Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools!

France is to impose a total ban on pupils using mobile phones in primary and secondary schools starting in September 2018, its education minister has confirmed.

Phones are already forbidden in French classrooms but starting next school year, pupils will be barred from taking them out at breaks, lunch times and between lessons.

Teachers and parents are divided over a total ban, however, with some saying children must be able to "live in their time". In France, some 93 per cent of 12 to 17-year-olds own mobile phones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...hones-schools/

What's your view on this? My dad is a teacher and often tells how no one focusses on anything in anymore, but on their smartphone.
    So might be for the better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good to me, would be nice to follow here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. The attention spans of some of these kids are horrendous as it is. More countries should follow suit and take note. Back in my day we never had the privilege of smart-phones (just flip phones!).

At breaks and lunch also why? I found bans on phones really stupid.

There is absolutely no need to have your phone during the school day. If a parent needs to get a hold of you they can call the office (just like they did before cell phones).

Deleted
    C'est pal mal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    France is to impose a total ban on pupils using mobile phones in primary and secondary schools starting in September 2018, its education minister has confirmed.

Phones are already forbidden in French classrooms but starting next school year, pupils will be barred from taking them out at breaks, lunch times and between lessons.

Teachers and parents are divided over a total ban, however, with some saying children must be able to "live in their time". In France, some 93 per cent of 12 to 17-year-olds own mobile phones.

What's your view on this? My dad is a teacher and often tells how no one focusses on anything in anymore, but on their smartphone.
    Sounds great to me.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea. Cell phones can be too distracting while in a class room and kids need to learn, they do not always have to have their phones turned on.

Why would you ban them during breaks and lunchtime? It makes no sense to me.

As far as I can tell at my kids school they are pretty much banned. If you are caught during school hours using them they get taken away unless you specifically inform the front office that you are contacting a parent or the front office comes to you and informs you that they need to contact a parent.

Do a lot of schools really like a bunch of kids sit around like that and just mess around on phones?

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Why would you ban them during breaks and lunchtime? It makes no sense to me.
    One reason is that they can be used to bully others. Through recording, social apps, or just cause they don't got the latest <insert hip brand>.

Stupid idea. What in case of an emergency? Like being trapped somewhere due to a shooter or a fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Stupid idea. What in case of an emergency? Like being trapped somewhere due to a shooter or a fire.
    Kids went to school without phones for decades/centuries.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    School shootings is mostly an American thing... as for fires, there is fire alarms in schools usually directly linked to the fire station. And there are landlines close by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

I also find it a good thing. Relationships and personal contact are already eroding because of abuse of cellphone usage, no need to let it happen from an early age to make it worse. It's even worse in college campuses, when you are invited to give lectures and everyone is constantly picking up the cellphone.

When i went to school, all kinds of personal phones/gameboys and similar things were banned and they were confiscated untill the end of the trimester.

- - - Updated - - -

Then give them old style ones, that only have a call function. I think if it was just that they wouldn't need to ban phones in the first place.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2017-12-12 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    One reason is that they can be used to bully others. Through recording, social apps, or just cause they don't got the latest <insert hip brand>.
    Everything can be used to bully people.

They aren't needed in schools, so I don't see a problem here. It's school, not social media super fun time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good.

You're in school to study, not play Angry Birds and update your Instagram account.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

7+ Year Old Account
    many kids made it thru school before cell phones where around, its called social interaction, its a skill most of these idiots need to learn.

Good idea. Young people should socialize in reality more so they have more experience with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.