Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Looks normal to me. hd netflix for 10 hours each , i bet you listen to youtube when playing or your son does, 7 hours playing from him the rest may be having it play in the background to listen. looks like you fell for the false assumption that nobody can use 100gb of bandwith a month or something because you never realistically tracked the data. ISP's take advantage of that lack of perspective, they foster that assumption as most people dont really watch online video that much or play games or download. Most of them are ms's who just read facebook and check vapid blogs but you have an internet savy familly, need a provider without a monthly bandwith limit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Wait... waaaaait... You pay for data usage? What are you using, mobile internet? Or is the US just this shitty?

I can use as much data as I ever want, it will never effect my monthly bill.
    Maybe he is out in the sticks? From 56k to DSL to Cable I've never had to pay for data. Or your typical only ISP so it's okay to exploit it's customers...which is average fair in the US, unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a addblock (ublock) and no-script. On everything. Should cut down on usless Mbs.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...lotments.shtml
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    PS, gaming (outside of patches) and audio take little to no bandwith and their definition of hd video might be low for the better marketing effect lets say 720p when youtube 1080p becomes standard now.

From autopsy if ~420p video for 1 month for about 12-15 hours a day is roughly 80GB of data then
    720p = 420p x 4
    1440p= 420p x 16

which makes the data usage respectively

320gb = 80 x 4
    1280gb = 80 x 16

Per month.

average youtube quality now is lets say 1080p asuming netflix is thesame which means that would be 80x9=720gb monthly.

This is all extrapolation from autopsy. The usage you are getting might be perfectly normal.
    Last edited by mmoc539e82d918; 2017-12-11 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyflute View Post
    Man, what a maroon. Go back to 1994, the internet is integrated in everything we do now. Being disconnected from electronics is the equivalent of being disconnected from society at this point. You should evolve, and stop spouting judgmental drivel until you do.
    While electronics and the internet are (or can be...because it's NOT mandatory) connected to every day life now, being constantly connected and spending time online means you're not connecting with or spending time with the people around you. That's a problem.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you HAVE to spend time on it.

Also, if there's anything that is clear about being on the internet....online life and interactions =/=real life.

The fact that anyone has to explain this at all is ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    Quote Originally Posted by killerlee View Post
    We are supposedly using over 600 GB of Data on our internet usage per month, the bill is getting outrageous.
    We are in the same boat. We have 2 people playing WoW, Destiny 2, sometimes Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 and maybe one or 2 other games nightly while we stream to Twitch, hubby works from home, I'm on the internet on and off all day whenever I'm home. We use the WIFI for our phones because the cell service is just ok borderline poor in certain spots around the house. The kids live on tablets when they get home from school and finish their homework in the winter time now and they play games while watching Netflix sometimes doing both at once.

We are over 1TB a month in internet service and now we have to pay $10 more a month for an extra 50gb to get us through the month. We need to limit the tablet and tv time is what we really need to do. They only get about 2-3 hours a day to do either of those things and so they often do both together watch tv while playing on a tablet. The worst is weekends where it's really cold and no one is out playing. They sit inside and watch screens go by. Or 2 week vacations they get throughout the year... UGH the internet is through the roof. We had to gut youtube from their tablets because the internet usage from that was ASTRONOMICAL and it left us having to hear idiotic things coming from their mouths when they finally put it down.

We are stuck with Comcast and this is a new thing. We used to have unlimited internet until about 5 months ago when they capped it. The only other option is AT&T or DirectTV and both are absolutely atrocious. I can't wait to move to Atlanta area and get Google Fiber!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Do you have satellite internet or something like it?

Your ISP should have a web page where it will show you how much bandwidth you are using per day, my phone does.
    Satellite would cut you off at 30 or 50 gigs.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    20 euros a month for unlimited internet for me, and been that way for 10 years. Buy an internet plan that isn't from dark ages, and save some money by doing so.
    Basically same except I pay $99 per month for cable, internet and phone. Cable also includes 2 premium channels (starz and showtime). DL/ing around 22-30 MB/s. Free upgrade to 1Gig at the end of this year - very satisfied

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenyatta View Post
    We are in the same boat. We have 2 people playing WoW, Destiny 2, sometimes Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 and maybe one or 2 other games nightly while we stream to Twitch, hubby works from home, I'm on the internet on and off all day whenever I'm home. We use the WIFI for our phones because the cell service is just ok borderline poor in certain spots around the house. The kids live on tablets when they get home from school and finish their homework in the winter time now and they play games while watching Netflix sometimes doing both at once.

We are over 1TB a month in internet service and now we have to pay $10 more a month for an extra 50gb to get us through the month. We need to limit the tablet and tv time is what we really need to do. They only get about 2-3 hours a day to do either of those things and so they often do both together watch tv while playing on a tablet. The worst is weekends where it's really cold and no one is out playing. They sit inside and watch screens go by. Or 2 week vacations they get throughout the year... UGH the internet is through the roof. We had to gut youtube from their tablets because the internet usage from that was ASTRONOMICAL and it left us having to hear idiotic things coming from their mouths when they finally put it down.

We are stuck with Comcast and this is a new thing. We used to have unlimited internet until about 5 months ago when they capped it. The only other option is AT&T or DirectTV and both are absolutely atrocious. I can't wait to move to Atlanta area and get Google Fiber!

That sounds utterly horrible. I can't imagine ever having a datacap I don't even have that on my cell phone

I agree with the notion that its probably streaming content eating up that data. Which is why 1 TB is not that much, esp when they've started to push 4K monitors and content. Also, paying for data is really going to require a regulated manner of measuring that data usage so that all parties can dispute irregularities.

There are lots of reports of people having data usage attributed to them that is more than suspect. An IP apparently doesn't tell the whole story and just because data usage is reported for that IP doesn't mean it was used. About a year ago, I had one month where my data usage spiked to a ridiculous degree and to this day there is no real explanation of what happened. Normally my household uses around 250-275 GB of data per month, almost all of that is my own usage. One month my provider claimed I used around 800+ GB of data, I was not charged, I was below my cap, but that doesn't explain why all of a sudden and only that one month a whole lot more data was attributed to my account. Data usage went straight back to normal after that, so how did I use three times or more data just that one month? Questions go unanswered.

Wheeler seemed like he was going to be shill but really wasn't, he was decent. Ajit Pai is a fluff boy for the providers, plain and simple. Nothing he does makes any sense except that he doesn't work for the consumer, he works for the industry.

Best advice: vote you own interests next time. Alternatives may not be much better, but if you vote Republican you have this shit coming and they don't even pretend its otherwise. This is the last lap in the real world game of monopoly and you need to decide if its okay with you that for arbitrary and pretended reason some very small segment of the population should for some reason own everything, pay no income taxes, and not even have to pay a significant estate tax. We have erected a privileged class and its not welfare moms, perceived minorities. or even immigrants that are the problem. The problem is that many people vote against their own interests like they actually believe they will eventually and someday benefit from the system as it is currently rigged even though all evidence points to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Aya L View Post
    That's what happens when you live in a small town with next to nothing to do.
    It's happening everywhere. I grew up in Alaska, there are always things to do outside. Or at home. Or with community members. Learn to enjoy outdoor activities--proper gear helps a lot with this--or read a book, play music, take up a hobby...there are so many things people can do with their time instead of spending so much of their day on the internet.

Obviously it's difficult in modern life to cut out internet 100%, think of it as a bad habit you're trying to cut back on. It's not healthy for us to spend so much of our lives online, from a physical health standpoint as well as an interpersonal standpoint. The internet has affected how we relate to one another in profound ways.

I know I sound like a mom but I will never understand "but there's nothing to do". There's ALWAYS something to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you need to get out more and not sit at home on the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's happening everywhere. I grew up in Alaska, there are always things to do outside. Or at home. Or with community members. Learn to enjoy outdoor activities--proper gear helps a lot with this--or read a book, play music, take up a hobby...there are so many things people can do with their time instead of spending so much of their day on the internet.

Obviously it's difficult in modern life to cut out internet 100%, think of it as a bad habit you're trying to cut back on. It's not healthy for us to spend so much of our lives online, from a physical health standpoint as well as an interpersonal standpoint. The internet has affected how we relate to one another in profound ways.

I know I sound like a mom but I will never understand "but there's nothing to do". There's ALWAYS something to do.
    What if you've read all books you want to? Music is listened to while using the computer. Outdoor activities suck for the most part, it's either raining or it's too cold and snowing to enjoy doing anything at this time of the year here or it's dark when you get home from work. In the summer it can be nice to go for a trip to a national park but that's about it.

What if you've read all books you want to? Music is listened to while using the computer. Outdoor activities suck for the most part, it's either raining or it's too cold and snowing to enjoy doing anything at this time of the year here or it's dark when you get home from work. In the summer it can be nice to go for a trip to a national park but that's about it.
    Take up a hobby. Learn woodworking, home repair, sculpting, painting. Buy a telescope or a microscope. Create art, learn to play a musical instrument. Take up a second language. Go to the library and get some more books, I'm sure you haven't read all the books in the world...

This is why I don't want to be a parent, having these sorts of talks annoy me. I feel like people should already know there's stuff to do other than the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    I don't want tech isolated. I have been using computers since the early eighties and love them.. also life isn't that simple as "just move".
    Sure it is! Haven't you ever heard of Hakuna Matata?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Take up a hobby. Learn woodworking, home repair, sculpting, painting. Buy a telescope or a microscope. Create art, learn to play a musical instrument. Take up a second language. Go to the library and get some more books, I'm sure you haven't read all the books in the world...

This is why I don't want to be a parent, having these sorts of talks annoy me. I feel like people should already know there's stuff to do other than the internet.
    I don't like woodworking, home repair, sculpting, painting or doing things with a telescope or microscope, they're boring things. I can already speak 3 languages and I have no use for more. I have read all the books that interest me.

I don't like woodworking, home repair, sculpting, painting or doing things with a telescope or microscope, they're boring things. I can already speak 3 languages and I have no use for more. I have read all the books that interest me.
    I'm sorry, but I can't take you seriously. I am highly certain there are other things that interest you besides the internet. If you're being honest, I honestly feel bad for you. I hope nothing bad happens to you, and that you never lose your precious internet access, otherwise you're going to be in a world of hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT:
    "You're a botnot!" Nope, they just use a fuck ton of data.
    "Man, you should switch ISP's!" Who would willing use a shitty ISP if they had an option to switch?
    "I have good internet!" Good for you.

OT: Tell you family to lay off, or continue with monster bills.

- - - Updated - - -

"what if you've read all the books you wanted to"

what even

Do you know if you've watched all the movies you're ever going to want to watch? Or T.V? How about the internet, you know if you've read all the internet you wanted to read?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killerlee View Post

she does online surveys/Web browsing around 12 hrs per day
    My Son uses youtube or Roblox online gaming maybe 7 hours a day.
    whoa.....

whoa...

woooooow

dude....erm...take the fam outside once in a while eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof