Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    is it piracy if i watch movies and tv shows online for free?
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm concerned it should be (but unfortunately isn't) as follows: If it is not available for purchase in a way that grants revenue to the company that made or currently owns the rights to it, it should be legal to "pirate"/share it.

There are a lot of games out there that simply cannot be purchased anymore, all of them should be legal to share since there is no way to buy it from the developer even if we wanted to.

And yes, I consider Non-current WoW servers under this umbrella. They cannot be otherwise played, we have no option to pay Blizzard to play them, therefore it should be legal make a workaround to do it on our own.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-12-07 at 01:28 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    You need the creators' intellectual property to run a server, unless you are going for a total conversion.
    You're allowed to use assets. The server backend is based on Apache license, which is open source. If the backend was taken from Blizzard it would be different. Again you can create your own server, it's how a lot of b-roll is made for videos. The issue is when someone begins to profit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelfox View Post
    Lmao, get over yourself, all you do is sit here and attack people who you don't agree with, mr high and mighty.
    You are shitposting by trying to summon Hitler as a means to pretend to be a victim and deflect... and I called you out on it. Memelords are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You are shitposting by trying to summon Hitler as a means to pretend to be a victim and deflect... and I called you out on it. Memelords are the worst.
    What was it I was trying to be the victim of, your highness?

What was it I was trying to be the victim of, your highness?
    Your reductio ad absurdum was a clear whine about people supposedly invoking Hitler.

Unless of course you want to admit to being a neo-Nazi. Let me know which it is.

Your reductio ad absurdum was a clear whine about people supposedly invoking Hitler.
    False, care to try again?

False, care to try again?
    You avoided answering my question. You called yourself Hitler. Were you pushing reductio ad absurdum, or are you admitting to being a neo-Nazi?

There is no logic OP - it is called piracy because it is NOT stealing or theft.

Doesn't mean it is legal or moral to do it, but we have names for different things for a reason.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

You avoided answering my question. You called yourself Hitler. Were you pushing reductio ad absurdum, or are you admitting to being a neo-Nazi?
    Yep that's what I am, a neo-nazi /s. Now I know you're just trying to to waste my time, I'll let you have the last word just to inflate your ego a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    This is ignorance at it's finest. Big whoop that someone spent their time and energy on something - if I don't personally find value in it then FUCK IT.
    Ignorance? Ignorant about "what" exactly?

Big whoop because beside there being minimal to no negative affect there is instead a positive effect.

Yep that's what I am, a neo-nazi /s. Now I know you're just trying to to waste my time, I'll let you have the last word just to inflate your ego a bit more.
    You called yourself Hitler, not me. You are the one resorting to the absurd. SO, you either feel you are the embodiment of Hitler in some form or another, or you are shitposting to bring attention to your victim complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The number of available licenses is countable. So when you take one out of it, it has one less.

- - - Updated - - -

You need the creators' intellectual property to run a server, unless you are going for a total conversion.
    Considering you can make unlimited licenses this means nothing.

I'd rather you not enjoy the product at all if you weren't paying to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooh, I love philosophical questions.

Here's a scenario for you:

I have a roommate who owns a copy of The Lion King on DVD that they bought at Walmart for $15 and they said I can use it whenever I like. I want to watch The Lion King. If instead of walking out to the living room and getting the DVD to play on my computer I instead use a website to stream the DVD version of The Lion King, am I still pirating?

Go.
    Last edited by yoma; 2017-12-07 at 01:32 AM.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I'd rather you not enjoy the product at all if you weren't paying to begin with.
    Neither of these means much to the company.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    Oooh, I love philosophical questions.

Here's a scenario for you:

I have a roommate who owns a copy of The Lion King on DVD that they bought at Walmart for $15. I want to watch The Lion King. If instead of walking out to the living room and getting the DVD to play on my computer I instead use a website to stream the DVD version of The Lion King, am I still pirating?

Go.
    I've pirated a movie I had available to watch via on demand but the on demand was just such shit and slow so I just pirated it instead.

I've actually pirated quite a few shows just because I didn't want to use the on demand since it was way too slow to watch it there.

At this point I don't see the problem.

It isn't illegal to make copies of games for yourself I don't see why it should be illegal to download a copy of something I actually already paid for (service wise).

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    No one enjoy's your product when they pirate it. They enjoy their own reproduction of your product.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-12-07 at 01:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I've pirated a movie I had available to watch via on demand but the on demand was just such shit and slow so I just pirated it instead.

I've actually pirated quite a few shows just because I didn't want to use the on demand since it was way too slow to watch it there.

At this point I don't see the problem.

It isn't illegal to make copies of games for yourself I don't see why it should be illegal to download a copy of something I actually already paid for (service wise).
    That's a slightly different scenario though, as you personally own access rights to a form of that media. My scenario related to having access to media by borrowing a legitimate copy from someone else vs streaming.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay listen here.

I get that people pirate things because they want them for free.

But let's be real here. It's stealing. You are not paying money for something that someone requests money for.

Don't try and rationalize it. Don't try and excuse yourself. Just say "yes, I am okay pirating and therefore denying a sale to the seller." If that prospect bothers you, don't do it. If it doesn't bother you, well, keep on with it, I suppose.

I see no point in trying to justify it as anything else; you're obviously okay with what it actually entails.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.