Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulatomten View Post
    . The most they have to do is to deal with the servers and get the acual core from the Nostalrius Devs.
    Once Classic acually launches they have to have gotten some CMs & GMs and train them for the Classic project.
    And this again.

Blizzard doesn't need Nostalrius core, nor will they need it.

They have their own game, their own patches, all available in their library. They just have to pick one and tweak accordingly. They have 0 need for nostalrius core, and it would actually be a bad decision to use a custom made core instead of their - already existing one -. Stop repeating this, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Arckos View Post
    My fam...cough cough...santa didn't bring me anything for christmas. Blizzard, please be my santa, and give me some news about classic wow, thank you
    What news do you want? It's the same game that came out 13 years ago and you've got all the info you need about it.
    If it's a release date you want then you probably need to wait a few years at least.

J. Allen Brack:

"Fans of World of Warcraft around the world, we hear you," Brack told the crowd. "I am pleased and also a little bit nervous to announce the development of a classic server option for World of Warcraft. This is a larger endeavor than you might imagine, but we are committed to making an authentic, Blizzard-quality classic experience."
    “This is a massive effort. This is a very, very significant effort. I would not expect it to be soon. We actually don’t know when we’re going to release it. I know that’s a generic answer that we give for all of our Blizzard titles, but with this one, we don’t actually know how long it will take.
    It's going to be some time.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    That would be now. I don't see any Classic Servers up. I do not even see a Beta....i do not even see an announcement for a Beta. Get real: At 2018 Blizzcon we will ENTER the real debate phase over which features should be in. And the actual launch will be exactly t the 15th anniversary, which is close to Blizzcon 2019.
    You're expecting a beta? For classic servers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    uhhh what? you really think its coming out in just a few months?
    dude they just fucking started devolpment, it wont be out for another year or two atleast...
    I'm curious what kind of development you guys think is required for a game THAT ALREADY EXISTS.

Sorry, but their focus will be on BfA. 2 months is too much? You're in for a very harsh time.

Blizzard takes the holidays off. Even if they had news, you certainly shouldn't expect it December/early January.

They just hired the senior developer, they're literally just getting started with the development.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I'm curious what kind of development you guys think is required for a game THAT ALREADY EXISTS.
    It doesn't exist, that's the whole point. If it already existed they didn't have to hire a large team of client developers, they could just release the game.

Just post this again:

"Fans of World of Warcraft around the world, we hear you," Brack told the crowd. "I am pleased and also a little bit nervous to announce the development of a classic server option for World of Warcraft. This is a larger endeavor than you might imagine, but we are committed to making an authentic, Blizzard-quality classic experience."

“This is a massive effort. This is a very, very significant effort. I would not expect it to be soon. We actually don’t know when we’re going to release it. I know that’s a generic answer that we give for all of our Blizzard titles, but with this one, we don’t actually know how long it will take.”
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

My goodness, vanilla wow already got their announcement, what more do they want?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

you guys have been saying "blizzard still hasnt created the team yet" forever... how do you know this? I mean sure they are still recruiting certain positions for "classic games"... but guess what.. they are still recruiting positions for retail.. does that mean retail isnt progressing at all?????

They have definitely started working on classic with what they have. They are just still in need of people to get it ready as soon as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    you guys have been saying "blizzard still hasnt created the team yet" forever... how do you know this? I mean sure they are still recruiting certain positions for "classic games"... but guess what.. they are still recruiting positions for retail.. does that mean retail isnt progressing at all?????

They have definitely started working on classic with what they have. They are just still in need of people to get it ready as soon as they can.
    Not just "Classic Games"

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-gb/openings/on1k6fwy

SOFTWARE ENGINEER, CLASSIC WOW
    They did recently pull the "Senior Software Engineer, Classic WoW" career posting though. So they are getting closer to filling that team up it would seem.

And no...it doesn't mean they aren't working on it right now...but it's a pretty good indication they still have a lot to do.

Also there's the whole fact that the last thing they said about Classic WoW was not to expect it anytime soon.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2018-01-04 at 12:58 AM.

It doesn't exist, per Blizzard. Whether that's because they never thought they'd ever do anything like this or not is besides the point. The game continued to evolve. Over the years, they have changed so much code that it's no where near the original.
    People are saying it will take all this time because to make Classic servers their choices are to completely remake the game or to completely reverse engineer everything from current. Blizzard stated they don't have the original code anymore.
    Even when Blizz met with the Nost people, this came up. Namely how Nost reverse engineered some things and then approximated others based on old data and screenshots. Even with the people talking about how great Nost is and how they should just do it seem to forget that it wasn't vanilla, just a close approximation. Blizzard doesn't want an approximation, as they would want people to have THE vanilla experience, for better or worse.

They're not writing/programming any new content here, people. The game won't take 2 years to make. ROFL. I still can't believe people actually think that. This is a remastering project. It will be finished in 8-10 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    They're not writing/programming any new content here, people. The game won't take 2 years to make. ROFL. I still can't believe people actually think that. This is a remastering project. It will be finished in 8-10 months.
    Quoting for the memory bank. See you in November. And again in November 2019.

Classic isn't a 'remaster' - its a port to a new back end architecture and probably a port to the current mainline client.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post

Classic isn't a 'remaster' - its a port to a new back end architecture and probably a port to the current mainline client.
    Or in other words... a remaster. Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Internal testing only?
    Unlikely.

Possible of course.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

7+ Year Old Account
    yes, there will be, you do know there was a beta and alpha for wow when it first came out right?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Yes, i absolutely do. For two reasons:
    1) Stress testing. Everybody knows that Classic will be packed the first two weeks. WoW had >100M players over its lifespan. Depending on the exact payment method it is not completely unrealistic to expect 5-10M players for the first two weeks. Which means they will have two times the stress on their servers+b.net than during an expansion launch. They NEED to test that. There is no company or government on this planet able to provide an adequately running service able to handle this amount of clients without an extensive beta phase.

2) As i wrote, i expect the actual debate over which patch version/features/gfx updates etc etc to start with Blizzcon 2018. I think it is VERY likely Blizzard wants players to be able to actually test and see any feature that was not available 13 years ago. b.net integration will be there...and i am willing to bet they will include new models (as an OPTION) and all the new GFX options of live as well.

The biggest problem imho will be the actual way servers work. I, and i assume Blizzard as well, anticipate a gargantuan influx of players for the first two weeks and then an incredibly harsh decline until it stabilizes at some amount. Nobody wants X-Realm features for Classic. Server integrity, knowing people...that is VERY important for Classic. You could argue it is the single biggest difference from Classic > live. How do you manage the first two weeks? Do you open up 20-25 servers, knowing only 5 of them will survive the first quarter? Community integrity is the most important thing to get right with Classic. I bet they have no idea how to bring this together right now. And whatever they do come up with eventually will require testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    Internal testing only?
    Unlikely.

Possible of course.
    I'm not sure why it would be unlikely. Don't they beta all the new expansions? Or at least open a PTR for them.

Every new PS that opens has both an alpha and beta phase.