Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Knowing how 99% of all stories will end doesnt mean nothing of consequence happened in the story...

Im sure people didnt think the Empire was going last through ROTJ.
    What if it does, here? Their allies abandoned them, they're down to about twelve people. Episode VIII was rather subversive for Star Wars' usual themes. What if in Episode IX, the bad guys win?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    ??? Pretty sure he wanted to join the rebellion not the empire. He talked about his friends already joining and you meet one of them later in the movie named Biggs.
    No he literally talks about the Imperial Academy. It just so happened that Biggs Darklighter also defected to the Rebellion.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2017-12-19 at 01:27 AM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    So you can't list them? Okay.
    I guess you imagine you won some fucked up argument...and you think in some fucked up way that I'm going to like this piece of shit because...?

Knowing how 99% of all stories will end doesnt mean nothing of consequence happened in the story...

Im sure people didnt think the Empire was going last through ROTJ.
    The Resistance still has friends...is my point.

There's still a larger Resistance.

Plus the First Order lost a lot of people too.

??? Pretty sure he wanted to join the rebellion not the empire. He talked about his friends already joining and you meet one of them later in the movie named Biggs.
    Actually I have to wonder if any of these people that think the current movie was so good knows of anything about the earlier movies beyond reading about it on the 'net.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is actually what the pitch meeting was like. Verbatim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    What if it does, here? Their allies abandoned them, they're down to about twelve people. Episode VIII was rather subversive for Star Wars' usual themes. What if in Episode IX, the bad guys win?

- - - Updated - - -

No he literally talks about the Imperial Academy. It just so happened that Biggs Darklighter also defected to the Rebellion.
    Maybe. The Resistance has had to run off with its tail between its legs in both movies. I pointing out events in the story arent with consequences and knowing the outcome doesnt change that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I think this is actually what the pitch meeting was like. Verbatim.
    I think my snark-meter broke listening to all of that...

as much as i really loved the light speed thing

here is my gripe with that

WHY NOT JUST DO THAT ALL THE TIME?!???!?!

every ship in star wars can go light speed... why not just take a ship. empty it out. point it at somethign you want destroyed, then light speed it....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Actually I have to wonder if any of these people that think the current movie was so good knows of anything about the earlier movies beyond reading about it on the 'net.
    Well according to Veredyn he wanted to join the imperial academy. I will have to go back and watch it again as I don't remember it that way but I guess its possible all be it really convenient that Biggs also happened to defect and be there at the end of the movie. That being said there are clearly a lot of people praising these new movies that really don't seem to have any knowledge of the previous movies. Of course even if they only watched these two movies there is little consistency between them given the different writers/directors and I find it hard to find things that are praise worthy. TLJ and TFA are just bad.

I don't give a shit if you like the movie or not. I'm just poking holes in arguments thrown about by butt hurt fanboys who got TLJ instead of carbon coby of ESB.
    But that's just it, you didn't do a damn thing...except use your imagination.

I don't give a shit if you like the movie or not. I'm just poking holes in arguments thrown about by butt hurt fanboys who got TLJ instead of carbon coby of ESB.
    You make it sound like TLJ didn't copy a bunch of stuff from ESB(and some of RTJ). There were several things copied out of ESB. TLJ isn't nearly as original as people seem to think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    The Resistance still has friends...is my point.

There's still a larger Resistance.

Plus the First Order lost a lot of people too.
    Who? No one replied. No one came to help them. They are the only fighters left. Either in 9 they are going to have to rally people to their cause of there will be a time jump where that already happened. But as of the end of the movie theres only those who made it to the Falcon. The First Order lost a handful of people. What? A ship, a couple of TIE pilots, maybe a few trooper squads got spaced, thats not counting troops throughout the galaxy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    as much as i really loved the light speed thing

here is my gripe with that

WHY NOT JUST DO THAT ALL THE TIME?!???!?!

every ship in star wars can go light speed... why not just take a ship. empty it out. point it at somethign you want destroyed, then light speed it....
    You have to danger close to a ship and calculate a path the intersects with the ship right before you enter hyperspace. She wouldve never pulled it off if the First Order didnt just sit there and watch her. In any other incident they would have fired up the ship before the engines could even rev up.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So I just went back and watched it again. He says nothing about the imperial academy. He says join the academy which could be the imperial academy or just about any other academy in the galaxy. The fact that his friend is with the rebels at the end indicates to me that they were not joining up with the empire.

- His father was a Jedi.

Literally only thing on that list that Rey doesn't have word for word common with Luke, and even that is subject to debate as Kylo might just have been lying to Rey.

Though I'm more inclined to believe that Rey is special because for a time, she was the only person(that we know of) in the galaxy who was connected to the light side of the Force.
    IN the book that was made non-canon.... Han and leia had twins who both were able to use the force.

The boy succumbed to the dark side.
    The girl defeated the boy.

At least that's how I remembered and its been a long time since I read these.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I just went back and watched it again. He says nothing about the imperial academy. He says join the academy which could be the imperial academy or just about any other academy in the galaxy. The fact that his friend is with the rebels at the end indicates to me that they were not joining up with the empire.
    I think if there was another academy we wouldve heard about it by now...the only other major military power were the Mandaloreans, which he certainly wasnt about to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post

-Rey used the jedi mind trick in TFA. This is problematic, the Jedi Mind Trick is one of the tougher Jedi force techniques, many masters never use it as effectively as she did. Based on what we've seen previously, force techniques generally require intense training; how long did it take Luke to learn to lift a ship out of the swamp at Dagobah? And Rey can straight up dominate someone's mind with no training, preparation, or idea of how to do it? That's too far out there.

-Rey is an incredible pilot. This is also problematic... it makes sense she's a great mechanic, she's a scavenger,
    so it makes sense that she knows how things work. However, that shouldn't give her more than a synergistic bump to her piloting ability.
    What she did was literally like being a master sailor without ever touching water (unless I'm missing something, she never left Jakku once she was left there, so it's presumable she has no experience in space). It's not unreasonable to assume she has flown ship-type vehicles in atmosphere a few times on Jakku, but piloting in space is a different beast... and with aptitude enough to impress Solo makes this a bit unbelievable.

I guess those are the only major sticking points I have at the moment - but she definitely does kind of feel like she's in danger of becoming the Star Wars equivalent to Superman... it's a tad worrying that she may be so powerful that it doesn't feel like she's ever really in danger. But I don't think we've reached that point yet.
    Is the Jedi Mind Trick presented as a difficult technique in the new, or even old canon? I don't remember that, and seeing as it along with telekinesis are the more well known Jedi powers in the Star Wars universe that must means there were plenty of Jedi running away using it.

I believe there's a YA novel that explains Rey's piloting ability as the AT-AT she was living in containing a flight simulator. Also, she was never shown to be an extraordinary pilot in space, her entire flight was in Jakku's atmosphere.

Who? No one replied. No one came to help them. They are the only fighters left. Either in 9 they are going to have to rally people to their cause of there will be a time jump where that already happened. But as of the end of the movie theres only those who made it to the Falcon. The First Order lost a handful of people. What? A ship, a couple of TIE pilots, maybe a few trooper squads got spaced, thats not counting troops throughout the galaxy.
    You answered who already.

Either we will be shown who answers, or a time jump will occur. But there are people that will answer. Otherwise the bad guys win.

Like...0 suspense.

The academy is the Imperial academy, Biggs defected.

At this point I think the Empire's perspective needs to be shown.

If nothing else it should be far more interesting.