Thread: Ketogenic diet

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My opinion is that if you treat your body like a science experiment and eat healthy/work out it's only a matter of time before you get to be where you want in terms of physique, you just have to be patient
    Last edited by Polygons; 2017-12-13 at 10:27 AM.

Deleted
    A friend had type 2 diabetes for 5 years. He tried keto, after 3 months, doctor told him his A1C is 5.3. He went off any medications, insulin shots. Oh and he did lazy keto.

I saw reddit posts where a KD helps with depression, ADHD, definitely with epilepsy, as this was used 100 years ago for kids.

Search type1grit, its a facebook community that have type 1 diabetes and they are following DR Berstein diet, (its smilier to low carb) and they achieve non diabetic blood sugars.

Overall Keto is not even close to a fad diet, as it has a background history of helping people maintaining their diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    But that doesn't mean I will say it works for everyone, because it involves cutting out close to 100% added sugars, close to 100% already prepared food (convenience food) and almost 100% cooking my own food from fresh (if possible organic) ingredients.
    This is wisdom. Most of you are incapable of doing wise things so Keto is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AQ40 View Post
    Overall Keto is not even close to a fad diet, as it has a background history of helping people maintaining their diseases.
    And healthy people can easily benefit from strictly reducing sugars, processed foods and instead making their own meals from whole food sources.

Deleted
    Just eat in caloric deficit. Make sure you have enough protein. Start working out, full body training - something like StrongLifts 5x5, not brosplits. Do 20 minutes cardio after the work out session. That's how I lost almost 30 kg of fat in 4 months. No crappy diets involved. No calories counting, no eating 8x per day meme.

Personally I love it. I've been on a loose ketogenic diet for years and it is perfect for me. Losing weight though was never my goal so I don't know how well it works for that. I imagine you need to be very strict and completely avoid carbs for that to work.

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    CICO is the only thing that works.
    The body doesn't work the way that you would seem to imagine. For starters, your body is not a raging fire so it doesn't burn calories or anything else; instead the body breaks food into the various components it can use. At best calories represent a very rough approximation of that process.

Honestly, CICO isn't even worth a more serious or lengthy reply. It's just bad science in numerous ways, but mainly by being a bad analogy for simpletons. CICO is for people that couldn't possibly understand a more complex discussion of the nutritional needs of the human body.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    No, if you continue with a high carb diet it doesn't matter if it's "whole food sources".
    By using the word "and" I meant to indicate not only agreement but to also add that healthy people could also benefit from Keto. Yes, it's meant for people with specific conditions, but there is no reason healthy people couldn't likewise benefit from a diet that so obviously sticks to the basics: no sugars, processed foods - eat whole foods instead by making your own meals and controlling all of the inputs.

Something between Paleo, Keto and intermittent fasting and anybody from any walk of life in any current physical condition is good to go. You will get healthier.

No expert but burn more calories then you consume and you will lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Fad diets are for idiots. That's my opinion.

Its pretty simple, if you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you have the "willpower" to commit to some fad diet then you have the willpower to just eat a normal diet in moderation.
    Go eat nothing but oreos for a month and limit yourself to 100 calories less than your current maintenance calories then come back and tell us how much weight you lost. Also the keto 'diet' isn't really a fad diet. It's a lifestyle diet. If you are eating a ketogenic diet for a month to lose weight, then you are doing it horribly wrong and it's dangerous. If you eat that way consistently and stick to it, then it's fine, but that means keeping your carbs very low all the time. Also, ketosis is not a state of starvation. It's just a state by which your body is naturally utilizing fat as its primary fuel source because no carbohydrates are available to do so, which is okay unless you're sprinting for dear life from leopards or you're an athlete.

If you're fat you gon' fucked up, it isn't the diet that will fix it its the determination. Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    My opinion on diet is that mainly scientists and doctors know whats really bad and good to eat...
    In truth, they know very little and there's very little hard science behind any of the opinions they publicize. Many studies are based on ridiculously small sample sizes. Doctors in particular have almost no significant education in nutrition, often less than 20 hours. In fairness, maybe that number of hours is capable of educating them on the few things we know for certain.

So, sadly no.

Quote Originally Posted by PossibleBit View Post
    Deal is, I found it way easier to get CICO right by doing lazy keto.
    Yeah, I just go CICo and eat tons of chicken and veggies.

Also shit ton of water.

But water tastes great anyways.

Lost over 100 pounds in 2 years. Half of that was lazy keto with 0 exercise.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and try to monitor your electrolytes

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Lost over 100 pounds in 2 years. Half of that was lazy keto with 0 exercise.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and try to monitor your electrolytes
    Curious what did you eat? Most of the time. A list would be appreciated.

I lost about 20 kgs in about 3-4 months with keto (mostly eating cheese and chicken)
    Last edited by George Costanza; 2017-12-13 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    In truth, they know very little and there's very little hard science behind any of the opinions they publicize. Many studies are based on ridiculously small sample sizes. Doctors in particular have almost no significant education in nutrition, often less than 20 hours. In fairness, maybe that number of hours is capable of educating them on the few things we know for certain.

So, sadly no.
    I have to agree with this. Doctors seem to know nothing about nutrition. My doctor for example still thinks you must exercise to lose weight.

It's a shame that the nutrition field is so hectic. You can find arguments and studies for and against low fat while at the same with low carb. I wonder if anyone does low protein? Heh.

The way I see it, low carb (so basically high fat) is a fine diet for primarily sedentary individuals as you don't have to deal with afternoon crashes or feeling exhausted throughout the day. A person that is active and does physically demanding jobs and activities benefits more from a high carb diet.

I feel like we need a few more years for people to really catch up with fat. Until then, I think we should keep an open mind to it.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I have had success with ketogenic dieting and intermittent fasting. I got to around 9% body fat without losing any muscle and strength on it last year.

The problem is that I've also done this and put on more muscle while on a prototypical bodybuilder diet which is high carb, high protein, low fat. The logic behind keto and fasting is that you deplete your glycogen stores when you don't eat carbs for a certain period of time and your body burns fat instead of carbs as a result. The science behind it seems solid but I don't know how true that really is or how effective that makes it compared to a regular diet.

Nutrition is the only scientific discipline I've ever seen where there is so little agreement on anything. Everyone used to say carbs were important but now keto is big and people get good results on it. Everyone used to say high animal protein was important but now vegans and vegetarians say it isn't (I think they are full of shit because they cherry pick evidence to fit their ideology).

Diets that have completely different foods and macros seem to produce good results in different people. I would say try different diets and find one that works for you.
    I've done Keto, I've done eating clean (typical body building diet), and the most success ive had out of anything is intermittent fasting. I've been intermittent fasting for 8 month snow, and im using it cut right now and its insane, im at 12% body fat, and aiming to get to 7-9% and see how long i can hold that. I do however do a semi keto diet, I have whole grain rice as my only card for dinner with my chicken and broccoli, but every other meal during the day is a protein derivative, be it turkey burgers (just the patty) for lunch, so hard boiled eggs, plain roasted peanuts, plain beef jerky, etc... My energy levels are WAY higher than theyve ever been, and im leaning out much better than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    Curious what did you eat? Most of the time. A list would be appreciated.

I lost about 20 kgs in about 3-4 months with keto (mostly eating cheese and chicken)
    Bacon or sausage every morning with an Atkins shake

For lunch usually a salad or low carb wrap(Mission Tortilla)

Beef or Chicken for dinner prepared in some way

One thing you’ll notice is that when your in ketosis your hunger is super mild.

Bacon is the one thing I never get sick of

Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    I've done Keto, I've done eating clean (typical body building diet), and the most success ive had out of anything is intermittent fasting. I've been intermittent fasting for 8 month snow, and im using it cut right now and its insane, im at 12% body fat, and aiming to get to 7-9% and see how long i can hold that. I do however do a semi keto diet, I have whole grain rice as my only card for dinner with my chicken and broccoli, but every other meal during the day is a protein derivative, be it turkey burgers (just the patty) for lunch, so hard boiled eggs, plain roasted peanuts, plain beef jerky, etc... My energy levels are WAY higher than theyve ever been, and im leaning out much better than ever before.
    IF also worked well for me while cutting. I only stopped because I found it very hard to eat enough in my 8 hour window while bulking and I got tired of being hungry in the evening. Semi-keto dieting as you put it is basically what I do now. Keeping carbs down and protein high seems to work well for building muscle and strength while keeping the fat off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keto is fine for a short period of time. In the long run it's bad.
    http://www.eatbalanced.com/why-eat-b...we-need-fibre/
    Your'e supposed to eat plenty of fibre, not eating enough or none at all can be very dangerous. And since foods with high amount of fibre are also with high amount of carbs (fibre is carb) you don't get any on keto diet.
    Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    It works fine but it's not really a realistic diet to be on - basically you can't eat anything normal since most staple foods will have too many carbs, so you can't cheat EVER or you'll get out of ketosis (the body starving thing).

I would suggest just going on a low carb diet instead.
    The "no cheating ever" is the reason the diet works for me. I had to break my sugar addicion lol