Thread: Ketogenic diet

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Lol at the "you should speak with your doctor about ketogenic diet" comments. You won't get very far.

Even diabetic educators are ill prepared on the topic, which is a shame.

The only medical professionals informed on the subject are people dealing with pediatric seizure issues where keto diet has been proven to be very successful.
    Some progressive oncologists have been catching on too.

The diet works; it's just incredibly difficult to stick with long term. Then again, when it's a matter of life and death...
    My dad and brother are both T1. They eat whatever the fuck carbs they want because they exercise, that usually deals the the vast bulk of it. So even for actual diabetics it's not that important.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    As long as you aren't deficient in anything and eat around your BMR then eat whatever the fuck you want.

All 'diets' are is calories out > calories in, in their most simple form. Fat people that say they can't lose weight just have a warped sense of what a deficit is.
    That's only half true, if you eat on a deficit for a while, especially a larger one, your metabolism will slow down and you will plateau and need to eat less and less to keep weight coming off, and when you have achieved your goal and try going back to your typical average caloric intake (like ~2000 calories for a moderately active male), you will find it is simply too much. Good short term, bad long term. Ever see the show The Biggest Loser? That's why pretty much most of them go back to being fat after the show.

And this is a discussion about keto, not "this other thing worked for me so do that".

Fact is, it is a very healthy way of eating, it is good for weight loss, sustained energy, inflammation (this is a huge HUGE benefit) and many others like insulin resistance ie. reversing diabetes.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2017-12-13 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    My dad and brother are both T1. They eat whatever the fuck carbs they want because they exercise, that usually deals the the vast bulk of it. So even for actual diabetics it's not that important.
    I wish both of them good luck. Sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDFreaK View Post
    Hello guys

I would like to talk about the keto diet. I have lost weight doing it and it is probably the best diet in my opinion because of how it naturally suppresses a person's appetite. Can't lose weight without eating less calories of course!

But the thing is people are still opposed to a diet that is high fat. There are people out there that have made this their way of eating as well and are perfectly healthy. Yet some refuse to accept it. Or most of the world actually.

What is your opinion on this diet and fat in general? Should we still stick to the low fat idea?
    Most diets are BS. You may lose weight but that doesn't mean the diet is healthy for you. There was a documentary made about identical twins one was on a low fat diet, the other was on a high fat diet. The twin on the low fat diet had more energy and lost more weight. The twin on the high fat diet lost both muscle mass and fat and at the end of the diet was pre-diabetic. There is a thing called the Australian Dietary guidelines its not the latest fanciest diet but its tried and tested. I imagine other countries have similar guidelines.
    Last edited by Ginantonicus; 2017-12-13 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginantonicus View Post
    Most diets are BS. You may lose weight but that doesn't mean the diet is healthy for you. There was a documentary made about identical twins one was on a low fat diet was went on a high fat diet. The twin on the low fat diet had more energy and lost more weight. The twin on the high fat diet lost both muscle mass and fat and at the end of the diet was pre-diabetic. There is a thing called the Australian Dietary guidelines its not the latest fanciest diet but its tried and tested. I imagine other countries have similar guidelines.
    You mention low fat vs hight fat, you didn't mention what kind of fat (very important) and if they still ate a carbs (also very important). Your argument has nothing to do with keto.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    You mention low fat vs hight fat, you didn't mention what kind of fat (very important) and if they still ate a carbs (also very important). Your argument has nothing to do with keto.
    Really you fail to see the link with eating a high fat diet and a high fat diet causing health problems.

Really you fail to see the link with eating a high fat diet and a high fat diet causing health problems.
    Fat is good for you. Not processed fat like canola oil or high in omega 6 and low omega 3 which are both really imflammatory, but eating high GOOD fats will give you myriad health benefits. Do your research and don't base it on one documentary that sop far you haven't even mentioned all the other elements to such as what kind of fats, carb intake and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Unless your body violates the laws of physics, you will lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume, no matter what you eat. Your body cannot cultivate mass out of nothing, kiddo.

It doesn't matter if all you eat for a month is Cheetos, Mcdonalds, loaves of bread, tubs of lard, etc. If you limit your calorie intake and burn the same energy, you will weigh less. Though obviously your health will probably be in a sorry state in other areas if all you eat are Cheetos for a month.
    This is pretty much it and it has been proven over and over, you can even lose weight even on a twinkie diet . The most important thing is to find what works for you and is best for your health as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

I have been doing the Ketogenic way of eating for 3 years. I lost 60lbs, and with in 3 months my Blood sugars normalized. for the past 3 years my A1C have been 5.4 or lower. It has controlled my Blood sugars so good my Doctors took me off my Diabetes meds. Its really a great way of eating.

dietdoctor.com
    Ibreathimhungry.com
    Ruled.me
    all great resources.

Its not a diet tho, its a life style change. Keto has had more scientific study and backing then any other "diet"
    It is also not a High protein diet. It is moderate protein , high fat, low carb
    Last edited by Dystemper; 2017-12-14 at 12:45 AM.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Deleted
    Keto works fine but is not for everyone. Somee people can't handle ketosis very long. Like 2 weeks and I felt so braindead having trouble to concentrate. Some others I know have zero problems though. Also if you wanna do it right you gotta eat the healthy stuff (avocados, quality meat, seafood etc) saw so many people doing ketogenic diets with processed sausage meat shit products who then wondered why they felt so shitty at the gym.
    In the end everyone has to find his own way how to lose or maintain weight. Renegade diet works fine for me and suits perfect to my lifestyle. While my best friend nearly went insane when he tried it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    I have been doing the Ketogenic way of eating for 3 years. I lost 60lbs, and with in 3 months my Blood sugars normalized. for the past 3 years my A1C have been 5.4 or lower. It has controlled my Blood sugars so good my Doctors took me off my Diabetes meds. Its really a great way of eating.

dietdoctor.com
    Ibreathimhungry.com
    Ruled.me
    all great resources.

Its not a diet tho, its a life style change. Keto has had more scientific study and backing then any other "diet"
    It is also not a High protein diet. It is moderate protein , high fat, low carb

You did refeeds though right? 3 years would never be managable for me, I only did a few months and got the results I wanted though it was pretty hard for me to get into ketosis.
    I pretty much had to go <25g carbs a day to stay in it...
    Last edited by mmoca617248aed; 2017-12-14 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Einst3in View Post
    Keto works fine but is not for everyone. Somee people can't handle ketosis very long. Like 2 weeks and I felt so braindead having trouble to concentrate. Some others I know have zero problems though. Also if you wanna do it right you gotta eat the healthy stuff (avocados, quality meat, seafood etc) saw so many people doing ketogenic diets with processed sausage meat shit products who then wondered why they felt so shitty at the gym.
    In the end everyone has to find his own way how to lose or maintain weight. Renegade diet works fine for me and suits perfect to my lifestyle. While my best friend nearly went insane when he tried it...
    You probably never actually entered ketosis or stayed there very long. You have a very clear mind if you're in it.

Renegade diet uses a long fasting window each day which essentially puts you into a state of ketosis. It uses insulin spikes, which work to increase growth hormone production during your fasting cycle. I do something similar to renegade, just lower carb intake with high carb days every 10-11 days. Cycling through this for a month is a good 10lbs weight loss (for me at least) while gaining muscle/strength.
    Last edited by Dald; 2017-12-14 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Fat is good for you. Not processed fat like canola oil or high in omega 6 and low omega 3 which are both really imflammatory...
    Erm... Omega-3 is an anti-inflammatory.

... but eating high GOOD fats will give you myriad health benefits.
    Correct. I would also include plant sterols in that. They have a very similar structure LDL (bad cholesterol). While not technically a fat they are adsorbed using the same system as LDL. Therefore your body absorbs less LDL.

Do your research and don't base it on one documentary that sop far you haven't even mentioned all the other elements to such as what kind of fats, carb intake and so on.
    Correct I didn't. Because this documentary is from years ago and I cant remember. I did however provide details on where to find info about health diets and as we have just seen you are providing wrong information so perhaps its you that needs to do the research.

Two weeks? Sounds like keto flu or not yet fat adapted yet, so your brain isn't yet using fat as a energy source properly yet. Generally when you drastically change your diet you should give at least 4 weeks. And yeah, it's not for everyone but there is so much false shit about it including in this thread. All I can say is try it if you are looking to lose weight or cut back on carbs, but most importantly do your research.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Ginantonicus;48347242]Erm... Omega-3 is an anti-inflammatory. /QUOTE]

I know, I said high in omega 6 LOW in omega 3. You want HIGH in omega 3 and low in omega 6.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    You probably never actually entered ketosis or stayed there very long. You have a very clear mind if you're in it.
    I ate around 20g carbs a day to get into ketosis and checked it with a test several times during the week. I did the diet for like 2 months and then I reached my desired body fat percentage. But it was hard for me. I really often had times where I had problems to concentrate, even though I did my refeeds properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it and it worked for me however it's a hard diet to be on... you pretty much have to cook your own meals, and ingredients can be expensive... also it's quite restrictive in terms of what you can eat...

I ate around 20g carbs a day to get into ketosis and checked it with a test several times during the week. I did the diet for like 2 months and then I reached my desired body fat percentage. But it was hard for me. I really often had times where I had problems to concentrate, even though I did my refeeds properly.
    Well, that sucks.

Sounds like you weren't watching your electrolytes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Well, that sucks.
    Nah, it's all good. Like I said, I found my way with another diet...but this thread got me a bit curious again because I wanted to shift my nutrition back into less carbs and more healthy fats again. My carb consumption got a bit outta hand because of the training and fun I have at the gym...but tbh it made a few other health issues of mine a bit worse. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Sounds like you weren't watching your electrolytes.
    Don't know about that tbh. But I supplemented calcium and magnesium asside of my usual vitamine d3 and k2 supplementation. Also I ate LOTS of avocados...
    Last edited by mmoca617248aed; 2017-12-14 at 01:11 AM.

I know, I said high in omega 6 LOW in omega 3. You want HIGH in omega 3 and low in omega 6.
    No I did not say that. Your wording makes it look like you are claiming Omega-3 is an inflammatory.

No I did not say that. Your wording makes it look like you are claiming Omega-3 is an inflammatory.
    Rereading it, yes it does, I meant canola oil and fats with high in omega 6 whilst being low in omega 3's.