Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    How do you feel about shaving with a straight razor? Laws are all over the place, but that used to work in some places because straight razors were popular at the time.

Would something like the Spyderco Techno work? A bit pricey, but that seems closest to the Colombia River knife I sometimes carry here as a tool. It is short enough it is probably not controversial, it isn't "ninja" black, and the opening action shouldn't be controversial. Not a long blade, but very, very sturdy and should (is reported to) hold a sharp edge.
    I would never use a straight razor to shave with. But it may be something to consider and might be legal to carry concealed. Good idea. I will check it out. The one thing which may disqualify it in Ohio, would be the length. I do know one of those box cutters would be legal, as it would be considered a tool for sure. But we are talking about something for only slashing with. I would only consider using it as a backup weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well that's close, it at least says that it's there, so if you took say self defense or something, I mean like some that have been suggested it can help and for sure help with practice build your confidence and your brain through repetition defense strengthens as a reflex.

Cause as I said if you are protecting yourself and mean to do harm, because you are NOT likely sadistic feeling bad or before during and after isn't uncommon. Which is why I said with the gun, you can't take that back. Albeit extreme still deals with the aggression and your intention to follow through to protect yourself, which IS very important for self defence.
    If their main concern is their pet being attacked, then Ive got some horrible news if you think anything aside from literal braining a beast to near death would work. Especially for any mastiff breed.

Youre more likely to have a far much more violent encounter without the aid of something meant exactly for situations like that then you would with it.

Mace and pepper spray or other chemical self defense sprays are not really any good and the effectiveness of them degrades over time and how they are handled. Self defense classes are feel good but are worthless unless you practice the techniques and they are second nature.Also, if an attacker gets close enough that you can engage in manual combat, you are in trouble. An attacker should never get close enough to touch you. A firearm can be a good choice, but you have to be educated and experienced. Again, you need to practice and be comfortable with the tool. Unless you are really comfortable with the firearm and how it operates, I would recommend a firearm with a decocker and both double and single action. You want to carry the gun loaded with a round in the chamber. With the SA/DA and decocker device, you can safely insert the magazine, rack the slide to chamber the first round (which cocks the hammer and requires less trigger pull to fire) and the decock the hammer. With a SA/DA pistol, the gun still will fire without racking the slide or requiring you to remember to disengage the safety. But, with the hammer in the decocked position, the firearm is safer to carry since the trigger requires a lot more force and travel to fire. The less steps and stuff to think about during an attack gives you a better advantage to actually use the firearm to protect yourself.

If you carry a gun, be prepared to use it. Mentally prepare to use it, because if you hesitate or fumble with the gun, your attacker will take it from you and use it on you.

Now, to illustrate the topic of knock down power, today I had a guy come in shot 16 times with a 9mm using hollow points and was still alive upon arrival to the ER.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther
    But we are talking about something for only slashing with. I would only consider using it as a backup weapon.
    For a straight razor, there are some martial arts that still have that as one of their weapons -- the old style of Savate and Capoeira are the ones that come to mind but there may be others. Blades like the Spyderco one have short heavy blades, but they are broad enough that I wouldn't discount stabbing since that's often a prelude to tearing a wound open anyway.

As a primary melee weapon that isn't likely to draw unwanted attention, I have a cane for that.

@traumabrew The problem is that by the end of your post, you've pretty well said there is no self defense. Even for firearms, you go through a long discussion about carrying a firearm, but as you said -- people don't always go down or at least may not go down before you get hurt. Sixteen hits with 9mm hollow point shows what can go wrong.

The points you have raised are valid in some cases, but using self defense courses as an example, it is better to have some options than no options at all. A self defense course isn't 20 years of training in a martial art, but it doesn't really take that to learn how to bring your heel down on the arch of someone's foot. Steel toed boots aren't much protection from that; some people wear steel toed boots, so knowing to stomp to the top of the foot instead of the toes can make a difference and even someone too high to feel it doesn't chase you quite as well with a broken foot. Similarly, not everyone starts as an attacker. But a date gone wrong or a disagreement with someone can escalate. Knowing how to use your legs and leverage to get out of something like a wrist grab is better than nothing and again it doesn't take a lot of very complicated training. Fold fingers over, strike to the throat, stomp to the top of the foot, get to a safe place, call emergency services -- more complicated but if someone tries to choke you it is once again a better option than the reflex to claw at someone.

Keep the car doors locked, don't stop for strangers, park in well lit areas, observe the area before getting out of your car or leaving the building -- those things are also part of a self defense course, but the other stuff is for an option if you find yourself in a situation that needs it.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traumabrew View Post
    Mace and pepper spray or other chemical self defense sprays are not really any good and the effectiveness of them degrades over time and how they are handled. Self defense classes are feel good but are worthless unless you practice the techniques and they are second nature.Also, if an attacker gets close enough that you can engage in manual combat, you are in trouble. An attacker should never get close enough to touch you. A firearm can be a good choice, but you have to be educated and experienced. Again, you need to practice and be comfortable with the tool. Unless you are really comfortable with the firearm and how it operates, I would recommend a firearm with a decocker and both double and single action. You want to carry the gun loaded with a round in the chamber. With the SA/DA and decocker device, you can safely insert the magazine, rack the slide to chamber the first round (which cocks the hammer and requires less trigger pull to fire) and the decock the hammer. With a SA/DA pistol, the gun still will fire without racking the slide or requiring you to remember to disengage the safety. But, with the hammer in the decocked position, the firearm is safer to carry since the trigger requires a lot more force and travel to fire. The less steps and stuff to think about during an attack gives you a better advantage to actually use the firearm to protect yourself.

If you carry a gun, be prepared to use it. Mentally prepare to use it, because if you hesitate or fumble with the gun, your attacker will take it from you and use it on you.

Now, to illustrate the topic of knock down power, today I had a guy come in shot 16 times with a 9mm using hollow points and was still alive upon arrival to the ER.
    Same principle is happening with a revolver. My .357 MAG revolver has a long trigger pull of 10 pounds firing using double action. Single action, with the hammer cocked, the trigger pull is a very short pull of 3 lbs.

Another unknown fact is most gun shot wounds do not end up being fatal.

- - - Updated - - -

For a straight razor, there are some martial arts that still have that as one of their weapons -- the old style of Savate and Capoeira are the ones that come to mind but there may be others. Blades like the Spyderco one have short heavy blades, but they are broad enough that I wouldn't discount stabbing since that's often a prelude to tearing a wound open anyway.

As a primary melee weapon that isn't likely to draw unwanted attention, I have a cane for that.

@traumabrew The problem is that by the end of your post, you've pretty well said there is no self defense. Even for firearms, you go through a long discussion about carrying a firearm, but as you said -- people don't always go down or at least may not go down before you get hurt. Sixteen hits with 9mm hollow point shows what can go wrong.

The points you have raised are valid in some cases, but using self defense courses as an example, it is better to have some options than no options at all. A self defense course isn't 20 years of training in a martial art, but it doesn't really take that to learn how to bring your heel down on the arch of someone's foot. Steel toed boots aren't much protection from that; some people wear steel toed boots, so knowing to stomp to the top of the foot instead of the toes can make a difference and even someone too high to feel it doesn't chase you quite as well with a broken foot. Similarly, not everyone starts as an attacker. But a date gone wrong or a disagreement with someone can escalate. Knowing how to use your legs and leverage to get out of something like a wrist grab is better than nothing and again it doesn't take a lot of very complicated training. Fold fingers over, strike to the throat, stomp to the top of the foot, get to a safe place, call emergency services -- more complicated but if someone tries to choke you it is once again a better option than the reflex to claw at someone.

Keep the car doors locked, don't stop for strangers, park in well lit areas, observe the area before getting out of your car or leaving the building -- those things are also part of a self defense course, but the other stuff is for an option if you find yourself in a situation that needs it.
    Would depend on how the Spyderco is designed if it would be legal to carry concealed. Keep in mind, you can carry any knife out in the open in Ohio. Also, the pointed end night give some judge the thought it was a weapon and not a tool.

Some really good advice on self defense in general.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-01 at 01:32 AM.

If it is not instantly or almost instantly fatal you are using the wrong gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    If it is not instantly or almost instantly fatal you are using the wrong gun.

Lol! The topic is about practical self defense using weapons or devices which can easily be carried and I would think preferably concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Regardless of what weapon you end up choosing I'd strongly recommend a self-defense course.
    Yeah I think it's a good idea. I'd need to research local classes.

The problem with making the thread this broad is that there is a lot of variability of quality/effectiveness within a self-defense type and a given situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    A Pen, because it is mightier than the sword.
    http://gearmoose.com/the-10-best-tactical-pens/

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! The topic is about practical self defense using weapons or devices which can easily be carried and I would think preferably concealed.
    No ones going to fuck with her with that slung over her shoulder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    No ones going to fuck with her with that slung over her shoulder.
    More than likely not. Lol! But, then again, some nuts may want to try to steal it. I much prefer to be prepared with a defensive item which is concealed. I want to be able to not just go for long walks prepared, but shopping or anyplace where the chances exist you may need to protect yourself. I would rather not draw attention to myself.

Nothing beats a gun. If you can't have one/don't want one then pepper spray probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would depend on how the Spyderco is designed if it would be legal to carry concealed. Keep in mind, you can carry any knife out in the open in Ohio. Also, the pointed end night give some judge the thought it was a weapon and not a tool.
    One doesn't really have to carry it concealed. The Columbia River knife I have has a belt clip, so does the Techno. That lets you carry it front, somewhat right of the belt buckle and you aren't trying to conceal it. For all of that though, the finish on the Techno isn't going to be particularly eye catching. On the other hand, neither is it ninja black.

As far as the point, if you were to have to face a judge, you'd want your lawyer to be up to speed enough to know that box cutters have a point (even if it is angled) to aid their use as a tool, so do most kitchen knives. I noticed one review of the Techno specifically commented on how well the point worked for opening clamshell packaging.

https://bladereviews.com/spyderco-techno-review/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    One doesn't really have to carry it concealed. The Columbia River knife I have has a belt clip, so does the Techno. That lets you carry it front, somewhat right of the belt buckle and you aren't trying to conceal it. For all of that though, the finish on the Techno isn't going to be particularly eye catching. On the other hand, neither is it ninja black.

As far as the point, if you were to have to face a judge, you'd want your lawyer to be up to speed enough to know that box cutters have a point (even if it is angled) to aid their use as a tool, so do most kitchen knives. I noticed one review of the Techno specifically commented on how well the point worked for opening clamshell packaging.

https://bladereviews.com/spyderco-techno-review/

It would be impractical to have a knife exposed and out in the open during the winter here. I mean, I guess one could, but it would look pretty dorky and certainly draw attention. If you consider one on your belt would be covered up by your heavy coat. Thus would be concealed.

The issue with the vague knife laws in Ohio ( I really wish they amend it to be clearer and allow more conceal carry of knives. ) if some judge or jury convicts you of carrying a deadly weapon unlawfully ( a felon here ) you can forget ever being able to get a license to carry concealed, a handgun and in fact, it would be unlawful for you even to possess a firearm. I am not going to take any chances to lose that ability.

But your points and reference to the types of weapons such as the Spyderco is certainly good for most considerations, as most states have some clear laws dealing with knifes for self defense. Trust me,I have watched several videos on this subject by a lawyer here who specializes in gun usage, self defense cases. Which is one reason I have stressed on here, if a person decides to carry a knife, esp concealed, they need to know the laws in the state ( or country ) they reside in.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-01 at 03:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    You know that a knife beats a gun on personal defense.. but most ppl always choose the gun. I call that darwinism.
    Is a reason why they say never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Gun is also easier to control and prevent death if you know how to aim, if you're using a big enough knife to actually scare a attacker away.

Ameri-Do-Te.

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Bottle? I am assuming you mean carry one as you are walking or jogging and can use it to break it and then use as a sharp edged weapon? Interesting. It certainly could do some nasty damage.
    Yeah I mean fill it up with water and carry it like a water bottle if you cant legally own a weapon. If worst comes to worst break it.

10+ Year Old Account
    a trenchcoat conceals that.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Depends on distance between the two individuals. But yes a knife at a certain range can beat a guy with a gun due to reaction timing and aiming.
    My rule is never allow a shady stranger to get within arms length if you can help it. That way you wont be cold cocked, sucker punched, or stabbed as easily.

I don't mean once they enter the zone punch them, I mean keep an eye open and move to keep some space if necessary or defend yourself if they aggressively enter your space.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2017-12-01 at 07:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue with the vague knife laws in Ohio ...
    I'm going to reply with a favorite summary from what I found following up on your remarks:
    I’ll just say this up front: Ohio knife laws suck. They don’t suck because they’re Draconian; they suck because they’re Kafka-esque. After reading and trying to understand them, the only clear rule about Ohio knife laws is that there are no clear rules.

[Disclaimer: I’m a lawyer by trade, but I’m not licensed to practice in Ohio and I’m not qualified to give legal advice. This article represents the general state of Ohio’s knife laws, along with my opinions about them. If you need to know whether your favorite knife is legal for concealed carry in Ohio, you need to consult an Ohio lawyer.]

I’m actually glad I researched this article, because I didn’t know I needed to stay the hell out of Ohio until now. Ohio’s knife laws put knife owners in greater, and less predictable, legal jeopardy than any other knife laws I have researched so far.
    Source: http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...-laws-17-ohio/

Now, I thought Ohio drivers were already a good enough reason to avoid the state, but this just drives it home.

For the purpose of this discussion, folks, please note that Ohio knife laws are apparently so bizarre they should be viewed as part of an alternate universe.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-12-01 at 10:55 AM. Reason: forgot link

Because only in America would you consider buying a lethal weapon for your walk home.
    Last edited by XangXu; 2017-12-01 at 10:22 AM.