Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post

--DPS was not balanced as close as it is now. Here's a pic from a Curse Patchwerk vid, some classes are doing about half as much as others.https://ibb.co/fsOR7b Feel free to analyze that or post other screenshots, because I'm missing all the context (i.e. gear) of that kill. - End game raiding was not balance for DPS at all. Optimal raid makeup for Naxx (alliance side) was 8 warriors(2 full prot, 6 fury/prot), 4 holy/disc priests, 9 mages(all fire), 9 rogues, 2warlocks(for COE and COR), 2 Druids (resto), 4 Pali(Mixed specs to get all blessing but they all healed since throughput was not overly effected by spec) and 2 hunters(pull bitches, tranq shot).
    Interesting, I added this
    Fire mages were a thing in Naxx and AQ because rolling ignites was kind of broken at the time. The first mage to get the crit was fed by all the other mage's crits... Frost was the only viable spec for MC and BWL though. So that kind of proves that multiple specs were useful. Furthermore, the fact that rolling ignites were so good, and that screenshot you posted shows several mages as Frost spec, clearly something odd was going on, especially on Patchwerk which was a DPS race fight. You can see they are 5 secs from the enrage... They are clearly a casual guild who allow suboptimal specs into their raid.

What was the actual mage spec for MC and BWL because I remember Evocate being more important than just about anything else.

Also...if that was the actual guild Curse they were competing for World Firsts and not the least bit casual. It's possible it's just a private server or some other guild named Curse, though, I dunno any of their names.

They may have been frost for threat reasons, I dunno. Patchwerk would Hateful Strike positions 2-5 on threat so they needed to be 6 or lower possibly...dunno what happened if #2-5 were at range.

Hatefuls didn't hit anyone at range. Maybe Horde could run with Frost due to Horde racials giving Horde raids higher dps.... and not having BoS to help control threat might have made Iceblock more attractive.

Updated the raid lockout section.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I have never read so much BS together in one post.

I have done every singe raid in the game except Naxx 40 as a Hunter, and I have never had to feign and drink in the middle of a boss fight. I can't be arsed with the rest of your ignorant BS tbh.
    Feign + drink was completely normal in raiding, what are you on about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Fire mages were a thing in Naxx and AQ because rolling ignites was kind of broken at the time. The first mage to get the crit was fed by all the other mage's crits... Frost was the only viable spec for MC and BWL though. So that kind of proves that multiple specs were useful. Furthermore, the fact that rolling ignites were so good, and that screenshot you posted shows several mages as Frost spec, clearly something odd was going on, especially on Patchwerk which was a DPS race fight. You can see they are 5 secs from the enrage... They are clearly a casual guild who allow suboptimal specs into their raid.
    Tell me more about how all the warlock specs were useful. Please.

Why is it I'm thinking that you couldn't interact with items on the ground? I know there were quest items you could pick up, but what was it I think in Cata that changed how you could interact with the world?

Also added that there were no vehicles and that quest items were actual inventory items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    snip
    Over exaggerate much? I've been in runs with multiple people doing over a million dps and we never did that...if anyone pulled mobs it was you...people don't mount up in that instance to pull all the mobs and kill them...they mount up to move quickly and avoid mob pulls...something done even in Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Over exaggerate much? I've been in runs with multiple people doing over a million dps and we never did that...if anyone pulled mobs it was you...people don't mount up in that instance to pull all the mobs and kill them...they mount up to move quickly and avoid mob pulls...something done even in Vanilla.
    You want me to fraps that bullshit to you? You enter that dungeon. All the naga is lined up. Your tank goes in first all pulls everything till the boss. Avoiding? All i see is pull more. It is not exaggerating. It is the fact. If you say that maw of madness or whatever that naga dungeon is called, people dont mount up and pull the mobs you are clearly lying. This is my experience with all this crossserver shit. I also made my demon hunter a tank and this is what I do in any dungeon. I pull at least 2 or 3 packs and we aoe them down. And my gear score is 871 If i remember correctly.

You see I cant give you the dungeons name or the item level of my char properly.
    That much irrelevant they are to the fact that you run left and right pull and aoe down.

You are right in one thing tho. Yes you would want to avoid the the second pack closest to the entrance pack in the room of general drakkisath in blackrock.

10 years ago and I still remember the horror of pulling 2 packs there towards the narrow bridge. 10 years on and the mobs, the dungeon, the gear all irrelevant.

Actually the more gear you get the more you can pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Feign + drink was completely normal in raiding, what are you on about?

- - - Updated - - -
    And was later labeled and exploit by Blizzard.

Tell me more about how all the warlock specs were useful. Please.
    Sure. Read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Domoda
    I mained warlock and re our 3 vanilla specs:

Demo: Depending in where you were in vanilla and which iteration of soul link was current (changed massively during vanilla) people used it for PvP specs to become unkillable DoT machines in battlegrounds. With the most HP of any class, except main tank raiding warriors, the 20% negated damage was just too much for any class to burst down. Demo was never fully used for raiding but 30 points in it for master demonologist and 21 in destro was the main spec for raiding.

Destro: Full destro was also rare, but a novelty spec with spamming searing pain and hoping for crits and then conflagrate and shadowburst for instant damage. 21 destro was very common for Ruin talent with either 30 in affli or demo.

Affli: Very popular for leveling because of sustainability with life tap and self healing. The 31p talent dark pact wasn't very popular at end game either for pvp or pve but dumping 30 points in for shadow mastery (10% more shadow dmg) was very popular, either with 21 in destro for ruin (most popular) or demo for demonic sacrifice.

Merry Christmas, just wanted to share that although I was never big in to the community, I'll never forget logging on near Christmas 2005. I saw I had mail and opened it to find http://www.wowhead.com/item=3857 and a cheeky message from a guildy, who'd sent it to everyone in the guild.

I had a question...was talking to someone last night about vanilla and she thought the ancients in AV could be summoned multiple times. I didn't think was the case, but other than the lack of reinforcements, I don't know why AV matches would sometimes take as long as they did. Something about farming NPCs for honor?

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a question...was talking to someone last night about vanilla and she thought the ancients in AV could be summoned multiple times. I didn't think was the case, but other than the lack of reinforcements, I don't know why AV matches would sometimes take as long as they did. Something about farming NPCs for honor?
    They lasted forever because of the bottlenecks that groups would get stuck fighting in. The druids and frostwolf mobs could be summoned multiple times and would often cause enough of a distraction to give a little push back for the opposing faction, while other mobs could also be upgraded multiple times. In alliance base for example there was a sort of miniboss that-while not particularly dangerous-was enough of a distraction that it would allow the alliance to regather and push back.
    Speciation Is Gradual

I remember me playing like 10 hours a day and only getting to level 32 in like a month, i was literally just running around and watching stuff, reading quests, talking to people etc. I'm too old for that now

Deleted
    The best of times. Raids like MC especially (with attunement for easy TP access).

Totally looking forward to getting pissed at all the Paladin Horde gear and Shaman Alliance gear. 2 pieces of loot from bosses to gear up 40 players? The best!

I played back in Vanilla and while some parts were definitely better than live, you're kidding yourself if you think it's just a flat out better game. Be as salty as you want, there are pros and cons to both Live and Vanilla. Truth is, Vanilla is horribly player-unfriendly with all its QoL problems and making a simple dungeon on average take about an hour just to form the group and get everyone there if it's far away, then another 2 hours to run it. This is fine for people who have the time (early-year college students and younger) but simply doesn't work for adults with jobs and families to take care of (which I would imagine is the majority of the WoW pop right now, and almost definitely the entire pop of the original Vanilla players).

I'd love to go back to Classic raids, especially the ones I've missed, but I don't know if I can with all the horrible QoL issues. I did my time with Vanilla and while it was fun, I really don't think I can go back, at least not without some coaxing (unlocking removed mogs to my live account maybe?).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzinx View Post
    I remember me playing like 10 hours a day and only getting to level 32 in like a month, i was literally just running around and watching stuff, reading quests, talking to people etc. I'm too old for that now
    Same for me. I had so much time when I was 14 (24 now) haha! Plus it’ll never be the same. It’ll never be “new” again, but some people just prefer the old game design of Vanilla relative to retail, that’s why they’ll be playing it. My favourite iteration of WoW is WoTLK so I won’t be getting that any time soon.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    The druids and frostwolf mobs could be summoned multiple times
    I don't remember that being the case, but I didn't really do battlegrounds much until I had to for gear in BC.

But could the elemental lords be summoned multiple times?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    Same for me. I had so much time when I was 14 (24 now) haha! Plus it’ll never be the same. It’ll never be “new” again, but some people just prefer the old game design of Vanilla relative to retail, that’s why they’ll be playing it. My favourite iteration of WoW is WoTLK so I won’t be getting that any time soon.
    As long as Blizzard follows through with their promise of bringing back Classic as it was in Vanilla, your wish with respects to Wrath may not be so far fetched. The question has already been set up for Classic BC servers, which had a huge support. Wrath would too, without question. Blizzard knows these three time periods of the WoW franchise were the best and produced the most money.

One of the other things I gotta add is how pets were way more buggy and died all the time on certain boss fights.

One of the other things I gotta add is how pets were way more buggy and died all the time on certain boss fights.
    kinda remember shouting to hunters/warlocks in ubrs to discard their pets before jumping to the arena for example