Can't just carry a weapon and call it a day, need to learn how to use it for practical defence purposes. I used to carry a knife but it was useless in the one fight I had where the other person attacked me with one because I didn't have time to get it out. I ended up disarming them with my hands, but not before I got stabbed in the stomach. In my situation carrying the weapon was useless, learning how to disarm someone properly would've been significantly better.
    Most people here have never been in a situation like that, especially those suggesting guns.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side