Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Think about Death Knights or Demon Hunters. There's only a small number of each in the game world, but we can continue to make and play them.
    This right here is the only real thing to consider here. Alleria exists, so *a* Void Elf exist. If she can justify teaching 50 Void-using elves how to contain and control the void like herself, she can justify the playable race just as strongly as Demon Hunters or Death Knights. Lorewise, almost every Void Elf if a PC, just like with the Hero Classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Simple:

"There's some quantity of Elves who have been experimenting with the void for some time, now. I'm going to teach them the Eureka moment that got me over the hump so they'll get over the hump, too, and gain that control and power."

We don't know how many elves are in the Velf community. We don't know how long they've been working with the void. Only that they -have-.

Meanwhile I notice y'all've got no problem with everyone suddenly becoming Monks outta nowhere and instantly learning ancient arts of reality-warping power with no lead-up when Pandaland went live. So... Y'know. Learning a Racial Trait has gotta be easier than Mistweaving...

Also: She could literally take those Void Elves to space and train them for the next 1,000 years by going close to the "Center of the Whirlpool" and then coming back. Time no longer means anything in Azeroth. She could take 80 elves with her and come back with a billion void elves by breeding a void elf race in a week.
    You're kind of missing the point. They can do anything with the lore and story, but that doesn't make it good. Saying bad storywriting is acceptable is not acceptable to me. It ruins the immersion and enjoyment of playing the game for me and many others. I'm not saying they can't do anything they want, but they need to put more effort into it than just throwing it in haphazardly. That's the issue for me. If it does end up being the Sunreavers, I would still have issues, but that would be a story that would make sense where Void Elves aren't Gremlins getting water poured on their backs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    snip
    I have now watched your video.

You are wrong. Simply wrong.

You believe the Void Elves signify that the High Elves are likely to become playable, yet don't apply occam's razor. The simplest explanation is probably correct.

Why are Void Elves such an obvious ass pull? Why not just give you High Elves, which you call the quintessential allied race?

Couple this with Ion's obvious rejection (something you glided over by the way in your video. His answer was to a question asking about playable High Elves, not the status of Blood Elves) and apply Occam's razor.

The simplest answer is that they don't want High Elves to be playable for the Alliance because they are already playable for the Horde. A logical supposition is that void elves were created, in the context of being an allied race, as an attempt to placate the demand without giving the Alliance the actual race whilst doubling down on Blizzard's new post legion focus on light vs shadow.

And as for the purpose of the Silver Covenant, you go out of your way to ignore that yes, their storyline might just end. Maybe they all die with Veressa. Maybe they leave in disgust at the Alliance accepting the void mutants and rejoin the Horde, thus bringing in blue eyed elves as an option.

You have clearly started with a conclusion, that playable High Elves are likely, and then go on a journey to justify it. You even use the addition of Void Elves, which most people can see is to PRECLUDE playable High Elves as they are a form of 'compensation', to justify an argument.

You even skim over the game director flat out stating High Elves ARE Blood Elves because that doesn't fit the narrative.

Playable High Elves aren't happening (again, they are Horde). If playable Alliance High Elves were going to be a thing, they'd have done it as an Allied race instead of Void Elves.

5+ Year Old Account
    You're kind of missing the point. They can do anything with the lore and story, but that doesn't make it good. Saying bad storywriting is acceptable is not acceptable to me. It ruins the immersion and enjoyment of playing the game for me and many others. I'm not saying they can't do anything they want, but they need to put more effort into it than just throwing it in haphazardly. That's the issue for me. If it does end up being the Sunreavers, I would still have issues, but that would be a story that would make sense where Void Elves aren't Gremlins getting water poured on their backs.
    You don't know the story.

You've read the synopsis-teaser on the back cover of the book and decided the entire novel is trash.

Maybe it's an incredibly well written story that weaves the lore together in a magnificent fashion. Maybe as Alleria's helpers we'll have to raid the Arcandor for Fruit to take to the Void Elves to cure them and that will be part of what pushes the Nightborne away from the Alliance, since we're stealing what is literally their most precious resource. Maybe in stealing that fruit we'll damage the Arcandor in some irreparable way and condemn part of the Nightborn Populace into downing Manawine for all eternity out of our desire to get the Void-Wielding Belves on our side, which leads to the Nightborn turning against the Alliance.

But you've got the cover of the book, and that's enough for you, right?
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It is called development, and it isn't really a race on its own.
    My entire argument is that there is a lack of story development.

You did do the storyline, right? She's the first elf, Locus walker isn't the only one. And if you look at the timeline, still some time to get corrupted by the void and then fight to control it, doesn't seem to take long for the first part, so I am almost certain the two of them would be able to teach fine.
    Locus Walker is the only one according to both him and Lothraxion which they go into in detail in 'A Thousand Years of War'. This is something that is supposed to be almost impossible to master. Even Alleria struggles with it.

Technically, they aren't taught much more than to control it and contain it, the rest is knowledge before the event.
    Well that is speculation at this point. We should see this in game or in the story at this point, but we don't. There should be more set-up.

You could await and see with the lore being updated.
    'Just trust Blizzard' isn't really something I'm willing to do after the lore atrocity that was WoD.

What other questions, and what would the change be if they were Sunreavers?
    What led Aethas to chase void magic when he is already a powerful mage? Why did the other Sunreavers agree to seek it out instead of not dabbling? Why would he not seek Alleria out first to learn from her instead of having a bunch of his kin going crazy? After being aligned so firmly to Dalaran instead of the factions, why would his group join the Alliance -- is there really that much Blood Elf hate towards their kin?

Those are just some off the top of my head. Questions that need answering and/or explanation.

I don't understand why people go out of the way to lobby for taking options away from themselves/other people. Such a waste of energy, and the end result is not even something positive/constructive.

You don't like Void Elves? Don't play them. End of story.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

@Keihndeth
    Now can you see how the blood elf players are not angry that the alliance has vampire elves? we would be angry if the blizzard gave the alliance our exact race

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    The concept of Allied races allows for less meaty race options. With that in mind Blizz could have technically added high elves, but I'm guessing they wanted to keep the basic thalassian in the Horde for identity's sake, making Alliance's thalassians more about Void than elf-stuff. I find them intriguing enough, especially with Alleria (and possibly Locus-Walker) guiding them, but since they are a completely new concept unlike the rest of the Allied races, Blizz needs to put a lot of effort into building their identity and place in the story. If they fail at that now they will never get the playerbase to accept void elves.

I agree Blizz should plainly state they don't want to add high elves into the Alliance and explain their reasoning behind it. I also agree void elves should've been high elves originally, there's no reason for them to have been blood elves other than to create tension between them and high elves. I can just smell Vereesa ranting about them being untrustworthy etc.

Also, maybe give Horde a couple of quests in Silvermoon, where we learn exactly why Lor'themar didn't tolerate dabbling with the Void. Did void elves go berserk or something?
    the void elves were expelled because they were going crazy and alleria saved them.
    Ion was clear in saying that they will not add high elves because the high elves are blood elves.

- - - Updated - - -

How does a playable race come out of one person?

How does she even teach something that at this point int time only her and Locus Walker have ever been able to achieve in all the known cosmos?

How does she 'train' all of them so quickly?

How does she even happen upon finding them?

There are a ton of lore questions and problems here, even if they are Sunreavers
    they already practice the void they are going crazy and they were expelled, alleria found them and teaches to control the void.

how was it that alleria found them? alleria went to silvermoon to negotiate with lorthemar so that the blood elves can be part of the alliance again. obviously lorthemar rejection
    Last edited by Rhlor; 2017-11-29 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    I have now watched your video.

You are wrong. Simply wrong.

You believe the Void Elves signify that the High Elves are likely to become playable, yet don't apply occam's razor. The simplest explanation is probably correct.

Why are Void Elves such an obvious ass pull? Why not just give you High Elves, which you call the quintessential allied race?

Couple this with Ion's obvious rejection (something you glided over by the way in your video. His answer was to a question asking about playable High Elves, not the status of Blood Elves) and apply Occam's razor.

The simplest answer is that they don't want High Elves to be playable for the Alliance because they are already playable for the Horde. A logical supposition is that void elves were created, in the context of being an allied race, as an attempt to placate the demand without giving the Alliance the actual race whilst doubling down on Blizzard's new post legion focus on light vs shadow.

And as for the purpose of the Silver Covenant, you go out of your way to ignore that yes, their storyline might just end. Maybe they all die with Veressa. Maybe they leave in disgust at the Alliance accepting the void mutants and rejoin the Horde, thus bringing in blue eyed elves as an option.

You have clearly started with a conclusion, that playable High Elves are likely, and then go on a journey to justify it. You even use the addition of Void Elves, which most people can see is to PRECLUDE playable High Elves as they are a form of 'compensation', to justify an argument.

You even skim over the game director flat out stating High Elves ARE Blood Elves because that doesn't fit the narrative.

Playable High Elves aren't happening (again, they are Horde). If playable Alliance High Elves were going to be a thing, they'd have done it as an Allied race instead of Void Elves.
    Well as I've seen in your many other posts and your signature, this topic trips a massive bias trigger in you so I don't expect you to be objective. I am being objective however, and it just isn't a conclusion you like. I would much rather have races like Vrykul and Jinyu from a personal standpoint as an Alliance player. I'm not arguing that High Elves should be playable, I'm arguing that every argument about why High Elves shouldn't be applies 10x over for Void Elves. To me that makes High Elves more likely because of that, not less likely. You can agree to disagree, because it is all speculation at this point. What you can't do is tell me I'm wrong because none of us know unless you secretly work on the WoW Dev team.

I actually included Ions video. I didn't skim over it at all. He says High Elves are pretty much Blood Elves, and Void Elves are pretty much High Elves too. Well, by that logic, then High Elves should be playable then. That's not an argument why they shouldn't be playable. I also did address the 'theory' (yes, its a theory not a fact) that Vereesa might die. I state that what happens to the Silver Covenant and the High Elves then? Do they just ride into the sunset never to be heard from again even if that does happen? Not likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're wielding weapons of almost unlimited power, killing titans, old gods and world souls while also being able to go from a no-name character to the champion of our classes within a few hours of playing the game (1-110 leveling experience). Yet, we're worried about why Void Elves are happening and High Elves aren't?

I'm not sure why people are trying to "math out" realistic scenarios for a story that Blizzard creates. If you're going to be so nitpicky as to why Void Elves are becoming a thing, you might as ask every other question that doesn't make sense in realistic terms. Like...why do I create a character and I'm already middle aged? Where the hell are my parents? How in the hell did I learn to kill monsters and bosses so quickly? I'm sorry...but arguments like this one makes me question why you even play the game. It's like you don't want people to have fun with cool and creative ideas from Blizzard. You need the story to be justified so you stay sane and happy with the game?...Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    You don't know the story.

You've read the synopsis-teaser on the back cover of the book and decided the entire novel is trash.

Maybe it's an incredibly well written story that weaves the lore together in a magnificent fashion. Maybe as Alleria's helpers we'll have to raid the Arcandor for Fruit to take to the Void Elves to cure them and that will be part of what pushes the Nightborne away from the Alliance, since we're stealing what is literally their most precious resource. Maybe in stealing that fruit we'll damage the Arcandor in some irreparable way and condemn part of the Nightborn Populace into downing Manawine for all eternity out of our desire to get the Void-Wielding Belves on our side, which leads to the Nightborn turning against the Alliance.

But you've got the cover of the book, and that's enough for you, right?
    I do know the story. You seem to be the one who doesn't. You also don't seem to understand my point. If Blizzard wants to add an entire new race to the game as playable, we should have the level of interaction with them that we have gotten with all the other Allied Races in the game. We know the indepth history and story for all 5 of the other Allied Races. We've interacted with them in game. We know their struggles. We know nothing about Void Elves other than Alleria teaches them, and thats not even ingame or book yet. As far as ingame, the only 'Void Elf' is Alleria. The point is that is horrid storytelling for something that is going to be playable. They need to do more to make them plausible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well as I've seen in your many other posts and your signature, this topic trips a massive bias trigger in you so I don't expect you to be objective. I am being objective however, and it just isn't a conclusion you like. I would much rather have races like Vrykul and Jinyu from a personal standpoint as an Alliance player. I'm not arguing that High Elves should be playable, I'm arguing that every argument about why High Elves shouldn't be applies 10x over for Void Elves. To me that makes High Elves more likely because of that, not less likely. You can agree to disagree, because it is all speculation at this point. What you can't do is tell me I'm wrong because none of us know unless you secretly work on the WoW Dev team.

I actually included Ions video. I didn't skim over it at all. He says High Elves are pretty much Blood Elves, and Void Elves are pretty much High Elves too. Well, by that logic, then High Elves should be playable then. That's not an argument why they shouldn't be playable. I also did address the 'theory' (yes, its a theory not a fact) that Vereesa might die. I state that what happens to the Silver Covenant and the High Elves then? Do they just ride into the sunset never to be heard from again even if that does happen? Not likely.
    How can you be objective when you created an entire video ignoring the obvious meaning of what the game director said?

High Elves are already playable...but here are Void Elves who are pretty close for those who want them.

Why do some go completely out of their way to draw the opposite conclusion on this topic than the one suggested by lore, common sense, game mechanics and the actual devs themselves speaking about it?

It is baffling!

10+ Year Old Account
    You can agree to disagree, because it is all speculation at this point. What you can't do is tell me I'm wrong because none of us know unless you secretly work on the WoW Dev team.
    You're contradicting yourself here. You question Blizzards motives for Void Elves, but the story for them hasn't even been released yet. They could easily have something planned as Blizzard that perfectly explains Void Elves. Yet, all your arguments say that they're completely wrong in their reasoning for making them a playable race. Do you secretly work at Blizzard? So yes, we can tell you you're wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I do know the story. You seem to be the one who doesn't. You also don't seem to understand my point. If Blizzard wants to add an entire new race to the game as playable, we should have the level of interaction with them that we have gotten with all the other Allied Races in the game.
    You don't know the story! The story hasn't even been touched on yet. Void Elves aren't playable now without cause, they'll be playable later...with cause. Lord have mercy....the interaction will come with the story line we have to complete to unlock them. Everything will be learned at a later point in time. Why is this so hard to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorality View Post
    We're wielding weapons of almost unlimited power, killing titans, old gods and world souls while also being able to go from a no-name character to the champion of our classes within a few hours of playing the game (1-110 leveling experience). Yet, we're worried about why Void Elves are happening and High Elves aren't?

I'm not sure why people are trying to "math out" realistic scenarios for a story that Blizzard creates. If you're going to be so nitpicky as to why Void Elves are becoming a thing, you might as ask every other question that doesn't make sense in realistic terms. Like...why do I create a character and I'm already middle aged? Where the hell are my parents? How in the hell did I learn to kill monsters and bosses so quickly? I'm sorry...but arguments like this one makes me question why you even play the game. It's like you don't want people to have fun with cool and creative ideas from Blizzard. You need the story to be justified so you stay sane and happy with the game?...Ridiculous
    All of those things, and some as outlandish as they are, are explained in game in depth. This isn't an issue about High Elves, they are merely a tool for me to make my point that Void Elves are bad storytelling. Parents and age aren't as important in overarching storytelling as entire races. Macro versus micro. Some of those things are gameplay decisions.

Yes, I'm so crazy for wanting a coherent and cohesive story to the game I play. Throw me in a loony bin!

For heavens sake, I was treated with less toxicity on Reddit than here. Is this what MMO Champion has become?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vorality View Post
    You don't know the story! The story hasn't even been touched on yet. Void Elves aren't playable now without cause, they'll be playable later...with cause. Lord have mercy....the interaction will come with the story line we have to complete to unlock them. Everything will be learned at a later point in time. Why is this so hard to understand?
    Correct. That is the issue I have here. We have no story and this was the last major patch of Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    How can you be objective when you created an entire video ignoring the obvious meaning of what the game director said?

High Elves are already playable...but here are Void Elves who are pretty close for those who want them.

Why do some go completely out of their way to draw the opposite conclusion on this topic than the one suggested by lore, common sense, game mechanics and the actual devs themselves speaking about it?

It is baffling!
    That is not what Ion said, that's what you wanted to conclude from what he said. He didn't say "High Elves are Blood Elves" he said "High Elves are pretty much Blood Elves". He also says "Void Elves are pretty much another flavor of High Elves"-- where in there does he say High Elves will never happen?

I must have really touched a nerve with this topic. I must have done something right...

10+ Year Old Account
    All of those things, and some as outlandish as they are, are explained in game in depth. This isn't an issue about High Elves, they are merely a tool for me to make my point that Void Elves are bad storytelling. Parents and age aren't as important in overarching storytelling as entire races. Macro versus micro. Some of those things are gameplay decisions.
    Not to me...the game is hard to play for me and it's a complete oversight from Blizzard that I don't know who my parents are, why I don't get to grow up in the game, and why I don't receive proper training through my levels from a master of my class. This is horrible story telling. My character is important to me and Blizzard isn't telling the full story of my character.

This is your logic.

And you still don't understand that the story is coming with the expansion. Just like pandas, monks, goblins, worgens, and just about anything else after Wotlk. We learn and play through the story while it's released...there's no guideline saying we have to know the story for X amount of time before we're able to be in that story.

Ion says is that they are not going to add another race that has the blood elf skin because that race already exists in the game! he says it clearly the void elves are the new "flavor" that will be playable for the alliance! he even laughed with the idea of playable high elves
    Last edited by Rhlor; 2017-11-29 at 02:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are void elves, not sense elves. They will make void, not sense.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Can we wait until we see the storyline that introduces them before complaining about them making no sense please? You know, see in detail exactly what blizzard is planning?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Ion says is that they are not going to add another race that has the blood elf skin because that race already exists in the game! he says it clearly the voves elves are the new "flavor" that will be playable for the alliance! he even laughed with the idea of playable high elves
    Why do High Elves touch such a nerve for you? You don't just disagree with them, but loath the idea of them even being possible. It enrages you. Let's explore why that is true.

Ion never states that anywhere. That is just factually incorrect. It's not even debatable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They are void elves, not sense elves. They will make void, not sense.
    haha - touche

Doesn't mean I have to be satisfied with that ;p

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Can we wait until we see the storyline that introduces them before complaining about them making no sense please? You know, see in detail exactly what blizzard is planning?
    The point is we shouldn't have to wait to learn about a race thats coming out of the blue. It should be integrated into the story right now if it's going to be added at BfA launch. The only way they could be is through the Sunreavers, which is why I go in-depth explaining how that could be a possibility. However, most of the people here downvoting my video haven't watch it to see that part to realize I'm actually being quite objective. They just think I'm bashing Void Elves due to the title or being pro-High Elf. People have the attention span of lemmings these days... They read a title and think they have the full story.
    Last edited by Keihndeth; 2017-11-29 at 02:22 PM.

I do know the story. You seem to be the one who doesn't. You also don't seem to understand my point. If Blizzard wants to add an entire new race to the game as playable, we should have the level of interaction with them that we have gotten with all the other Allied Races in the game. We know the indepth history and story for all 5 of the other Allied Races. We've interacted with them in game. We know their struggles. We know nothing about Void Elves other than Alleria teaches them, and thats not even ingame or book yet. As far as ingame, the only 'Void Elf' is Alleria. The point is that is horrid storytelling for something that is going to be playable. They need to do more to make them plausible.
    when the pandas were playable how much previous interaction did they have with them?How many pandarean existed before mop that you knew? just a couple in warcraft 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'll let them have void elves over high elves but personally I'd prefer they got some other race instead.