Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it in that context before, but watching/ remembering the films, especially the prequels, EVERYTHING just falls into place at the right time to come to the conclusion we see.

We need a ship! Oh there's a ship that's almost done being repaired in the docking bay... I need a lightsaber! Oh...there's one in this box in the basement of this bar that I just happen to be standing in RIGHT NOW, that I got brought to for a completely different reason. I need to get away from these TIE Fighters! Oh...I'm apparently a badass pilot in a ship I've never even flown before IMMEDIATELY after starting it up. I just got my hand chopped off and am about to fall down a pipe into oblivion....good thing my friends who have been in captivity this whole time and fighting to escape just happen to be in a flying ship RIGHT now so they can catch me when I fall. I need to find Yoda on a PLANET I've never been to before and have no idea where he is! Oh...I crashed my ship like 30 feet from his house, cool. We need ot blow up this giant Starkiller base that we don't have plans for! Oh...the stormtrooper who JUST defected and happens to be in this meeting right now just happens to have worked trash detail on that exact station and knows how to blow it up. Jar Jar Binks miraculously lives through all his shenanigans. The list goes ON and ON.
    At least, TFA make an effort to give explanation. ''I worked on sanitation'' might be convenient, but it make more sense than RD-D2 having access codes...

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    At least, TFA make an effort to give explanation. ''I worked on sanitation'' might be convenient, but it make more sense than RD-D2 having access codes...
    Regardless of how they gain access the point is that they just happen to have the information/ means to get the job done at the exact right time they need it.

Personally, I find the idea that R2-D2 having the access codes more plausible/ believable than most other alternatives given the number of times he's been plugged into their systems. If he's been learning and downloading stuff from them, sporadically, for decades, it would make sense that he'd be able to hack their stuff and have codes or whatever to their projects. He's a veritable treasure trove of information and a droid that can think for himself, so he would arguably be able to take the information he has and come to logical conclusions based on that and his experiences to fill in a lot of gaps there might be in his information, especially when that's coupled with the information any spies provide too.

Some random stormtrooper defecting, just happens to find his way to the rebel base and just happens to be in good with the ace pilot and therefore is allowed to listen to the command briefing also just happens to have worked sanitation on the exact base the rebels are trying to destroy and has been exposed to enough information to know exactly how they can take it out? That makes more sense than R2-D2 having the codes, based on his background?

Regardless of how they gain access the point is that they just happen to have the information/ means to get the job done at the exact right time they need it.

Personally, I find the idea that R2-D2 having the access codes more plausible/ believable than most other alternatives given the number of times he's been plugged into their systems. If he's been learning and downloading stuff from them, sporadically, for decades, it would make sense that he'd be able to hack their stuff and have codes or whatever to their projects. He's a veritable treasure trove of information and a droid that can think for himself, so he would arguably be able to take the information he has and come to logical conclusions based on that and his experiences to fill in a lot of gaps there might be in his information, especially when that's coupled with the information any spies provide too.

Some random stormtrooper defecting, just happens to find his way to the rebel base and just happens to be in good with the ace pilot and therefore is allowed to listen to the command briefing also just happens to have worked sanitation on the exact base the rebels are trying to destroy and has been exposed to enough information to know exactly how they can take it out? That makes more sense than R2-D2 having the codes, based on his background?
    Did we had the background of R2-D2 in 1978 ?

Did we had the background of R2-D2 in 1978 ?
    Wasn't sure which movie you were referring to, and no we did not have his back story then. Which codes are you referring to in Episode IV? I don't remember him having or using any codes, he just hacked or connected to the computers and did stuff. It's just kind of accepted apparently that droids in Star Wars can communicate with any computer they connect to and make stuff happen or download information.

Wasn't sure which movie you were referring to, and no we did not have his back story then. Which codes are you referring to in Episode IV? I don't remember him having or using any codes, he just hacked or connected to the computers and did stuff. It's just kind of accepted apparently that droids in Star Wars can communicate with any computer they connect to and make stuff happen or download information.
    It's a monstruous oversigh for a totalitarian empire, isn'it ?

(FTR, it was explained in, of all things, Clone Wars. People are plainly conscious of this security risk and that's why they mind wipe droids. But ''someone'' feels that laws are optional when his robot pal is concerned...)

Wasn't Finn lying about knowing about the base just to get them to take him to the surface to try and rescue Rey and then they brainstormed something after landing on the surface and Rey got out of her cell on her own? Then they had to capture Phasma and threaten her into lowering the shield.
    Last edited by Florena; 2017-12-13 at 07:05 PM.

It's a monstruous oversigh for a totalitarian empire, isn'it ?

(FTR, it was explained in, of all things, Clone Wars. People are plainly conscious of this security risk and that's why they mind wipe droids. But ''someone'' feels that laws are optional when his robot pal is concerned...)
    It's also explained in Clone Wars why R2-D2 doesn't get his mind wiped. Anakin has found that R2 works better, faster, smarter and more independently than droids that get memory wipes and needs that kind of resourcefulness and dependability on his missions. He see's him, and uses him, as a partner rather than a droid. R2 has saved the lives of several people as a result of his independence.

It's also a law within the Empire, R2-D2 is clearly not an imperial droid who now fights against the Empire working directly with the Rebels. Since he now works for the Rebels why would they comply with that law?

I don't see it as so much an oversight (because it's clearly not, since everyone know about it and some counter measures do exist to combat it) so much as that's simply how droids work in that universe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Wasn't Finn lying about know about the base just to get them to take him to the surface to try and rescue Rey and then they brainstormed something after landing on the surface and Rey got out of her cell on her own? Then they had to capture Phasma and threaten her into lowering the shield.
    I remember him knowing how to take out the base, he just didn't have the clearance or ability to have the shield lowered so they had to get Phasma to do it for them. That was the plan though from the beginning. Take out heat dissipation thingys, but can't while shields are up, so get under the shield sneak in and get the shields taken down so fighters can come in and take out the base.

Just saw it.

Impressions below.
    Warning: heavy spoilers.

- Best scene: rey lifting some rocks.
    - Second best scene: kid playing with a broomstick.
    - Third best scene: FTL attack.[SIZE=1] But why didn't they use that against the death star? [/SIZE]
    - Fourth best scene: shoulder wipe, and the whole minute preceeding it.
    - Fifth best scene: No shirt.

Seriously; this movie had some amazing moments. But also some terrible pacing. The first half of the film lacked a [I]goal[/I]. Find some locksmith? That's a sidequest. And it felt like one. I liked the implications this sidequest had, of there being something else in the galaxy than the eternal empire/rebels struggle, and rebels recruiting from the opressed. But it still took about 30 minutes too much.

I'm on the edge regarding some of the new character. Rose should have been in the previous movie I feel, because her addition felt tacked on. The new admiral ended up being an antagonist for no reason, and Ackbar could have fit the role. Imagine him him setting up a trap? it would have been memetic. Instead, they used a human actor for that role. And while I can see why that happened due to needing a character with depth (3d figures fail that), I'm still not sure it was a useful addition. It feels like the writing part could have needed a bit of a [I]trim[/I].

Snopes dying in what is either the ickiest set of irony ever, or him knowing exactly what was going on? That's either a foreshadowing that he is still alive somehow (rey and kylo did connect at the end of the movie supporting that), or the most wasted potential of a evil character since Count Dooku. On the upside, seeing Kylo Ren take control of the order was an amazing twist that seriously helped the film as a whole.

All in all, I liked the movie. I especially liked the small foreshadowing. When Yoda burns up the tree, and affirms that Rey already has all she needs - only we later find that she actually stole the books. Such a cheesy lie; palpatine had nothing on that kind of misdirection! Luke going all memetic overlord on us, talking first about how he became a legendary jedi and thus failed at being a human, but goes out by creating the legend of an unkillable jedi. I cannot imagine Kylo Ren ever feeling safe again. And that makes it awesome.

Worth watching. Not better than episode 5. But up there, despite its flaws.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

This was watchable but had a lot of issues.

Here are my thoughts:

- the pacing was terrible. The first half was too long and slow. Finn side quest was pointless and the timeline of it made no sense. The jarring attempts for comedy also did it no favors.

- the speed of the spaceships was jarring and really broke the story. It just wasn't beleivable and didn't make any sense. Why did the tie fighters pull back? The reasons they gave were terrible. Also how could the rebel crafts fly to the planet without been tracked? The order cab track you through hyperspace but cannot see a bunch of craft launching in visual range? The bombers at the start were also stupidly slow. This is not how you do space battles.

- character growth was dealt with witha sledge hammer and failure the overriding theme of the movie.

- porgs were nothing but toy sale marketing

Will have to watch again when I am not tired to really see what it is like and I wasn't missing anything. Better than TFA but still has issues and shows disney doesn't fully understand what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    This was watchable but had a lot of issues.

Here are my thoughts:

- the pacing was terrible. The first half was too long and slow. Finn side quest was pointless and the timeline of it made no sense. The jarring attempts for comedy also did it no favors.

- the speed of the spaceships was jarring and really broke the story. It just wasn't beleivable and didn't make any sense. Why did the tie fighters pull back? The reasons they gave were terrible. Also how could the rebel crafts fly to the planet without been tracked? The order cab track you through hyperspace but cannot see a bunch of craft launching in visual range? The bombers at the start were also stupidly slow. This is not how you do space battles.

- character growth was dealt with witha sledge hammer and failure the overriding theme of the movie.

- porgs were nothing but toy sale marketing

Will have to watch again when I am not tired to really see what it is like and I wasn't missing anything. Better than TFA but still has issues and shows disney doesn't fully understand what they are doing.
    The Y-Wings and X-Wings in both Death Star battles go slower than World War One biplanes. (I use those examples because the battle of Yavin allow to calculate fairly well possible speeds, with the radius of the Death Star and the horizon of a spacecraft on it's surface)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2017-12-13 at 09:38 PM.

The Y-Wings and X-Wings in both Death Star battles go slower than World War One biplanes. (I use those examples because the battle of Yavin allow to calculate fairly well possible speeds, with the radius of the Death Star and the horizon of a spacecraft on it's surface)
    Yes and these the bombers in this were even slower? The whole space chase and justification of it was incredibly weak.

Few things after just coming from theatre;

Few things. Terrible pacing, especially first half. Also first third had some near slapstick comedy level 'humour' in it.

All in all, it had genuinely touching moments, genuinely thrilling moments and good moments. But the stuff above really brought it down a pinch.

Felt like the director had issues with setting the tone for a considerable part of the movie. Also that one scene with Leia made me groan.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2017-12-13 at 09:41 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Yes and these tye vombers in this were even slower?
    Star Wars never got a realist speed for the aircraft. Even classical beloved games like TIE FIGHTER and Rogue Squadron have them going at speed that would have been low for WW1 (I calculated once that an Y-Wing making a torpedo run on the trench was going slower than a Swordfish attacking the Bismarck...)

Deleted
    FFS, Luke flew against Darth Vader (Sith Lord, veteran of hundred of space battle) and survived in the very first movie...
    Really? I missed that part...In my SW there was a scene when DV flew against Luke who barely survives....getting a direct hit, then getting into the middle of targeting computer, but thanks to Han he managed to survive.....Maybe I`ve seen the director`s cut version....

Quote Originally Posted by cateran View Post
    Really? I missed that part...In my SW there was a scene when DV flew against Luke who barely survives....getting a direct hit, then getting into the middle of targeting computer, but thanks to Han he managed to survive.....Maybe I`ve seen the director`s cut version....
    Darth Vader not being able to shoot a rookie pilot in the middle of a trench is textbook plot armor.

Star Wars never got a realist speed for the aircraft. Even classical beloved games like TIE FIGHTER and Rogue Squadron have them going at speed that would have been low for WW1 (I calculated once that an Y-Wing making a torpedo run on the trench was going slower than a Swordfish attacking the Bismarck...)
    But the pace of them felt fine. This just felt silly. Add in the forced over the top humor and the cringe fest that was Leias wizard in space moment and I was left feeling this was not a great movie and had few good points.

Everything just felt forced too hard and dekt with no finesse what so ever. From cast, story line, character developemnt and hunor it was just smashed in with a sledge hammer.

I really wonder what kind of SW movie people watched to think they were SUBTLE.

Deleted
    Does Leia fly through space to her ship?

The film was... better than TFA, but still not the best one. Maybe in the TOP4(After TESB, ROS, ROTJ).

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Tagachi View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Tagachi View Post
    Yes and it was so cringe my teeth began to crumble when I ground them together.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988